So whats everyones travel arrangements for the euro tour ?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

loopyhelsbells

So whats everyones travel arrangements for the euro tour ?

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Having booked tickets for the forthcoming week in May of debauchery...Where is everyone staying and by what means of transport are we all using....Tips for cheap deals greatly appreciated :geek: We got 2 return tickets to Amsterdam with Easyjet for £116 for both ...flying from Gatwick..
It's Great To Be Alive........

TruckerTomer

Re: So whats everyones travel arrangements for the euro tour

Post by TruckerTomer »

I'll probably take my regular hotels, they're all very close to the venues:

Manchester - Brittania Hotel

London - Grantly Hotel

Amsterdam - RobertRamon Hotel

All 3 stars hotels that feats me well (traveling alone). Never been to Antwerpen before, so that will be a new one.

I'm gonna take trains from Manchester to London (about two hours) and Amsterdam to Antwerpen (about one hour). And of course a cheap, probably EasyJet flight from London to Amsterdam early on the 15th (planning to see Amanda Shires in London on the 14th).

I guess bunch of us will take the trains together. We can set it up when we'll meet in Manchester. This is where I at least joining the party :)
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

As regards the trains it's worth booking in advance in the UK as you can save quite a lot of money, especially if you can travel at funny times (I.e. not rush hour).

The site I usually use

www.thetrainline.com

Not even thought about flights yet.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

Man I couldn't fathom traveling overseas for a concert.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

BiloxiParish wrote:Man I couldn't fathom traveling overseas for a concert.

So welcome to my world :) You have to do it if you live in a place where the artists you love don't come to visit there...The shame is that you cna do it once-twice, maybe three times a year or so. It costs a lot, you gotta save every time and pick specific acts you really wanna see live. But it makes the trips and the shows a lot more special. You also gotta put the music way above in your priorities in life. I do it and it means a lot to me.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

For the trains between Glasgow and Manchester and Manchester and London, I'd recommend using http://www.virgintrains.co.uk, the cheapest tickets they do aren't always available through http://www.thetrainline.com. Manchester to London is £12.50 if booked far enough in advance (and you can set a reminder on the website so they email you when those tickets go onsale).

Flea

Post by Flea »

TruckerTomer wrote:I'll probably take my regular hotels, they're all very close to the venues:

London - Grantly Hotel

All 3 stars hotels that feats me well (traveling alone). Never been to Antwerpen before, so that will be a new one.

I'm gonna take trains from Manchester to London (about two hours) and Amsterdam to Antwerpen (about one hour). And of course a cheap, probably EasyJet flight from London to Amsterdam early on the 15th (planning to see Amanda Shires in London on the 14th).

I guess bunch of us will take the trains together. We can set it up when we'll meet in Manchester. This is where I at least joining the party :)

I understand you met Jitte at the Isbell shows.
Now it's dark.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Another decent site for trains from Manc is London Midland I have got some really good deals going back and forth to Liverpool...But you need to book in advance :)
We stay at the Britannia too in Manchester..get a good price and after all its only somewhere to stick your head! Flights booked to Amsterdam just need to book the train back and forth to Antwerp..
We are going over on the 14th early evening so we can soak up the ambience of Amsterdam ;)

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

i wouldn't do it for just one show, but i've seen 4 festivals overseas and have had a blast each time.

it's expensive, but think of it as a rock and roll vacation.

TDB

Post by TDB »

As soon as I see DBT in 48 states (forget Alaska, Hawaii), I will make my plans for a European tour!
(26 down, 22 to go!)

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Flea wrote:
TruckerTomer wrote:I'll probably take my regular hotels, they're all very close to the venues:

London - Grantly Hotel

I understand you met Jitte at the Isbell shows.

In Brighton, yes. It was awesome. Great guy.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

tinnitus photography wrote:

i wouldn't do it for just one show, but i've seen 4 festivals overseas and have had a blast each time.

I've never planned a European vacation around music, which is why I happened to miss Springsteen in Paris twice, once by a day and once by I think it was 3 days. That's just stupid. But I've been to a couple of club shows and a concert or two over there and it's a lot of fun - it's the same, but different. If it's the deciding factor that finally gets one over there, it's absolutely worth it and if it's the primary reason for going it's a triple threat guaranteed great time: You're gonna see a band that you like enough to make that trip, they're gonna play some different stuff (just because almost every band seems to) and when you wake up, you're in some fabulous European capital (or major city). I better stop now before I convince myself to buy those tix for May :lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:

I've never planned a European vacation around music, which is why I happened to miss Springsteen in Paris twice, once by a day and once by I think it was 3 days. That's just stupid. But I've been to a couple of club shows and a concert or two over there and it's a lot of fun - it's the same, but different. If it's the deciding factor that finally gets one over there, it's absolutely worth it and if it's the primary reason for going it's a triple threat guaranteed great time: You're gonna see a band that you like enough to make that trip, they're gonna play some different stuff (just because almost every band seems to) and when you wake up, you're in some fabulous European capital (or major city). I better stop now before I convince myself to buy those tix for May :lol:

C'mon Bubba, we need a tour guide
Always go to the show

BiloxiParish

Post by BiloxiParish »

I hope I didn't come off like a Jackass in that post!

I've grew up around and near New Orleans so hearing great spectacular music live was never an issue. I just never thought about people who don't get great live acts ever. I remember hearing DBT was playing Hattiesburg, MS I was so happy to see them play a place just a little bit off the beaten path. I always wonder how shows like that go. Do they pack out at a club? It thrills me to see people from across the atlantic digging good music that has come out of the South.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Starting to book stuff up. It's actually cheaper to fly from Glasgow to Manchester than to get the train. Bonkers.

That is all

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I'm planning on cramming myself into one of Jonicont's check-in bags.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

dogstar wrote:Starting to book stuff up. It's actually cheaper to fly from Glasgow to Manchester than to get the train. Bonkers.

That is all

Still way too soon to get cheap train tickets mind. They'll appear mid-Feb I expect.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Blind Terry

Post by Blind Terry »

Never been one for message boards but I was checking out to see if anyone else was going to make the Euro trip from England - what a nice surprise to find this community of people willing to travel abroad for great music. So i joined the board!

Myself and my Dad are going to be making the trip to Amsterdam and Antwerp (we're from Brighton). Just booked our flights this morning with Easyjet and only got £100 for both of us! A steal.

In regards to travelling for shows, I find it definitely adds to the experience. In May we went to Texas to see Hayes Carll and the Turnpike Troubadours, caught shows from the Whiskey Sisters, Slaid Cleaves and Bob Schneider, too. Unfortunately, after travelling for 18 hours we were beat and missed James McMurtry's show at the Continental - hope to go out this year and see him this time. Sometimes you have to travel to see the bands you want to see, sometimes you want to just see new places. I found that people in the states have amazing gig etiquette; no pushing in, everyone was polite and super enthusiastic, a real level of respect for one another that definitely gets lost here (only sometimes, though). Anyway, looking forward to the shows and potentially meeting some DBT fans on the trip!

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Blind Terry wrote:Never been one for message boards but I was checking out to see if anyone else was going to make the Euro trip from England - what a nice surprise to find this community of people willing to travel abroad for great music. So i joined the board!

Myself and my Dad are going to be making the trip to Amsterdam and Antwerp (we're from Brighton). Just booked our flights this morning with Easyjet and only got £100 for both of us! A steal.

In regards to travelling for shows, I find it definitely adds to the experience. In May we went to Texas to see Hayes Carll and the Turnpike Troubadours, caught shows from the Whiskey Sisters, Slaid Cleaves and Bob Schneider, too. Unfortunately, after travelling for 18 hours we were beat and missed James McMurtry's show at the Continental - hope to go out this year and see him this time. Sometimes you have to travel to see the bands you want to see, sometimes you want to just see new places. I found that people in the states have amazing gig etiquette; no pushing in, everyone was polite and super enthusiastic, a real level of respect for one another that definitely gets lost here (only sometimes, though). Anyway, looking forward to the shows and potentially meeting some DBT fans on the trip!

Welcome on board. You should introduce yourself to everyone in the newbies thread as well.

That's an impressive trip to Texas, quite jealous as most of those guys are on my to see list.

Most of the people who've posted in the thread will be on the rail at the gigs/at the front of the queue so introduce yourself - we are suprisingly friendly :D See you in May unless you're planning on coming to HC.

Blind Terry

Post by Blind Terry »

dogstar wrote:Welcome on board. You should introduce yourself to everyone in the newbies thread as well.

That's an impressive trip to Texas, quite jealous as most of those guys are on my to see list.

Most of the people who've posted in the thread will be on the rail at the gigs/at the front of the queue so introduce yourself - we are suprisingly friendly :D See you in May unless you're planning on coming to HC.

Hey thanks man. Yeah it was wild. We didn't plan anywhere to stay, just had tickets to a show at Stubbs in Austin and one at JT Floores in Helotes, then we hit the road. We're planning another one as we want to see Robert Earl Keen out there and I've been wanting to see Chris Knight for a long time, so hoping he can catch him too. Did it on the cheap, too; got flights for £350 each, which i think is pretty reasonable to get all that way. Anyway, cheers for the welcome!

JamieUKuku

Post by JamieUKuku »

hey, first post but felt i ought to throw my hat into the ring on this one.

got my tickets for manchester in may and in the rock n roll holiday theme of this thread for all 3 nights of the homecoming next month. it'll be my second homecoming, last time round in 2012 - missed last year courtesy of my then newly born daughter. if last time round is anything to go by its gonna be a great trip.

let there be rock.

hungoverdrawn

Post by hungoverdrawn »

Also thinking - well, pending spousal approval (however begrudging) - of doing multiple dates on this tour, seeing as I haven't had a DBT fix since May 2011 at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. Thinking I would do the Glasgow / Manchester / London. Although I seldom post here, would love to meet some like-minded gentlemen and ladies! :)
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine, I get 10 miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

JamieUKuku wrote:hey, first post but felt i ought to throw my hat into the ring on this one.

got my tickets for manchester in may and in the rock n roll holiday theme of this thread for all 3 nights of the homecoming next month. it'll be my second homecoming, last time round in 2012 - missed last year courtesy of my then newly born daughter. if last time round is anything to go by its gonna be a great trip.

let there be rock.

Hey JamieUKuku Myself and my brood will be Athens also so come on over and make your self known :) Great to see more of Us UK HeAthens :)

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

hungoverdrawn wrote:Also thinking - well, pending spousal approval (however begrudging) - of doing multiple dates on this tour, seeing as I haven't had a DBT fix since May 2011 at the Shepherd's Bush Empire. Thinking I would do the Glasgow / Manchester / London. Although I seldom post here, would love to meet some like-minded gentlemen and ladies! :)

Hey come on over and introduce yourself...Always welcome fellow HeAthens :D

JamieUKuku

Post by JamieUKuku »

loopyhelsbells wrote:
JamieUKuku wrote:hey, first post but felt i ought to throw my hat into the ring on this one.

let there be rock.

Hey JamieUKuku Myself and my brood will be Athens also so come on over and make your self known :) Great to see more of Us UK HeAthens :)

Loopyhelsbells, thanks I'll do that. I'll be in town with my mate Rog and his two lads from sometime Monday night to properly take it all in for a few days before the shows start and will be catching up with a few pals from last time round as well. Look forward to seeing you.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Looking forward to these shows! Uncle Rickey and I are in for all 6 and are gradually making arrangements. Thanks for the advice on the travel plans, it is much appreciated, especially when going overseas. Some of you on here are already friends of ours, I look forward to meeting new friends in May!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Homecoming out of the way...Full attention to this round..Yipee :)

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Homecoming out of the way...Full attention to this round..Yipee :)

srv

Post by srv »

Now having returned from the Home Coming fix, have now completed all travel arrangements for all the Euro gigs but Dublin.Plus a couple of other gigs, that will be 7 gigs in 8 days then Jason Isbell is here the following week!.