A Night With the World's Most Hated Bands

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

A Night With the World's Most Hated Bands

Post by Bill in CT »

Chuck Klosterman saw Creed and Nickelback in the same night so you don't have to.
Then he wrote about it.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/784 ... ated-bands
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Clams

Re: A Night With the World's Most Hated Bands

Post by Clams »

Apparently a bunch of the Flyers were at the Nickleback show in Philly last night. They've been taking shit for it all day long on sports radio.
If you don't run you rust

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Oh man, I wish I didn't hear about that. Why is it that most athletes have bad taste in music? I would practically faint if I heard Ryan Howard talk about how awesome DBT is during a post-game interview.
Baseball players: Creed
Hockey players: Nickleback
why?

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Glad I read that. Still not a big fan of yardling vocals or scientifically engineered mega hits, but if Jerry Cantrell thinks they're good enough to jam with what do I know?
Not forever, just for now.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

211poundsofpork wrote:Oh man, I wish I didn't hear about that. Why is it that most athletes have bad taste in music? I would practically faint if I heard Ryan Howard talk about how awesome DBT is during a post-game interview.
Baseball players: Creed
Hockey players: Nickleback
why?

There was a quarterback at the university of georgia, his name was Matt Stafford, he is now with the Detroit Lions, when he was at UGA an interviewer asked him if he was into the music scene in Athens at all, Matt looked at the guy like he was crazy and said no.

Athletes, for the most part, are the cool kids and jocks so they're busy doing other things then finding out about music, they'll just be happy with whatever they are spoon fed from the radio and media.
LJ: 3DD's resident hipster

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

God, I love Klosterman.

and how about that couple who came from Dubai!?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

'Scratch wrote:Glad I read that. Still not a big fan of yardling vocals or scientifically engineered mega hits, but if Jerry Cantrell thinks they're good enough to jam with what do I know?

Did he jam with them or just open a tour for them?

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/ca ... ry-021226/

He has positive things to say about touring with Nickelback...as for Creed, not so much.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Bill in CT wrote:
'Scratch wrote:Glad I read that. Still not a big fan of yardling vocals or scientifically engineered mega hits, but if Jerry Cantrell thinks they're good enough to jam with what do I know?

He has positive things to say about touring with Nickelback...as for Creed, not so much.

Jerry Cantrell likes them and plays with them often

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

LuthierJustin wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:

Jerry Cantrell likes them and plays with them often

Oh well. As the saying goes...nobody's perfect.

LuthierJustin

Post by LuthierJustin »

Yaaarrrllll

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Neil Young is buddies with Dave Matthews but I'm still a big Neil fan. :lol:

RMD

Post by RMD »

That's a great read. And I do in fact hate Nickleback and Creed.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Bill in CT wrote:Neil Young is buddies with Dave Matthews but I'm still a big Neil fan. :lol:

I wish I could unread that.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Bill in CT wrote:Neil Young is buddies with Dave Matthews but I'm still a big Neil fan. :lol:

Dave Matthews hit the scene when I was in college and grew his audience via relentless touring (mostly colleges). I really liked his first few albums in college, but never listen to him anymore. My tastes have changed and he's not my cup of tea, but I can respect him and can completely understand how and why Neil likes him.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

'Scratch wrote:

I wish I could unread that.

:?
Last edited by Bill in CT on Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

cortez the killer wrote:

Dave Matthews hit the scene when I was in college and grew his audience via relentless touring (mostly colleges). I really liked his first few albums in college, but never listen to him anymore. My tastes have changed and he's not my cup of tea, but I can respect him and can completely understand how and why Neil likes him.

I think Dave Matthews is an excellent guitar player. That said, his writing and singing do nothing for me and never have. The same goes for his band.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

cortez the killer wrote:

Same. Though, I was in high school.

That said, I do still listen to the DM/Tim Reynolds disc (Live At Luther) from 99, which features some incredible guitar work and for the most part doesn't sound like a DMB disc.

"The media deemed them as Christian rock, so some people assumed they were preachy," he said. "But the bigger problem was that they were equated with Pearl Jam. That doesn't matter so much now, but it really mattered when they were new. Pearl Jam has already achieved mainstream success, so everyone thought Creed was piggybacking on the mainstream success of Pearl Jam. That's what turned everyone against them. That's why they got punished."

No, no...it really isn't.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Penny Lane wrote:God, I love Klosterman.

and how about that couple who came from Dubai!?

Well, that's when you now a band is over, when people start coming over from far away places like Dubai, Japan.... or Scandinavia :lol:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Klosterman is so awesome. These bands are both actually in the Boston area this weekend. Puke.

The Dave matthews thing is diffferent as far as Neil goes. he plays a big part in Farm Aid. I hate the guys music but as a businessman (ATO Records) and other stuff he is ok. Neil i'm sure isn't a big fan of his music but he probably respects him and let's put it this way. When they play together they are not doing DMB songs...they do Neil songs.

that said you can pretty much write the same article about DMB, Phish, String Cheese and all those other terrible jambands IMO.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
"The media deemed them as Christian rock, so some people assumed they were preachy," he said. "But the bigger problem was that they were equated with Pearl Jam. That doesn't matter so much now, but it really mattered when they were new. Pearl Jam has already achieved mainstream success, so everyone thought Creed was piggybacking on the mainstream success of Pearl Jam. That's what turned everyone against them. That's why they got punished."

There's some truth to that quote. Didn't Creed fire their bass player back in the day after he made some negative comments about PJ in the press?
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Dave Matthews might not be appreciated on this board, but a lot of other musicians respect him and enjoy his music.

Regarding Shakey, I think he likes the way DMB plays just fine. I watched him come out, unannounced, and jam for about 40 minutes with DMB at Hilton Coliseum in Ames, IA back when I was in college. They played Cortez, RITFW, and All Along the Watchtower. Neil was having a fucking blast.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Duke Silver wrote:
Flying Rabbit wrote:

There's some truth to that quote. Didn't Creed fire their bass player back in the day after he made some negative comments about PJ in the press?

Dunno. But the reason I don't think it was why "they got punished" was simply because when PJ hit the scene and then subsequent years after--there were plenty of growl-heavy/PJ-esque bands that came along and did just fine--Stone Temple Pilots I'm looking at you. As for the Christian-angle, explain how POD back in the day, and currently The Civil Wars, Needtobreathe, and Switchfoot do so well now--even among mainstream listeners.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:Dave Matthews might not be appreciated on this board, but a lot of other musicians respect him and enjoy his music.

I respect him and his band as they're all consumate musicians but in all honesty their music just doesn't do a whole lot for me. When I first heard of the DMB back in the mid-90's I liked several songs I heard but then it all started to sound exactly alike after a while.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:Dave Matthews might not be appreciated on this board, but a lot of other musicians respect him and enjoy his music.

I respect him and his band as they're all consumate musicians but in all honesty their music just doesn't do a whole lot for me. When I first heard of the DMB back in the mid-90's I liked several songs I heard but then it all started to sound exactly alike after a while.

I can't stomach his songs now. I was into him like most in college. Mostly because cute girls I liked went to his shows in all honestly but his music does zero for me. I hate his vocal style and it seems his albums have gotten worse and worse..and the crowds at his shows are awful. I was at those shows in Hartford in like 99' when they set a bunch of fires and all that...I vowed never to see him again.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I like DMB's solo record more than most of his full band stuff
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bold99 wrote:Klosterman is so awesome. These bands are both actually in the Boston area this weekend. Puke.

The Dave matthews thing is diffferent as far as Neil goes. he plays a big part in Farm Aid. I hate the guys music but as a businessman (ATO Records) and other stuff he is ok. Neil i'm sure isn't a big fan of his music but he probably respects him and let's put it this way. When they play together they are not doing DMB songs...they do Neil songs.

that said you can pretty much write the same article about DMB, Phish, String Cheese and all those other terrible jambands IMO.

Matthews' early albums really weren't bad at all and I have seen a few performance with both Tim Reynolds and Trey Anastasio that were damned good. Also his version of Cortez The Killer with Warren Haynes from the Live at Central Park DVD is excellent. Today I have no use for him at all but then again I'm not his intended audience.

What separates good bands from bad bands, IMHO, is songwriting not playing. I'm sure the members of Creed and Nickeback are fine players, but the songs have no heart or soul. I used to see a lot of jambands and you know most are fantastic when they play covers, hell String Cheese Incident were amazing on Talking Heads tunes of which they did several, but they couldn't write songs anywhere near that. I don't think it was lack if trying though. Phish is similar but they do have at least some excellent songs. I think the bottom line is that great songwriters can get away with being average musicians and, in effect, learn on the job but it's a lot harder for great musicians to suddenly get better at songwriting. I suppose it happens but not often.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

For the record, I'm not saying I don't respect DMB's work ethic or musicianship. I just don't dig that whole jam band we are the world stuff. I still have a strong desire to punch the lead singer of the Spin Doctors in the mouth. They're another one.

I guess I knew too many Trustafarian Deadhead wannabees in high school.

Mongo not like pussy jam bands. Mongo like angry rock.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Jam bands are awful. Awful music, awful fanbases. No exceptions.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Duke Silver wrote:Jam bands are awful. Awful music, awful fanbases. No exceptions.

I have no love for jam bands, but are you lumping the Grateful Dead in here, as they're the godfathers of all jam bands
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Jam bands are awful. Awful music, awful fanbases. No exceptions.

I have no love for jam bands, but are you lumping the Grateful Dead in here, as they're the godfathers of all jam bands

As much as I enjoy American Beauty....no exceptions.