NFL 2016

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: NFL 2014

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I love watching Andrew Luck play. Maybe not quite elite but very close.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:Because winning the division means something, even at 7-8-1. And if that team goes on to win it all, didn't they deserve the championship? Didn't the Steelers win a championship after a 9-7 season?

I think that's right but it's still a winning record. If a 7 win team ever won a SB it would be embarrassing.

The difference between 9-7 and 7-8-1 is a missed FG or two
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Ravens survive Bell-less Steelers. Lost in all that chatter was the fact that the Ravens have been pretty beat up as well. 7 CBs & 4 safeties have started. Both tackles were out. Pitta has been gone most of the year. Proud of the way we overcame those setbacks & won a playoff game in Pittsburgh (finally). Hopefully, Flacco can continue his remarkable playoff escapades & the boys can steal one @ Foxboro.

I tend to agree with TC & bubba, that losing teams should not make the playoffs. Even if it is rare, it shouldn't happen. Since it is allowed to happen, then I am all for Carolina running the table & winning it all. Such is the duality of being me.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

That was clearly pass interference in the Detroit-Dallas game. The flag was correctly thrown. Then it was picked up and Dallas came back to win the game.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/08/07/nfl-of ... -party-bus
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Rich Eisen paying tribute to his fallen comrade with a ton of Stuisms. Fuckin' awesome. R.I.P. Stuart Scott.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Bill in CT wrote:That was clearly pass interference in the Detroit-Dallas game. The flag was correctly thrown. Then it was picked up and Dallas came back to win the game.

As a Detroit fan for over 40 years, I could see the 4th quarter coming from a mile away. But it still hurts.

As to the key call, that was not the most egregious case of pass interference you will see, but it was still pass interference. How the hell do they pick up the flag after the call is made? Every Lion fan will be convinced until the day we die that if the teams were reversed on that play it would have stayed a penalty.

That said, Detroit only has itself to blame for losing the game. Stafford had a marginal second half and just doesn't seem to have the same ability to deliver under pressure that the special quarterbacks have. They gave up too many big plays on 3rd down in the second half, and on 4th and 6. I would have liked to have seen more blitzing from the defense in the second half. They did a great job of putting pressure on Romo in the first half by just rushing four, but as the game went on the defensive line wore down and needed more help.

How many days until Bubba posts a picture of the trucks leaving for spring training?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Mr. B wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:That was clearly pass interference in the Detroit-Dallas game. The flag was correctly thrown. Then it was picked up and Dallas came back to win the game.

As a Detroit fan for over 40 years, I could see the 4th quarter coming from a mile away. But it still hurts.

As to the key call, that was not the most egregious case of pass interference you will see, but it was still pass interference. How the hell do they pick up the flag after the call is made? Every Lion fan will be convinced until the day we die that if the teams were reversed on that play it would have stayed a penalty.

That said, Detroit only has itself to blame for losing the game. Stafford had a marginal second half and just doesn't seem to have the same ability to deliver under pressure that the special quarterbacks have. They gave up too many big plays on 3rd down in the second half, and on 4th and 6. I would have liked to have seen more blitzing from the defense in the second half. They did a great job of putting pressure on Romo in the first half by just rushing four, but as the game went on the defensive line wore down and needed more help.

How many days until Bubba posts a picture of the trucks leaving for spring training?

Yep terrible call but terrible and very disappointing second half by the Lions. It wasn't just Stafford, either. For a while I was actually thinking that Suh might have a big enough game for his star to shine brighter than his cloud but by the end of the game he was just another overpaid bully.

Sox pitchers & catchers report in 46 days. The truck leaves about a week before that; call it 40 days :)
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Both Stafford and Cincy's QB Andy Dalton took too much blame for their team's losses yesterday. I understand that both have the reputation of not coming up big in key games but all the more reason for their teams to have stepped up. Indy outplayed the Bengals in every phase of the game but still left the door open and Dalton's receivers weren't up for the challenge. In Stafford's case, his defense let him down and that cal didn't help. QB's get to much credit and too much blame and yesterday's games pointed out the latter. To me, right now, there are three QB's who can consistently take over a game and win for their team, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Andrew Luck might be getting close. After that there aren't any so why to people expect these guys to be THOSE guys? Mystifies me.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Both Stafford and Cincy's QB Andy Dalton took too much blame for their team's losses yesterday. I understand that both have the reputation of not coming up big in key games but all the more reason for their teams to have stepped up. Indy outplayed the Bengals in every phase of the game but still left the door open and Dalton's receivers weren't up for the challenge. In Stafford's case, his defense let him down and that cal didn't help. QB's get to much credit and too much blame and yesterday's games pointed out the latter. To me, right now, there are three QB's who can consistently take over a game and win for their team, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Andrew Luck might be getting close. After that there aren't any so why to people expect these guys to be THOSE guys? Mystifies me.

Maybe because they make $15 million/yr?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:Both Stafford and Cincy's QB Andy Dalton took too much blame for their team's losses yesterday. I understand that both have the reputation of not coming up big in key games but all the more reason for their teams to have stepped up. Indy outplayed the Bengals in every phase of the game but still left the door open and Dalton's receivers weren't up for the challenge. In Stafford's case, his defense let him down and that cal didn't help. QB's get to much credit and too much blame and yesterday's games pointed out the latter. To me, right now, there are three QB's who can consistently take over a game and win for their team, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Andrew Luck might be getting close. After that there aren't any so why to people expect these guys to be THOSE guys? Mystifies me.

Maybe because they make $15 million/yr?

Shouldn't matter. Lots of guys make lots of money and, yes, the quarterbacks are making the most right now. I could pay my dog $15 mil though and it doesn't mean she's going to pay my mortgage or cook dinner for us. The owners are choosing to pay these guys and meanwhile the three guys I mentioned, while top ten, aren't in the top five in QB salaries. That list is Cutler, Dalton, Stafford, Kaepernick and Flacco. Only the last one is still playing. If you know you're guy isn't going to take over a game and win it for you then game plan differently. You can't get mad at a fish for being a fish.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I think we live in very different worlds, Mr. Cowboy.

Sure players shouldn't be blamed because owners throw money at them. Anyone in the QB's situation would take the money and do their best. But in the world I live in, if u get paid the big bucks, expectations have nothing to do w/ reality and you get too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go badly. Logic has nothing to do w/ it. I'd say that expecting people to act differently is pissing in the wind.

The reason certain people are considered "great" is that they (and their skill sets and performances) are rare. If there are 3 great QB's right now that's already 10% of the starting QB's in the league. It's unreasonable to expect there to be more. The problem is that no team can designate its "quarterback of the future" w/out proclaiming its belief in his greatness as evidenced in part by the length and size of the contract they give him. It's exactly the same as the "ceo compensation problem" I've described elsewhere: No board of directors is going to say that it hired a second rate CEO even though it's simple math that only one CEO can be the best and out of the top 500 companies, one CEO will be the best, one will be the worst and the others will string out between 2 and 499. Yet, each board has to pay its ceo as if he is the very best. And like qb's, ceo's get too much credit, too much blame and are generally the fall guys when things go bad.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Maybe you misunderstand. The organization should blame the guy they paid for not producing. The fans should blame the guys in charge both for signing that guy and then not adjusting to what that guy really is.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Maybe you misunderstand. The organization should blame the guy they paid for not producing. The fans should blame the guys in charge both for signing that guy and then not adjusting to what that guy really is.

No "maybe" about it.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I refuse to ever be the fan that lives and dies by games anymore, that screams at the set, who's veins pop out of my head and who scares the dogs after games.

why would anyone be that guy, for any sport?

i dig watching sports now and again but there's a limit to what I invest in it.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Drafting Tebow was the most monumental mistake in the history of the NFL, until Cleveland drafted Johnny Football of course.

Clams

Post by Clams »

there's nothing quite like an awkward man-hug between the owner of the dallas cowboys and the governor of new jersey

Last edited by Clams on Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Christie's FUPA is legendary.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

cortez the killer wrote:Christie's FUPA is legendary.

:lol: I call that a GUNT
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

How come the Gov. of New Jersey pulls for the Cowboys?

TC - It's hard not to start blaming Stafford (0 for whatever against winning teams on the road) or Dalton (0-4 in playoffs). Sure those owners & GMs were stupid enough to pay them big bucks; but those duds could always give some money back in the face of such futility. You know restructure. And while the QBs always have gotten more credit/blame than they deserve; you can't win it all without a good one (unless you have the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens defense).

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Slipkid42 wrote:How come the Gov. of New Jersey pulls for the Cowboys?

TC - It's hard not to start blaming Stafford (0 for whatever against winning teams on the road) or Dalton (0-4 in playoffs). Sure those owners & GMs were stupid enough to pay them big bucks; but those duds could always give some money back in the face of such futility. You know restructure. And while the QBs always have gotten more credit/blame than they deserve; you can't win it all without a good one (unless you have the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens defense).

Actually they're not allowed to restructure under the current CBA, at least not in the way you mean with taking less money. They can allow their guarantee to be stretched out over longer periods of time for cap purposes but that's it.

I'm not arguing that Stafford or Dalton are any good, well I actually like Stafford I just think he needs the right OC, I'm just saying I watched both those games and neither of those guys were the reasons they lost.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Another thing that separates brady from the pack: dude is always restructuring his contract to give the pats more fleibility to sign better players. Of course it helps that he's the second income in his family :lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:

Another thing that separates brady from the pack: dude is always restructuring his contract to give the pats more fleibility to sign better players. Of course it helps that he's the second income in his family :lol:

He's not changing his guarantee though, he's just allowing the team to take smaller cap hits on his deal. On the last CBA players could actually give up money but that's no longer the case. He has taken less guaranteed money than he could though.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Well you could take Christie at his word that he's always been a Cowboys fan, though he's from New Jersey and his constituency is made up of Giants, Jets and Eagles fans. Or you could say he's a lying politician douchebag who's just sucking up to a big political donor. Hmmm, you make the call.
If you don't run you rust

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

He's not changing his guarantee though, he's just allowing the team to take smaller cap hits on his deal. On the last CBA players could actually give up money but that's no longer the case. He has taken less guaranteed money than he could though.

I just read that Brady's recent restructure actually allows the Pats to cut him this spring (not that they would ever cut a beloved player). It also allows the Robot to explore free agency (not that he would ever tire of the Hoodie). It is somewhat of a gamble for Brady. No, I guess it isn't. Why couldn't I be Giselle's Mr. Mom?

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Clams wrote:

Well you could take Christie at his word that he's always been a Cowboys fan, though he's from New Jersey and his constituency is made up of Giants, Jets and Eagles fans. Or you could say he's a lying politician douchebag who's just sucking up to a big political donor. Hmmm, you make the call.

Either way, he's a dick. Or a gunt or a fupa.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:

I could see politicians being the exact type of front runners that root for a team they have no connection to just because they win.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:

I could see politicians being the exact type of front runners that root for a team they have no connection to just because they win.

Actually, as a matter of politics, I can't. Seems like a sure loser to me if it's not authentic. As a matter of personality, sure I can see the type. But I can't see how there's any political percentage in it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Mike Florio is reporting that, barring some sort of disaster in a face to face meeting, Rex Ryan will be named Falcons head coach today. Someone really needs to explain to me why Ryan is getting another HC job so soon. Defensive coordinator sure but after his Jets run he warrants another shot? I don't get it.

On a related note the Bears didn't even interview Ryan because the feeling was he'd be such a popular favorite that they'd have to hire him. I don't agree with the Bears much, and I'm sure they'll pick the wrong guy, but on this I'm with them. The last thing they need is another Ditka sized ego on the sideline.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Yeah, have to disagree there. I'd take Holmgren 10 times out of 10 over McDaniels. Drafting Tebow was the most monumental mistake in the history of the NFL, until Cleveland drafted Johnny Football of course (Who it looks like they're going to release btw). Those kind of mistakes don't warrant second chances IMO.

Seriously? Those are the worst you can think of? Ryan Leaf? Tony Mandarich? JaMarcus Russell? The Vikings or Saints giving up the world to get Hershel Walker and Ricky Williams?

Taking a chance on a QB in the mid-late first round is that serious of an offense now? Shoot, Tebow even had a little bit of sucess. You don't think he would have been better than Ryan Lindley this past weekend?
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it