Zac Brown Band Recorded Dress Blues

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

Re: Zac Brown Band Recorded Dress Blues

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm really happy that this is happening for Jason. I don't think any of us are surprised that it has.

I too thought Outfit would be the song that was covered first.

I really love Dress Blues and am kind of glad it ended up being the song.

I'll offer up my two cents on the changing of the "Hollywood war" line.

First of all, as a veteran of that war, that line has always bothered me.

I don't see why it's much of a problem that Zac brown changed that lyric. If he's like me, he likes everything else about the song so I don't see anything wrong with that.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

TrickyNick

Post by TrickyNick »

I prefer the original Mickey Rooney version.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:I'll offer up my two cents on the changing of the "Hollywood war" line.

I hear you, brother. It wasn't Hollywood for you. If that line was put in your mouth, I'd be pissed off for you.

But for us watching along at home like Jason's narrator, and I think to many of those who planned it (because stardom doesn't happen on accident), Hollywood is exactly what it was.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I always took the "Hollywood War" line to mean that Jason was saying that war was started just to boost someone's public image. Not that it was fake for the people involved, which I think in the context of the song seems pretty clear.

The whole idea that supporting the troops is not the same thing as supporting the war itself and all that.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

TrickyNick wrote:I prefer the original Mickey Rooney version.

I didn't even know that was real until a few days ago. Thank God he found the inspiration to re-write it.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

I agree with John and Iowan.

I hear "Hollywood war" to mean good men like Cole were sent off to die for votes and so billions in contracts could be spread around. I don't hear any disrespect to those involved or the circumstances they faced.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Beebs wrote:I agree with John and Iowan.

I hear "Hollywood war" to mean good men like Cole were sent off to die for votes and so billions in contracts could be spread around. I don't hear any disrespect to those involved or the circumstances they faced.

Yes. Exactly this.

It's in no way a criticism of the men who were shipped off.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I don't think anybody means it this way, including Jason, but all that and "Hollywood war" just sounds a little too much like, "all of your efforts, everything you and brothers endured, everything some of them are still living with, yeah it was over something that doesn't matter." That's why I don't like it. I realize, and always have, what Jason is trying to say, but I just don't like the way it sounds. I still love the song though and am a big fan of Jason's.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I'll offer up my two cents on the changing of the "Hollywood war" line.

I hear you, brother. It wasn't Hollywood for you. If that line was put in your mouth, I'd be pissed off for you.

But for us watching along at home like Jason's narrator, and I think to many of those who planned it (because stardom doesn't happen on accident), Hollywood is exactly what it was.

I appreciate it John A.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Beebs wrote:I agree with John and Iowan.

Thanks bud.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

I have always thought Hollywood war was a reference to the way war is now all too often a prime time television event.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Official new ZBB track listing...

JEKYLL + HYDE TRACKLIST
1. Beautiful Drug
2. Loving You Easy
3. Remedy
4. Homegrown
5. Mango Tree (feat. Sara Bareilles)
6. Heavy Is the Head (feat. Chris Cornell)
7. Bittersweet
8. Castaway
9. Tomorrow Never Comes
10. One Day
11. Dress Blues
12. Young and Wild
13. Junkyard
14. I'll Be Your Man (Song for a Daughter)
15. Wildfire
16. Tomorrow Never Comes (Acoustic Version)

SouthernFriedCanuck

Post by SouthernFriedCanuck »

Zac Brown Band is the musical guest on SNL tonight. Will he play it?
"It's fucking great to be alive!"

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

He didn't play Dress Blues, but he did play 1) the most generic roots-pop song I've ever heard, 2) the most generic butt rock/hillbilly metal song I've ever heard, which for some reason featured Soundgarden's Chris Cornell on guitar and vocals.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Duke Silver wrote:2) the most generic butt rock/hillbilly metal song I've ever heard, which for some reason featured Soundgarden's Chris Cornell on guitar and vocals.

Maybe I'm totally off the mark here but I find this sort of thing to be the aural equivalent of a 12 year old wearing an AC/DC or Ramones t-shirt. Is it just posturing or is there really some sort of influence or knowledge of the artist there? I guess in Zac's case he may have grown up on Soundgarden in the 90's but it still seems out of place for someone who's largely known as a country artist. It worked for Johnny Cash with "Rusty Cage" but that's an entirely different thing. Or is it?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:2) the most generic butt rock/hillbilly metal song I've ever heard, which for some reason featured Soundgarden's Chris Cornell on guitar and vocals.
Maybe I'm totally off the mark here but I find this sort of thing to be the aural equivalent of a 12 year old wearing an AC/DC or Ramones t-shirt. Is it just posturing or is there really some sort of influence or knowledge of the artist there? I guess in Zac's case he may have grown up on Soundgarden in the 90's but it still seems out of place for someone who's largely known as a country artist. It worked for Johnny Cash with "Rusty Cage" but that's an entirely different thing. Or is it?
Cornell is a guest performer on the studio version so that's probably why he helped them with it on SNL.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Probably a combination of a) like you said, growing up in the 90s ZB was probably a SG fan, and b) these days, inviting an "elder statesman" like Cornell (or Grohl, or whoever) to play guest star is about the safest possible way to buy yourself some "rock" street cred. Like how dying her hair made Pink a punk rocker, or strapping on an acoustic guitar makes an American Idol contestant somehow more credible. Meaningless accessories.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Duke Silver wrote:Meaningless accessories.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

tinnitus photography wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:Meaningless accessories.

:lol: Is that Madonna? She was another example I was thinking of.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Duke Silver wrote:He didn't play Dress Blues, but he did play 1) the most generic roots-pop song I've ever heard, 2) the most generic butt rock/hillbilly metal song I've ever heard, which for some reason featured Soundgarden's Chris Cornell on guitar and vocals.
I have typically not been able to stand Zac Brown band (Chicken-Fried, despite my wife's love of the song, is on an all time worst song list in my opinion), but I actually like the generic butt rock/hillbilly metal song. Probably because Chris Cornell (who is a god) is singing on it. The first single off of the album wasn't too bad either (I don't know the title, Homegrown maybe?).

I still don't like Brown's voice though, and the fiddle version of Taps he added into Dress Blues is on a Kid Rock level of cheesy.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

lets just say it... ZBB sucks the big one haha!!!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'm not a fan but at least he's been part of the voice of opposition in regards to "bro country". He also recorded "Dress Blues". Can't say I have a problem with either of those two things.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'm not a fan but at least he's been part of the voice of opposition in regards to "bro country". He also recorded "Dress Blues". Can't say I have a problem with either of those two things.
Yeah I agree. I used to like him pretty well. Back when when he just played around Athens and other parts of Georgia and nobody really knew who he was outside of Georgia I had so e pretty enjoyable times at his shows. But he played a lot of covers back then and just a little original material. He covered stuff that pretty much everybody here likes and he sounded good doing it. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't care for his songs, but he does have talent and good taste in music when it comes to what he likes to listen to.