Stolen Van & Gear!

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jdwolf

Stolen Van & Gear!

Post by jdwolf »

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit got their gear stolen today in Dallas. If you live in the DFW area be on the look out for a 2006 e350 white 15 passenger van hauling a Wells Cargo black single axle trailer. The truck has an Alabama tag and the trailer has a Texas tag. There's an awesome sticker of a wolf on the side van window. Calexico air freshener and lovely hula gal on dash. The driver's side of the Van has the window busted out (thanks to the thieves). There is a KING OF THE ROAD PLATE on the front bumper and derogatory writing in the dirt on the back window (the word hoochie is mentioned).

Watch for stolen musical equipment: 1970 P Bass- Duesenberg Goldtop- Sommatone Amp- Ampeg V4B- Nord Electro- Red Gretsch drums- Upright bass- Baxendale acoustic
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

brstigerfan

Re: Stolen Van & Gear!

Post by brstigerfan »

they sure do have bad luck with this kind of stuff. Same thing happened a few years ago.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Everyone should check the Craigslist ads in your area. If these people are somewhat sophisticated criminals they won't post the gear in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area but someplace else. One thing to look for is an asking price that is significantly less than what the items normally sell for. For example, a used Nord II 73 keyboard goes anywhere between $800 and $1000. If you see one on Craigslist for $300 - $400 be suspicious enough to inquire if the seller also has an amp to go with it. If he says he has a Roland KC550 notify Jason's organization. While the Dallas PD probably has a pawn unit it is not likely they will investigate if the items show up on a Craigslist somewhere else.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

I feel awful for Jason and his band. I am curious, Rev, and I am figuring you would know: do musicians typically insure their equipment?
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

colodogdoc wrote:I feel awful for Jason and his band. I am curious, Rev, and I am figuring you would know: do musicians typically insure their equipment?

There are two ways to insure your equipment. The first and most common is through a standard home owners or renters insurance policy. This is how most musicians insure their personal guitars and amplifiers if they do so at all. Most of these policies would pay out if a guitar is stolen from a dressing room or the trunk of your car. The second way would be for a band, as an incorporated business, to take out a policy covering their gear. This will cover all of the gear a band normally tours with. However, if a musician decides to bring a different guitar than he normally uses, it might not be covered under the band policy and any claim would have to be made through his homeowners or renters insurance.

My tribute band, Southern Steel, has a policy for our gear which includes a huge p.a. system and a tour bus. (We don't "need" the tour bus but we have it because pulling up to a biker run in a tour bus is a whole lot more badass than coming separately in our minivans.) However, our personal equipment is not covered under this policy. I do not have my gear insured because my main ax is a 22 year old Kurzweil keyboard that is probably only worth around $100. (I play it because the action on the keys is better than anything I've ever played.) Renters insurance policies usually have a deductable and if my rig were to be stolen, the overall value is probably way less than the deductable. However, if I were to purchase a $2,300 Nord Electro 3 I would make damn sure that it was insured.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

zoid

Post by zoid »

Jimbo Hart
Our van/trailer has been found!!!!! The trailer is still locked, even....praying all of our gear/instruments are still inside!!!!!

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

Just was coming to post that. That's amazingly good and rare news in these cases. Happy for Isbell and band.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

That is so great that they found everything,,, :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Jason just Twitter'ed that the trailer was empty. All their stuff gone. Man that sucks.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

fucking sucks. thieves suck.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Thats so fucked up. It's ok karma will fuck those assholes who did it

mhc

Post by mhc »

Sad thing is, it's happened twice to the band in the last 3.5 years.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

It just sicken`s me to know that there are folk`s out there like that...
and yeah I to believe in Karma so they better watch their back.

They may have taken all their instrument`s but they can never ever
take away their music... 8-)
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Clams

Post by Clams »

RevMatt wrote:
colodogdoc wrote:I feel awful for Jason and his band. I am curious, Rev, and I am figuring you would know: do musicians typically insure their equipment?

There are two ways to insure your equipment. The first and most common is through a standard home owners or renters insurance policy. This is how most musicians insure their personal guitars and amplifiers if they do so at all. Most of these policies would pay out if a guitar is stolen from a dressing room or the trunk of your car. The second way would be for a band, as an incorporated business, to take out a policy covering their gear. This will cover all of the gear a band normally tours with. However, if a musician decides to bring a different guitar than he normally uses, it might not be covered under the band policy and any claim would have to be made through his homeowners or renters insurance.

My tribute band, Southern Steel, has a policy for our gear which includes a huge p.a. system and a tour bus. (We don't "need" the tour bus but we have it because pulling up to a biker run in a tour bus is a whole lot more badass than coming separately in our minivans.) However, our personal equipment is not covered under this policy. I do not have my gear insured because my main ax is a 22 year old Kurzweil keyboard that is probably only worth around $100. (I play it because the action on the keys is better than anything I've ever played.) Renters insurance policies usually have a deductable and if my rig were to be stolen, the overall value is probably way less than the deductable. However, if I were to purchase a $2,300 Nord Electro 3 I would make damn sure that it was insured.

I was wondering the same thing as Colodogdoc. I find it hard to believe that a group of professional, touring musicians don't have their gear insured.
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jason Tweeted yesterday that, although they appreciate the offers, they will not accept money or replacement equipment from fans. I'm guessing they were insured for at least some of it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

This story is now being reported by Rolling Stone. Not that that's any sort of big deal in and of itself but perhaps now it will reach even more people that could potentially help track down the stolen gear.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit's Equipment Stolen in Dallas

tweedrules

Post by tweedrules »

Shitty way to make it to rolling stone.

mhc

Post by mhc »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Jason Tweeted yesterday that, although they appreciate the offers, they will not accept money or replacement equipment from fans. I'm guessing they were insured for at least some of it.

I'm sure. I spoke with Jason in 2008 soon after his gear was stolen then when he and Browan came to Whitesburg and he said the gear was insured.
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams