DBT Albums: Week 12 The Big To Do

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dogstar

DBT Albums: Week 12 The Big To Do

Post by dogstar »

The Big To-Do is the Truckers’ eighth studio album (and their first for ATO Records) and was released on March 16, 2010. The songs for the album were recorded over three blocks of sessions in 2009 (ten days in January, five days in March, and ten days in May) resulting in 25 songs. The band decided to split these tracks between The Big To-Do and its follow-up Go-Go Boots but as with many siblings they couldn’t be more different.

Apparently Shonna came up with the name while the band were recording BTCD and while it wasn’t appropriate for that album Patterson liked the idea and filled it away for future use. The name refers to the circus; Patterson has stated that the rock show is the modern day equivalent of the circus. The packaging for the album features various vignettes from the circus created by Wes Freed.

The line-up that recorded the album

With David Barbe on production duties.

As the record is the only Truckers album I currently own on Vinyl (and was the last thing I bought from Craig) I’m going to take you through it side by side. So here’s my random musings on The Big To Do.
(NOTE)If you click on the song titles they should take you to the Track of the Week discussion thread.

Side 1 – WE WANTED TO DO A ROCK ALBUM SINCE THE LAST ONE WAS SO SWAMPY

1 Daddy learned to Fly

2 Fourth night of my drinking

3 Birthday Boy

From the first discordant chords of Daddy Learned to Fly to the final notes of Birthday Boy side one ROCKS, as Patterson said in an interview The Big To-Do is very much a rock album. Very melodic and more rocking than anything since disc 2 of Southern Rock Opera.

The album starts with Daddy learned to Fly a song about the loss of a father. I love the harmony vocals that mimic the nagging guitar hook and the way Jay’s keys emerge in the third verse. This is the one song from this album that I would love to see live and would I imagine be a great show opener.

Next up is Fourth Night. Whenever I hear this song I speculate what happened to the guy in the song before the binge begins, has he just broken up with the woman whose house he’s waving the stick at or has something else happened to him. Musically as Revmatt pointed out in the track of the week thread the way the song is structured is really clever with the breaks between the verses becoming longer and more demented, Neff’s slide guitar playing combined with Jays horror movie organ part really suggest someone sinking like a stone. As I was finishing this article off it also occurred to me that this song might also be a political allegory about the US economy binging on debt and the financial collapse that occurred just before the album was recorded.

The last song on the side is Birthday Boy. Brought late to the party by Cooley it was the last track cut for the record and was included after the band had mastered the record. The lyrics seem to tie into the story of the character in Fourth Night, was Miss Trixie the source of the lipstick streaks, is the character in Fourth Night the guy who had it all and now it’s broke?

Intermission #1

They say you never forget your first time. I actually can’t remember the first time I came across the Truckers but I can sure remember the second time and here it is (the first time was the clip of Birthday Boy above)

There’s also this clip too from the same show, which always puts a smile on my face.

I’ve never been quite sure what hooked me but as I found more out about the band and their back catalogue the more I got dragged in. Some of the key things were:
• The band had a large back catalogue to explore and I remembered that SRO had great reviews when it came out but I had never taken the plunge.
• Patterson’s dad played in the Swampers.
• Two of my favourite compilations albums were
ImageImage

Side 2 – UNLEASH THE FUNK

1 Drag the lake Charlie

2 The Wig he made her Wear

3 You got another

The side starts where side one left of with Drag the Lake, which is one of Patterson’s southern gothic tales. I love the fact that the details and back story of the events that have happened aren’t sketched out in too much detail leaving the listener to fill in the blanks. It’s got a guitar sound that like a kazoo and it’s got handclaps. HANDCLAPS.

The Wig He Made Her Wear starts with a laugh and the nagging guitar riff starts and then EZB unleashes on of his loosest, funkiest grooves. The best part though is the interplay between Cooley and Neff’s guitar parts which weave around the central guitar riff. Apparently the version on the album was the first take they recorded.

And then we get to You Got Another. This song is unique in the whole DBT canon, being a piano led piece and is also I think the finest recording they’ve ever done. I would love to know who arranged the song but the way it builds from simple piano to the full on wall of sound at the end is astonishing. Patterson says in his commentary on this song that it reminds him of ‘Kangaroo’ by Big Star and I can think of no higher praise.

Side 3 – HARD TIMES AND WONKY TEETH

1 This Fucking Job

2 Get Downtown

3 Girls who smoke

4 After the scene dies

Side three is where the songs get more political, with a small p. Two songs about the struggles of the working man plus a song about businesses shutting down. And a song about watching English girls at a festival.

This Fucking Job is just a big dumb pop song with a catchy chorus.

The genius of Get Downtown is the two voices that Cooley employs to tell the tale. For me it’s just another one of Cooley’s fast rockers (especially when they play it live) but with a great rockabilly guitar solo.

Girls Who Smoke is the only song in the DBT canon that has a co-writing credit for Patterson and Cooley. It’s a song written while the band were sitting on their bus trying to get away from the V Festival in Staffordshire in the UK. Opening lines always remind me of the Simpsons

[image] http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... vSCne2A7dA[/image]

After the Scene Dies is Patterson’s lament for all the small clubs across the US that shutting down. Again I think this is also about the hard time small businesses were being hit by the financial crisis at the time this was written.

Intermission #2

As I’ve already stated above the band went into the studio with the intention of creating a rock album rather. Plus the band had learnt a lot from working on Potato Hole with Booker T. As Patterson stated I think working with Booker really influenced The Big To-Do. Booker’s album being all instrumental taught us a lot of how to nuance things musically in ways that really paid off when we started writing our new one. it made us all better players also.

The other thing that contributed to the sound of the album was that Cooley came to the party with less songs than he wanted. Because of this he decided that he would be player on everybody else's songs while still trying to come up with my own thing

And then we get to the recruitment of ‘Secret Weapon’ Jay Gonzalez. Whilst the band had worked with Spooner Oldham on Brighter Than Creations Dark the recruitment of Jay gave the band access to a further pallet of sounds that they would use to great effect, plus I think his pop sensibilities can be heard throughout the album. The other change he brought about was the addition of keyboards meant that the guitarists had to leave space for him to play in, which resulted in a much more layered sound.

Side 4 – THE BIG FIZZLE OUT

1 It’s gonna be I told you so

2 Santa Fe

3 The Flying Wallendas

4 Eyes Like Glue

Shonna’s second song on the album is (It’s Gonna Be) I Told You So. I love the way this one starts with a ‘skysaw’ guitar sound – guess that would be Neff - and then the slide guitar comes in to take the solo and add additional colour. There’s also some great backing vocals (by Cooley?) on this one.

Santa Fe is probably the main reason why I will miss Neff. As well as being one of my favourite Patteron songs the pedal steel playing on this elevates the song to a whole new level.

And then for me the album just peters out.

The Flying Wallendas does nothing for me at all – this is just one of Patterson’s songs that doesn’t work for me. Plus some of the rhymes feel a bit clunky.

Eyes Like Glue whilst a fine song shouldn’t be placed at the end of the album, although I can’t work out where it should have been placed – maybe it would be more at
home on GGB with Pulaski and Cartoon Gold. It feels like they placed the song here to act as a bookend with Daddy Learned to Fly as both songs are about fathers but it just feels so out of place after everything that’s gone before. Plus I think they needed to at least have the same number of Cooley songs as Shonna’s songs (at least before Cooley delivered Birthday Boy).

So there you have it. Overall I think this is the best recording the band have ever done, Barbe did a fantastic job of integrating all the ideas the band had into a coherent whole. For me the thing that stops it being a great album is the last two songs – they let the energy of the album dissipate rather than holding the energy right to the end.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

cortez the killer

Re: DBT Albums: Week 12 The Big To Do

Post by cortez the killer »

Excellent write-up, dogstar.

This album is incredibly uneven to my ears. That said, it does contain two of my absolute favorite DBT songs - "The Wig He Made Her Wear" & "After the Scene Dies."
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I love a good chunk of this album. I definitely don't think it was the big rock album the band envisioned. That one is still out there. Good write up. I liked the "vinyl" approach.

Top tier stuff:
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
When The Scene Dies
Santa Fe

solid:
Daddy Learned to Fly
You Got Aother
Get Downtown
Wig
Charlie
Fourth Night
Told You So

Skippers:
Wallendas
Glue

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

DTLC is a beast live.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

bovine knievel wrote:DTLC is a beast live.

Yup. There's a power to the live version that the studio doesn't quite match.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

some really great songs from those sessions.

some not so great.

most excellent write up, dogstar.
Last edited by dime in the gutter on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

This is a weird one for me. Definitely my least favorite but it contains a few of my favorite Trucker songs.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Clams

Post by Clams »

dogstar wrote:(NOTE)If you click on the song titles they should take you to the Track of the Week discussion thread.

^^^^ nice touch! Great write up.

Top shelf DBT: Birthday Boy, Forth Night of My Drinking, After the Scene Dies and Santa Fe.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Scene is one if my favorites in the DBT catalogue

I've never latched onto Santa Fe or Wig like most if y'all have
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Great Job dogstar! Very thorough.

This was the first DBT album I bought, and although it was the next one I got, SRO, that closed the deal for me I new almost from the first note of this album that I had found something interesting. I imediately liked the guitarsound(s) and Patterson's singing on the opening track.

I think my favorite songs, in no particular order, are:
Birthday Boy,
Drag the lake,
Fourth Night,
After the scene dies,

I don't agree about your comment about Eyes Like Glue and Wallendas. Love Jay's keys on Wallendas, and Eyes is a good Cooley song, maybe not top tier, but still a good one.

Interesting comment on this being their best recording. I believe GGB and BTCD also belongs here due to the atmosphere and ambience in some of the quieter more accoustic songs you find on those albums.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I've always wondered how TBTD could sound so different than GGB, when the tunes were recorded at the same time. Some have said the best songs culled from both could have/would have made a sick single album. I can't say I disagree, but I'm glad we have all of the songs out there.

Agree that it's a bit of an uneven album, with a handful of great songs (Birthday Boy, After the Scene Dies, Santa Fe, Daddy, Get Downtown, Fourth Night, Drag the Lake Charlie) and the rest either not-so-great or perhaps belonging on another DBT/solo album.

This one sounds different to me too. I don't know much about production, but there's a bit of a harshness/screechiness to TBTD that I don't hear on the more recent albums like GGB or BTCD (or really, any of them). There's a warmth to the others that I don't hear on TBTD - although I think I recall someone saying the vinyl sounds great.

Agree that the end fizzles a bit, but I'm very grateful for Santa Fe. And damned if DBT didn't get some good media exposure during this release (and GGB), and combined with the fantastic new songs we're hearing from from Cooley and Patterson's solo shows (plus Jason seeming to hit his stride musically and with the press), perhaps the stars are really aligning for the next record. Can't wait.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I think there is more of a dirty fuzz-sound in the guitars on this one as opposed to just tube-amp overdrive on the earlier albums. I think to some extent that was also the case on BTCD, but perhaps somewhat more on this one. I like it.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Great job, dogstar! Great idea on the SOTW links, too.

TBTD is a difficult album to get my ears around and this helps a lot. In part, I think my difficulties stem from my sky high expectations leading up to its release. Reading dogstar's post made me think for the first time in terms of GB and PD. I find those albums to be a bit frustrating - uneven material, many songs played much better live, etc, and voila! that's a lot of what i think about TBTD as well.

I continue to believe that "this fuckin job" should have gotten a lot more notice than it did at the time. I think it's more than a "big dumb pop song." But I have to admit that it's a bit short on a hook that would have taken it over the top and then there's the naughty word in the title - a totally DBT thing to do, but one not calculated to boost airplay.

Speaking of DBT type things, including "Girls Who Smoke" here reminds me that it is not on the cd release, a headscratching move if ever there was one. I had either forgotten or never realized the co-writing "twist;" good one dogstar.

"Drag the Lake Charlie" stands out for me on this album as a song that is much better live than on the album, or at least hearing it live made me appreciate the album version a lot more. And yeah, those handclaps, glad you mentioned those :) I guess I shouldn't be surprised in light of his many musical talents but I always notice that Jay perfectly reproduces those handclaps live while folks like me spaz out trying to get it right.

I'm too lazy to check but my sense is that "Birthday Boy" is a lot more popular among 3dders now than it was upon release. If I'm right, I assume live performance has made a big difference there as well.

I think "After the Scene Dies" and "Fourth Night of My Drinking" are 2 of Patterson's better songs. "Sante Fe" is another good one but would be perfect on Heat Lightning.

I agree w/ dogstar about the way the album ends (poorly) which may be another reason that it's not an automatic "go to" type album for me.

Excellent write up, dogstar.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:Scene is one if my favorites in the DBT catalogue

Add Girls Who Smoke to my list

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:

Which one?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Which one?

the list of songs that never clicked with me like it did for everyone else here.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice write up dogstar! At the time of it's release I said that You Got Another was my favorite track on the record, and oddly that's still almost true. It is by far Shonna's best original song as a DBT (only GGB's Eddie Hinton cover Where's Eddie is a better showing from her IMHO) but it really does not fit this record at all. It's gorgeous and the arrangement with it's soaring keys and subtle flourishes make it a great song, but a maybe it's not in the best place. What the hell do I know though? It really is a great song.

My other highlights are After The Scene Dies, Fourth Night, Drag The Lake, Daddy Learned To Fly, Girls Who Smoke and Wig all of which are really good live as well.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Oh yeah, "Daddy Learned to Fly" as an opener: How DBT is that? Musically, it's an ear catcher right out of the gate. Lyrically, ummmm, well, it may not be "The Deeper In" but I doubt that anyone other than DBT could take a song about a child eyed view of a parent's death and make it into a kick ass album opener.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Alsum write up.

My theory on "the big fizzle out" is that "It's Gonna Be I Told You So" breaks up the continuity of the sequencing. Take it out of the mix and it and "Santa Fe" and "The Flying Wallendas" are about the day to day life and career of a working rock band, a continuation of the train of thought that begins with "Girls Who Smoke" and "After The Scene Dies". Actually, the whole second half of the album starts with two songs that may reflect the day to day lives of the audience and is followed up by a series of songs about the life of musicians. But "I Told You So" removes the next two songs from that context. So "Santa Fe" is now a song about some guy who was supposed to meet his woman in Santa Fe but the bad weather meant she couldn't get a plane to that city and "The Flying Wallendas" is a song about a tight rope walker instead of a metaphor about life as a touring musician.

IMO, Patterson Hood is the best at sequencing an album. This is one area where he can -- though he is far too humble -- legitimately say that he is in Paul McCartney's league. However, it is a tight line and a single decision like putting "I Told You So" in between "After The Scene Dies" and "Santa Fe" created "The Big Fizzle Out". Even Tiger Woods misses a putt every now and then.

TBTD's initial vinyl pressing was defective and wasn't available to us until four months after the release date. That compounded "The Big Fizzle Out" because "Girls Who Smoke" was not included on the cd. If "I Told You So" was left off the cd I think the fans would have liked the record better or at least understood the logic of the sequencing. This is something I didn't realize until I listened to the vinyl. Also, the vinyl crunches a helluva lot more than the cd, especially on "Working This Job". I still think this record is the one with the biggest discrepancy between the vinyl and digital versions.

