The Shonna Tucker Miscellany Thread

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smitty

Re: The Shonna Tucker Miscellany Thread

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:Her solo stuff is a lot better than what she did with the Truckers in my opinion.

I haven't heard anything close to "Purgatory Line", "You Got Another" or "I Told You So". "Jimmy" & "Family Dinner" both sound amazing musically, which will happen if you have as good a band as she has (Bo Bedingfield, Neff, Clay Leverett and a new to me keyboarder named Neil Golden, who has impressed me on "Jimmy") but the lyrics seem to be suffering from "I'm Sorry Huston" syndrome; they sound good but on closer listen are 0% interesting. Based on the live recordings, the other songs seem to focus on dissing Patterson, so that's another turn off.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:Her solo stuff is a lot better than what she did with the Truckers in my opinion.

I haven't heard anything close to "Purgatory Line", "You Got Another" or "I Told You So". "Jimmy" & "Family Dinner" both sound amazing musically, which will happen if you have as good a band as she has (Bo Bedingfield, Neff, Clay Leverett and a new to me keyboarder named Neil Golden, who has impressed me on "Jimmy") but the lyrics seem to be suffering from "I'm Sorry Huston" syndrome; they sound good but on closer listen are 0% interesting. Based on the live recordings, the other songs seem to focus on dissing Patterson, so that's another turn off.

Yeah, I like it. I didn't care for any of her Trucker songs except for Houston so...

As for her dissing Patterson, I thought the lyrics to the Hat song were pretty funny myself.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Could be an entire album about jackasses and a guy she thinks is a jackass ;)

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I enjoyed the live recordings and think the music is interesting. The "Since Jimmy Came" seems to be about her family of donkeys, how the daddy donkey ain't getting none since the baby donkey came.

The Patterson related songs might work as long as they aren't bitter or pissy. No one wants to be in the middle of somebody else's fight. But if she takes a humorous or absurdist approach those songs could work for me. Maybe something about Patterson's penchant for turning everything into a song no matter how mundane.

Shonna is never going to write the sort of epics that Cooley, Hood and Isbell come up with. But with this band she doesn't have to. The songs seem to be workman like, 80's Velvets influenced left of the dial sort of indie fare which is very appropriate for an Athens band. Her voice is very idiosyncratic and that works for me. I was hoping for something more sublime, maybe very atmospheric sort of Cowboy Junkies songs featuring Neff on pedal steel. But an artist has to go with whatever songs the muse delivers.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:Could be an entire album about jackasses and a guy she thinks is a jackass ;)

Yep. Maybe.

Either way is fine with me. I'm not related to anyone in the band and I don't know any of them so I guess I just never take any of this kind of thing personally.

A slew of Patterson diss songs would get pretty dull. But that particular one makes me laugh. Like I said, I don't know any of them so to me there's no reason for me to have any feelings one way or the other very much about their personal squabbles with each other.

And I can see how Patterson could be a little...tough to deal with at times. That's not hard for me to believe at all.

I think the new songs are better. I don't actively dislike her Trucker songs, I just never thought many of them were all that great.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't take it personally, but considering Shonna probably wouldn't be even be in the position she is without the opportunity of being in DBT, I find it hard to listen to her slamming him.

Maybe I am a lil biased, I dunno.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:I don't take it personally, but considering Shonna probably wouldn't be even be in the position she is without the opportunity of being in DBT, I find it hard to listen to her slamming him.

Not necessarily.

She definitely did get a heck of an opportunity with the Truckers. That's for sure. On the other hand, they benefitted from having her in the band so...

And I look at it from the standpoint of never assuming I know all that much. I wasn't on tour with them or in the studio with them so for all I know she had good reason to feel that way.

I guess I see both sides of it and don't have a dog in the fight so I don't really care.

I like them both. Their music that is. I have no idea about them as people.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

If The Truckers are a college footbal team Patterson Hood is Bear Bryant. Cooley and EZ Beat are the offensive and defensive coordinators, both long tenured and not going anywhere. Jason Isbell is a former coordinator, the young coach who moved onto another program where he is now an up and coming head coach in bigtime college football. The fans would love it if he was still a coordinator but know deep down that he was always destined to leave The Tide to be a head coach someplace like Auburn or Tennessee. Shonna Tucker? She is a former position coach who decided to run her own program at a little Division 3 school in Georgia. This is her first season but the preliminary reports are that she's doing fine. 3DD? We are the boosters, appreciated and tolerated so long as we don't get in the way or try and tell the head coach how to run his program.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

good thing you didn't equate patterson with paterno and that bunch 8-)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:good thing you didn't equate patterson with paterno and that bunch 8-)

:lol:

As boosters, do we get to go to the after parties at the strip club and do some blow?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:good thing you didn't equate patterson with paterno and that bunch 8-)

You can only equate Patterson with The Bear.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:

:lol:

As boosters, do we get to go to the after parties at the strip club and do some blow?

As boosters, we OWN the strip clubs!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote:

Hmmmm...are we cross referencing this thread to the Athens thread?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:
RevMatt wrote:

Hmmmm...are we cross referencing this thread to the Athens thread?

Haven't been following the Athens thread. Have to get up to speed.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Okay, up to speed. You on the Athens thread you guys diverted to discussing "Bears" as in burly gay guys who hunt, fish, ride motorcycles and listen to cool music. I think Big Tom could convince the chief bear to make Patterson an honorary bear and Patterson is cool enough to accept the honor.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

As a college football junkie I love this comparison.

I am of course I die hard Georgia Bulldawg and as such am realy glad that Athens is the adopted home town of the Truckers.

I saw in the Athens primer where somebody was talking about the Gameday Condos right there on West Broad Street and made some gripe about "It's good if you can stand all the Georgia Bulldawg stuff everywhere." :roll: It's Athens. It's called GAMEDAY condos.

The only thing I love more than good music is hunting and my college football.

This thread is great. I'm going to live here. :D

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:
"It's good if you can stand all the Georgia Bulldawg stuff everywhere." :roll: It's Athens. It's called GAMEDAY condos.

I hear ya, Cole, and you're absolutely right of course, but even so, I dunno. The one unit i've seen has a color scheme right out of, oh, a nazi bordello or something :lol:

Mr. Fantasy

Post by Mr. Fantasy »

I'm confused is shonna a bear or what? is it due to "miscellany"?

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Cole Younger wrote:I saw in the Athens primer where somebody was talking about the Gameday Condos right there on West Broad Street and made some gripe about "It's good if you can stand all the Georgia Bulldawg stuff everywhere." :roll: It's Athens. It's called GAMEDAY condos.

Although I'm a gator fan, Athens is my favorite SEC town. Our first trip there was for a game and the Gators kicked ass (sorry Jimmy) So in my
book the Gators own Athens. This years Fla/Ga game has no bearing as Jax is really part of south Ga. And of course we all know why the St. Johns
river flows north. :P
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

RevMatt wrote:Okay, up to speed. You on the Athens thread you guys diverted to discussing "Bears" as in burly gay guys who hunt, fish, ride motorcycles and listen to cool music. I think Big Tom could convince the chief bear to make Patterson an honorary bear and Patterson is cool enough to accept the honor.

Wait as sec....Tom's not the chief bear?
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Swamp wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I saw in the Athens primer where somebody was talking about the Gameday Condos right there on West Broad Street and made some gripe about "It's good if you can stand all the Georgia Bulldawg stuff everywhere." :roll: It's Athens. It's called GAMEDAY condos.

Although I'm a gator fan, Athens is my favorite SEC town. Our first trip there was for a game and the Gators kicked ass (sorry Jimmy) So in my
book the Gators own Athens. This years Fla/Ga game has no bearing as Jax is really part of south Ga. And of course we all know why the St. Johns
river flows north. :P

Jacksonville aint South GA by a long shot. Waaaaaaaaaaay too many yankees to even resemble us. :D

As for your assertation that the swamp lizzards own Athens, a pox upon your house Swamp. A pox. ;)

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Cole Younger wrote:
Smitty wrote:I don't take it personally, but considering Shonna probably wouldn't be even be in the position she is without the opportunity of being in DBT, I find it hard to listen to her slamming him.

Not necessarily.

She definitely did get a heck of an opportunity with the Truckers. That's for sure. On the other hand, they benefitted from having her in the band so...

And I look at it from the standpoint of never assuming I know all that much. I wasn't on tour with them or in the studio with them so for all I know she had good reason to feel that way.

I guess I see both sides of it and don't have a dog in the fight so I don't really care.

I like them both. Their music that is. I have no idea about them as people.

Shonna was an okay bassist. I'm not quite sure what she significantly brought to the band though positively, which wasn't significantly outweighed by the negatives (leaving the JI stuff completely aside).. Lets not paint her like she's Victor Wooten or something. The sets clearly didn't flow as well with the incorporation of her songs beginning in '07, although my bladder felt much more comfortable post '07. Homefield Advantage and Dancing Rickey were perfect opportunities for a bathroom break.
Nice gal when I had the pleasure of meeting her a few times. And I wish her the best moving forward. But I judge Drive By Truckers on their music. Maybe her solo career will allow her to create her very own sound that she is proud. It would likely require working on her pitch and learning to get more comfortable with the microphone.

I'm personally welcoming the change of seeing Matt Patton in Athens. He sounds great from the shows I have heard. The setlists have less fat and more rock.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I disagree that her playing was just "ok". Listen to the bass lines on Three Dimes Down, Goodbye, Goode's Field Road, Used To Be a Cop.....pretty great.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Zip City wrote:I disagree that her playing was just "ok". Listen to the bass lines on Three Dimes Down, Goodbye, Goode's Field Road, Used To Be a Cop.....pretty great.

Prominent in the mix, but ordinary. :D

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:I disagree that her playing was just "ok". Listen to the bass lines on Three Dimes Down, Goodbye, Goode's Field Road, Used To Be a Cop.....pretty great.

I'm with you on this Zip. She's well above ordinary as a bassist. In talking with David Barbe at homecoming last year he spoke about not even attempting to play her bassline on Used to be a Cop because it was so unique to her style.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I'm with you on this Zip. She's well above ordinary as a bassist. In talking with David Barbe at homecoming last year he spoke about not even attempting to play her bassline on Used to be a Cop because it was so unique to her style.

No doubt it. The smile in my post supported Zip's point.

I've never really liked the songs that she sings and I'm bitter about other shit about her as well. No need to expand on that.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:

I'm with Zip and TC. Her style brough a certain soul to the music that definitely fit very well with the band. No knock on Barbe, who is obviuosly a fantastic musician, producer, all around all star, but I thought Shonna's bass style worked far better in DBT than his.

I can see the argument that perhaps her writing isn't on level with Cooley/Hood/Isbell, but how many people out there really are? That being said, I like almost everything she's written, and I absolutely love a handful of them too.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

Man, she's really had an impact on this band over the years, eh?

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Haven't seen it mentioned here yet:

http://www.40watt.com/event/191311-radiolucent-athens/

Shonna will be opening for Radiolucent at The 40 Watt on New Year's Eve. Drop by, have a toast!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Is there going to be stream of that undoubtedly legendary Eye Candy show tonight? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: