Patterson Hood on WTF with Marc Maron

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rocky

Re: Patterson Hood on WTF with Marc Maron

Post by Rocky »

Y'all may know this. Jim Stacy is the one who did the covers for the Truckers' first two albums.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I enjoyed both of these interviews a lot. They were good and long which was nice because most Truckers interviews tend to be fairly short.

Both were great. Jason seemed to enjoy his. He sounded maybe just a little tired early on which is understandable since he had just played a show. But he seemed to enjoy it.

Patterson was obviously very comfortable talking to this particular guy. I enjoyed his a lot. Particularly his talking about his growing up with David Hood for a dad. I didn't really learn anything new but it was still cool.

The interviewer did a good job I thought. There was maybe time or two that he interrupted but it was only a couple of times. He got on my nerves during the lead up to the Jason interview simply because he went on and on and I was looking forward to the interview. He also rambled and acted like he had taken a Five Hour Energy and chased it with a big cup of coffe. But once the interview got going I thought he was good.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

The interviewer, Marc Maron, leads-off every one of his Podcasts with a 10 to 15 minute monologue. He catches us up on his personal life while plugging his sponsers which is absolutely essential to his existence. Sometimes he nails it and sometimes, he's a bit much, but I'm at the point where I'm interested in what's going on in his life. I want to know what he has to say, and he loves music, and he's heavily into vinyl and his tube amps. And, since I've been listening, he's ditched his fiance and hooked-up with Moon Zappa. He was a moderately successful comedian who did the comedy circuit in New York and beyond, but it sounds like he hit a wall. He started his Podcast in desperate straights. He's honest about his personal struggles with alcohal, drugs, food and ice cream. He's got his cats, Boomer lives. He's open, honest and genuinely interested in what drives his guests which is one reason, I'm guessing, why Patterson is huge fan of his show and his book. This is an early shot of Marc Maron with Sam Kennison, which is the picture Artie Lange was ape shit over,

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Cole--you gotta get familiar with Marc Maron! The Jason and PH interviews were incredibly sincere and interesting (but I'm a huge fan so maybe I'm biased). He does blather on in the beginning but that's very...NY..introspective, insecure, self-depracating, va'klempting..

http://youtu.be/m_p0Da1JznM Love it when Louie CK makes up with him a second time (lol).

I could see PH doing a podcast at some point, no? Is anyone doing that with Athens bands?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Rotgut Moonshine

Post by Rotgut Moonshine »

I cringed a lil bit whenever Maron would say "Gangsterbilly", but overall this was a fantastic experience as a fan of both men. Consider myself a very well versed Trucker fan and still learned some new things about Hood and the band as well. Agree that this is a must listen for any DbT fan.

Of course, I'm doing this kinda bassackwards, so now onto the Isbell pod....
"You wanna feel old after 42 years, keep droppin' the hammer and grindin' the gears."

Rotgut Moonshine

Post by Rotgut Moonshine »

Also, I didn't see a direct link in anyone's post. So for posterity reasons - http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_483_-_patterson_hood
"You wanna feel old after 42 years, keep droppin' the hammer and grindin' the gears."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rotgut Moonshine wrote:I cringed a lil bit whenever Maron would say "Gangsterbilly", but overall this was a fantastic experience as a fan of both men. Consider myself a very well versed Trucker fan and still learned some new things about Hood and the band as well. Agree that this is a must listen for any DbT fan.

Of course, I'm doing this kinda bassackwards, so now onto the Isbell pod....

I enjoyed hearing tales of the same period of time told from both perspectives with David Hood being the common link. I didn't know Maron prior to these but I like his interviewing style and I'll be listening in the future.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I don't know how far back Maron's free archives go, but his Todd Snider and J. Mascis interviews were pretty good too, from what I remember. I get the sense that deep down (like most of us) he's a frustrated rock star, so his interviews with musicians tend to be pretty good.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Duke Silver wrote:I don't know how far back Maron's free archives go, but his Todd Snider and J. Mascis interviews were pretty good too, from what I remember. I get the sense that deep down (like most of us) he's a frustrated rock star, so his interviews with musicians tend to be pretty good.

you have to have the premium membership going back that far:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_309_-_todd_snider_aaron_freeman
In my blood, there's gasoline..

ford911

Post by ford911 »

The J Tillman one is good too.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Maron has a sitcom on IFC as well. In the Seinfeld/Curb Your Enthusiasm style. Good stuff.

gerg

Post by gerg »

His TV show is great.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

The PH interview is awesome. Well beyond soundbites. My hippie nephew who has been living in Korea the past 8 years sent me the link. I may not know the history as well as many here, but I loved the fact I was able to hear so much from the horses mouth, so to speak. Now I have to listen to the Jason interview. I like how Patterson knew Jason was only temporary. This band came into my sphere of awareness after Jason left. I have always thought he was far too talented to be third string. I'd rather hear his stuff solo, more of it, and LOVE the new stripped down version of DBT. May miss a bit of pedal steal at the show later this month, but, oh well. Life ain't perfect.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Patterson mentioned in this interview that the DBT/Willie show is going to be more of a co-bill verses the Truckers opening.. This is great news! 5 days, so psyched to finally catch a show at the Greek. and really, just looking forward to a long wkend in the Bay area.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro