Ghosts of Homecomings past

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Ghosts of Homecomings past

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

With concentration becoming more and more difficult with each passing day I find my thoughts drifting to past year's Homecomings. With so much out there in YouTube land I thought we could start posting some favorites. Here's one from the Request Show on my very first night at the 40 Watt:

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dbtfan4life

Re: Ghosts of Homecomings past

Post by dbtfan4life »

I was at that show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:With concentration becoming more and more difficult with each passing day I find my thoughts drifting to past year's Homecomings. With so much out there in YouTube land I thought we could start posting some favorites. Here's one from the Request Show on my very first night at the 40 Watt:

I really miss that pedal steel. I wish they would have someone sit in every now and then.
If you don't run you rust

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Clams wrote:I really miss that pedal steel. I wish they would have someone sit in every now and then.

The occasional "sit in" would be nice. I've always wondered what a pedal steel setup would cost and how long it would take a badass musician (like, say, umm.....Jay) to learn it. A man can dream.

Was the requests show a one-and-doner, or have they done it at more than just that one HC? That would be fun.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

ramonz wrote:
Clams wrote:I really miss that pedal steel. I wish they would have someone sit in every now and then.

The occasional "sit in" would be nice. I've always wondered what a pedal steel setup would cost and how long it would take a badass musician (like, say, umm.....Jay) to learn it. A man can dream.

Was the requests show a one-and-doner, or have they done it at more than just that one HC? That would be fun.

Just the once. Cotter and JimmyC did the picking. I'd blame them there wasn't another but nah, let's blame Clams.

Here's another from that night:

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

ramonz wrote:

It's a pretty narrow market with a steep learning curve and there aren't many companies left that are able to make a student or entry level instrument. The old first time out pedal steel used to be the Carter Starter, but they've long since stopped building them. For the most part you're going to spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 and up for the instrument, they tend to hold their resale value so used is an option but not necessarily a cheaper one. There's not really a "standard" pedal steel instrument like there is for a 6 string guitar, they can be tuned differently depending upon the style of music you are playing, Hawaiian, blues, country and or western, etc., All that is to say that the cost of ownership keeps most players from taking the leap.
After that it's up to the player as to how long it takes them to get the hang of it. I've known guys who were absolute monsters on a standard 6 string be reduced to complete beginner status once you introduced the slide component. Having a working knowledge of scales and modes helps but it takes time to get the slide hand technique down and some guys just never get it. John Neff is a hell of a player and I miss his parts, especially his steel licks.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Had been listening to the band for about three and a half years and seen them a handful of times when they came to NYC. Had met a guy at a show. He was going and said I definitely needed to be there. So two and a half weeks before the show, I made a rash decision and bought tickets for Friday and Saturday. When I told my wife and kids they were like "what are you talking about?, what do you mean you're going to Georgia for a concert?, who are you?" My secretary said "YOU'RE taking a day off?" I brought a video camera with me--and so it began

Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice one John! I almost was there with you that year but listened to my other voices and decided it was ridiculous. Yeah, not so much.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This is from the first show Lurleen & I ever attended together as a couple. This was Thursday night 2011. Thanks for capturing this one jonicont!

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This is from the first show Lurleen & I ever attended together as a couple. This was Thursday night 2011. Thanks for capturing this one jonicont!

The first time my wife and I danced together was during this song, we had just started dating when we went to this show. Thanks for posting this :)

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Jonicont wrote:Had been listening to the band for about three and a half years and seen them a handful of times when they came to NYC. Had met a guy at a show. He was going and said I definitely needed to be there. So two and a half weeks before the show, I made a rash decision and bought tickets for Friday and Saturday. When I told my wife and kids they were like "what are you talking about?, what do you mean you're going to Georgia for a concert?, who are you?" My secretary said "YOU'RE taking a day off?" I brought a video camera with me--and so it began

I was at this show with my buddies Jeff and Paul. Met a bunch of folks that night, including Lurleen McQueen, Howlin' Wolf, and RevTodd among others. Good times. Good times.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

ramonz wrote:Was the requests show a one-and-doner, or have they done it at more than just that one HC? That would be fun.

I heard Patterson say they would NEVER do it again because the contest winner(s) picked a bunch of rarely played songs which tended to be slower songs. By the way the songs they picked were great. They picked songs that rarely get played.....and the band doesn't play them on a regular basis for the most part was because they screw up the pacing of a show..so they rarely get played...which makes them infrequently heard.....so that's why they got picked.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Rocky wrote:
ramonz wrote:Was the requests show a one-and-doner, or have they done it at more than just that one HC? That would be fun.

I heard Patterson say they would NEVER do it again because the contest winner(s) picked a bunch of rarely played songs which tended to be slower songs. By the way the songs they picked were great. They picked songs that rarely get played.....and the band doesn't play them on a regular basis for the most part was because they screw up the pacing of a show..so they rarely get played...which makes them infrequently heard.....so that's why they got picked.

Thanks Rocky, totally makes sense. By the way, this is one of the most glorious sentences I've ever seen: "They picked songs that rarely get played.....and the band doesn't play them on a regular basis for the most part was because they screw up the pacing of a show..so they rarely get played...which makes them infrequently heard.....so that's why they got picked."

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

The request show was a lot of fun. Fantastic for die hard fans, but the pace was certainly slow. I remember Cooley making a smart ass comment at one point, something like do you mind if we pick up the pace a bit. I can understand it if the band doesn't want to do that again, especially with the way they've been leaning towards the all out rockers. I think it is safe to say that was the one and only time I will hear The President's Penis is Missing.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Ghosts of Homecomings Past

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

CooleyGirl wrote: I think it is safe to say that was the one and only time I will hear The President's Penis is Missing.

Olé!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »