The TV thread

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Flea

Re: The TV thread

Post by Flea »

Consistently amazing.

Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

*****some spoilers in response to Bean's post*****

I think Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell are the second season leads of True Detective. It premiers next month I think. It will be hard act to follow but the casting is s promising start.

As far as Justified goes "we dug coal together" is as honest an ending as one would have hoped. Raylan grew just a little, Boyd stayed Boyd and Ava survived. It's what they do. I read a comparison of this show to songwriting and it said something like Justified was a few simple chords with words put to it that were honest and well told. I can't argue and as luck would have it that's how I like my stories be they screen, stage, song or prose. I loved every minute of Justified and will miss it terribly.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
As far as Justified goes "we dug coal together" is as honest an ending as one would have hoped. I loved every minute of Justified and will miss it terribly.
Yes
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:*****some spoilers in response to Bean's post*****

I think Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell are the second season leads of True Detective. It premiers next month I think. It will be hard act to follow but the casting is s promising start.

As far as Justified goes "we dug coal together" is as honest an ending as one would have hoped. Raylan grew just a little, Boyd stayed Boyd and Ava survived. It's what they do. I read a comparison of this show to songwriting and it said something like Justified was a few simple chords with words put to it that were honest and well told. I can't argue and as luck would have it that's how I like my stories be they screen, stage, song or prose. I loved every minute of Justified and will miss it terribly.
Absolutely. I was referring to the plot line. The last line was fantastic and i should have mentioned that. Note that your description is more or less a description of country music which is totally appropriate too.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

The Americans....just wow.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I will also miss Justified. With that and Sons of Anarchy done, I have no idea what to watch. The only continuing series I'm currently interested in is The Walking Dead.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just finished this...

It was great! Felt like a 13 hour Truckers song.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

sg207 wrote:I will also miss Justified. With that and Sons of Anarchy done, I have no idea what to watch. The only continuing series I'm currently interested in is The Walking Dead.
Try The Americans. I'm still on Season 1, but I'm really digging it and am super impressed w/ its overall quality - acting, writing, thoughtfulness, authenticity (as best as I can judge and w/ appropriate allowances for "it's just a tv show") etc. Top notch and absorbing. And Keri Russell. On top of being beautiful, talented and projecting serious smarts, she has "it." "It" is good.

And just for yucks, there's White Collar. More cute than really good, but just plain fun though wildly uneven. The best episodes are great crap tv and are worth getting through the "let's churn out another one" episodes. Excellent chemistry among all the main characters especially the main bromance.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I had the great misfortune to be in a waiting room today where the Today show was playing. I could not believe what I was seeing. I was never a regular watcher and I knew in a general way that the show had moved from any semblance of news to fluff, but even so the show was so bad I literally had to walk out of the room. I swear that watching that show will reduce your IQ. Historically bad tv. And Kathie Lee? I thought that she was more or less a made to order tv host, which is not exactly high praise but I thought she was supposed to be good at her job. From what I could tell she is not only completely uninteresting, she's unpleasant too. Who would want to watch that?

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Not high art by any means but a fairly compelling plot with some interesting characters. Just started season 2, we'll see.
Beebs is not a ragey man

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Beebs wrote:Image

Not high art by any means but a fairly compelling plot with some interesting characters. Just started season 2, we'll see.
Season two is probably better than season one. Plus P J Harvey is in charge of the music.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

beantownbubba wrote:I had the great misfortune to be in a waiting room today where the Today show was playing. I could not believe what I was seeing. I was never a regular watcher and I knew in a general way that the show had moved from any semblance of news to fluff, but even so the show was so bad I literally had to walk out of the room. I swear that watching that show will reduce your IQ. Historically bad tv. And Kathie Lee? I thought that she was more or less a made to order tv host, which is not exactly high praise but I thought she was supposed to be good at her job. From what I could tell she is not only completely uninteresting, she's unpleasant too. Who would want to watch that?
A good buddy of mine in law school would watch it because he said it was "brain mush" and he needed to absorb something completely idiotic in order to stay sane.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I had the great misfortune to be in a waiting room today where the Today show was playing. I could not believe what I was seeing. I was never a regular watcher and I knew in a general way that the show had moved from any semblance of news to fluff, but even so the show was so bad I literally had to walk out of the room. I swear that watching that show will reduce your IQ. Historically bad tv. And Kathie Lee? I thought that she was more or less a made to order tv host, which is not exactly high praise but I thought she was supposed to be good at her job. From what I could tell she is not only completely uninteresting, she's unpleasant too. Who would want to watch that?
A good buddy of mine in law school would watch it because he said it was "brain mush" and he needed to absorb something completely idiotic in order to stay sane.
I'd call that high risk behavior from somebody who eventually had to pass a bar exam. I'm telling you, that stuff isn't just mush, it's poison; I suspect it insidiously worms its way under your skull and destroys brain cells. I'd recommend something safely stupid like your basic reality show or big bang theory.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Season 5 of Game of Thrones might be the best yet. The first five episodes have all been edge-of-your-seat TV.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

we loves us some Peaky Blinders in this house!!! Keep hoping they work in an AVFC reference, it being Brum and all

Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else into Veep? Consistenly hilarious and it's got Julia Louis-Dreyfus, what else do you need? the most recent episode was great. Most anything Armando Ianuucci is involved with (Veep, The Thick of It, In the Loop, and his epic Alan Partridge work) is top-notch and always features perhaps the finest usage of profanity ever seen (especially when from the mouth of Peter Capaldi)!

Also on HBO, Silicon Valley has really hit its stride this season

Barely_Oakely

Post by Barely_Oakely »

I have a reason to watch TV again:
"Allman Brother's up and windows down." LB3

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else watching

damn, this gritty show is unrelenting in its gloom and heaviness but it is well-acted with a great ensemble, especially Felicity Huffman, whose character is perhaps the most tightly-wound I've seen in ages. Also nice to see a clean-cut W. Earl Brown, completely unrecognizable from his role as Dan in Deadwood. The show isn't perfect, it can get preachy and a little ham-fisted but it's still very worthwhile. It appears that each season will be self-contained, so the next season (#2) will be completely different, though I understand that some of the actors from season 1 will play different roles in season 2. Sounds like this is one of those shows that critics love but with less than stellar ratings, so hopefully it will survive.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

One episode of Mad Men left. I'm gonna miss this show like crazy.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Flea

Post by Flea »

This looks quite fun

Now it's dark.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

stoner.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Your point?
Now it's dark.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

same muppet trailer was posted a couple of posts up.

everybody knows that when someone repeats a muppet post they are mocked with the term stoner.

it's like a stoner law of physics or something.

Flea

Post by Flea »

That makes perfect sense.
Now it's dark.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:

we loves us some Peaky Blinders in this house!!! Keep hoping they work in an AVFC reference, it being Brum and all

Oh dear. Peaky Blinders is set in Small Heath which as any self respecting Villa fan will tell you is where the Sty is located (for non football fans the Sty is where Birmingham City aka Small Heath Alliance play [ the ground's really called St Andrews])
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

whatwouldcooleydo?

dogstar wrote:Oh dear. Peaky Blinders is set in Small Heath which as any self respecting Villa fan will tell you is where the Sty is located (for non football fans the Sty is where Birmingham City aka Small Heath Alliance play [ the ground's really called St Andrews])
Hey, I didn't say it had to be a positive Villa reference from the Blinders :D

Brum City will spend another season in Championship, thankfully looking like Villa will avoid being relegated into joining them. Not impossible still but most likely they look to be safe, away at Southampton will be tough but get to finish at home against Championship-bound Burnley, then on to Wembley for the FA Cup final

whatwouldcooleydo?

we also really dig Copper and Ripper Street

whatwouldcooleydo?

since some may have yet to watch I won't give anything away about the Mad Men finale. This shouldn't reveal anything important: anyone catch who the kid playing Gene Draper was? None other than the kid who played Abel on Sons of Anarchy..... and his eyes were just as "dead" in New York as they were in Charming :lol:

whatwouldcooleydo?

anyone else watching this? If so, thoughts? 3 episodes in I really don't know what to think. After the first 2 I was a bit tempted to throw in the towel (something I rarely do, at least not so early) and was needing the 3rd episode to throw me something to keep me around for 4. It did but just barely. Know nothing of the books so I have no earthly idea where this is going. Giving that M Night Shyamalan I fully expect to get bamboozled but don't mind if the bamboozling is entertaining

whatwouldcooleydo?

Game of Thrones finale, anyone? Holy shit!