Last Movie Watched

This forum is for talking about non-music-related stuff that the DBT fanbase might be interested in. This is not the place for inside jokes and BS. Take that crap to some other board.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beebs

Re: Last Movie Watched

Post by Beebs »

the story is worth enduring the crappy editing
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This is the last movie I rented several months ago when my DVD player crapped out on me so I never got to see it so it was nice to sorta pick up where I left off. I really enjoyed this one. I guess it could be described as a family drama but it does have a few laughs, definitely not a comedy though.

This is one that I'm sure everyone else has probably seen but I just got around to it. The accolades Leonardo DiCaprio got for it were definitely deserved, he just shines in this.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Image

This is the last movie I rented several months ago when my DVD player crapped out on me so I never got to see it so it was nice to sorta pick up where I left off. I really enjoyed this one. I guess it could be described as a family drama but it does have a few laughs, definitely not a comedy though.

This is one that I'm sure everyone else has probably seen but I just got around to it. The accolades Leonardo DiCaprio got for it were definitely were deserved, he just shines in this.

2 tear jerkers!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

When I rented this movie I didn't even realize Ray McKinnon (The Accountant, Chrystal, Randy and the Mob, etc.) was in it so that was a pleasant surprise. I also didn't find out until the end that Larry Campbell (the Band, Bob Dylan, etc.) did the score (in which Dylan figures prominently) but neither of those things were enough to save this movie. It's one of those flicks where there's a lot of promise but the filmmakers just do a piss poor job of pulling it off. There's a few scenes where things are left unexplained, perhaps that has to do with the lead actress, Chloë Grace Moretz (Kickass, Hugo, Dark Shadows) being all of 15 (not sure how old she was when this movie was filmed). There's also some serious suspension of disbelief that happens more than a time or two but I can't really get into that without giving away the plot. Chloë, who plays Luli, shows a lot of potential but all too often her portrayal of the character comes off as one-dimensional. In the right hands this could have been a much better motion picture.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

really sad..

In my blood, there's gasoline..

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

delightful
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

On the surface this probably isn't the type of movie that would have appealed to me but after reading a fairly favorable review of it recently I decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did as it turned out to be a real treat. Yes, portions of it are contrived and it's pretty predictable but they never got in the way of my overall enjoyment of the film. I wasn't raised by hippies but I certainly grew up around that environment thanks to my older brothers and sister so that lifestyle is something I could strongly relate to in the film. Jane Fonda's portrayal of an aging hippie mother (and grandmother) may rely a bit too much on cliches to tell her story but it still works. I was also really surprised by the performance of Elizabeth Olsen (one of the younger sisters of the Olsen twins) who's very convincing here as the daughter of a conservative mother (played by Katherine Keener) who, along with her brother (Nat Wolff), places great stock in the wisdom of their grandmother. In the end I found it to be a very heartwarming film but not in a cheesy way, the emotions it stirred up were definitely genuine.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Intouchables - I gather that a segment of the critical world finds this movie to be offensively racist. I didn't get that at all. I thought it transcended the cliches and potential pitfalls thru the magic of the 2 superb lead actors. I highly recommend it, w/out reservation.

Note to OBL: Prepare to fall in love.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

brstigerfan

Post by brstigerfan »

Loved it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Saw this at one of the local IMAX theatres last night (for those in the Triangle area of NC it plays again tonight at 7:30 at Regal Crossroads Stadium 20 in Cary). Due to circumstances beyond my control I missed the first 20 minutes or so ("Good Times, Bad Times", "Ramble On", "Black Dog" and the majority of "In My Time of Dying") but I did see the remainder of the film. Since I've stayed away from most of the YouTube clips and haven't heard any bootlegs from the 02, it was all pretty fresh to me. The film will be out in another month on DVD, CD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, etc. but I'm glad I opted for the IMAX experience as it was very much worth it not just visually but also from an audio standpoint. The way it's filmed puts you right in the middle of the action. The filmmaker (Dick Carruthers) is a fan of the quick cut, which doesn't allow the camera to stay focused on any one performer (or the audience) for very long. Oftentimes this proves to be annoying but it wasn't really the case here, at least for me. I enjoyed every last second of it but some of the highlights included "Trampled Underfoot", "No Quarter", "Dazed and Confused" (especially the bow section where the lasers form a pyramid around Page), "Stairway To Heaven" (yes, I've heard it a trillion times too but when you know this is probably the last time they'll ever perform it live it carries a tremendous amount of emotional impact, at least it did for me), "Whole Lotta Love" and the never performed live "For Your Life". I may be a bit off here but some of the songs seem to be slightly rearranged but not radically. There was also an ample amount of improvisation (sometimes Zeppelin's downfall, sometimes their biggest strength as a live act) but they never veered too far from the norm. To my ears, it kept the songs fresh. There were no flubs (at least not that I picked up on) and everyone seemed to be playing at the top of their game. While Jason is no John Bonham he showed no signs of slacking (not that I expected him to) and was right on top of it the entire time. Apparently he is an avid student of every Zep bootleg ever released and his hard work and attention to detail shows here. While watching the film you can't help but have an underlying feeling of wishing they'd take this on the road. That sort of thing carries a lot of weight with it and has been bandied about in the press countless times since this reunion concert was held in 2007. It's pretty clear at this point that most likely will never happen. If not, that adds even more emotion to the film because what you're watching may well be the last ever performance by Led Zeppelin. Even it turns out not to be, it finally captures them in top form in full performance for the first time since John Bonham died in 1980. While myself and millions of others didn't get the privilege of experiencing the concert firsthand, the IMAX experience is at once breathtaking and at times bone chilling ("No Quarter"), which, short of a full fledged tour, is good enough for me.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Finally rented this. Didn't enjoy it. Just too much going on with special effects. Took away from the movie for me.

Wow. This was awful. Really bad.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

brstigerfan wrote:Image
Loved it.

Me too. Not sure what to make of it, though.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Erdlivz wrote:

Huh. I've only heard really good things about this. Was kind of looking forward to it. Other than the superhero movies I haven't seen a good sci fi flick in ages.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Loved it!!!
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

I think the older I get, the softer I get in regards to movies. Liked this.

Everyone should watch this.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:

Huh. I've only heard really good things about this. Was kind of looking forward to it. Other than the superhero movies I haven't seen a good sci fi flick in ages.

I heard a lot of good things about it too. It could be my expectations because I thought the movie was going to be a bit different.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Very good movie ... :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Argo - 2 thumbs up. Ben Affleck can really direct and the cast was uniformly excellent. Definitely recommended. And a fine period soundtrack as well. I must say, though, that having lived through those events during my early adulthood, seeing them now as sort of "history" is more than a little weird.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Negative: Movie about terrible people doing terrible things and suffering the terrible consequences. You'll want to take a shower afterwards.

Positive: Marisa Tomei is topless through just about the whole thing.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Beebs wrote:
Positive: Marisa Tomei is topless through just about the whole thing.

I got a kick out of her used-up stripper role in "The Wrestler"; were we really supposed to believe she was anything other than smoking fucking hot?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Absolutely top notch.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

terrifying

+

not all bad, but dare i say...corny?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Alright big tom, uncle frank and duke: what movies did u love, find top notch and think was terrifying? I don't know why i don't get the images sometimes, but i don't. Am i really the only one?

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

beantownbubba wrote:Alright big tom, uncle frank and duke: what movies did u love, find top notch and think was terrifying? I don't know why i don't get the images sometimes, but i don't. Am i really the only one?

Once in awhile I don't get images, but usually I can see them. Anyway, mine was Moonrise Kingdom. Fantastic.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

the exorcist.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Duke Silver wrote:the exorcist.

Was that yr first time?

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:the exorcist.

Was that yr first time?

It was my second, but my first in about 15 years. Scared the crap out of me both times. On the other hand, wife watched it with me for the first time and thought it was creepy but kinda silly.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

beantownbubba wrote:Alright big tom, uncle frank and duke: what movies did u love, find top notch and think was terrifying? I don't know why i don't get the images sometimes, but i don't. Am i really the only one?

Looper
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County