Cancelled Private Tampa Show

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Erdlivz

Re: Cancelled Private Tampa Show

Post by Erdlivz »

Duke Silver wrote:
lotusamerica wrote:They didn't cancel the show because some 3DD posters got their panties in a bunch. They cancelled it because the terms of their contract were violated in a way they found unacceptable. It's plain as day in the message.

3DD is fun but for people here to think their personal opinions of what shows the band should or should not play matter seems pretty silly. At an given show other than maybe the reunion, 3DD posters make up what 5-10% of the audience?

They said why they cancelled the show. Personally, I'll take Patterson Hood's word on it over some 3DD posters'.

that sounds like lawyer-speak for "got busted doing something they're not proud of." If the news hadn't broken here, chances are they'd still be playing the show. (which, again, i would have had no problem with.)

don't underestimate the influence of this place. lots of creepy lurkers reading but not posting. within a few minutes of revmatt posting the original thread, there were people talking about it on DBT's facebook page.

Couldn't agree more Duke. Nobody is trying to be all high and mighty with their 3DD cred. It's a testament to a great board that has grown significantly over the years. It's a sample (big, small -- whatever -- it's a sample of some diehards from the DBT fan base)
for the band and others to look at.

We're beating a dead horse on reasons for the cancellation. Technicalities, uh huh. Other things mixed in, you betcha. PHs note was another sincere statement that clarified some things. I can't put my feet in their shoes. I think if I was asked to do a Golf Clinic for $5000 for a group I didn't back or remained neutral, I'd listen and know I really fucking need that paycheck right about now.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Erdlivz wrote:
Clams, it's only a shit storm because we (the board) made it into one. The reporters were just reporting, not judging.

Judging. I don't know. Maybe some. I was curious to a rumor that turned out to be true. It was just a head-scratcher to me and really would've taken away from some songs and the past history of DBT. Curiosity and understanding for me. I still would travel my ass off to see them, support the shit out of them and understand (especially when PH makes a statement) playing the private show. I thought whoever booked them didn't do their research and were in for a DBT hurting come party time.

Shitstorms on this board can be a good thing. Let it flow with some guidance by the MODs if needed. I'm not that knowledgeable about touring, lighting and record industry information. RevMatt, Zip, TC and others post a lot of technical stuff that clarifies some questions before I really hammer down an opinion. I don't know the industry but understand the need to make some income. I also know their work like most and this topic was very interesting to me. Just wanted to understand it a bit cause it really felt against the grain in a different way for the band.

That's really it. 3" of rain today so I needed to find something to do.......................

I meant actual reporters who reported in the paper or the digital equivalent. No doubt that those who posted it here were judging. But they're not reporters. They're fans.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

RevMatt wrote:Should Elton John perform for an organization whose sole purpose is to prevent marriage equality?

He did play Rush Limbaugh's wedding a few years ago...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Duke Silver wrote:don't underestimate the influence of this place. lots of creepy lurkers reading but not posting. within a few minutes of revmatt posting the original thread, there were people talking about it on DBT's facebook page.

Actually, I saw the thread on FB first and posted here because I initially thought it was some sort of misunderstanding, like maybe that list was bands and artists who had only been asked to play but hadn't necessarily accepted and figured people over here would know the real story. I thought it was an inaccurate story and we would stop an internet rumor about DBT playing the RNC from spreading.

I feel pretty bad that the thread turned into what it did, bad enough that I am trying to scrape some money together to order a new road case from Matt and the crew's new company.

One of the problems with bulletin boards is that something that is a conversation in progress -- the type three or four of us might kibbitz about over beers -- becomes part of some public record. We started off with "is this true?" and ended up waxing philosophical about the whole thing. It took me two days to even come to some kind of conclusion because guys like Duke, Beantown, Smitty and the rest all pointed out things I wasn't taking into a consideration. While the conversation is going on, I am experiencing it like the sort of debate you might have with friends about a pending baseball trade or something. You don't expect that the General Manager of The Braves is not only lurking but taking some of what you say into consideration. And he might have been influenced by something I said on page 2 that I no longer believed by page 5.

In the end, I feel kind of bad about the whole thing because I am in no way effected by the decision about playing that gig but might have had some influence on that decision. Somebody else would have started the thread if I didn't but I probably would have posted the same posts along the way. I probably should stick to Steampunk.

Sorry for causing this whole mess. I screwed up.

You guys are my friends.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

RevMatt wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:don't underestimate the influence of this place. lots of creepy lurkers reading but not posting. within a few minutes of revmatt posting the original thread, there were people talking about it on DBT's facebook page.

Actually, I saw the thread on FB first and posted here because I initially thought it was some sort of misunderstanding, like maybe that list was bands and artists who had only been asked to play but hadn't necessarily accepted and figured people over here would know the real story. I thought it was an inaccurate story and we would stop an internet rumor about DBT playing the RNC from spreading.

I feel pretty bad that the thread turned into what it did, bad enough that I am trying to scrape some money together to order a new road case from Matt and the crew's new company.

One of the problems with bulletin boards is that something that is a conversation in progress -- the type three or four of us might kibbitz about over beers -- becomes part of some public record. We started off with "is this true?" and ended up waxing philosophical about the whole thing. It took me two days to even come to some kind of conclusion because guys like Duke, Beantown, Smitty and the rest all pointed out things I wasn't taking into a consideration. While the conversation is going on, I am experiencing it like the sort of debate you might have with friends about a pending baseball trade or something. You don't expect that the General Manager of The Braves is not only lurking but taking some of what you say into consideration. And he might have been influenced by something I said on page 2 that I no longer believed by page 5.

In the end, I feel kind of bad about the whole thing because I am in no way effected by the decision about playing that gig but might have had some influence on that decision. Somebody else would have started the thread if I didn't but I probably would have posted the same posts along the way. I probably should stick to Steampunk.

You guys are my friends.

now get off Jonicont's lawn... or else :lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Smitty wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Should Elton John perform for an organization whose sole purpose is to prevent marriage equality?

He did play Rush Limbaugh's wedding a few years ago...

He also played high-profile gigs with GnR at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley and the MTV Video Awards, despite Axl's lyrics about "faggots" in One in a Million. Not to mention his Grammy performance with Eminem that had people up in arms.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

RevMatt wrote:I feel pretty bad that the thread turned into what it did, bad enough that I am trying to scrape some money together to order a new road case from Matt and the crew's new company.

so this is a cult?

I would have expected some powerful hallucinogens and some sort of a robe by now
Beebs is not a ragey man

Clams

Post by Clams »

rev matt wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

You guys are my friends.

You can do what you want on his lawn, but just stay the fuck away from his 'maters.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

You guys are my friends.

You can do what you want on his lawn, but just stay the fuck away from his 'maters.[/quote]

Yeah, thanks for nothing, Bovine! :lol:

juss kiddin...

clams erred with the quoting

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:

I would have expected some powerful hallucinogens and some sort of a robe by now

Hmmmm...your fedex guy is probably having a hell of a weekend.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Beebs wrote:
RevMatt wrote:I feel pretty bad that the thread turned into what it did, bad enough that I am trying to scrape some money together to order a new road case from Matt and the crew's new company.

so this is a cult?

I could do with either, or both right about now.

MMMM... Comfey robe...
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beebs wrote:Smitty wrote:
We are on hiatus and have payrolls to meet and insurance and rent and babies always need new pairs of shoes, but we will make it work.

That's why I decided to not be so judgmental.

I've got all these things too. But if the devil backed a dump truck full of cash down my driveway I'd still tell him to get lost.

They weren't selling their soul, they were playing a gig. Maybe it's a geographical thing (around here, you can't throw a rock farther than ten yards at any given time and not hit a Republican) or a familial thing (lone lefty in a family of righties, but I don't equate Republicans with the devil. Backwards maybe, at times deplorable, but they're still Americans. This is not the Third Reich we're talking about here.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

To All You Good People:

I've been lurking for quite sometime, but wanted to chime in on this topic.

I will take Patterson's word on this one. They received a reported "good financial" offer to play a one-off gig, then after doing some soul searching decided not to. The motivation behind either decision is none of my business. DBT is still my second favorite behind (behind The Replacements), and had they played the Tampa show it wouldn't have bothered me, nor does their decision not to play.

I don't think there is anything "sinister" behind Patterson's motives. From what I gathered, he thought it would be a party for people attending the RNC that wanted to be entertained by a top-notch band, but not a rally for the GOP. Once it became obvious that wouldn't be the case, he gracefully declined.

As long as Patterson shows up on Thursday in Lexington, Ky., all is good.

BTW, JimmyJack, I would like to say "Howdy" at the Lexington Opera House if you have a moment.

