Farrar/Johnson/Parker/Yames tour

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Farrar/Johnson/Parker/Yames tour

Post by Clams »

Just saw this in an email from a local promotor here in Philly.

On March 13th we are lucky to host the all star project featuring Jay Farrar (SON VOLT), Will Johnson (CENTROMATIC) , Anders Parker (VARNALINE) & Yim Yames (MY MORNING JACKET). They'll be performing original songs they composed with the lyrics of Woodie Guthrie at Union Transfer. It's going to be a big one! Tickets on sale this Friday.

That's an awesome lineup. If this tour has been previously discussed here, I must've missed it. I'm in for that show.
If you don't run you rust

dee dee

Re: Farrar/Johnson/Parker/Yames tour

Post by dee dee »

Clams wrote:Just saw this in an email from a local promotor here in Philly.

On March 13th we are lucky to host the all star project featuring Jay Farrar (SON VOLT), Will Johnson (CENTROMATIC) , Anders Parker (VARNALINE) & Yim Yames (MY MORNING JACKET). They'll be performing original songs they composed with the lyrics of Woodie Guthrie at Union Transfer. It's going to be a big one! Tickets on sale this Friday.

That's an awesome lineup. If this tour has been previously discussed here, I must've missed it. I'm in for that show.

Here's the tour dates:

Jim James, Jay Farrar, Will Johnson, Anders Parker -- 2012 Tour Dates
03/06 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore
03/07 Los Angeles, CA Music Box
03/09 Portland, OR Crystal Ballroom
03/10 Seattle, WA Showbox
03/12 Alexandria, VA The Birchmere
03/13 Philadelphia, PA Union Transfer
03/14 New York, NY Webster Hall
03/16 Boston, MA Paradise

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

The Fillmore has got it jumpin' off in March man!
Keep calm and have a cigar

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

I received an e-mail from Bobby Bare Jr. He is opening for them on the NE swing (12th through 16th). St. Louis is jealous.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Eyein' up that Birchmere show--which, if any of you have been there, know that's going to be incredible.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Just bought tix for the Philly show. :)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Am I the only one who thinks the "Yim Yames" thing is idiotic? Its like he's being rock's "Ochocinco".

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the "Yim Yames" thing is idiotic?

No.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the "Yim Yames" thing is idiotic? Its like he's being rock's "Ochocinco".

shoulda learned from this...

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

bovine knievel wrote:
Iowan wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the "Yim Yames" thing is idiotic? Its like he's being rock's "Ochocinco".

shoulda learned from this...

Who gave Garth the Filthy Rodriguez?
- DPM

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

It's weird, but doesn't really bother me. "Jim James" is already a stage name he created, so whatever. His life. The weird part for me is that he only uses YY sometimes.

Ochocinco is awesome though, mostly because the NFL really needs to lighten the fuck up about players having fun. Chad's commitment to a joke/protest is outstanding.

Anyway, bought a ticket for the Birchmere show this morning. Bobby Bare Jr opening was icing on the cake. I hope it's like the Monsters of Folk tour where they play collab songs and some of their own material.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Never got around to buying the album but I really enjoyed that Gob Iron tour a few years back with Farrar, Anders Parker and Mark Spencer.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Never got around to buying the album but I really enjoyed that Gob Iron tour a few years back with Farrar, Anders Parker and Mark Spencer.

I LOVE that album. (Thanks, Cortez)

Mr. Yames definitely reeks of pretension, sometimes.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Shakespeare wrote:

It's weird, but doesn't really bother me. "Jim James" is already a stage name he created, so whatever. His life. The weird part for me is that he only uses YY sometimes.

Ochocinco is awesome though, mostly because the NFL really needs to lighten the fuck up about players having fun. Chad's commitment to a joke/protest is outstanding.

Anyway, bought a ticket for the Birchmere show this morning. Bobby Bare Jr opening was icing on the cake. I hope it's like the Monsters of Folk tour where they play collab songs and some of their own material.

Chad is being ridiculous and its funny. Jim is being ridiculous and its more pretentious than it is funny.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Iowan wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:

Chad is being ridiculous and its funny. Jim is being ridiculous and its more pretentious than it is funny.

Well that is an opinion. Ochocinco is an obnoxious egomanic with little recent accomplishments to back up his self promotion. If Jim is an egomaniac, he is a hell of a lot more productive and entertaning. If you are impatient, FF to about 2:30.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I like MMJ and think that James is a good musician, but the "Yim Yames" thing seems dumb to me, and lacks humor. I think Chad Johnson is way past his prime, but it seems kind of funny. I get the impression that Jim James wants the pseudonym to be taken seriously to an extent.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

Iowan wrote:I like MMJ and think that James is a good musician, but the "Yim Yames" thing seems dumb to me, and lacks humor. I think Chad Johnson is way past his prime, but it seems kind of funny. I get the impression that Jim James wants the pseudonym to be taken seriously to an extent.

I will admit it is stupid also. The only rationalization I see for it is it appears he uses it with his non MMJ projects. Both names are psuedonyms, and Jim James is his MMJ name, and Yim is for other projects. Still dumb, but Ochocinco was just something to embarrass football announcers who were forced to call him that stupid name.

joelle

Post by joelle »

pot kettle black

i think it is funny, all these people on a message board, talking music, criticizing someone they do not know personally, for his use of a pseudonym;all the while using "board names". you got to pick a fake name that sounded fun to you. you wanted some anonymity. none of us know what his intentions were or are.

anyway, his job is to make good music. he does that and rocks out.
i am excited for this project. immensely.
i don't give a rat's ass what the liner notes or tour posters say.
i just want to hear it.

just sayin'

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

joelle wrote:pot kettle black

i think it is funny, all these people on a message board, talking music, criticizing someone they do not know personally, for his use of a pseudonym;all the while using "board names". you got to pick a fake name that sounded fun to you. you wanted some anonymity. none of us know what his intentions were or are.

i just want to hear it.

just sayin'

Valid points. I truly don't care one way or another what he calls himself. That does not eliminate my involuntary feeling that it is silly, or to express that feeling.
I am planning on going to the LA show, but the venue, the Music Box, is closed. I have not found word of what is happening. I have Jayhawks tickets for 2-2 there, and also no info on what is going on, other than it is closed.

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

At the end of the day it's probably the least important thing to consider for a musician. Jim seems to be a really weird guy, so wanting to go by something like Yim Yames isn't really unprecedented for him. As long as his music stays good, I don't care what he records it as.

All that being said, I've never actually referred to him as Yim Yames myself.

cortez the killer

joelle wrote:pot kettle black

i just want to hear it.

just sayin'

Pot silver, kettle black

While I don't know Jim James or Yim Yames personally, I don't think it is hypocritical, insensitive or in poor taste to have an opinion on his use of a preudonym. He obviously has his reasons for doing so and apparently they make perfect sense to him. Perhaps those that partake in these judgements can be accused of making them without know the whole story. But to portray the situation as being hypocritical seems a bit over the top. Also, I don't really see the connection between a fairly well-known performer (a public figure if you will) using a pseudonym after years in the limelight and a bunch of anonymous fans who come onto a message board for an entirely different band using screen names.

Just sayin'.
- DPM

Clams

Post by Clams »

I couldn't give a shit whether he calls himself Jim James or Yim Yames. As long as he brings his guitar. You people are crazy.

cortez the killer

Clams wrote:You people are crazy.

Yes.
- DPM

joelle

Post by joelle »

cortez
post were being made to him and his use of his pseudonym being "ridiculous, pretentious, using it is idiotic,dumb, humorless"

who cares?

the thread should be about the new project.farrar/johnson/parker/yames
maybe someone can start a thread about stupid names rock stars use. or stupid things they do in their personal life. i can skip those threads.

for the record, since this thread, has now derailed to names, i think it is silly and ridiculous to use made up names on message boards. granted, last names, social security numbers, addresses would be ridiculous! but fake names seem odd ESPECIALLY after people post pictures of themselves, meet at shows, become friends, etc.

i understand why people do it. i just do not ( or try hard not to) igive my opinion on personal choices or matters if i do not know the person or why they do ( did ) something.

so , if people do not want to be judged by others, they should not judge. that is pot kettle black.

obviously, you and i have very different opinions on internet forum. we both know this already.

joelle

Post by joelle »

Clams wrote:. You people are crazy.

guilty

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:You people are crazy.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

joelle wrote:

guilty

Yoelle.

joelle

Post by joelle »

WoodDuck wrote:
joelle wrote:

guilty

Yoelle.

en espanol it is pronounced hohell

nice right?...

and the derailing continues. ;)

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

The train has yumped the tracks.

Gonna be a great album. Yim, Yay, Yohnson, Yanders. Yeah.

Yolly Yimmy yumps for yoy in Yanuary.

Will

Post by Will »

WoodDuck wrote:The train has yumped the tracks.

Gonna be a great album. Yim, Yay, Yohnson, Yanders. Yeah.

Yolly Yimmy yumps for yoy in Yanuary.

Yes.