DBT fans will argue forever whether a single record of the best tracks from TBTD and GGB would have been the way to go. It is our equivalent to the debate whether or not The White Album would have been stronger as a single album.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Random thoughts on TBTD:

-Song for song, I think I prefer it to GGB. GGB has better mood, ambiance, and a handful of great songs, but TBTD flows better and has fewer skippers. It wasn't until GGB that I felt they were spreading themselves a bit thin, or that the quality control had slipped a little.

-I don't dislike The Flying Wallendas, but I kinda wish they'd done more with the circus theme across the whole album. It's in the artwork, liner notes, but then just one song. I know it's present in all the songs on some thematic, metaphorical level, but I'm talking about explicit circus references to really drive the point home. An instrumental based around the organ intro Jay used to play would've been cool...

-I wish the sludgy riff that opens DLTC live was more prominent on the album. It's there, but kinda buried in the mix.

-Girls Who Smoke should've been a HUGE hit.

-I saw more shows on this tour than on any other, and at every one they played I Told You So. I don't mind the song, but I've never seen a singer look as uncomfortable on stage as Shonna did when she performed that song. Thankfully, it's mercifully short.

-It's a testament to an amazing run of albums when a record with at least 5-6 all time classics and a bunch of solid tunes falls somewhere near the bottom of the band's catalog.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

beantownbubba wrote:I'm too lazy to check but my sense is that "Birthday Boy" is a lot more popular among 3dders now than it was upon release. If I'm right, I assume live performance has made a big difference there as well.

I remember there was a long, ongoing thread when The Big To Do came out where posters voted for their favorite song off this record and their least favorite (voting songs off the island so to speak) until Birthday Boy stood alone as 3DD'ers favorite song off TBTD. Does anyone else remember this?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:I'm too lazy to check but my sense is that "Birthday Boy" is a lot more popular among 3dders now than it was upon release. If I'm right, I assume live performance has made a big difference there as well.

I remember there was a long, ongoing thread when The Big To Do came out where posters voted for their favorite song off this record and their least favorite (voting songs off the island so to speak) until Birthday Boy stood alone as 3DD'ers favorite song off TBTD. Does anyone else remember this?

Yes. The dreaded song game. Don't encourage Clams.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rocky wrote:

:idea:
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

From Patterson-

Patterson Hood wrote:Hey TDD Gang,

Kudos on the great TBTD write up. Same with the others too.
Y'all really amaze me sometime and I'm very grateful to have such a wise and overall perceptive audience.
Now that it's finished and released, y'alls perceptions are far more important than mine, but thought I'd share a few thoughts with you.

When a baseball player walks up to the plate, he wants to knock it over the fence. Sometimes it happens, often not.
I think my band has a pretty good record on our consistency, but alas they don't all hit the lights.
To me TBTD could be argued as our most underrated album. It's not our best and it's not my favorite, but when I hear it now, it's always a little bit better than I remember it being.
Like A Blessing and a Curse, we were trying some different things and some worked, some I guess didn't.
I still like TBTD overall better than ABAAC, even though it never reaches the heights of World of Hurt, Gravity's Gone or Space City.

In the studio, making both TBTD and GGB was a blast. We got to apply the things we learned from working with Booker and I had a ton of songs that I was excited about.
Cooley, on the other hand was struggling with some serious writers block and just didn't have as many songs as he (and the rest of us) would have liked.
I have as much, or more fun recording and playing Cooley's songs as my own, which is why we still have this band after all these decades.
(I can't wait to make the next one, as he has some incredible songs to work with. I have some good ones too I think).
It was our first time in studio with Jay and he was a fountain of creative goodness, each and every day.
That guy is a treasure and we all know it.
Brad gets better every time and he's always full of great creative ideas.

I still don't regret dividing it into two albums. I tend to work thematically and it was definitely two different themes.
If I had it to do over, I might would trim a couple more off of GGB, but TBTD is kinda what it is. You can always turn it off after Santa Fe.
(I agree about Neff's playing on that one. Stellar!)