Hope everyone is havin' a bitchin' summer,

Relocated Okie.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Beebs wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:maybe a light drizzle of shit,

that's totally grosser than an actual shit storm

Drizzles Of Shit would be a stupendous name for a hardcore punk band.
Now it's dark.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't equate Republicans with evil either. Johnny Ramone was a Republican. Pat DiNizio from The Smithereens is a lifelong Republican. Not every Republican in rock is an asshat like Ted Nugent. But Drive By Truckers are not Republicans. They, or at least Patterson, are progressive Democrats. Their politics, while maybe not the most important aspect of their music, is certainly part of it. Being true to who and what you are is usually the best choice regardless of whether you are a Democrat, Republican, Christian, atheist, Vulcan or Klingon.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Rev. Matt:

I saw The Smithereens in Dallas a few years ago. Did not know Pat was a conservative. Great live band, and I am sure you know.

Relocated Okie
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

OkieinTexas wrote:Rev. Matt:

I saw The Smithereens in Dallas a few years ago. Did not know Pat was a conservative. Great live band, and I am sure you know.

Relocated Okie

Pat is conservative on economic issues but liberal when it comes to social issues. In other words, a typical NJ Republican in the Tom Kean mold. It always surprised me that he was a Republican. He is Italian and in our county Italians were Democrats, especially when your family is in the garbage business as the DiNizios are/were.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Economic conservative and social liberal? Welcome to my world.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

Smitty wrote:
We are on hiatus and have payrolls to meet and insurance and rent and babies always need new pairs of shoes, but we will make it work.

I've got all these things too. But if the devil backed a dump truck full of cash down my driveway I'd still tell him to get lost.

They weren't selling their soul, they were playing a gig. Maybe it's a geographical thing (around here, you can't throw a rock farther than ten yards at any given time and not hit a Republican) or a familial thing (lone lefty in a family of righties, but I don't equate Republicans with the devil. Backwards maybe, at times deplorable, but they're still Americans. This is not the Third Reich we're talking about here.

Why are you saying people should throw rocks at all Republicans who are keeping a respectable distance????

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Smitty wrote:

I have a knack for hyperbole
Beebs is not a ragey man

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Beebs wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Absolutly king of the Mutherfukin Universe when it comes to hyperbole!
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

I've so wanted to remain silent on (what I consider to be) this non-issue here, but it looks like my stupid conscience is going to lead me awry again. Pardon me for unburdening my thoughts.

First of all, DBT is accountable to none of us as fans. I am saddened that Patterson felt he had to write that note. It is disheartening that he did so. The only thing I've ever asked of DBT is they give me a show worth the price of my ticket every time I've paid to see them. And every time, they've delivered far more than my money's worth. As far as I'm concerned, they owe me absolutely nothing.

To be upset/angry/concerned about this private gig is ridiculous. I find myself wondering why some fans were/are. If the stuffed shirts had had D's in front of their names instead of R's, would such a ruckus have been struck up? Probably...not, I'm afraid.

It's strange to me that several people have no problem whatsoever with a handful of people of opposite ideology mingling in the audience in a regular DBT show, but the thought of every person in the audience of a private party having that opposite ideology, for some reason, is another matter altogether. I can't wrap my head around the backlash this has created (and don't get me wrong, I see MUCH MUCH more of this thinking from posters on FB than here on 3DD, I'm NOT calling anyone on here out so please don't get defensive). How is the band, in any way, compromising what they personally believe in by playing to a group of people that don't feel the same way? Patterson stated that there were going to be no restrictions on what they played and how the lyrics of songs were worded, so that argument seems to have no grounds, IMHO. In fact, to me, it would seem petty and narrow-minded of the band to refuse a gig solely on the grounds that they held different personal beliefs from that of the offering party.

I swore I wasn't going to speak up on this matter, but the sheer number of fans' responses to Patterson's note along the lines of, "Good job, boy, for keeping your integrity and resisting the Dark Side," was starting to get under my skin. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the point he was trying to get across (but that's just my opinion). I want to state here that this whole meaningless, and pointless, affair has done absolutely nothing to change my feelings toward DBT. It is immaterial to me where they play and who they play to. It has, however, left a sour taste in my mouth in terms of how I now feel toward my fellow fans. I didn't expect something like this would create such an intense backlash from a fanbase that seemed to pride itself on tolerance and diversity. I am sorry for, and disappointed in those responses. Somebody's double standards were called into question here, but it wasn't the band that came up short.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

To be upset/angry/concerned about this private gig is ridiculous. I find myself wondering why some fans were/are. If the stuffed shirts had had D's in front of their names instead of R's, would such a ruckus have been struck up? Probably...not, I'm afraid.

Well, there is a pretty major distinction between what Republicans & Democrats stand for. As far as I know, for the most part Democrats aren't opposed to gay rights, choices in regards to womens' health, etc etc etc - and the DBT guys have proclaimed to support Democrats, so I doubt anyone would protest DBT playing for something they believe in.
Last edited by Smitty on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Beebs wrote:

so this is a cult?

Yes and you haven't sold anywhere near your monthly quota of flowers. Better get your ass to the airport now before we make you cut the grass at the compound with a pair of scissors.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

LBRod wrote:Economic conservative and social liberal? Welcome to my world.

Exactly-- or any sane thinking person's world.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Smarty Jones wrote:I've so wanted to remain silent on (what I consider to be) this non-issue here, but it looks like my stupid conscience is going to lead me awry again. Pardon me for unburdening my thoughts.

First of all, DBT is accountable to none of us as fans. I am saddened that Patterson felt he had to write that note. It is disheartening that he did so. The only thing I've ever asked of DBT is they give me a show worth the price of my ticket every time I've paid to see them. And every time, they've delivered far more than my money's worth. As far as I'm concerned, they owe me absolutely nothing.

It's strange to me that several people have no problem whatsoever with a handful of people of opposite ideology mingling in the audience in a regular DBT show, but the thought of every person in the audience of a private party having that opposite ideology, for some reason, is another matter altogether. I can't wrap my head around the backlash this has created (and don't get me wrong, I see MUCH MUCH more of this thinking from posters on FB than here on 3DD, I'm NOT calling anyone on here out so please don't get defensive). How is the band, in any way, compromising what they personally believe in by playing to a group of people that don't feel the same way? Patterson stated that there were going to be no restrictions on what they played and how the lyrics of songs were worded, so that argument seems to have no grounds, IMHO. In fact, to me, it would seem petty and narrow-minded of the band to refuse a gig solely on the grounds that they held different personal beliefs from that of the offering party.

I swore I wasn't going to speak up on this matter, but the sheer number of fans' responses to Patterson's note along the lines of, "Good job, boy, for keeping your integrity and resisting the Dark Side," was starting to get under my skin. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the point he was trying to get across (but that's just my opinion). I want to state here that this whole meaningless, and pointless, affair has done absolutely nothing to change my feelings toward DBT. It is immaterial to me where they play and who they play to. It has, however, left a sour taste in my mouth in terms of how I now feel toward my fellow fans. I didn't expect something like this would create such an intense backlash from a fanbase that seemed to pride itself on tolerance and diversity. I am sorry for, and disappointed in those responses. Somebody's double standards were called into question here, but it wasn't the band that came up short.

Smarty, my memory of the thread is that the consensus of those who participated was that DBT should take the gig. Some in the majority had no reservations. Others felt that although they should take the gig it wasn't a very good situation for the band to be in. A minority here felt they should not take it under any circumstances. After Patterson announced that the band would be cancelling the gig many were relieved that he did, not because the GOP is the "darkside" but because Patterson's personal politics and beliefs are pretty much opposed the the Republican Party's platform.

If Patterson was a Republican and could honestly support Mitt Romney I would have no problem whatsoever with taking that show. If he was a Republican and took a show for Obama mostly for financial considerations I would feel bad for him if he played it.

A bunch of us hashed it out over five pages because we are obsessive Drive By Trekies. We are relatively competent in most areas of our lives -- work, family, etc... -- but get us talking or debating something rock or DBT related and we are no different than people who will put on a costume and stand in a line at a shopping mall for five hours just to get an autograph from Leonard Nimoy. No, not everyone here is in that group. But those of us who are Drive By Trekies know who we are. Just give us our space and don't take us too seriously. In the end we're harmless.
Last edited by RevMatt on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Penny Lane wrote:
LBRod wrote:Economic conservative and social liberal? Welcome to my world.

Exactly-- or any sane thinking person's world.

:o
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smarty, I'm really tired of this topic so i'm gonna do something i normally wouldn't. I apologize, sort of, in advance.

I think you misunderstood a couple of the major issues people raised about the originally intended performance. I think you misunderstood PH's reasons for posting, too.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beebs wrote:
Smitty wrote:

You are a hyperbole.

that actually kinda makes sense on some deep philosophical level