Farrar/Johnson/Parker/Yames tour

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oilpiers

Re: Farrar/Johnson/Parker/Yames tour

Post by oilpiers »

Why are some people so judgmental and even hostile about someone elses opinion in a stupid fan message board?

joelle

Post by joelle »

oilpiers wrote:Why are some people so judgmental and even hostile about someone elses opinion in a stupid fan message board?

huh?
because people are crazy. and stupid. and yudgmental. generally.
by the way, where did you see hostility? :twisted:
and did you just call threedimesdown STUPID!!!!???? blasphemy. (i'm fucking kidding about that) :lol:

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

oilpiers wrote:Why are some people so judgmental and even hostile about someone elses opinion in a stupid fan message board?

Ouch. You could've just said "yudgmental".

joelle

Post by joelle »

WoodDuck wrote:

Ouch. You could've just said "yudgmental".

i did 8-)

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

joelle wrote:i did 8-)

Can I say My Morning Yacket?

:lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Yy Yorning Yacket

joelle

Post by joelle »

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Yesus Christ.

joelle

Post by joelle »

WoodDuck wrote:Yesus Christ.

besides being well over 6'5'' and not from the south...
one of these things (hint: anders parker)
is not like the others.

seriously though, i was fortunate enough to have will johnson and anders parker play a living room show in my house last year. they were so gracious, laid back, funny, interesting and very kind to my children.

weird thing though, will johnson kept asking me to call him John Thursday...?... 8-)

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

joelle wrote:seriously though, i was fortunate enough to have will johnson and anders parker play a living room show in my house last year. they were so gracious, laid back, funny, interesting and very kind to my children.

weird thing though, will johnson kept asking me to call him John Thursday...?... 8-)

When I told Chris Stamey I was doing a review for the Guitartown list for the Whiskeytown reunion he took part in at the Lakeside Lounge in Raleigh back in 2000 he asked me to refer to him as "Rooster McGhee" in the review. The "McGhee" part was apparently inspired by Bon Jovi's manager Doc McGhee (who'd recently gotten into some trouble stemming from a drug smuggling operation) but I have no idea where the "Rooster" thing came from. Strange cat, that Stamey.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Iowan wrote:I like MMJ and think that James is a good musician, but the "Yim Yames" thing seems dumb to me, and lacks humor. I think Chad Johnson is way past his prime, but it seems kind of funny. I get the impression that Jim James wants the pseudonym to be taken seriously to an extent.

i don't think he cares if it's taken seriously or not...
there was already a musician called Jim James as a solo artist, so he just chose that as a joke...

i'll be at the NYC show, i can't wait for this...I've never seen Jay Farrar or Son Volt--i regret it because he's played a ton at Maxwells..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Shakespeare wrote:Anyway, bought a ticket for the Birchmere show this morning. Bobby Bare Jr opening was icing on the cake. I hope it's like the Monsters of Folk tour where they play collab songs and some of their own material.

I am hoping for this too but according to what I have read they will be paying homage to Woody Guthrie and doing a bunch of his unfinished songs. I will be at the Birchmere show too.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Will Johnson just tweeted that he's now going only by "Count Chocula." And while Farrar refuses to acknowledge it the rest of the boys are calling him "Fish Taco"
Beebs is not a ragey man

Kudzu Guillotine

Beebs wrote:Will Johnson just tweeted that he's now going only by "Count Chocula."

Funny, that's the name his fellow No Depression listers used to put on Ryan Adams when that list was still on AOL. Some of the funniest nicknames I've ever heard come from the members of Old and In the Way. So funny that I can hardly think of any of them now.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Jay Fararr is a big Guthrie fan. He had a concert backdrop of Guthrie's guitar with "This Machine kills Facists" on it. Okemah tour I think. This album should be really good. Silly names aside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woody_Guthrie

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Words of Woody Guthrie ringin' in my head.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for all the Fillmore tickets in March, given that the Mothra-fucking* fees are 1/3 of the ticket price.

*sci-fi edition
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

one belt loop wrote:I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for all the Fillmore tickets in March, given that the Mothra-fucking* fees are 1/3 of the ticket price.

*sci-fi edition

Send for Godzilla

"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

What's with Farrar's Bieber haircut?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

one belt loop wrote:I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for all the Fillmore tickets in March, given that the Mothra-fucking* fees are 1/3 of the ticket price.

*sci-fi edition

I have a plan. Sucks that the Woodie thing is a Tuesday.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

cortez the killer

Tuesday, February 21st on WFUV

7:40 AM and 4:45 PM, Take Five: Jay Farrar (Son Volt), Will Johnson (Centro-matic), Anders Parker (Varnaline), and Yim Yames (My Morning Jacket) talk with FUV's Rita Houston about their work with the Woody Guthrie Archives and the resulting project, New Multitudes.

9 PM, Words and Music from Studio A: New Multitudes combines the musical talents of Jay Farrar (Son Volt), Will Johnson (Centro-matic), Anders Parker (Varnaline), and Yim Yames (My Morning Jacket) and the words of Woody Guthrie -- in an impressive addition to this year's Woody Guthrie Centennial. Learn more as the foursome joins FUV's Rita Houston in Studio A.
- DPM

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Penny Lane wrote:
Iowan wrote:I like MMJ and think that James is a good musician, but the "Yim Yames" thing seems dumb to me, and lacks humor. I think Chad Johnson is way past his prime, but it seems kind of funny. I get the impression that Jim James wants the pseudonym to be taken seriously to an extent.

there was already a musician called Jim James as a solo artist, so he just chose that as a joke...

i'll be at the NYC show, i can't wait for this...I've never seen Jay Farrar or Son Volt--i regret it because he's played a ton at Maxwells..

Exactly. I've seen elsewhere that people have a problem with the Yim thing or calling it pretentious. He's explained it in interviews and it's strange to me that people take offense. I've been lucky enough to talk to Jim multiple times and there's nothing pretentious about him. He's truly a great guy and one of the best musicians on the planet.

Really wish they were coming to TX.

Kudzu Guillotine

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

ford911 wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

Exactly. I've seen elsewhere that people have a problem with the Yim thing or calling it pretentious. He's explained it in interviews and it's strange to me that people take offense. I've been lucky enough to talk to Jim multiple times and there's nothing pretentious about him. He's truly a great guy and one of the best musicians on the planet.

Really wish they were coming to TX.

i need to give you a HELL YEAH for that post! FEB 28!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Clams

Post by Clams »

I've been looking forward to this project but, frankly, the prospect of a whole disc worth of unknown Woody Guthrie songs has scared the hell out of me. Not to mention two hours worth of such tunes at the live show. But this track has put my fears to rest. Alsum!
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Clams wrote:

I've been looking forward to this project but, frankly, the prospect of a whole disc worth of unknown Woody Guthrie songs has scared the hell out of me. Not to mention two hours worth of such tunes at the live show. But this track has put my fears to rest. Alsum!

Two discs of previously unheard Woody Guthrie songs stood up pretty well on the Mermaid Avenue albums so I figured this batch would be in good hands with this group of folks as well. I really like the new song too.

mahg33ta

Post by mahg33ta »

Clams wrote:

As my wife said, I'd go listen to Jim james fart in a kazoo for 90 minutes. True. Still, I was approaching this gig with a little uncertainty. So far the only review I've found of the album was very strong - 4 stars- and that made me feel a little better. And I like the first song. Not a lot of time to digest the album given show is a few weeks after release.

http://www.musicomh.com/albums/farrar-johnson-parker-yames_0112.htm

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

mahg33ta wrote:
As my wife said, I'd go listen to Jim james fart in a kazoo for 90 minutes.

I hear that's going to be one of his shows at the Newport Folk Fest this year.. ;) :lol:

cortez the killer

Does he perform the kazoo flatulence pieces as Jim or Yim?
- DPM