AOTW 2.8.15 - 6 String Drag

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

AOTW 2.8.15 - 6 String Drag

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

In just a few days, 6 String Drag's first new album in 18 years (Roots Rock n' Roll) will be dropping. This week they'll also be sharing a stage with DBT's during their annual homecoming run at the 40 Watt. If you haven't already acquainted yourself with 6 String Drag, there's no time like the present. There's also the solo careers of Kenny Roby and Rob Keller (Welfare Liners) but first things first. By the time I first started coming up to Raleigh for shows in the late 90's 6 String Drag was already done. By this time, Kenny Roby was being backed by various folks going by monikers such as the New Electric Combo and doing frequent solo shows, including extended residencies at Sadlack's Heroes (R.I.P.) in Raleigh. Prior to their reunion show at the Pour House in Raleigh in early 2014, the only other time I ever saw 6 String Drag was at the Hurricane Katrina benefit at the Lincoln Theatre (also in Raleigh) in 2005.

“So thrilled to get to see 6 String Drag again. They’re as great as ever. Like reconnecting with a long lost friend.” - Patterson Hood (Drive-By Truckers)

Six String Drag comes together again, sort of (News & Observer)

While it’s unclear whether this represents an actual “reunion,” the great Raleigh alternative
country band Six String Drag is getting back together to play and record.

Photo by Randy Ada

Amid a wave of alt-country nostalgia, bygone favorites 6 String Drag reunite to make new music (IndyWeek)

6 String Drag at The Brewery in 1998
Photo by Randy Ada

Review of the new album from Country Standard Time.

Local 506, Chapel Hill 1997

Pour House, Raleigh 2014

AthFest 2014

LINKS
6 String Drag (Official Website)
6 String Drag/Kenny Roby - Bandcamp
6 String Drag - Facebook
6 String - Twitter

cortez the killer

Re: AOTW 2.8.15 - 6 String Drag

Post by cortez the killer »

Listening to "Drive Around Town" on Spotify right now. Strong, strong Gourds/Hard Pans vibe going on there. Thanks for the heads up on a band I've never heard of, KG. Perfect timing, too (particularly in these parts).
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

cortez the killer wrote:Listening to "Drive Around Town" on Spotify right now. Strong, strong Gourds/Hard Pans vibe going on there. Thanks for the heads up on a band I've never heard of, KG. Perfect timing, too (particularly in these parts).

Thanks, Cortez. I think once you dig deeper into the catalog you'll also find some other strong influences such as Doug Sahm (who also obviously influenced the Gourds and the Hard Pans). This was recorded at the Pour House in Raleigh during S.P.I.T.T.L.E.FEST 2013.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Very cool. We got to see a lot of the big 'uns when we lived in the Triangle back in the '90s and 6-String Drag were my favorites of the lot. I'm really looking forward to this.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Got to see theses guys a couple of weeks ago at a Garage show. They were really good. Had a lot of different vibes going on. A little bluesy, a little Tex-Mex, a little soul. At one point we all agreed they even sounded a little like Elvis Costello. They had a horn section & I'm hoping they join in for Shit Shots @ Homecoming. They had the new CD, and I also picked up the Jag Sessions. Both of them are excellent. Nice selection, KG.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

schlanky

Post by schlanky »

I pre-ordered the new album and got it Friday. I'm on my third listen. I didn't care for it on first listen. Second listen grew on me a little. I'm digging the third listen.

I saw 6 String Drag open for DBT in Maryville, TN, over the summer and they rocked. DBT hung out off the side of the stage and watched most of 6 String's show. They were four-piece that show with no horns. Jay Gonzalez sat in for a song toward the end that just smoked (might have been Choppin' Block because that sounded familiar when I heard the album).

This band is fantastic live. I'm hoping they'll put out a live album in the next year or so. For this week's set, I'm hoping we'll get a few old songs in there----Elaine, Cold Steel Brace and (wishful thinking) Keep on Pushin'.
Let the outside air in

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Good to see a new AOTW. It's rare for a band that KG champions to be outside of my wheel house, so I'll be digging in a little later today.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:Good to see a new AOTW. It's rare for a band that KG champions to be outside of my wheel house, so I'll be digging in a little later today.

they're worth your time, really looking forward to seeing them Saturday. Great job Kudzu!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:Good to see a new AOTW. It's rare for a band that KG champions to be outside of my wheel house, so I'll be digging in a little later today.

they're worth your time, really looking forward to seeing them Saturday. Great job Kudzu!

Listening to their rarities album over on Spotify and really liking it.

I hear some of that Gourds comparison Cortez made earlier, especially in the vocal delivery, and I like the use of horns too.

calvin.powers

Post by calvin.powers »

Very cool! I'm from Chapel Hill and we're all psyched about the reunion and the new CD.

I''ve just posted the latest episode of my podcast which features a 30 minute interview with Kenny Roby about getting the band back together again. He also talks about the Ricky Valens and Doug Sahm influences on the new album. Plus we play three tracks from the album.

Calvin

3milelake

Post by 3milelake »

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Kudzu Guillotine

Dan Schram, our local videographer extraordinaire just posted his piece on 6 String Drag's album release show at King's in Raleigh last weekend.

Video: 6 String Drag unveils its new album in Raleigh

The night's setlist