Misc Shit

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

cortez the killer

Re: Misc Shit

Post by cortez the killer »

beantownbubba wrote:Yacht rock goes literal:

The Doobie Brothers are playing the Newport Yacht Club.

I am not making this up.

The wise man has the power.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

interesting article from the early days of alt/insurgent country by Chet Flippo

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/n ... page=0%2C0
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:interesting article from the early days of alt/insurgent country by Chet Flippo

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/n ... page=0%2C0

Chet Flippo was a huge loss and I'm not sure how many folks actually knew who he was. Dude forgot more about music than most will ever know.

Thanks for sharing this Smitty.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This could just as easily fit in the WTF thread but since it's music related, I figured I'd post it here. Looking at these photos reminds me of a conversation I was privy to at a record show a year or so ago. This guy had accumulated so many albums that it was next to impossible to navigate a path through his house. Fed up with it, his wife gave him an ultimatum, either the albums had to go or she was going to leave him. He chose his albums.

‘HOARDER HOUSE’: WHAT A SMALL HOME WITH OVER 250,000 RECORDS IN IT LOOKS LIKE

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Steve Albini's letter to Nirvana
read the rest here

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Mr. French, Janis Joplin is a fucking legend.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Interesting, to me atleast. Thanks marklynn.

Research shows wide gap in incomes and happiness of fans of the band The Replacements compared to fans of the band R.E.M.

The report appears in The Journal of Longitudinal Studies.

Co-authors Hanphram T. Zennels and Moira Beverley have found that fans of R.E.M. earn $4,400 more, annually, than fans of The Replacements. (All dollar amounts are gross pre-tax income.)

However, Replacements fans exhibit far greater levels of happiness, shaped by what the authors called “their ability to see everything that is bad, and good, be aware of all that, and realize that life is what obtains, not what should obtain. This realism of the Replacements fan appears to free him or her from pathological levels of depression, and also fosters a joyful, wry humor.”

R.E.M. fans, on the other hand, suffer from what Zennels and Beverley call “a near-constant need for idealistic reinforcement. The only way the world makes sense to them is to pretend it’s something that it isn’t. This cultivates a selfishness and narcissism that translate into higher earnings through the mechanisms of flattering superiors and doing superficially valuable work without regard to fundamental worth.”

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

This seems like an appropriate thread to post this. A few months ago I heard a Vic Chesnutt song on the local indie station, loved it, Googled the lyrics to find the name as soon as I got to work, then promptly forgot all about it.

Only clues I can offer at this point are

a) it was on the short side, maybe <2 minutes
b) the word medicine may have been part of the lyrics
c) it had kind of a wistful/melancholy feel, not unlike Ryan Adams' "Dear Chicago"

Anybody?

Edit: found it again, it was In Amongst the Millions.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

The most recent issue of Rolling Stone (with a naked Doogie Howser on the cover) has a big profile of the Black Keys. Pretty decent read, although, just like the last time they were profiled in RS, both Carney and Auerbach come across a little, for lack of a better word...bro-ish. Kinda douchey.

Anyway, one part that surprised me was Auerbach saying that until this most recent album he's never used music in a cathartic way, or as a means of dealing with emotions.

Isn't that kinda shocking for someone who's made a shit-ton of money co-opting the blues...?

(i say this as a big BK fan)

Kudzu Guillotine

Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

WTF? That's horrible
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Beebs is not a ragey man

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Nothing groundbreaking here but a slightly different twist on the usual analysis, and I'm one of those people who can never get enough of the Beatles. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... =longreads

More than a few similarities to how a lot of songwriting duos seem to work (from the outside looking in at least), including I would imagine the Dimmer Twins.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Never a bad move Charlie Brown.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beebs wrote:

Mick Jagger self-aware? Who knew?

Charlie Watts doing more w/ less, as ever.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Markalanbishop wrote:Nothing groundbreaking here but a slightly different twist on the usual analysis, and I'm one of those people who can never get enough of the Beatles. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... =longreads

More than a few similarities to how a lot of songwriting duos seem to work (from the outside looking in at least), including I would imagine the Dimmer Twins.

Never mind the article, check out the comments. W/ all due apologies to the band's retirement fund, I hope those folks never discover DBT.

FWIW, my understanding (not even a true opinion much less a true fact) is that Hood & Cooley write their own lyrics and basic melodies separately and the band collectively works out the arrangements and perhaps contribute to the melodies.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:Nothing groundbreaking here but a slightly different twist on the usual analysis, and I'm one of those people who can never get enough of the Beatles. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/arc ... =longreads

Never mind the article, check out the comments. W/ all due apologies to the band's retirement fund, I hope those folks never discover DBT.

FWIW, my understanding (not even a true opinion much less a true fact) is that Hood & Cooley write their own lyrics and basic melodies separately and the band collectively works out the arrangements and perhaps contribute to the melodies.

The pedantic tendencies of both the author of the piece and those commenting on it make us here at 3DD look like pikers and really, that's saying something.

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Update

The letter from the artist is pretty awesome indeed.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Watch this

Then this

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Not sure whether to post this here or in the WTF or NC threads
See Miley Cyrus and Flaming Lips' Insanely Trippy 'SuperFreak' Video
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

I managed to score an interview with Eddie Kramer, who has engineered and produced some of the most seminal albums in rock history. It was pretty cool. Check it out:

Analog rules, and so does American Fiction: An interview with the legendary Eddie Kramer

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Jack Flash wrote:I managed to score an interview with Eddie Kramer, who has engineered and produced some of the most seminal albums in rock history. It was pretty cool. Check it out:

Analog rules, and so does American Fiction: An interview with the legendary Eddie Kramer

Hell yeah J! Nice job.

Kramer has always seemed like a really laid back, approachable guy. Guess this proves it.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Beebs wrote:
Jack Flash wrote:I managed to score an interview with Eddie Kramer, who has engineered and produced some of the most seminal albums in rock history. It was pretty cool. Check it out:

Hell yeah J! Nice job.

Kramer has always seemed like a really laid back, approachable guy. Guess this proves it.

Oh, he's without a doubt an incredibly charming, chill guy. I only wish I had had more time to talk to him about the stuff he did in the 60s and 70s.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Depressing conversation I overheard take place between two of my less musically adventurous friends:

This (shitty, shitty) song starts playing in the bar:

Friend 1: "I never even heard this song or heard of this band until all of a sudden it was on [local top 40 station] 20 times a day."

Friend 2: "Yeah, that's weird."

(beat)

Friend 2: "I like it, I guess."

Friend 1: "Yeah, me too."

(music industry dies)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

So I've been immersing myself in the music of American Music Club and the Red House Painters and holy shit. I'd say AMC nailed the typical "alt country" sound earlier than any of the so called seminal bands and have more in common with the 90's/00's alt country sound than any of the commonly cited fore bearers (rank and file, true believers, scorchers etc) but hardly ever get mentioned in alt country discussions. If you're unfamiliar with them, give everclear or the united kingdom/California combined set a listen.