3DD Artist of the Week 9/27/2010 - Richmond Fontaine

Know of a great band you think we'd like to hear about? Got some music news? Or just want to talk about music in general? Post it here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: 3DD Artist of the Week 9/27/2010 - Richmond Fontaine

Post by Clams »

Gang Green wrote:I should consider myself lucky as I got to see Richmond Fontaine two weeks ago in Seattle at the Sunset Cafe on Ballard Street. The company I work for sent me to Bremerton, Washington for two weeks for work stuff, I'm like, well, I've learned never complain about traveling until you see what bands are playing in the place I'm forced to travel to. Low and behold Richmond Fontaine was playing in Seattle on the Saturday night I was in Puget Sound. I made sure to buy a ticket before I set sail. RF was actually the opening act for a Portland band called the Minus 5's or something like that. After spending an hour and a half on Ballard St. and the surrounding areas (A great area complete with record shops for those who haven't been there), I was finally allowed to enter the Sunset Cafe. I drank a few whiskeys and talked to Willie who was selling his own merch. First, I complained that I had to fly out from PA to see RF and asked him why he never comes to the east coast. Then I told him I was a huge DBT fan, and he said, "well isn't everybody?" Then we had had a lengthy discussion about Patterson's songwriting. Then I said RF had a big following on the DBT website Three Dimes Down, he said, he really doesn't spend much time on the internet, but he appreciated what I was saying, he is an extremely nice person. Then we went though the RF albums sitting on the table, I told him how much I like the Fitzgerald, Post to Wire and We Used to Think the Highway... and the new album, then I pointed at High Country and said that albums messed up (I did have a few whiskeys), he agreed. I bought Winnemucca and had him sign it, and Obliterated by Time which is the bands very early songs re-recorded and which includes a Husker Du cover. I know what it says on Wikipedia, but I wish I asked him who Richmond Fontaine was and what was he like.

It didn't occur to me at the time, but I think this was their last show, or maybe second to last show as they play a festival in July.
Great post, GG.
If you don't run you rust

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Gang Green wrote:RF was actually the opening act for a Portland band called the Minus 5's or something like that.
What did you think of the Minus 5? That band is fronted by Scott McCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows, R.E.M.) and features a revolving lineup that sometimes includes Peter Buck and Mike Mills of R.E.M.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I didn't know much about the Minus 5s going in, but I wish I did. I was focused on RF. I've listened a lot to Young Fresh Fellows, and I didn't know Scott McCaughey was involved with the Baseball Project who I really like. I listened to them as much as I could before the show and, based on initial reaction, they are a skilled pop band. I like the song Remain in Lifeboat. They actually opened their set with a cover of Nowhere Man which was great fun. And, they had a nice tribute to RF since this was among their last shows. Didn't see Peter Buck, I think I would have recognized him.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Gang Green wrote:RF was actually the opening act for a Portland band called the Minus 5's or something like that.
What did you think of the Minus 5? That band is fronted by Scott McCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows, R.E.M.) and features a revolving lineup that sometimes includes Peter Buck and Mike Mills of R.E.M.
They also have an affiliation with Wilco.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

The copy of The Motel Life that I own has an interview with Vlautin at the end of the book and in the interview he said he is a massive Dave Alvin fan. When I read that I immediately saw a common thread in their writing. "Fourth Of July" in particular sounds like it could be a scene from a Vlautin book.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
They also have an affiliation with Wilco.
Loosely and not as frequent if I'm not mistaken. Buck has been doing more stuff on his own in recent years part from his work with McCaughey so he hasn't been with the Minus 5 or the Baseball Project as much. Mills has pretty much taken over his slot in the Baseball Project which makes sense given his love of the sport.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Gang Green wrote:It didn't occur to me at the time, but I think this was their last show, or maybe second to last show as they play a festival in July.
There are certainly three dates in the UK in October, plus a few gaps that they will hopefully fill in. At the Birmingham gig a month ago Willy said there would be a few more in Europe after the London show (21 October) but I think these will be the last dates.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Clams

Post by Clams »

Resurrecting one of Smitty's old threads (*sigh*). A new record from Willy Vlautin's Delines is coming later this week. Sounds like The Sea Drift will be pretty similar 2019's The Imperial.

https://glidemagazine.com/270156/the-de ... 8fUR83gFMQ
If you don't run you rust