DBT TRacks - Week #7 - Ronnie & Neil

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

DBT TRacks - Week #7 - Ronnie & Neil

Post by Clams »

Ronnie & Neil was the first DBT song to bowl me over. A true "holy shit" moment, as in "Wow, these guys really get it!" I had no idea that people still made rock songs like this. Part U.S. history lesson, part classic rock lesson. It's got all sorts of dualities running through it, and is arguably the centerpiece of SRO. I like it best with Days of Graduation as an intro. And live on stage, this one always takes the rock show up a level or two, or three.

Church blew up in Birmingham
Four little black girls killed for no goddamn good reason
All this hate and violence can't come to no good end
A stain on the good name.
A whole lot of good people dragged threw the blood and glass
Blood stains on their good names and all of us take the blame

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Wilson Pickett comes to town
To record that sweet soul music, to get that Muscle Shoals sound

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Aretha Franklin comes to town
To record that sweet soul music, to get that Muscle Shoals sound

And out in California, a rock star from Canada writes a couple of great songs about the
Bad shit that went down
"Southern Man" and "Alabama" certainly told some truth
But there were a lot of good folks down here and Neil Young wasn't around

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town
To record with Jimmy Johnson at Muscle Shoals Sound
And they met some real good people, not racist pieces of shit
And they wrote a song about it and that song became a hit

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil
Rock stars today ain't half as real
Speaking there minds on how they feel
Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends their feud was just in song
Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song
So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record
But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord

And Neil helped carry Ronnie in his casket to the ground
And to my way of thinking, us southern men need both of them around

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil
Rock stars today ain't half as real
Speaking their minds on how they feel
Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil
If you don't run you rust

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Re: DBT TRacks - Week #7 - Ronnie & Neil

Post by never going back »

Absolutely fantastic song. I think the songs like this are the heart and soul of dbt.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The song is near perfection. For the most part my favorite DBT songs tell a real story with a real heart and this one has that in spades. Doesn't hurt that the song just fucking rocks either!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I do a music portion in my class every year, and I use Southern Man, Sweet Home Alabama, and Ronnie and Neil. When I asked them to tell me what they saw as they heard the song, one of my students said a bunch of guys in flannel shirts playing rock music in the woods. :D

This was the first official album I got, and blasted the shit outta this song when it came on for the first time.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

my favorite DBT cover
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice one Smitty! Starts off slow but comes 'round most excellently. Glad u seem to have tamed that mean ole virus.

Clams, what else is there to say about this one other than that it's great?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I want the main riff to be the theme song that plays when I'm just out walking around.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Clams wrote:Ronnie & Neil was the first DBT song to bowl me over. A true "holy shit" moment, as in "Wow, these guys really get it!"

My thoughts exactly. I was still listening to Graduation Day as I read the lyrics to Ronnie &
Neil. I immediately hit the skip button. After hearing it, I ran in the den to looked up
their web site and they were playing the Freebird the next night. The rest as they
say.........
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Okay, so I am a BIG Nerd, but my favorite part of Ronnie & Neil is listening in the car alone and hearing the opening notes and playing air guitar and air drums on the steering wheel and counting 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4 CUE COOLEY guitar slide - bangs head and does the windmill with her air guitar - fellow drivers in other cars staring and moving out of the way. Good times. :lol:
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The first time I really heard this song was when my buddies and I were in a total DBT immersion. After I bought ABAAC and we were totally blown away, my buddy picked up DD and SRO. We grabbed a case of Busch Light, and started cruising gravel roads, and just cranked the shit out of Southern Rock Opera. When they launched into Ronnie and Neil, it was insta-goosebumps.

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:Clams, what else is there to say about this one other than that it's great?

Well BTB, see below....
Iowan wrote:The first time I really heard this song was when my buddies and I were in a total DBT immersion. After I bought ABAAC and we were totally blown away, my buddy picked up DD and SRO. We grabbed a case of Busch Light, and started cruising gravel roads, and just cranked the shit out of Southern Rock Opera. When they launched into Ronnie and Neil, it was insta-goosebumps.
Lurleen McQueen wrote:Okay, so I am a BIG Nerd, but my favorite part of Ronnie & Neil is listening in the car alone and hearing the opening notes and playing air guitar and air drums on the steering wheel and counting 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4 CUE COOLEY guitar slide - bangs head and does the windmill with her air guitar - fellow drivers in other cars staring and moving out of the way. Good times. :lol:
Swamp wrote:
Clams wrote:Ronnie & Neil was the first DBT song to bowl me over. A true "holy shit" moment, as in "Wow, these guys really get it!"

My thoughts exactly. I was still listening to Graduation Day as I read the lyrics to Ronnie &
Neil. I immediately hit the skip button. After hearing it, I ran in the den to looked up
their web site and they were playing the Freebird the next night. The rest as they
say.........
Duke Silver wrote:I want the main riff to be the theme song that plays when I'm just out walking around.
Zip City wrote:my favorite part of the song is when it drops out to just EZB on the kick drum during "Sweet Home Alabama to the lord!" That simple kick drum evokes a lot of what we know about southern rock somehow
PeterJ wrote:I do a music portion in my class every year, and I use Southern Man, Sweet Home Alabama, and Ronnie and Neil. When I asked them to tell me what they saw as they heard the song, one of my students said a bunch of guys in flannel shirts playing rock music in the woods. :D

I love reading shit like that!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Lots of good Neil/Ronnie stuff here, including some DBT references...

http://thrasherswheat.org/jammin/lynyrd.htm

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

One night last fall I picked up my fourteen year old son from his mother's house. When he got in the car I slipped Second Helping into the cd player.

"I don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd anymore," my son said. I was a concerned. This was a kid who asked for an electric guitar three years earlier just so he could learn "Sweet Home Alabama."

"Why not?"

"They're racist. 'Sweet Home Alabama' is a song defending racism."

"Who told you that?"

"My history teacher. He saw my Skynyrd shirt and told me they were racist."

"That's not true. In fact, 'Sweet Home Alabama' is the opposite."

I started telling my son how Lynyrd Skynyrd went to Muscle Shoals, Alabama in the early days of the band to record some demos. That the band expected the people in Alabama to be racist but it turned out that white and black musicians had been working together at Fame Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studios since 1959. That was what inspired them to write "Sweet Home Alabama. As I rambled on, I could see that my son was tuning me out. I reached over and grabbed a cd.

"Here, you've got to listen to this album. It is called Southern Rock Opera by Drive By Truckers. This album tells the whole story. One of the guitarists and singers is Patterson Hood. His Dad played bass in The Swampers, the band mentioned in the fourth verse of "Sweet Home Alabama."

My son borrowed the cd for a couple of weeks and started listening to Skynyrd again. A few months later he told me how he showed up his history teacher.

"How's that?" I asked.

"He didn't believe me when I told him that in 1982 George Wallace got over 90% of the black vote. I told him to look it up. He did. He told the whole class that I was right."
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:Okay, so I am a BIG Nerd, but my favorite part of Ronnie & Neil is listening in the car alone and hearing the opening notes and playing air guitar and air drums on the steering wheel and counting 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4 CUE COOLEY guitar slide - bangs head and does the windmill with her air guitar - fellow drivers in other cars staring and moving out of the way. Good times. :lol:

one of the reasons I love commuting by car. there is a screen of invisibility. No other driver or motorist can see you. So you can sing as loud as you want, play air drums and guitar and no one will ever know.

that's right, right?

otherwise it might be a trifle embarrassing....
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Yeah, Clams, i got it. I'm slow, but i'm stupid.

Love that story, rev. matt.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Nobody Girl

Post by Nobody Girl »

Zip City wrote:my favorite part of the song is when it drops out to just EZB on the kick drum during "Sweet Home Alabama to the lord!"

Yes, yes, yes!

Nobody Girl

Post by Nobody Girl »

Duke Silver wrote:I want the main riff to be the theme song that plays when I'm just out walking around.

:lol: It would be awesome if everyone had their own personal theme music.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

According to Terry Jaymes of the Lex & Terry radio show, all southerners are racist. :(
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:One night last fall I picked up my fourteen year old son from his mother's house. When he got in the car I slipped Second Helping into the cd player.

"I don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd anymore," my son said. I was a concerned. This was a kid who asked for an electric guitar three years earlier just so he could learn "Sweet Home Alabama."

"Why not?"

"They're racist. 'Sweet Home Alabama' is a song defending racism."

"Who told you that?"

"My history teacher. He saw my Skynyrd shirt and told me they were racist."

"That's not true. In fact, 'Sweet Home Alabama' is the opposite."

I started telling my son how Lynyrd Skynyrd went to Muscle Shoals, Alabama in the early days of the band to record some demos. That the band expected the people in Alabama to be racist but it turned out that white and black musicians had been working together at Fame Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studios since 1959. That was what inspired them to write "Sweet Home Alabama. As I rambled on, I could see that my son was tuning me out. I reached over and grabbed a cd.

"Here, you've got to listen to this album. It is called Southern Rock Opera by Drive By Truckers. This album tells the whole story. One of the guitarists and singers is Patterson Hood. His Dad played bass in The Swampers, the band mentioned in the fourth verse of "Sweet Home Alabama."

My son borrowed the cd for a couple of weeks and started listening to Skynyrd again. A few months later he told me how he showed up his history teacher.

"How's that?" I asked.

"He didn't believe me when I told him that in 1982 George Wallace got over 90% of the black vote. I told him to look it up. He did. He told the whole class that I was right."

great story, Matt...

luv this thread, luv that song....picturing lurleen air guitaring now.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

This song should be played live at everyone of there shows. Just lets you know that SRO is going to be a different type of album.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Swamp wrote:According to Terry Jaymes of the Lex & Terry radio show, all southerners are racist. :(

The truth is, the northern industrial cities have been very racist, so much so that since 1980 many African Americans have moved to places like Atlanta or Charlotte to escape racism. Read your history, starting with the draft riots in NYC during the Civil War. As Patterson says, "Racism is a worldwide problem and it's not just black and white, but thanks to George Wallace it is always a little more convenient to play it with a Southern accent."
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

helmespc

Post by helmespc »

Jeremy wrote:This song should be played live at everyone of there shows. Just lets you know that SRO is going to be a different type of album.

Maybe not every show.... but I've been to many shows in the past 6 years and not seen them play it since the first time I saw them back in 05.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

helmespc wrote:
Jeremy wrote:This song should be played live at everyone of there shows. Just lets you know that SRO is going to be a different type of album.

Maybe not every show.... but I've been to many shows in the past 6 years and not seen them play it since the first time I saw them back in 05.

Well, yeah not everyone,but for the person who is seeing a show for the first time I would want them to hear it,lol, but I have seen it a ton live and is def one song I never get tired of hearing.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I would totally vote for Lurleen in an air guitar competition.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Great call on this one clams.
The first DBT song I ever heard was Gravity's Gone on Sirius Outlaw Country. ABAAC had just come out so Best Buy in OKC actually had it in stock. Liked the album and thought it would be worth it to pay close attention to the radio to see if these guys had anything else worth listening to. A month or so later OC played Ronnie & Neil while I was sitting here at my computer at work.
I stopped what I was doing, went to Amazon and ordered the entire catalogue.

Son of Swamp

Post by Son of Swamp »

this song is obviously about heroin.
Segalegend.tumblr.com

kendix

Post by kendix »

RevMatt wrote:
Swamp wrote:According to Terry Jaymes of the Lex & Terry radio show, all southerners are racist. :(

The truth is, the northern industrial cities have been very racist, so much so that since 1980 many African Americans have moved to places like Atlanta or Charlotte to escape racism. Read your history, starting with the draft riots in NYC during the Civil War. As Patterson says, "Racism is a worldwide problem and it's not just black and white, but thanks to George Wallace it is always a little more convenient to play it with a Southern accent."

Definitely. I live in the Oakland and I don't think many places are more subtly racist than the Bay Area--a so-called liberal stronghold. They talk nonstop about how important it is to implement government policy to fix racism and never say or think anything racist, but most are deathly afraid to step foot into any neighborhood where non-white people live. Friends who come to Oakland from SF for the first time can't believe we have things like coffee shops and restaurants and don't have to wear bulletproof vests when leaving the house.

Iowan wrote:The first time I really heard this song was when my buddies and I were in a total DBT immersion. After I bought ABAAC and we were totally blown away, my buddy picked up DD and SRO. We grabbed a case of Busch Light, and started cruising gravel roads, and just cranked the shit out of Southern Rock Opera. When they launched into Ronnie and Neil, it was insta-goosebumps.

I can't put into words how much I identify with that story.
I'll write you a letter tomorrow. Tonight I can't hold a pen.

The Lynx

Post by The Lynx »

Ive sat in my car in 100 degree weather just to finish the entire Southern rock opera in one sitting... and then listen to ronnie and neil 'one more time'.
"Hell's filling up with Republicans"

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

The 7/23 Shoals Theater version may be the best R & N I've ever seen (opposite of stealth bragging). Played immediately after Buttholeville, Patterson introduced it as a peace offering to the dear sweet Jimmy Johnson.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

I've heard tales of what goes down there ...