Chicago 11/13 & 11/14

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Re: Chicago 11/13 & 11/14

Post by CooleyGirl »

Erdlivz wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:Where are all you out-of-towners staying for the shows? We're driving up from South Bend and booking a hotel today. Never been to this venue.
Erdz, we are staying downtown on Saturday night so that we don't have to worry about driving or Metra training, so we don't have to be in a rush after the show. Thacker was eyeing down a Holiday Inn a couple of miles away. We haven't booked yet. If you see something that looks feasible, let me know and we will book there. Some people are flopping at friends houses, but Thacker, myself, and others are going to book a hotel room. If not, by cab I believe the Pink line runs right by the venue.

For pregame I like the idea of Honky Tonk BBQ pre-show.

Erdz,on second thought could we swap roomies. Could we trade Thacker and a bottle of Makers for Mrs. Erdz crashing in our room instead? Strictly platonic of course. I could at least get some sleep that way.
:lol: Mrs. Erds is being a rock show trooper this go-around. We have a little Erds coming next May. I'm not sure how long she'll last but she's feeling good and wants to go both nights. We'll be low-key during the day but up for that pre-game plan for sure. Litte E needs some barbecue.
Congrats!

A bunch of us are staying at the Chicago South Loop Hotel. http://www.chicagosouthloophotel.com/

This is going to be one hell of a weekend. Fri is Lorna R's 50th DBT show and it's also Uncle Rickey's birthday. Can't wait to see all of you!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Clams

Post by Clams »

Cubfan06 wrote: Say hello to Beth on Friday night when you see her. She is bringing a portable breast pump to the almighty Rock Show.
:shock:
If you don't run you rust

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Clams wrote:
Cubfan06 wrote: Say hello to Beth on Friday night when you see her. She is bringing a portable breast pump to the almighty Rock Show.
:shock:
Yeah, that is dedication. Hope that Thalia Hall's bathroom facilities are clean.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I just made my hotel reservation by calling the Line of Price and got a fairly nice room in the South Loop area Friday night by bidding just under a hundred for a four-star hotel. Anyone doing last minute hotels might consider doing something similar. I have a hunch I might've gotten the Chicago South Loop, which sounds like the place to be, a little cheaper, and those deep deep tubs sounded awful nice, but this is what I ended up with. I don't suppose Thalia Hall has a luggage area in their coat check room, so I'll be talking the Hyatt into hanging onto my baggage for me. ;-)

I'm going to spend my days at the museums mostly. If anyone has a hankering for some high culture, the Art Institute has gone up to a holy fuck twenty-five dollars! admission and has two particularly tasty looking special exhibitions up: Degas: At the Track, On the Stage and "There Is Hardly a Book That Has Not Seen Hard Use": Books for Working Artists (that one's Friday only, so I think that determines the day I'll hit the Art Institute). I used to know the good places to hit on a walking tour--the Chagall mosaic at a bus stop, the big Picasso statue, and the Trib building is all I really remember now, and I'd have to look one of those up to find it--and if the weather is no more than normally shitty, I'll probably do a bit of that. I'm still undecided on what to do on Saturday. Sleep late, I'm sure, and look for a great breakfast place. I see both Leo's Lunch and the Busy Bee have been shut down, undoubtedly by PROGRESS!, by which I mean cultural destruction, but surely there's something new on offer.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Can anyone tell me which of the following park & ride spots linked below is best if I am staying in Hickory Hills and want to take the train to Chicago to meet up with fellow 3dd folks? I will have a rental car but parking near the venue seems difficult.

Also…how late do the trains run? Will I have trouble getting back to the rental car after the shows?

http://www.transitchicago.com/parking/
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

chitowntrucker

Post by chitowntrucker »

To be honest none of those park and rides are terribly close to Hickory Hills.
The Orange line stop at Midway is probably best though.
But honestly if you plan on driving at all that night (IE not drinking heavily) driving to the venue will save you tons of time.
Valet will cost what the park and ride and round trip train fare would.

