Power Pop

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Power Pop

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Since the topic of Power Pop recently came up in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame thread, I thought some folks might be interested in checking out this primer from the Onion's A.V. Club:

A beginners’ guide to the heyday of power-pop, 1972-1986

By Noel Murray October 11, 2012

Primer is The A.V. Club’s ongoing series of beginners’ guides to pop culture’s most notable subjects: filmmakers, music styles, literary genres, and whatever else interests us—and hopefully you. This installment: the high-energy rock music known as power-pop.

beantownbubba

Re: Power Pop

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow, that guy knows whereof he speaks. Impressive.

The power pop spotify playlist linked at the end of the article is highly, HIGHLY recommended.

edited to add playlist rec
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Thanks for sharing that Kudzu. Good stuff.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the words "power pop"

If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Matthew Sweet is generally credited w/ resurrecting power pop w/ his Girlfriend album in 1991, which is outside the period covered by the article.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:Matthew Sweet is generally credited w/ resurrecting power pop w/ his Girlfriend album in 1991, which is outside the period covered by the article.

Material Issue is another early nineties power pop revival band. Love their debut album, International Pop Overthrow.

I've always considered Rockpile/Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds to be power pop, albeit a more rootsy variety.

I was actually present on an historic night in power pop history: I was at the Court Tavern the night The Smithereens first played with a drop tuning.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kudzu Guillotine

RevMatt wrote:I was actually present on an historic night in power pop history: I was at the Court Tavern the night The Smithereens first played with a drop tuning.

Not sure it if was historic or not but I'm pretty sure I saw Nick Lowe drop his pick the other night.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote:
I've always considered Rockpile/Nick Lowe/Dave Edmunds to be power pop, albeit a more rootsy variety.

All of the above are mentioned in the article.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the words "power pop"

This is mine

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the words "power pop"

This is mine

I'm not sure how you guys mean these posts but if you're saying that you're not familiar w/ what came before these albums, I really urge you to read this article, check out the linked spotify playlist and otherwise explore the "first generation" of power pop artists. And, as always in these convos, I highly recommend Rhino's Poptopia set, w/ single discs devoted to power pop in each of the 70's, 80's and 90's.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm just expressing what song I think of when I hear the term "power pop".

Nothing more. I realize that artists like Matthew Sweet and Guided By Voices are a second generation influenced by the guys in that article, like Big Star.

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

beantownbubba wrote:Wow, that guy knows whereof he speaks. Impressive.

The power pop spotify playlist linked at the end of the article is highly, HIGHLY recommended.

With the exception of The Outfield, I'd have to agree, there is some fantastic stuff on that playlist. Most of it is stuff that I know, even though I haven't
heard some of these songs in 20 years. I'd never heard the Billy Squier song and it's quite good. As always with lists like this there are things that individuals think should have been included and I've got many too. There was 1 GLARING miss on that list in my opinion. Back Of My Hand ( I've Got Your Number ) by
The Jags must be included on any top Power Pop songs list.

Any thoughts on that Bubba? I was hoping this thread would have gained more traction, I'd be glad to add some of my favorite PP songs if anyone was interested.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Love the Outfield.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

emandrisdad wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Wow, that guy knows whereof he speaks. Impressive.

With the exception of The Outfield, I'd have to agree, there is some fantastic stuff on that playlist. Most of it is stuff that I know, even though I haven't
heard some of these songs in 20 years. I'd never heard the Billy Squier song and it's quite good. As always with lists like this there are things that individuals think should have been included and I've got many too. There was 1 GLARING miss on that list in my opinion. Back Of My Hand ( I've Got Your Number ) by
The Jags must be included on any top Power Pop songs list.

Any thoughts on that Bubba? I was hoping this thread would have gained more traction, I'd be glad to add some of my favorite PP songs if anyone was interested.

Power pop threads never seem to gain traction here, and I never understand why (I guess I'm really saying that i don't understand why the genre isn't more popular especially here but also "out there" in the great big wide world).

I said the playlist is highly recommended, not perfect :D For example, my list would not be complete w/out at least "Girl of My Dreams" by Bram Tchaikovsky, "Shake Some Action" by the Flamin' Groovies (the author calls it a top 10 power pop track but doesn't include it), a whole different slate of Shoes and Marshall Crenshaw songs and most of all at least something by Badfinger (arbitrary dates notwithstanding). The article mentions Titan's It's All Pop anthology but I don't think there are any songs from it on the list, which is another big omission. I'd also choose "Listen to Her Heart" over "I Need to Know" and Tommy Keene's "Places That Are Gone" instead of any of the Keene cuts on the list (though "Places" is imbedded in the article). I'm also surprised to see Brinsley Schwarz and Graham Parker on the list (great songs but not my idea of power pop). Etc, etc. But yes, my alternative list would have the Jags on it.

