Musicians - what was the first song you learned to play?

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

'Scratch

Musicians - what was the first song you learned to play?

Post by 'Scratch »

Just curious. For me it was Zip City and I still love to play it. Such a great chord progression.
Not forever, just for now.

Joshua

Re: Musicians - what was the first song you learned to play?

Post by Joshua »

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

I messed around just learning different riffs in the beginning, e.g., Iron Man, Paranoid, Back In Black, Highway to Hell. But "Wish You Were Here" was the first song I sat down and learned from beginning to end. Still love playing that song today.
So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I'm pretty sure it was Every Rose Has Its Thorn or some other such G/C/D based song
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ChicoHarris

Post by ChicoHarris »

"Kansas City," I think.

Although I know too many good professional musicians to answer to "musician."

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

By "musician" I meant any hack who likes to strum, tickle or pound. That should include most everybody when you think about it.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

'Scratch wrote:By "musician" I meant any hack who likes to strum, tickle or pound. That should include most everybody when you think about it.

Well in that case, put me down for Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Clams

Post by Clams »

The first full song Jr and I learned when we started guitar lessons was Help by the Beatles. I have a pic of us playing at the recital, maybe I'll scan it. Soon after that, I taught myself Zip City. I remember being amazed at how easy and simple it was (well, the chords anyway). I still go back to strumming that Em-G-D-A more than any other song.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Well, based on that definition, I once learned how to play Dylan's "It Aint Me, Babe" on the guitar.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

Since it includes anyone who happens to play once in awhile mine was:

Driver 8

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

i've been playing guitar since i was 14 or so, and i honestly can't remember what the first song i learned was. i took lessons at the beginning, so it was probably something like "twinkle, twinkle, little star," or "greensleeves." the first "impress your friends/show off for the girls" song i learned was probably "alive" by pearl jam, "december" by collective soul, or "disarm" by smashing pumpkins. i remember playing those a lot...

Clams wrote:Soon after that, I taught myself Zip City. I remember being amazed at how easy and simple it was (well, the chords anyway). I still go back to strumming that Em-G-D-A more than any other song.

that's probably my favorite chord progression ever. so simple, yet so distinct. when i was playing in a band a few years ago, if we were opening up for a big touring band and only got a few minutes to sound check, that was my go-to soundcheck riff. good way to identify the dbt fans in the crowd, too. :D
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

the one chord "happy birthday". the only "song" i can play all the way through lol...
i still plan on figuring something out someday, tho - got two nephews who can rip it up -
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

It was either Sunshine of Your Love or The Subhuman.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

For Your Love by the Yardbirds.

Actually I probably learned some other shit when I had some lessons at age 12 but I've forgotten.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Clams wrote: I still go back to strumming that Em-G-D-A more than any other song.

Yeah, me too. Instant teleport to my happy place. And yes, I'm one of those annoying drunken guys yelling ZIP CITY!! at the end of the show.

I think the second song I learned was Goddamn Lonely Love. Or maybe the Living Bubba. Often as not, the first thing I start strumming is Love Like This or maybe Space City, or Women Without Whiskey. Love those Cooley songs and WWW's Am Em F C G progression has strumpf! Decoration Day, TVA, Ghost to Most, all faves.

Lots of good Whiskeytown songs too, especially on an acoustic. Somebody Remembers the Rose, Factory Girl, Dancing With the Women at the Bar, Lo-Fi Tennessee Mountain Angel, Sweet Carolina...

mike28212

Post by mike28212 »

Since I would fit Scratch's loose definition, I'll chime in here. The first song I learned on piano many years ago was the Star Wars theme. After I got that down, I quit taking lessons.
The first entire song I can remember learning on the guitar was I think She Talks to Angels. It's been so long that I can't be sure.
"I'm zipping through the days at lightning speed."

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Taught myself how to play guitar when I was 15. Never took an actual lesson in my damn life, and it shows.

"Free Fallin'" is the answer to the question. It was my favorite song as a little guy, so I figured it was as good a place as any to start.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Even though I have a guitar now, I can't play it. My fingers are too fat and I get discouraged. When I was in High school and my fingers were skinny, I could play a few songs, the first one that I learned was Down On The Corner by CCR.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Probably "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" (GnR version) or American Girl by Petty.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

One of my good buddies likes to say "all you need is three chords and a haircut". I never got the haircut part but a hack like me can fake a lot with G, C and D....and be a basement virtuoso when you throw in an Am and an Em.

Someday I'd like to find someone to play with, but mostly I just play to keep the mental wolves at bay. Hell, I just made a rhyme. Maybe there's a song there. Or not.
Last edited by 'Scratch on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I had a few years of piano lessons and learned everything in the first four volumes of the Fletcher piano book.

But the first rock song I learned was Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4". I played it for my fourth grade piano recital. The teacher tolerated it but told me the next year that I had to get serious about classical music. I got a new piano teacher instead. He didn't teach me rock stuff but a bunch of pop standards. It was just as good as learning rock songs because I learned a bunch of theory and how to put chord changes to a melody line. By the time I was twelve or thirteen I had learned all he could teach me when it came to pop music. He told me I would have to make the jump to classical or talk to his son who was into a whole lot of improvisational and experimental music. But by this time I had bought my first electric piano and was ready to play with rock bands.

This was 1977 or 78. A year or so after the Skynyrd plane crash. Southern rock was the rage even in NJ. Every band wanted to play "Freebird". I learned that song and a bunch of other southern rock standards and I was invited to every basement jam within three towns. I met a whole lot of great people who I wouldn't have otherwise run into. Many people wouldn't guess that NJ was/is a hotbed for Southern rock. But people will still pack the bars on a Saturday night to dance to Skynyrd, Allman Brothers and Outlaws.

The biggest early influence on my playing was Billy Preston. I bought The Rolling Stones Love You Live when it first came out and learned to play his part, especially the blues numbers on side three.

By 1980 I was into The Clash and The Ramones. As Patterson put it, "I came of age rebelling against the music in my high school parking lot." By 1981 I was playing in original bands. We played CBGB's, The Dirt Club and Maxwells before we graduated from high school.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I took guitar lessons from a lady when I was around 9 or 10. A group of kids would sit in her family room and play together. The first tune we played was Michael Row Your Boat Ashore. I wanted to rock and all we were playing was folk songs like If I Had a Hammer etc. This was the late 70's. Once I tried an electric guitar with distortion and learned barre chords, that was all I needed to know. I quit the lessens and began my life as a mediocre musician.

The first song I learned myself was Bloodstains by Agent Orange. Also I Just Wanna Have Something To Do by The Ramones. My friend and I would trade guitar and drums and take turns singing.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

21 posts in and no one has mentioned "Smoke on the Water"? Someone is fuckin' lying.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:21 posts in and no one has mentioned "Smoke on the Water"? Someone is fuckin' lying.

Played that the first time I picked up a bass, so no lying here, but that doesn't really count.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

I smell a conspiracy as no one has mentioned "Stairway" either...

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I smell a conspiracy as no one has mentioned "Stairway" either...

Stairway is pretty hard for a first song
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:21 posts in and no one has mentioned "Smoke on the Water"? Someone is fuckin' lying.

Most people know the riff. But unless you can play the changes on the verses and chorus, you don't know "Smoke On The Water."

Many people can play the slow part to "Stairway" but are totally lost on the jam part.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:

Most people know the riff. But unless you can play the changes on the verses and chorus, you don't know "Smoke On The Water."

Many people can play the slow part to "Stairway" but are totally lost on the jam part.

Wait. You mean there's more to learning songs than riffs?
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

RevMatt wrote:Many people can play the slow part to "Stairway" but are totally lost on the jam part.

It's so difficult that even Page completely avoids the jam section on this incredibly rare clip from Page & Plant on Japanese television circa 1994: