DBT Tracks Week 12 -- "I'm Sorry Huston"

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Slipkid42

Re: DBT Tracks Week 12 -- "I'm Sorry Huston"

Post by Slipkid42 »

No I didn't think that was good enough to post twice
just geezin'
sorry about that
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't listen to it much on record, but I bet "Homefield Advantage" kills live.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Smitty wrote:I don't listen to it much on record, but I bet "Homefield Advantage" kills live.

Yep, I've heard them kill it. Was gonna say that b4 but decided it was too confusing after saying that Shonna's songs often stop the show's momentum. What the hell, consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, right?
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Iowan wrote:I never was (and still aren't) wild about her stuff on BTCD, but I love Shonna's songs on TBTD.

That's all I got here.

personal ranking:

1. You've Got Another
2. Purgatory Line
3. I'm Sorry Huston
4. It's Gonna Be (I Told You So)
5. Homefield Advantage

Shonna didn't write it, but I'd choose to hear Where's Eddie ahead of those 5.
If you don't run you rust

Flea

Post by Flea »

I know this is somewhat off-subject, but I really wanna see Shonna and Cooley trade vocals on the old Johnny Cash song Jackson.
Now it's dark.

meanjoegreen

Post by meanjoegreen »

Clams wrote:Shonna's stated in interviews that the song is based on a real life encounter where some old man knocked on her door looking for a horse (though the song is ripe for interpretation about a guy looking for drugs). I like how it's understated and allows you to create your own images of the old man and the encounter in your head. I think it fits the mood of BTCD perfectly. Thumbs up for Huston.

Agreed! - I play the same story line in my head everytime i hear this song. Its kinda wierd but I like it. X2 for me.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I just heard this song on the ipod while going for a run and - apart from the lyrics - I was struck by the subtle keyboards and guitars that play throughout the song. Great work.
If you don't run you rust

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:I don't listen to it much on record, but I bet "Homefield Advantage" kills live.

I'd go so far as to say I don't care for the studio version, but live, yes, it's a killer.

Smitty wrote:She has a tendency to get too cute in her other BTCD songs ("If Jesus walked on water, where'd he get them shoes" :roll: , all of "Home Field Advantage")

Whereas that line about walking on the water kills me dead every time I hear it.

Flea wrote:I know this is somewhat off-subject, but I really wanna see Shonna and Cooley trade vocals on the old Johnny Cash song Jackson.

Would be wonderful, but who I really wish had covered it was X.

Slipkid42 wrote:I'm Sorry Huston (whatever it's about) tugs at the heartstrings. Songs like that aren't all that common.

Yep. The music does that to me, and the lyric, that I think is about somebody claiming to be looking for a horse, but really looking for a lost love. Not the narrator, someone she knows.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Duke Silver wrote: in my opinion, her songs are what side projects and solo albums are for. There's just so much good music out there and so little time, I'm not interested in hearing/watching her go through her growing pains as a songwriter, at least not in the context of DBT albums and (especially) shows, where she's taking time away from songwriters/performers who are probably 500 songs ahead of her in their development.

This is almost EXACTLY how I feel. I'd buy a Shonna solo album on release date, whether or not she was backed up by DBT. But even if you just look at the lyric sheet - her songs next to Pat and Cooley's - it's just....embarrassing. To be fair, that's some very tough company to be in. For the record, I think "I'm Sorry Huston" and "Dancing Rickey" are pretty awesome songs. But her songs will always seem superfluous and unnecessary in the context of a DBT album, at least until she starts writing songs that don't sound as if the lyrics were improvised on the spot.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

jimmyjack wrote:
Duke Silver wrote: in my opinion, her songs are what side projects and solo albums are for. There's just so much good music out there and so little time, I'm not interested in hearing/watching her go through her growing pains as a songwriter, at least not in the context of DBT albums and (especially) shows, where she's taking time away from songwriters/performers who are probably 500 songs ahead of her in their development.

This is almost EXACTLY how I feel. I'd buy a Shonna solo album on release date, whether or not she was backed up by DBT. But even if you just look at the lyric sheet - her songs next to Pat and Cooley's - it's just....embarrassing. To be fair, that's some very tough company to be in. For the record, I think "I'm Sorry Huston" and "Dancing Rickey" are pretty awesome songs. But her songs will always seem superfluous and unnecessary in the context of a DBT album, at least until she starts writing songs that don't sound as if the lyrics were improvised on the spot.

The more I hear Dancing Rickey, the more I like the lyrics. At first I thought they were incredibly awkward lyrics set to a really catchy melody, but the more I think about the more I see them as subtle and clever.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

She makes kind of a "hissing" or "raking" type sound on the bass strings at the beginning of the song played live which sounds cool. Sounds like she is playing with a pick.

I didn't like Houston until I heard it live. Still not my favorite but it moved up after seeing her perform it live in a small club with 100+ people there (Tallahassee on a Sunday night, Nov. 2, 2008).

I tend to agree with the solo album idea but that has not really worked out well for DBT (JI's 1st solo took a loooong time to come out and was part of the reason he developed a bad attitude and was kicked out; same for Patterson except he did not leave the band). Look at Kiss - did not work out well for them either (LOL).

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

bump
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts