How many would pay for a stream per year?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DiamondDave

How many would pay for a stream per year?

Post by DiamondDave »

DBT....stream of every show each year.

What would be a reasonable price?

Per show?
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: How many would pay for a stream per year?

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Not sure I would, especially considering that Jimmy Buffett streams all of his shows for free via Radio Margaritaville. Cool idea though.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not sure I would, especially considering that Jimmy Buffett streams all of his shows for free via Radio Margaritaville. Cool idea though.

so is Jimmy Buffett more valuable than DBT?

i always found it funny that a record retails for the same price, regardless of the artist or production costs. a movie, too.

books, plays, concerts, etc don't work that way.

Kudzu Guillotine

tinnitus photography wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Not sure I would, especially considering that Jimmy Buffett streams all of his shows for free via Radio Margaritaville. Cool idea though.

Not sure but surely the DBTs have flirted with the idea of a commercially available stream and/or downloads of shows and have never gone that route. My point was that Buffett is the only artist I can think of that regularly streams his concerts and he doesn't charge a dime for it and never has.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
tinnitus photography wrote:

Not sure but surely the DBTs have flirted with the idea of a commercially available stream and/or downloads of shows and have never gone that route. My point was that Buffett is the only artist I can think of that regularly streams his concerts and he doesn't charge a dime for it and never has.

but the question is, regardless of what other people do - what would you pay for a DBT stream service?

Kudzu Guillotine

tinnitus photography wrote:but the question is, regardless of what other people do - what would you pay for a DBT stream service?

The question is, "How many would pay for a stream per year?" My answer is, considering I can hear artists like Buffett stream concerts for free, I doubt I would pay anything for it.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

KG, I'm not following you here. If you wouldn't pay for a DBT stream, that's fine, that's your choice and your calculation of cost/benefit. But not paying because Buffett doesn't make you pay? I don't get that. If the guy on the corner is selling pizza for a buck and the guy on the next block is giving away eggplant for free and you love pizza and hate eggplant, what are you going to have for lunch?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

How many other artists stream every concert they perform and what do they charge?

ccollum92

Post by ccollum92 »

A soundboard stream of every rock show every year? I'd pay whatever they chose to charge probably haha

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I would not pay for a stream, too unreliable and I'm not thrilled with the audio quality of most streams. However, I would pay for aftershow downloads, especially in flac format or another loseless format.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

I would not pay for a stream, too unreliable and I'm not thrilled with the audio quality of most streams. However, I would pay for aftershow downloads, especially in flac format or another loseless format.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

brett27295 wrote:I would not pay for a stream, too unreliable and I'm not thrilled with the audio quality of most streams. However, I would pay for aftershow downloads, especially in flac format or another loseless format.

I shouldn't speak for the original poster, but i think the assumption/implication is that if the streams came directly from the band the reliability and quality issues would be solved.

KG, I think what you're saying is that the current market for unlimited live streams is small and free. But that doesn't really address the question. In a sense, the market for every band is unique. Yeah, it matters what the competition is doing up to a point, but not really, because bands are not perfectly substitutable. There was no such thing as VIP tickets for concerts until the Eagles (I think) started doing it. The market up until that point did not include either the concept of VIP tickets or the prices that went along w/ them but they did it and people bought 'em. Same thing w/ $100 concert tickets. Unheard of until the Eagles or Stones (can't remember) decided to try it and lo and behold, people (or at least enough people) bought 'em. But OTOH, that sure doesn't prove that the Truckers could sell out even the 40 Watt at $100 per ticket.

That Jimmy Buffett streams are free is some evidence of what the market for DBT streams would be, but not a whole lot.

I myself would pay something for either unlimited high quality streams or more limited packages of a set number of shows or a set time period, but I'm not sure how much "something" is. I know I'd pay $5 for unlimited streams and that I wouldn't pay $100, so somewhere towards the lower end of that range is the right number for me. I'd also probably pay a buck or 2 per show for a limited number of shows as long as i got to pick the shows.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I'd probably pay $100 per year for the ability to stream any/all rock shows. I might even pay more than that. If we're talking individual shows, I'd probably pay $10 per show.
If you don't run you rust

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I don't think I would pay anything for audio. Video, I might consider paying $5 or so for an "event" show (Homecoming, NYE, etc).
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh, yeah, i guess I assumed we were talking video. I'd pay for audio only, but less.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

would def pay for video. i woulda paid 50 bucks for the tabernacle show from 2005!!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I am an old fart. I'm usually asleep when streams happen so I don't think I'd participate.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I am an old fart. I'm usually asleep when streams happen so I don't think I'd participate.

I thought you old farts "participated in streams" several times a night.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Duke Silver wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:I am an old fart. I'm usually asleep when streams happen so I don't think I'd participate.

I thought you old farts "participated in streams" several times a night.

:lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Jimmy Buffet?

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I wouldn't be interested in an annual membership service but I'd love the opportunty to purchase SBD's of certain shows. I believe its livedownload.com but a lot of bands are offering up sbd downloads a day or two after the show.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Oh boy! Kudzu's gonna lose his shit.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

mark lynn wrote:Jimmy Buffet?

is he a musician or somethin'?

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:

He's better known as a restauranteur and inventor of the eponymous "buffet".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:

he's a pirate... a few hundred years too late
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

Personally I like the idea of individual shows better than streaming, the reason being is that the bulk of my music listening is done in the car so I need to be able to take it with me. I'm a big fan of the way the Allman Brothers Band utilyzes the Instant Live service, you basically pay $20 before or during the show and line up afterwards and get a cased copy usually 2 disks of the show you just saw. I typically will buy one of ever Allman Brothers show I see and since I'm closing in on 50 shows you can do the math as to what that translates out to in $$$$.

psychobillycadillac

Post by psychobillycadillac »

and for the record I've seen Jimmy Buffet 5 times and can collectively remember one show. That parking lot can do a number on your sobriety. :shock:

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Clams wrote:I'd probably pay $100 per year for the ability to stream any/all rock shows. I might even pay more than that. If we're talking individual shows, I'd probably pay $10 per show.

That's about where my head is too....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Uh oh. Will you still feel that way, ramonz, after you get finished paying royalties to clams?

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Not to be crass, but this really sounds like a thread title for a urology message board!

By stream do we mean the ability to listen to shows once while they are played live or would the "stream" include the ability to access shows after they are played. That would make a big difference for me. I have listened to some "big" shows (Homecoming) when they are streamed, but I don't think I could stay up late enough, often enough to make a one-time stream of all shows worthwhile.