English Oceans Discussion Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: English Oceans Discussion Thread

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Markalanbishop wrote:Lean and mean. Fucking love it.

Don't know where to stick this so I'll just say that if this article isn't grist for the DBT songwriting mill I don't know what is.
http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmak ... table=true

Severed heads? Wrong Elvis:

The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Hearing Jimmy Loud is top shelf. Too many "Cooleyisms" to count in a couple of listens. This and Primer Coat are different, but share a new vibe from anything DBT lately. This is one kick ass song that will definitely rock live. 11 more new songs to hear (minus some of the live previews). It is going to be hard to keep a lid on this until March. Maybe we can get some secret samples in Athens in February!!!
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

well its about time for a new record.

\m/

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Listening to this song for the third time. Reminds me of The Velvet Underground.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote:Listening to this song for the third time. Reminds me of The Velvet Underground.

Well, it is about heroin.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Donkeys on heroin???? Sorry that was inappropriate.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Mr. Boh

Post by Mr. Boh »

i think you nerdz have to relax

and just get excited about a new DBT record

the shows are gonna rule

Hood/Cooley/EZ-B still fucking trucking

impressed by these guys and I go way back to the shit days.

Party On Wayne, Party On Garth.

DBT FOREVER YO.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Hell yea !!! :D

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Ok I broke down and listened to this Hearing Jimmy Loud too. Man that was a mistake. Now I'm about to die for this record to come out.

I love this song. Classic Cooley and a rocker on top of that.

But I'm having one problem. It keeps cutting me off at the "she's my baby and she knows it..." line. It goes back to that Psa about the station followed by the Dj talking about sending out his playlist. Then the song starts over. Anybody else running into this?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

beantownbubba wrote:
RevMatt wrote:Listening to this song for the third time. Reminds me of The Velvet Underground.

Well, it is about heroin.

Cocaine or meth.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Cole Younger wrote:Ok I broke down and listened to this Hearing Jimmy Loud too. Man that was a mistake. Now I'm about to die for this record to come out.

But I'm having one problem. It keeps cutting me off at the "she's my baby and she knows it..." line. It goes back to that Psa about the station followed by the Dj talking about sending out his playlist. Then the song starts over. Anybody else running into this?

X2
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Since the record is obviously already in the hands of radio folk I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before it leaks. I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to abstain this time.

Oh and speaking of announcing something way ahead of time, the trailer for the new Planet of the Apes movie debuts next week even though the movie doesn't hit theatres until July 14, 2014. Then again, I understand the movie business is quite different than the music one.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Since the record is obviously already in the hands of radio folk I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before it leaks. I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to abstain this time.

Oh and speaking of announcing something way ahead of time, the trailer for the new Planet of the Apes movie debuts next week even though the movie doesn't hit theatres until July 14, 2014. Then again, I understand the movie business is quite different than the music one.

Most folks here had TBTD in their hands about six weeks to a month before the release date if my memory is correct. That is about the time most reviewers get the mp3 or mp4 (or whatever format gets passed around.) GGB, however, leaked early and its leak was a security breach. It was in people's hands here around Thanksgiving when the release date was in Feb or March. Interesting thing was that people here got super excited upon hearing GGB and the early leak helped create a buzz around that record. In terms of sales and radio airplay, GGB is the band's most successful album. Leaking it early to the uber fans who were going to buy the vinyl and cd's anyway turned out to be a pretty good strategy even if it was unintentional. Here We Rest also leaked a few months early, albeit with a different running order than the final release. I ended up buying that record in two different formats as well.

Can't wait for the new Planet of The Apes. My kids and I loved the first one that came out a year or so ago. We were rooting for the apes.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

ChrisGravity

Post by ChrisGravity »

Cole Younger wrote:Ok I broke down and listened to this Hearing Jimmy Loud too. Man that was a mistake. Now I'm about to die for this record to come out.

I'm also having the same problem, except I can't get passed the DJ lady.

linkous

Post by linkous »

ChrisGravity wrote:

I'm also having the same problem, except I can't get passed the DJ lady.

Plays fine for me , and has done on each of the half dozen times I have played it over the last two days.

rlipps

Re: New Record Discussion

Post by rlipps »

Rogermexico wrote:According to Steven Hyden, who has long been a fan of the band its "LOTS of Cooley. (He wrote about 1/2 the LP.) Sounds murky & lo fi. Choruses are subliminal. An after hours record."

https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/status ... 0654362624

Asked him on Twitter today what he thought about the album since he'd had a few weeks to listen and he said he really liked it, probably his favorite since BTCD.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

RevMatt wrote:Can't wait for the new Planet of The Apes. My kids and I loved the first one that came out a year or so ago. We were rooting for the apes.

The CD version of Gil Scott-Heron's First Minute of a New Day has two extra tracks, a really sweet demo of Winter in America and a long cut of Gil just talking to the audience:

It's all great stuff, but the part relevant to your comment starts at 5:30.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rogermexico

Re: New Record Discussion

Post by Rogermexico »

rlipps wrote:
Rogermexico wrote:According to Steven Hyden, who has long been a fan of the band its "LOTS of Cooley. (He wrote about 1/2 the LP.) Sounds murky & lo fi. Choruses are subliminal. An after hours record."

https://twitter.com/Steven_Hyden/status ... 0654362624

Asked him on Twitter today what he thought about the album since he'd had a few weeks to listen and he said he really liked it, probably his favorite since BTCD.

I would take that as a very good sign.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I must be the only person who likes Primer Coat better.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:I must be the only person who likes Primer Coat better.

After repeated listens of both, I think I agree with you

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

the guitar solo to the 2nd song sounds like me trying to play while I'm drunk.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

No, I think I like Primer Coat better, too. I think it's more about where I am in life, personally, right now.

That said, I'm liking "Hearing Jimmy Loud" more and more each listen. Either way, I'm dying to get my hands on this record. Real talk.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I like both songs a lot. But early on I'm liking Hearing Jimmy Loud a little better just because it has a more upbeat feel to it and is a bit catchier. But a month from now I may like Primer Coat better. I certainly identify with Primer Coat in a serious way.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:the guitar solo to the 2nd song sounds like me trying to play while I'm drunk.

sounds like me sober :oops:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

Zip City is always right. He can play guitar better than Cooley and Hood. His new album drops next year :lol: hes what you call a douche bag

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip could find something bad about a wet dream.
In a righteous world, this record would put DBT on the cover of every music mag there is (and possibly Time). Atleast grant the exposure Southeastern did for Isbell.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

the guitars on HJL kinda surprised me, too. the song seems to be begging for a greasy, 3DD-style slide part, but everyone's mashing on chords until cooley solos. it's not a bad thing--it's actually kinda cool--just not what i've come to expect from dbt.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Jimmy definitely threw me for a loop.

I need to spend more time with it.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

yeah, i only heard it one and a half times, now the clip just keeps looping at about 1:00.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

dbtfan4life wrote:Zip City is always right. He can play guitar better than Cooley and Hood. His new album drops next year :lol: hes what you call a douche bag

I can't find the like button on the 3DD.