RIP Dave Lamb of Brown Bird, April 5, 2014

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

RIP Dave Lamb of Brown Bird, April 5, 2014

Post by Penny Lane »

The folk community and music world at large has lost a great songwriter and performer in Dave Lamb, one half of Brown Bird, and one huge chunk of the Providence and New England music scene. I'd only seen Brown Bird twice, opening up for Devil Makes Three at the Portland Theater and on the main stage at the Newport Folk Fest, but having followed their career over the years through youtube, iphone videos and word of mouth, they seemed to have gathered a huge following of musicians and fans alike. Dave lost a year long battle with leukemia at the young age of 35 and leaves his life partner, music partner and best friend, MorganEve. I have heard that she'll continue the tour, playing with Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons, opening up for Devil Makes Three for the remainder of the dates. I know from FB that there are a lot of fans of BB in this music community so I wanted to share on here.

http://portland.thephoenix.com/music/157960-remembering-dave-lamb-of-brown-bird/

On Tuesday night at the Columbus Theater, Dave's good friend and collaborator/tour partner, Joe Fletcher, led a string of artists paying tribute to Dave, accompanied by MorganEve.

Joe Fletcher, Low Anthem, and MorganEve

doing BB's Mabel Grey:

http://vimeo.com/91561509

and covering Tom Waits' Come on up to the House

http://vimeo.com/91607042

A beautiful tribute to David Lamb by Joe Fletcher

I was driving down Wickendon Street in Providence when I first heard Dave Lamb's voice. It was August 2007. He was being interviewed on a Boston radio station to promote a show brown bird was playing that weekend at PA's Lounge in Somerville, MA. At the end of the interview, the band played a live-in-the-studio version of a song they'd yet to record. It was called "Wrong Black Mare" and it hit me like a freight train. I had an overwhelming feeling from that one song that this was a man that I had to get to know. This song achieved everything that I had been after for a few years now. It was haunting and completely timeless. It told a brand new story that would have fit neatly anywhere in The Anthology of American Folk Music.

Needless to say, I made my way to PA's Lounge a few days later and saw Brown Bird for the first time. I saw Dave leading a small, strange trio replete with banjo and cello and I knew I'd struck gold. I introduced myself after the show and told him I would be in touch. Three months later our bands shared a bill for the first time in the very same club where we met.

Our friendship grew over the next year and, by the summer of 2008, we were planning our first week-long northeast tour. It was going to be just me and Dave, each playing solo... until...

He called me about a week before the first show to tell me that he'd met a fiddler a few days before. That fiddler was a lady. And would there be room in my truck to bring this lady fiddler along?

He told me her name was MorganEve. I said "That's odd. I've played several shows with a lady fiddler from the east coast named MorganEve. Do you think it could be the same girl?"

It wasn't an hour into the first drive that I realized they were already falling in love. They were trying to be professional. They were trying to hide it. But their love was quick and it was great.

As odd as it was to be this third wheel, I am forever grateful that I had this bird's eye view of these two, so truly meant to be, getting to know each other and, day by day, completing one another.

Over the past six years, Dave and MorganEve have become two of my closest friends and greatest supporters. We've all travelled the country widely, separately and together, slowly figuring out exactly who it is we are. We've celebrated each other's successes as though they were our own and we've helped open doors for one another wherever possible.

Shortly after our last tour together early last year, Dave got sick. As sad and frightened as I was, it was always Dave who put me at ease. He never seemed to ask why. He just marched directly towards the next challenge. When he had the strength he was writing and singing and playing and planning to record the next Brown Bird album. I have never known an artist that showed Dave's work ethic under any circumstance.

Most recently, we'd been emailing our latest recordings back and forth to one another. Dave's new songs are deep and rich and tackle his last year with an insight and poetry and perspective that I believe only a true artistic genius could achieve.

I do believe we've been cheated. Cheated out of watching what this man was capable of creating over the next fifty years or so. I've been cheated out of growing old with that rare friend who with one glance can let you know that he feels your pain or your triumph as thoroughly as you do.

But as so many of us are, I am trying to focus on how incredibly lucky I am to have crossed Dave Lamb's path when I did. To have gotten to know him as well as I did. To have seen so much of the country with him. And to meet all the incredible people he attracted over the course of his life so well lived.

Just this week I met so much of his extended family from the various lives he lived over the past 36 years. I'd like to thank both the Lamb and Swain families for allowing me to stand beside them and cry and comfort each other through what has been a most unthinkable week.

Long before Dave got sick, he became not only a friend but a role model. An example of how to live with with integrity, grace, hard work, and good humor through an often puzzling existence.

He touched me so deeply that I know in my heart that our friendship will last forever. He will continue to make me laugh, give me advice, and push me through the difficult days.

Thank you, David Lamb, for taking the time to show me what a true friend could be. You have long been and will forever remain in the very best part of my heart. I love you dearly, brother
In my blood, there's gasoline..

bold99

Re: RIP Dave Lamb of Brown Bird, April 5, 2014

Post by bold99 »

Very cool tribute. I got to talk to Dave a few times in my life. Every time he was so gracious. So kind. Totally interested in my questions and what I had to say. This has been completely heartbreaking. I really feel for Morgan Eve and his family. There was just something so special about him. You can see it in the video, in pictures and from what his friends have to say about him. RIP.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Thanks for posting Penny, that was a beautiful tribute by Joe Fletcher. I'm not familiar with his music that makes me want to check him out. As for Dave Lamb and Brown Bird, I only saw them once and it was by accident but it made me a fan and I enjoy everything they've released. I had a business trip in Austin a couple of years ago and was sett to wrap up on a Friday afternoon so, still living in cold Chicago at the time, I decided to stay over on Friday night, enjoy the weather and look for some music. yonder Mountain String Band was playing Stubb's and although I wasn't much of a fan I thought it would be fun. It was, but it was the opener that got my attention and that was Brown Bird of course. It was folk music, it was bluegrass music and it was something else that I never have put my finger on. I've heard it described as gypsy music which suffices I suppose. Anyway, they were great and I had a great time watching them as the sun went down on a warm spring evening in Austin. I'm sorry I never saw them again, I had planned on it but time runs out sometimes. Very sad to lose such a talented and interesting musician and so, so young. RIP.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Awesome story, Dean---yeah, it's much more than folk music--i hate pigeonholing--it was soulful, too. (before this whole new crop of 'soul' bands)..

incidentally--reminds me of the the Isbell podcast "white people call it soul, black people call it R&B"--never thought of it like that but how true..
In my blood, there's gasoline..