5/13/2014 London, England

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Re: 5/13/2014 London, England

Post by CooleyGirl »

Fabulous show! The guys continue to amaze me night after night. I was particularly happy to hear Pulaski & Play it all Night Long. 18 wheels was also a nice surprise. That song holds a special place in my heart as it's the one I recall that caught my ear (as Craig used to say) years before we ever saw a DBT show.

Not only have these shows been stellar, but the friends we've made over the years, as well as the new ones we're making on this trip, are just so special. I adore this community. Where else can you travel to see a band & meet up with about 25 like minded people who genuinely care about each other as well as the band? It's like traveling with your best friends.

The group keeps expanding, too. Tonight before the show we saw a guy wearing a Mike & the Moonpies hat. UR & I were shocked as we had just seen that band in Austin in Dec. & didn't think they were well known. We introduced ourselves & learned that the gentleman (his name is Jarno) is from Finland! We got to talking & learned he had never seen DBT & had flown to London just to see this one show! He's going back to Finland tomorrow! We spoke for quite a while, introduced him to the gang, & he fit in like a glove with the rest of us. It was really cool & just 1 example of how special this community is.

UR was able to catch a pic & gave it to Jarno. Sian gave me the most amazing compliment at the end of the night. She said that UR & I are the most welcoming , helpful & laid back people. She said we're like Craig in that we're like fan ambassadors. I was so humbled to hear that. I can't think of a higher compliment or a better way to honor my "big brother."
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Bollocks

walthers

Post by walthers »

"Fan ambassadors". I like that. Well done, sounds like a great adventure. I appreciate you all keeping is at home posted, it is fun to check on on and obsess about!

linkous

Post by linkous »

Howlinwolf wrote:Bollocks

small?
tiny?
sore?
sweaty?

hungoverdrawn

Post by hungoverdrawn »

Added to setlist.fm: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/drive-by- ... 35af9.html

Thanks for keeping score, Uncle Rickey. It was a shorter set than either Glasgow or Manchester, so I'm doubly glad I made the effort to travel for those shows. That said I think 18-20 songs is pretty much par for the course - certainly in the UK at least - but we must have had something like 40 unique songs over the course of the three days. Not many bands I know put in that kind of effort. Plenty just play the exact same setlist night after night on a tour. I think us Truckers fans, we happy few, should consider ourselves pretty lucky.

And I'd like to echo what CooleyGirl said about the community. It's been a real pleasure to put faces to usernames. I've had a great three days, and it was all the better for meeting you lot.
I got 350 heads on a 305 engine, I get 10 miles to the gallon, I ain't got no good intentions.

linkous

Post by linkous »

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Video shot by a friend that was at Tuesday night's show. There should be more to come.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

linkous wrote:http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/drive-truckers-shepherds-bush-empire

One person's "aquiline and imperious" is another's "insurance salesman." :o

"Bullshit - free."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

A couple of youtube vids from the show (by Daniel Peiken).

Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

beantownbubba wrote:
linkous wrote:http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/drive-truckers-shepherds-bush-empire

One person's "aquiline and imperious" is another's "insurance salesman." :o

"Bullshit - free."

Yeah that is one weird review.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

The band kicked it up even a couple of notches in London compared to Manchester imo. Since I only did those two shows on this tour, the first one will be the reference for the second one. CG and UR has already pointed some songs that stood out, but that Zip City may have topped the other 7-8 times I've heard it played live. And Grand Canyon!! Grown men around me with tears in their eyes. What a way to end the show. Stunning!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Very nice night in London. This is my most-visited venue in Europe. Had some highlights and firsts, especially the back-to-back three songs of:
Box of Spiders
Pulaski
Play It All Night Long

It was so aweosme. Actually Lucas said he wants "All Night Long" before the show when we talked, and I joined him, cause never saw it before. Was excited when it happened. Also I saw 18 Wheels of Love for the first time.

We hoped Isbell will get on stage with them, cause we knew he was there. I saw him with Amanda the day after, talked and had fun. So got a bit of Isbell too this DBT week. He knows me by name now after meeting last November in Europe. He and Amanda both. Love them. I told him I might do a US trip this fall and considering The Ryman, and he told me to let him know if I'm coming and he'll get me on the guest list. I was like "Wow, thank you so much, will totally let you know!" :)

Anyway, it was good seeing the pics of Jason with them backstage, smiling and all. Good for them.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TruckerTomer wrote: he told me to let him know if I'm coming and he'll get me on the guest list.

IOW, you're going to the ryman, right? :D

Damn, for a guy who lives a million miles from anywhere related to rock n roll, you sure do get around :D :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

lennieh

Post by lennieh »

When introducing Pauline Hawkins, Paterson said it was inspired by a character in a book he read that blew his mind, did anyone catch what it was called (sounded like Free?) and who by?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

lennieh wrote:When introducing Pauline Hawkins, Paterson said it was inspired by a character in a book he read that blew his mind, did anyone catch what it was called (sounded like Free?) and who by?

Willy Vlautin The Free

Willy's a band leader himself with Richmond Fontaine and his new band the Delines
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

lennieh

Post by lennieh »

Great thanks, actually just found it, there is a note at the bottom of the lyrics on the DBT site.

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Jason and Amanda were with us on the balcony and I kept hoping that he had disappeared down stairs but it wasn't to be..Had a fabulous night and Ols had the time of his life..What teenage boy wouldn't having Amanda Shires rocking out with him! Haha
It's Great To Be Alive........

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

Jason and Amanda were with us on the balcony and I kept hoping that he had disappeared down stairs but it wasn't to be..Had a fabulous night and Ols had the time of his life..What teenage boy wouldn't having Amanda Shires rocking out with him! Haha
It's Great To Be Alive........