Artist of the Week: Strand of Oaks (11/27/11)

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Artist of the Week: Strand of Oaks (11/27/11)

Post by Penny Lane »

Band: Strand of Oaks
Members: Timothy Showalter of Wilkes-Barre, PA
You might like him if you also like: Dream Academy, Damien Rice, Phosphorescent, Wax Fang , AA Bondy, Bright Eyes, Bon Iver, early My Morning Jacket, Elliot Smith, Iron & Wine
Albums: Leave Ruin (2009) and Pope Kildragon (2010)

Strand of Oaks is Timothy Showalter, a very talented former teacher from Wilkes-Barre, who was last seen opening all over the country for Crooked Fingers. Even if it's not something you'd normally listen to, put on a song with some killer sennheisers, maybe turn the lights off. Like I always tell people about the Truckers, I don't think anyone around is making music like this guy. I can't explain the effect his two albums, Leave Ruin (2009) and Pope Kildragon (2010), has had on me. This post isn't going to be very long because I'm just learning about his music, and it's probably something to discover on your own. Some of the songs are folk tales, some are love letters, some are 'set in a post apocalyptic Wilkes-Barre' (according to my friend from Wilkes-Barre). I first got hooked on Pope Kildragon but then went back and got his debut, Leave Ruin, and am currently hooked on that even more. I missed him playing NYC last year because it was during the My Morning Jacket Terminal 5 run, but this time around, I was lucky enough to catch his Maxwells and Mercury Lounge sets. When he performs, you can pretty much hear a pin drop.

Bonfire:

One of my favorite songs: Daniel's Blues (written from Dan Akroyd's point of view of the death of John Belushi)

Here are some listens:
http://www.hearya.com/2011/03/29/strand-of-oaks-live-session-86/

You can download Pope Kildragon demos here: (and also order the album)

http://strandofoaks.bandcamp.com/album/pope-killdragon-demos

Not a fan of Pitchfork, but here's their review of Pope Kildragon. It's worth the read for once.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14567-pope-killdragon/

Those are the attention-grabbing tactics, but Pope Killdragon maintains these strange juxtapositions throughout: historical fact with whimsical fiction, a mournful delivery of absurd lyrics, an odd allure to the bifurcated sonics where synths sidle up with acoustic guitars. It's easy to envision the "next Bon Iver!" plaudits-- Showalter looks and sounds the part, but that would miss the deeper commonality. Auto-Tune, Gayngs, rolling spliffs with Rick Ross-- Justin Vernon has made the most of the spotlight by cutting against an image that requires him to continually hurt harder than others. Similarly, Pope Killdragon's playfulness and sense of humor allow it a broader range of emotion than the typical sadsack folkie. Showalter did a good deal of bloodletting on Leave Ruin, and now Strand of Oaks' horizons are limited only by his fantastical imagination.

Alex Kona was 12 feet tall
His mother was killed by a bowling ball..
(I wrote this song for a very deep reason, to win an ipod. -T Showalter) at TT and the Bears in Cambridge, MA

and if there's one song I can think to hook you, it's this:
TWO KIDS

j

There is a new album that was supposed to come out in January, but I hear it will take a while longer. In any case, I'm very excited about the future for SOO.

Interview:

http://www.cokemachineglow.com/feature/6444/interview-strandofoaks-2011

Lastly, the stunning Kill Dragon from Pope Kildragon

Last edited by Penny Lane on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

dime in the gutter

Re: Artist of the Week: Strand of Oaks (11/27/11)

Post by dime in the gutter »

have seen, with interest, crow headed dude lp posted in the listening thread. had no idea who or what. thanks for something new. cool.

these aotw threads are sweet. last week ramonz busts out with one of the all time t-shirt collections...and now we get crow headed dude's take on john belushi's death thru the eyes of dan akroyd. stellar. can't wait to que it up.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Thanks, Dime.

I was turned off of this at first because of the 80's synth sound but it really grew on me. I've heard a song off the new album and it's gonna be terrific, even more rock/synth but in the most acoustically awesome way if that's possible.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Strand of Oaks sounds incredibly interesting and I love to hear about talented song writers/musicians from PA making it. Though he sounds pretty unique, I would throw Josh T Pearson, Iron and Wine and Elliot Smith on your list, "If you like...". We're big fans of both Iron and Wine and Elliot Smith in this household and I imagine we'll like Strand of Oaks. I'll look for him in Central PA, as we're right down the road from Wilkes Barre.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Gang Green wrote:Strand of Oaks sounds incredibly interesting and I love to hear about talented song writers/musicians from PA making it. Though he sounds pretty unique, I would throw Josh T Pearson, Iron and Wine and Elliot Smith on your list, "If you like...". We're big fans of both Iron and Wine and Elliot Smith in this household and I imagine we'll like Strand of Oaks. I'll look for him in Central PA, as we're right down the road from Wilkes Barre.

Done! So true...

Also, did you see the I&W vinyl that came out this last Record Store Day? (w/Low Anthem?) Headhunter (from this forum) picked it up and was telling me about it. Nice find!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Well, you grabbed my attention. Gonna dive in now...

Thanks for the writeup.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

bovine knievel wrote:Well, you grabbed my attention. Gonna dive in now...

Thanks for the writeup.

considering that you turned me on to Duke and the King and Phosphorescent, I think you might like this...

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Gang Green wrote:Strand of Oaks sounds incredibly interesting and I love to hear about talented song writers/musicians from PA making it. Though he sounds pretty unique, I would throw Josh T Pearson, Iron and Wine and Elliot Smith on your list, "If you like...". We're big fans of both Iron and Wine and Elliot Smith in this household and I imagine we'll like Strand of Oaks. I'll look for him in Central PA, as we're right down the road from Wilkes Barre.

My mom grew up thereabouts, too.

edit: She's not a musician but she's pretty stellar in her own way.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Penny Lane wrote:

Done! So true...

Also, did you see the I&W vinyl that came out this last Record Store Day? (w/Low Anthem?) Headhunter (from this forum) picked it up and was telling me about it. Nice find!

Call me lame, but I just don't do the vinyl thing anymore, though I did make an exception for "Your Women is a Living Thing," two years ago. The closest Independant record shop to me is about 50 minutes away in downtown Lancaster. But, that I&W sounds very interesting.

OBL, if your Mom is from Wilkes Barre, I can't imagine she would be anything but steller. I love Wilkes Barre, but its a tough place to hang-out in the middle of winter, or if you've driven through there in a snow storm like I did once. Let's just say, its not for wimps.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm liking it.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

bold99

Post by bold99 »

cool write up. This guy is really good. I don't even know how to pinpoint it, why I'm so addicted to it, but there is just something there. I'm listening mostly to Pope Killdragon because I can't seem to stop listening to it. The first song sounds like it should've been on the Drive soundtrack...and then it just gets better and better. He has such a great voice and it blends so well with his guitar and pedals. He makes some great sounds...and Giant's Despair jumps out with Metal-ish riffs which is not what you expect hearing the songs before...I love that.

I'm definitely going to see this guy next time he comes around and I want to see if I can get him to do my friend's Kitchen Session series..he's be perfect for it.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

When I first heard it last year, I didn't give it much of a chance....you really have to hang in there for the end of these songs..his voice is incredible. For weeks, I just listened to Pope Kildragon but Leave Ruin (which is about coming home and finding his house burned completely down) is pretty powerful. I'm not sure if Leave Ruin is avail on vinyl. He just signed with a bigger label.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

[quote="Penny Lane"]Band: Strand of Oaks

You might like him if you also like: Dream Academy, Damien Rice, Phosphorescent, Wax Fang , AA Bondy, Bright Eyes, Bon Iver, early My Morning Jacket, Elliot Smith, Iron & Wine

Given that I'm way under 50% on the "also like" list, I'm guessing this isn't for me, but nice write up, penny.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Band: Strand of Oaks

Given that I'm way under 50% on the "also like" list, I'm guessing this isn't for me, but nice write up, penny.

NOOOOOOO that's just a suggestion!! Try it anyway !! :D

Damn, I shouldn't have listed those bands. Really, the only band I first thought of when I heard it was 'who wrote that song Life in a Northern Town?'....