Bill in CT wrote:Can anyone tell me which of the following park & ride spots linked below is best if I am staying in Hickory Hills and want to take the train to Chicago to meet up with fellow 3dd folks? I will have a rental car but parking near the venue seems difficult.

Also…how late do the trains run? Will I have trouble getting back to the rental car after the shows?

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

chitowntrucker wrote:To be honest none of those park and rides are terribly close to Hickory Hills.
The Orange line stop at Midway is probably best though.
But honestly if you plan on driving at all that night (IE not drinking heavily) driving to the venue will save you tons of time.
Valet will cost what the park and ride and round trip train fare would.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking of parking at Cicero (end of Pink line…same one as the closest El stop to the venue) but my friend said all the parking spots would be filled early Friday morning with commuters. I may be going to the Northwestern-Purdue football game on Saturday. If I do that, I'll probably drive to the venue and park before meeting up with 3dd folks for dinner before the show.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

I am staying at the South Loop Hotel. Our crew is planning on going over to Lauginita's Tap Room by 4:20. They have live music starting at 4:20 every day. Probably grab a bite to eat there and head to Pilsen about 6:30. Probably have a pre-game cocktail or two at Simone's.

Frisky77

Post by Frisky77 »

Bill in CT wrote:Can anyone tell me which of the following park & ride spots linked below is best if I am staying in Hickory Hills and want to take the train to Chicago to meet up with fellow 3dd folks? I will have a rental car but parking near the venue seems difficult.

From Hickory you are probably best driving to the Orange Line at Midway or at Pulaski (large parking lot there, as of 3 years ago when I would use it it would not fill up all the way). If you click on the route info below for the relevant train line it'll tell you the hours of operation:

http://www.transitchicago.com/schedules/

Agree that driving would be easier in a lot of ways....although you'll certainly hit some extra special Chicago traffic during a Friday rush!

Frisky77

Post by Frisky77 »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So I just made my hotel reservation by calling the Line of Price and got a fairly nice room in the South Loop area Friday night by bidding just under a hundred for a four-star hotel. Anyone doing last minute hotels might consider doing something similar. I have a hunch I might've gotten the Chicago South Loop, which sounds like the place to be, a little cheaper, and those deep deep tubs sounded awful nice, but this is what I ended up with. I don't suppose Thalia Hall has a luggage area in their coat check room, so I'll be talking the Hyatt into hanging onto my baggage for me. ;-)

I'm going to spend my days at the museums mostly. If anyone has a hankering for some high culture, the Art Institute has gone up to a holy fuck twenty-five dollars! admission and has two particularly tasty looking special exhibitions up: Degas: At the Track, On the Stage and "There Is Hardly a Book That Has Not Seen Hard Use": Books for Working Artists (that one's Friday only, so I think that determines the day I'll hit the Art Institute). I used to know the good places to hit on a walking tour--the Chagall mosaic at a bus stop, the big Picasso statue, and the Trib building is all I really remember now, and I'd have to look one of those up to find it--and if the weather is no more than normally shitty, I'll probably do a bit of that. I'm still undecided on what to do on Saturday. Sleep late, I'm sure, and look for a great breakfast place. I see both Leo's Lunch and the Busy Bee have been shut down, undoubtedly by PROGRESS!, by which I mean cultural destruction, but surely there's something new on offer.
http://www.sweetmaplecafe.com/ Is a great breakfast spot. Closer to the venue than the South Loop though.

http://www.whitepalacegrill.com/ No frills diner but good food and some Chicago history (building has been rehabbed but the restaurant is the same since the Maxwell St. days)

http://www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com/menus.html Pricey, busy, popular with tourists but its really good.

John A Arkansawyer

Frisky77 wrote:http://www.sweetmaplecafe.com/ Is a great breakfast spot. Closer to the venue than the South Loop though.
I think I'm headed down there to be grumpy over a tasty breakfast. Anyone who'd like to grump with me is very welcome.
Last edited by John A Arkansawyer on Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

so happy for you all! Wishing our dear friends from across the pond the greatest of adventures!

Safe journeys...safe harbours...oh yeah, and rock n roll!

Mr. & Mrs
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Alrightythen! Just a couple more chores to knock out, and I should be hitting the road in about an hour. Gonna get in a day early, play catch up with The Drifter, and I'm sure we will head into the city early afternoon tomorrow. Safe travels everyone! Stay in touch.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Just printed out my boarding pass for tomorrow morning, and the adrenaline starts to build.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Guys, knowing O'Hare and seeing the windy conditions for the next 24 hours I'd watch your flights closely. You'll get there but I'd be reasonably certain about delays unless the forecast changes.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

LBRod wrote:Just printed out my boarding pass for tomorrow morning, and the adrenaline starts to build.
Me too
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

LBRod wrote:Just printed out my boarding pass for tomorrow morning, and the adrenaline starts to build.
Roger that. Checked in for my flight, pretty much checked out of the rest of my life.

Safe travels, everyone and as TC points out, good luck w/ the dread O'Hare monster.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Yep. Checked in. Music weekend has started. On my way to see John Moreland
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I don't suppose Thalia Hall has a luggage area in their coat check room...
As it turns out, for a modest four-dollar fee, they'll watch my bag for me. Color me impressed!

Clams

Post by Clams »

I think I need to block this thread for the next few days. Yall are killing me. :x

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:I think I need to block this thread for the next few days. Yall are killing me. :x
Serves you right for not coming. If it makes you feel any better, I won't have a computer w/ me so you'll be spared a few thousand words. OTOH, maybe I can borrow one... hell, w/ this incentive maybe i should just buy one for the wkend.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
Clams wrote:I think I need to block this thread for the next few days. Yall are killing me. :x
Serves you right for not coming. If it makes you feel any better, I won't have a computer w/ me so you'll be spared a few thousand words. OTOH, maybe I can borrow one... hell, w/ this incentive maybe i should just buy one for the wkend.
Someone please spot Bubba a laptop! Don't deprive us of one of your patented 3am rock show reviews!! :lol:

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Yea, BTB, I'm with Clams... we need the 3am reviews!
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

No worries. We're rooming together. He can use my IPad
Always go to the show

beergut

Post by beergut »

Jonicont wrote:No worries. We're rooming together. He can use my IPad
Did you bring video equipment?

Not sure whether I'm gonna bring taping gear for Saturday's show yet.

I'm assuming some Chicago folk will be there, but you never know.

I'm sort of thinking that logistics of carrying my gear will be a pain.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beergut wrote:
Jonicont wrote:No worries. We're rooming together. He can use my IPad
Did you bring video equipment?

Not sure whether I'm gonna bring taping gear for Saturday's show yet.

I'm assuming some Chicago folk will be there, but you never know.

I'm sort of thinking that logistics of carrying my gear will be a pain.
Pleasure trip
Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

The only thing better than having to do work while you're taking time off is to have the communication about that work get cocked up back home and have to do more work in order to fix it. And by better, I mean worse. But I'm here, and got to look longingly at the lions at the Art Institute from across the street. Tomorrow, my pretties, if not today, I will mentally pet you as I walk right past you and in among the treasures you guard. And if y one of you can get free for the ROCK SHOW, I'll buy your ticket. I mean, talk about a date that can get you right up to the rail!

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

You're a strange man John. A good man. But a strange man. ;)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

John A Arkansawyer

GW in IA wrote:You're a strange man John. A good man. But a strange man. ;)
Oddly enough, the work I'm still doing right now is one of the parts of the job I particularly hate and feel somewhat conflicted about, so I'm not feeling entirely like a good man right now. But strange, yes. I definitely feel strange. And hungry.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote: But strange, yes. I definitely feel strange. And hungry.
I've heard there's pizza there.

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved