Jason @ Whitewater Center in Charlotte

Discuss Jason Isbell, Shonna Tucker, John Neff

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rawkshow

Jason @ Whitewater Center in Charlotte

Post by rawkshow »

Anyone going? It's a free show at the Whitewater center (gotta pay for parking tho)....bands start at 4pm & fireworks afterwards...

http://usnwc.org/2011/05/coca-cola-4th- ... -festival/
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

lendmeflight

Re: Jason @ Whitewater Center in Charlotte

Post by lendmeflight »

I am going. I hope there are a lot of hardcore Isbell fans. I have never been to a show at the white water center so I don't know what to expect. I hope Jason's typical rowdy crowd shows up.

lendmeflight

Post by lendmeflight »

Wow, this isn't getting the response that I thought it would. I hope someone shows up for this show.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

yea, but charlotte hasn't been great to jason :( his last show at the visulite wasn't very well attended, can't figure out why....this will be a good chance for him to be seen by a wider variety of people tho, hopefully good exposure for him! i've never been to the whitewhiter center either so gonna be interesting.

lendmeflight

Post by lendmeflight »

Yeah this show was great. I was right up front. It was kinda funny because this girl wanted to hear streetlights and when he left without playing it she went after them trying to get streetlights for an encore. She was a hoot.

I thought the show was awesome and different from his other ones. We got Dank/manual and like a hurricane. I cannot complain at all and I can't wait for the show in Columbia in a couple weeks.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last November, I brought my good friend Justin along when JI's Paste tour came through Philly. Was a good show and he liked it. Fast forward to last week, Justin and his family left town for a week or two to see family in Charlotte and attend a family bar mitzvah. Well apparently the bar mitzvah was last night at the Whitewater Center(!). He texted me at about 8:30 that he heard music coming from outside, wandered out and JI & the 400 Unit were "right there." He had no idea they were gong to be there. Was texting me all night, sending pics, calling me, etc. He was right up front, probably wearing a tie (lol) and loving it. I don't think he went back inside. Randomly catching a JI show while attending an out of town bar mitzvah for some kid on your spouse's side of the family - we should all be so lucky! Pretty wild.
If you don't run you rust

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

that was a great show! the stage was outside, right next to the manmade river, so the band kept turning around & watching people on the rafts. lots of people around cuz they were having fireworks at dusk & alot of people who came up front & were watching jason. for some reason they didn't have a merch guy for the show which i think sucks for them, cuz they def would've sold alot of their cd's to people seeing them for 1st time. funniest part of the show was where jason said that y'all are so quiet and listening to me...i have shows where people pay like $15 or $18 bucks to see me & then just talk & yell "play outfit" and when i tell them i already played it, they just say "play outfit again" :D

Go it alone
Magician
Heart on a string
??? (dunno the song, the drummer sang it)
Outfit
Tour of duty
Psycho killer
Codeine
Alabama Pines
Decoration day
Dress blues

There was a set break for fireworks

Try/No quarter
Lika a Hurricane
Danko/Manuel
Never Gonna Change/Stone Free

lendmeflight

Post by lendmeflight »

I am glad you made it out Rawkshow. The song that the drummer sang was an old New Orleans song called "Hey Pocky way". It's been recorded by the Neville Brothers and The Funky Meters and a bunch of other bands. I think they weren't allowed to sell Merch at the show. Coke was paying for the music so they probably paid the bands enough to compensate for it. At least If I were Jason's manager I would have negotiated for that. I am sure they lost money not selling merchandise. A lot of people there seem to be converted. There were only a few people up front when he first started playing but during his second set it was packed.

Tonight at Whitewater is Langhorne Slim, who has opened for the truckers before, and tomorrow is Anders Osbourne. Anders will kill it.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

lendmeflight wrote:I am glad you made it out Rawkshow. The song that the drummer sang was an old New Orleans song called "Hey Pocky way". It's been recorded by the Neville Brothers and The Funky Meters and a bunch of other bands. I think they weren't allowed to sell Merch at the show. Coke was paying for the music so they probably paid the bands enough to compensate for it. At least If I were Jason's manager I would have negotiated for that. I am sure they lost money not selling merchandise. A lot of people there seem to be converted. There were only a few people up front when he first started playing but during his second set it was packed.

Tonight at Whitewater is Langhorne Slim, who has opened for the truckers before, and tomorrow is Anders Osbourne. Anders will kill it.

Yea, i think he might have blown some minds, alot of people have told me they usually have cover bands out there playing....tho i know they did have trampled by turtles & then this whole weekend so maybe that's changing now. i didn't make it out last night, thinking about going tonight & checking anders tho

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I really enjoyed this show, my third seeing the band. I was a little worried when I showed up. There were a lot of people there, but didn't seem to be very many fans at all. I loved the venue though, just gorgeous. It seemed the band really had fun at least partially because of the setting. Excellent show overall and I think many there were very impressed. They are such a tight band. I was so glad they played Like A Hurricane. I'd heard the band's version in recordings, but hadn't heard it live. Loved it! I talked briefly with Jimbo, Browan, and Jason before the show, I enjoyed meeting them. I felt a little weird though, I'm 38 and I felt like a freakin' 13 year old girl talking to Jason lol.

I'm heading to Asheville at the end of the month to see the band again. If they're playing within 2 hours, I'm going to see them. Luckily they seem to play in and around my area quite often.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

lendmeflight

Post by lendmeflight »

They are playing in Columbia SC on July 17th. You should try and make it. I am going to that show for sure.

I am also going to the Asheville show because it's in my hometown and it's free. I will visit my family and see the show just like I did for the Truckers gigs a couple weeks back.

That will be an odd show too because he is playing on an outdoor stage on Coxe Ave.