It really IS a 26 mile drive

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tyler
Site Admin

It really IS a 26 mile drive

Post by Tyler »

http://goo.gl/maps/rJCp5

26.1 to be exact, from the Salem Church of Christ in Zip City, AL, to what seems to be more or less the center of Colbert Heights, AL.

Rocky

Re: It really IS a 26 mile drive

Post by Rocky »

Reason # 187 why I love this website / fanbase. Thanks Tyler.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

That's literally a marathon trip....well other than the missing .1
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

The past two Christmases, on my way from Virginia to Memphis, I've stopped off in Zip City and then made the drive to Colbert Heights; however, I've failed to check the odometer. Now I've got an excuse to drag the whole family back in December.

My dad is a retired firefighter, and I'd love to get a tee-shirt or something from the Zip City Fire Department one day, but both times I've stopped no one has been there. If you've ever noticed my 3DD profile picture is of my son and me outside of the Zip City FD!

Didn't Cooley once say, "sometimes y'all are a little too obsessed," or something to that degree. Would that apply here????

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I'd love to have a good excuse to go down there sometime...plot sort of the "grand tour" route...Zip City, Wilson Dam, Muscle Shoals Sound, etc.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Shouldn't it figured from the absolute end of Colbert Heights (facing the direction of Zip City) rather than the middle?
I digress.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:The past two Christmases, on my way from Virginia to Memphis, I've stopped off in Zip City and then made the drive to Colbert Heights; however, I've failed to check the odometer. Now I've got an excuse to drag the whole family back in December.

My dad is a retired firefighter, and I'd love to get a tee-shirt or something from the Zip City Fire Department one day, but both times I've stopped no one has been there. If you've ever noticed my 3DD profile picture is of my son and me outside of the Zip City FD!

Didn't Cooley once say, "sometimes y'all are a little too obsessed," or something to that degree. Would that apply here????

http://www.prepsportswear.com/productli ... d=zip+city

http://www.mylocker.net/alabama/florenc ... -tanks.htm
If you don't run you rust

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

As much as I love DBT I don't think I'd travel to Zip City or Colbert Heights if I didn't have another reason to be in the Shoals area. Athens, GA, on the other hand, is one of the greatest rock and roll towns going. I keep trying to move there.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Way back when this was 9b, someone calculated the cost of the 26 mile drive at ten miles to the gallon based on the current gas prices in north alabama. May have been one of the moments that hooked me on this place.
Beebs is not a ragey man

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Tyler wrote:I'd love to have a good excuse to go down there sometime...plot sort of the "grand tour" route...Zip City, Wilson Dam, Muscle Shoals Sound, etc.

You should, just make a trip when DBT or Isbell is playing in town. I went down for the "Siren's" release show (and was mostly surprised it was only about a 6 hour drive from Cincinnati). I had a great time, met a lot of great folks, and took some time just driving around the area. I didn't make it to Zip City, but I did run into some other pretty cool things as well. I'd like to make it back sometime, but it hasn't been in the cards.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Yea, that's about the excuse I need. Closer to 12 hours for me so I'd really need to catch about 3 shows in the region for it to be worthwhile, kinda like how I was able to tack on the Dexateens show in B'ham before the Athens shows this year.

wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

You can do it just to say you've done it I guess, but there is absolutely nothing to see in either community.