Too many seats open at Tarrytown!!!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

headhunter

Re: Too many seats open at Tarrytown!!!

Post by headhunter »

Jonicont wrote:They rocked the fuck outta Tarrytown tonight
that's an understatement. Power from the start.

Wednesday night in just another small town and they made it feel like Friday night in the big city. DBT kicked ass last night.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Nice setlist. First Wednesday in almost 2 years. First DD&N/GMU since May of last year.

wordmeester

Post by wordmeester »

Whatta' great Rock Show it was... maybe one of the best DBT shows I've witnessed... ears are still ringing now... boys wuz hot last night...

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Jonicont eloquently summed up last night. I love this band so much.

Just a few highlights:

-Where did Wednesday come from?? Very pleased that I decided to listen to ABAAC and DD this weekend.

-Same thing for Sounds Better in the Song. Jay's solo was virtuoso in quality. It was so good that even Cooley started smiling during it. Also really cool that Patterson paired it later on with Something's Got to Give....

-The intro to Righteous Path was dirty. Those intros are one of the reasons why live music is so amazing. You don't get those on albums and they add so much to the experience/show that the musicians aren't just trained monkeys playing the album versions night after night.

-And then into a heavy WWW?

-And then DD&N right into GMU. Just fantastic. Jonicont also rightly noted that they took GMU real fast.

-Brad's having fun with the beat during 18 Wheels. As always, my highest compliments to him and Matt.

-It's great to be alive.

-That was the best Lookout Mountain I've ever heard.

Finally, last night summed up one of the things I love about DBT. They played a Wednesday night in Tarrytown (think about that for a second) and they still left it all out on the stage. Their dedication, professionalism, commitment to following their dreams and love for their craft is beyond inspiring.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Sterling Big Mouth wrote: Jonicont also rightly noted that they took GMU real fast.
Yeah--and I thought they would run out of their socks during Shit Shots Count
Always go to the show

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

Jonicont wrote:They rocked the fuck outta Tarrytown tonight
There really isn't much else to say other than this. Thank you Headhunter for swapping seats throughout the night. It was great to get views from both sides of the stage. Although, as usual Cooleyville was much more rowdy. I was regretting the drive up as we were going, but it didn't take long into the set to make the voyage worth it.

When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Wow they even got sterling big mouth to break deep cover. This is one talented, charismatic band.

As always, sorry to miss the rock show. You never quite know what's gonna make it special but you always know something will.

Despite the thread heading, judging from the number of posts it seems like the band managed to fill at least some of those seats.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

"Got an itch that needs scratching' but it feels all right," sang Patterson during last night's rock show. "Got the need to blow it out in Tarrytown tonight." Mission accomplished. Nice seeing some familiar faces, and thanks for introducing yourself, Jonicont. Never knew there was a doctor in the house! I'll always have some quibbles: the sound was terrific, with each guitar distinct in the mix, but the vocals were occasionally cloudy. I was thrilled that Cooley opened the show with "Carl Perkin's Cadillac," but bummed that he continues to ignore "Playing Jimmy Loud" (among others in his song list). Jay seems more comfortable than ever in his various roles, slamming on the guitar and coloring with keys, and Matt's positively rocking on the bass. And the cover of Neil's "Tonight's the Night" was stunning, with harmonies unlike anything in the repertoire, and a happy/sad sentiment that underscored the myriad reasons why I love this band.

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

Amen, amen, amen, to everything that's already been said about Tarrytown. I'd like to add...

The encore was the absolute best part of the show for me. I was on the WRONG side of the theater, not Cooleyville, what's that called? P ville? Hoodville? Anyway, the view was terrific but NO ONE WAS STANDING. I stood on the side starting with the third song, gazing over at y'all having a blast in Cooleyville a little longingly. During the encore everyone swarmed the stage and I got to stand in a sweaty mass of humanity and rock out to Lookout Mountain... that's what I came for. I came for the damn Rock Show. I got it during the encore, thank god.

It was a great first show.

After, we bought SRO on vinyl and headed over to the bus... sans Sharpie... I know, I know, aren't we the annoyingest neophyte fans ever? Anyway, Patterson came out and said hi to everyone waiting, took our vinyl and headed into the bus to find a Sharpie and came out with the album signed by *everyone in the damn band.* We were a little blown away by how kind that was. I love it when I find out the art I love best in the world is made by great people.
Steel guitar and settle down.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

adiantumpedatum wrote:After, we bought SRO on vinyl and headed over to the bus... sans Sharpie... I know, I know, aren't we the annoyingest neophyte fans ever? Anyway, Patterson came out and said hi to everyone waiting, took our vinyl and headed into the bus to find a Sharpie and came out with the album signed by *everyone in the damn band.* We were a little blown away by how kind that was. I love it when I find out the art I love best in the world is made by great people.
:lol: :lol: I was the guy who walked by and said goodnight to him as he was going onto the bus. Was wondering what the fuck he was doing with the record
Always go to the show

adiantumpedatum

Post by adiantumpedatum »

That's too funny! He took awhile in the bus with it and we were like... how long does it take Patterson to find a damn Sharpie?
Steel guitar and settle down.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

What a great night! I don't think DBT is capable of playing anything but stellar every night. I don't know how they keep that pace up, it's amazing.
I was impressed with Tarrytown's crowd. We asked the security people if we could stand next to the stage for the show, or if we could stand at our seats. They seemed hesitant about going up front, but were amenable to standing at our seats. Luckily a friend of ours has a membership at Tarrytown and scored us front row Cooleyville seats. A blast from the past, Dixie Bones (she used to post on 9 Bullets, aka Karen) wound up being directly next to us. We were surrounded by Karens last night, PA Heathen and her hubby were directly behind us. So the few of us tried to inch up a bit to the stage, a step after each song, but then a gentleman with a cane started giving PA Heathen and I the evil eye so we retreated. The last thing we wanted to do was to cause trouble and risk getting kicked out. It was still a blast standing at our seats. I kept looking around, and during the rockers, it seemed like the whole theater was on its feet. During Box of Spiders, you could have heard a pin drop. Not one person so much as breathed loudly. I can't remember the last time that's happened. That's what I mean about being impressed with the crowd. Then for Hell No and the encore, we couldn't take it anymore and just rushed up and rocked out.
The band was tight and terrific as usual. It was fun seeing so many blasts from the past in the audience, every time I turned around there was somebody to hug and catch up with. What fun!
Jay's family was in the audience last night. It was great to see them heading up front with the rest of us. He was extra amazing last night, his family should be proud. I had to laugh when one of the security people tried to stop his family from taking a picture of him. I hope the picture turned out ok!

So we all know Cooleyville. In my mind, I've always thought of the other areas as Patterson's Hood or Jay Town, but that's just me. No matter what you call it, you can't beat being up front at a DBT show. You'll never be disappointed.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

pa_heathen

Post by pa_heathen »

CooleyGirl wrote: Jay's family was in the audience last night. It was great to see them heading up front with the rest of us. He was extra amazing last night, his family should be proud. I had to laugh when one of the security people tried to stop his family from taking a picture of him. I hope the picture turned out ok!
I was standing behind Jay's aunt, I believe it was, as she was trying to take the picture. She looked so proud, but then was quickly told to move away. She tried explaining to security, but he wanted none of it. From what I could see though, the picture turned out pretty awesome. Jay sure was rocking it.
When the lights came up we all went home but never quite the same.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

CooleyGirl wrote: Dixie Bones (she used to post on 9 Bullets, aka Karen)
Our favorite roller derby queen? :shock: That's alsum!! :D
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Very bummed I had to miss this gem due to work calling......glad everyone had a blast - would of been right up there rockin with y'all....

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Tarrytown recording. Feel free to share, host elsewhere, convert to any format.

Files (1.32 GB total)
Drive By Truckers - 2015 March 11 -The Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY photos.rar
(flac files)
Will be deleted on
22 March, 2015

Download link
http://we.tl/XzkYnKHB4T

MP3 Samples
Wednesday
Zip City

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

Oops, despite the "photos.rar" that link actually does lead to a download for audio files. I mislabeled my photo and tape file folders on my hard drive.

insainz7713

Post by insainz7713 »

"I think im gonna call the police" !!!! I nearly jumped out of my shoes!

gepman

Post by gepman »

Yaz Rock wrote:Oops, despite the "photos.rar" that link actually does lead to a download for audio files. I mislabeled my photo and tape file folders on my hard drive.
Thanks, dude, appreciate the show link...

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

You're welcome! Thanks for chiming in.

wordmeester

Post by wordmeester »

A double thanks on the show link... brought my bro-in-law to the Rock Show as a DBT newbie; he had to leave early (work) so he missed the last hour of the set... the link will do him wonders -- he was BLOWN AWAY by the band. He turned around three tunes into the set with a big smile and a enthusiastic high-five... everyone I hook to see this band has much the same reaction.

I was also in the second row with two folks I met there who were witnessing their first DBT Rock Show -- from the looks of things, they also left converted.

Can I get an AMEN?

Yaz Rock

Post by Yaz Rock »

You're welcome! And thanks for the acknowledgement.

Tarrytown was my third DBT show, and the first time seeing them with a fair knowledge of their repertoire, so I could anticipate favorite songs (Carl Perkins' Cadillac, Uncle Frank), and yet not deep enough that some songs surprised me and became new favorites (Wednesday, [Something's Got To] Give Pretty Soon, and Dead Drunk and Naked).

My first show was at the Capitol Theater on the Old 97s tour in 2013 (I'm a long time 97s fan). I didn't know any DBT material at all. I listened to a couple youtube tracks prior to the show but nothing stuck with me. I figured I may as well stay around and listen to a few songs in-person at least. Most of the other hard-core 97s fans left. A couple people stayed, but after a few songs they eventually drifted too. My plan was to see half the show. I think it was the Cooley songs that drew me in first. I figured I might stick it out, but I was looking forward to getting home early, and kinda wished the show would end soon. Every few songs DBT would play some blistering number, and I figured "that's the end of the set for sure." But, no, they kept going! I don't know where that show/tour ranks among the diehards, but it seemed to me that the band was up to something extra special that night.

I'm glad I stuck it out for the whole thing. I find that I get into music more more easily when discovering it live. No matter how badly someone may recommend a band or an album to me, it probably won't stick if I just listen to the CD. Just about every contemporary band I've begun following in the last 15 years has been due to a live experience, either as an opening act or just going to a show on a whim because it was nearby or was an inexpensive/free ticket.

After the Capitol Theater show I listened to my tape a lot, so those were the songs I became familiar with. Next in 2014 I went to Toad's Place in New Haven. This being the around the time that English Oceans came out, it was an "album show." Not quite the marathon of the year before, but to be expected when supporting new material. I picked up a bunch of the older albums around this time, but kept falling back on the songs I was familiar with from the shows, plus a few I fell into on my own. Unlike most of you all (it seems), I am only familiar with the new lineup, so listening to the back catalog is a bit disconcerting to me. I've got no attachment to the Isbell/Tucker songs (though some of them I do like), but the current lineup is what I connected with live and the Hood & Cooley material is what I gravitate to.

Tarrytown is my hometown so I was really looking forward to this show, plus some friends and I scored great seats. I was really glad to hear Carl Perkins' Cadillac for the first time, it is such a catchy tune and could be payed every night and I wouldn't be bored with it. I like that many DBT songs are rooted in some historical episode or person, and how something clicks to make these guys write those songs, be it about someone famous (Carl Perkins), personal (Uncle Frank), or obscure (The Deeper In [not played at Tarrytown, I know - just a reference]).

I like the fact that the three shows I've been to have wildly differing setlists. I didn't notice any actual setlists on stage after the show however. Did I not get up there quick enough, or does the band not use any pre-determined list at all? That's a bit of a rarity these days, if so.

I also caught Patterson Hood's comment about Jay Gonzalez being from Yonkers. After the show I saw the crowd by the bus and I went over to see what's up. I didn't get a word in with Hood (who I chatted with after Toad's Place and found him to be quite gracious) but Jay Gonzalez walked past me and I asked him about being from Yonkers - figuring we could chat about that on an equally familiar level. Turns out he was born there but was largely raised a little ways north in Somers. He laughed and said "Yeah, I tried to correct Patterson a few times but it didn't seem to register." I was also introduced to Jay's parents and we had a nice chat about the neighborhood they used to live in.

I sat over on the Jay side of the theater, and recovering from a minor injury I actually didn't mind sitting for most of the show. And when people did start creeping up front and standing, it was cool and no one was obnoxious about it. Unlike the Cap Theater show when there were definitely some jerks in the crowd, and a mini-brawl as soon as the show ended. I blame that on the venue and not the band, as it seems to attract a more aggressive audience. However, at Tarrytown there was a kerfuffle, or at least something that alarmed the security guard, in the aisle in Cooleyeville, 5 or 6 rows back, during First Air of Autumn.

Since Tarrytown I've been relistening to the studio material with more interest in "unfamiliar songs" and reading up more on the band's, and it's songs, backstories here. And looking forward to the next tour. This is turning into a nice little March tradition in the Northeast!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Yaz Rock wrote: I like the fact that the three shows I've been to have wildly differing setlists. I didn't notice any actual setlists on stage after the show however. Did I not get up there quick enough, or does the band not use any pre-determined list at all? That's a bit of a rarity these days, if so.
The band almost never uses setlists.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

spacertime

Post by spacertime »

wordmeester wrote:I was also in the second row with two folks I met there who were witnessing their first DBT Rock Show -- from the looks of things, they also left converted.

Heh. 8-) I think I might actually BE one of the 2 folks you're talking about, haha. Were you Orch Right? Third seat from the aisle? I took my seat while you and the guy on my left were talking about literary songwriters...I mentioned that I love classics like Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits and, especially, Leon Russell. If so....you're right....I DID leave converted.

Jen

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Yaz Rock wrote:Tarrytown recording. Feel free to share, host elsewhere, convert to any format.

Files (1.32 GB total)
Drive By Truckers - 2015 March 11 -The Music Hall, Tarrytown, NY photos.rar
(flac files)
Will be deleted on
22 March, 2015

Download link
http://we.tl/XzkYnKHB4T

MP3 Samples
Wednesday
Zip City

Any chance we could get a re-post of the show? I just now noticed there was a recording in this thread but the link is dead.