Yes please, post your favorites - i'm sure I'll learn something new.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:
emandrisdad wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Any thoughts on that Bubba? I was hoping this thread would have gained more traction, I'd be glad to add some of my favorite PP songs if anyone was interested.

Power pop threads never seem to gain traction here, and I never understand why (I guess I'm really saying that i don't understand why the genre isn't more popular especially here but also "out there" in the great big wide world).

I think a lot of folks just don't know what it is and/or get it confused with Pop music in general. I usually start off by saying something like "Pop" isn't necessarily a dirty word.

scotto

Post by scotto »

Nice stuff.
Glad to see The Shoes mentioned. By the by, Black Vinyl Shoes is being reissued on vinyl and it's a must.
I'd also add "Walk Away Renee" is a classic, even with the cloying flute solo.
Also, Sparks' A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing and Kimono My House.
Unfortunately omitted (unless I missed it) is the most-excellent The Real Kids, powerful pop supreme straight outta Boston.
I need to go play some records now.

Kudzu Guillotine

Real nice interview with Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick here though he doesn't add any real insight as to why he doesn't tour with Cheap Trick anymore (yet he's still considered an official member). It also includes shout outs to Wilco, the Gourds and he speaks briefly about a side project he has going on with John Stirratt of Wilco as well as the potential for a second Tinted Windows record.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Instant power-pop!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Kudzu Guillotine

Starting sometime in the early 80's, I first heard of the dB's thanks to a compilation that included lots of local and regional acts called Mondo Montage which was followed up by More Mondo and Welcome To Comboland in the years to come. This was ground zero for me when it comes to Power Pop and Alternative music on a local level and eventually led to my discovery of R.E.M., the Spongetones, the Connells, Arrogance, Don Dixon, Fetchin' Bones, Let's Active and tons of others. Years later, Holsapple went on to join R.E.M. in an "auxiliary" capacity circa Green and Out of Time. In more recent years Holsapple and Stamey have started working together again in and out of the dB's. In 2010 Stamey unveiled the first of a series of concerts that showcased a fully fleshed out version of Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers album which utilized the original orchestral charts created by Alex Chilton. It was his work on that project that planted the seed for his newest solo effort, Lovesick Blues, which drops tomorrow. This week Stamey's the guest editor at Magnet Magazine.

Q&A With Chris Stamey

Kudzu Guillotine

Perfect length for a pop song: 2:42
Joshua Allen of The Morning News says all pop songs must be 2:42. Even one second, in either direction will ruin it.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Perfect length for a pop song: 2:42
Joshua Allen of The Morning News says all pop songs must be 2:42. Even one second, in either direction will ruin it.

Shit! That's Outdoor Miner by Wire ruined for me then, how can I ever listen to it again.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

So would the La's be considered power pop?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Perfect length for a pop song: 2:42

Only 32 "perfect" songs in my collection (not all "pop")
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:So would the La's be considered power pop?

According to the folks at PowerPop Overdose they are.

The La's - The La's - 1990

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

First of the planned Game Theory reissues came out earlier this week

Here's a great article on the genius that was Scott Miller

http://www.wonderingsound.com/feature/s ... ler-essay/
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:First of the planned Game Theory reissues came out earlier this week

Great article is right! Thanks. I love it when somebody who really knows what they're talking about writes about something I like and provides real insight.

Kudzu Guillotine

beantownbubba wrote:
dogstar wrote:First of the planned Game Theory reissues came out earlier this week

Great article is right! Thanks. I love it when somebody who really knows what they're talking about writes about something I like and provides real insight.

While I remember Game Theory from back in the day, I am still largely unfamiliar with them so I plan to pick up some of these reissues at some point. When Let's Active played their first show in 24 years earlier this summer, former Game Theory bassist Suzi Ziegler filled in for the late Faye Hunter and did a very admirable job. There are now rumors circulating of Let's Active joining Echo and the Bunnymen on tour.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

beantownbubba wrote:

It's made me really curious about Aimee Mann's music, which I know nothing about.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

I agree with Ted Leo. The chorus of "Erica's Word " is perfect. What a great, great song.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

dogstar wrote:It's made me really curious about Aimee Mann's music, which I know nothing about.

Ms. Mann is a local favorite since her days w/ Til Tuesday. She doesn't do bad albums, but some are clearly better than others. I love the first two, Whatever and I'm With Stupid. Bachelor No. 2 is among her better later albums and a lot of people like her work on the soundtrack of Magnolia. Warning: She did go through a period where every other song was about her bitterness towards the record industry and music buying public which had not made her a star and that got old, but some of 'em are real zingers, especially the earlier ones.

Her new album w/ Ted Leo, under the group name The Both (hey I don't make 'em up I just report 'em) is excellent and in my view one of this year's best. [Tip 'o the musical cap to emandrisdad]