The Flying Wallendas is a song I was really super excited about, but as I said, some times things just don't connect with people.
It's not my job to disconnect myself from the songs, as my job is to create them and do my best to present them correctly.
That one was a heartfelt ode to a Grandmother I had never written about (Dad's mom in Sarasota) and as Rev Matt said, an allegory about this life we live and what we do.
It is a tightrope to us a lot of the time and it is also a family business.
It's a personal song so I stand by it. Most of our songs are personal, even if they appear to be written about someone else.
Same time, some songs connect and some don't.
I could probably say similar things about Eyes Like Glue. We put it at the end because there really wasn't another place to put it.
Putting it earlier caused too dramatic a shift in the mood and flow. Same time, as a Dad, it's an amazing song about fatherhood and deserved a spot on the album.

Girls Who Smoke was another quandary. I always had a soft spot for the song, but never felt like we got a good take in the studio.
I love playing it live now, but in the studio at that time, it was a low point. I was in favor of leaving it off because of that.
Thematically, it fit perfect, right where it went (on the vinyl sequence, which is honestly the only sequence I really care about) but I still get frustrated when I hear it.
At least one member hated it and that didn't help either.

The last minute addition of Birthday Boy was a game changer and day saver.
It's one of my favorite Cooley songs and is a great track on the album. Probably my favorite song on the album.
I shutter to think of the album without it and as y'all said, the album was already mastered when he wrote it and we went in, cut it, mixed it and mastered it into it after the fact.
Whew!

Speaking of mastering. Here is where the real problems with TBTD come in for me.
We never got it quite right.
Our usual guy (the almighty Greg Calbi, at Sterling) was booked up and we were in tight deadline so we went somewhere else.
It was a tumultuous job and I never felt like he 'got it'.
It's too crispy and compressed and it drives me crazy. (Y'all again nailed it when you mentioned "harshness" and "screechiness". )
Then the there was the vinyl, which was really a nightmare.
We fired the guy who did it first and found an "expert" who remastered it for vinyl.
There was a mistake, which to my everlasting regret, I didn't catch in time on the test pressing and we ended up manufacturing Thousands of defective records.
We pulled them, paid a fortune out of our pockets to redo it (It was My mistake in the end, as I didn't catch it in time).
This caused us not to have it on vinyl for several months and was a major expense and embarrassment for us/me.
It cost us a lot in momentum and sales.
The vinyl, once it came out does sound MUCH better than the CD.
ATO was very supportive, as was the manufacturer. We all did the best we could and vowed to get it right next time.
We did and I think GGB is our best sounding vinyl release sonically. (Heat Lightning maybe even better still).
Wait till you hear the next one!

All in all, I'm very proud of TBTD. Many of the songs make for highlights in our live show, which is our bread and butter and how we support our families.
Wes Freed outdid his self on the artwork (as did my sister who created the packaging).
We put more time and money into the art, cover, backdrops etc. of this album/tour than any before or after.
I could write a book on the troubles on that tour, which nearly broke us up and nearly bankrupted us, but we survived it and the finale in NYC at Terminal 5 with the Bindlestiff's is one of my favorite show memories of all time. Then two weeks later, we came back out with a brand new show, followed by a new album and another year of non-stop touring.
No wonder we're all a little crazy sometimes.

Again, I hope all of you have a great 4th and summer. Thanks for all the debate and love and support.
See You at The Rock Show!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Very interesting that the band was frustrated with the mastering. I think that explains some of the discrepancies between the power of the live versions on songs like 4th Night and Charlie, and their studio counterparts.

Always enjoy Patterson's take on this kind of stuff.

Also, the studio version of Girls Who Smoke rocks. I really love that song.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

When a baseball player walks up to the mound, he wants to knock it over the fence. Sometimes it happens, often not.
I think my band has a pretty good record on our consistency, but alas they don't all hit the lights.

Point well taken & completely understood. Whether you're a musician, a student, an athlete, a coach, a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer or whatever, when you are operating on the level The Truckers are at, the effort & intention is always there. However, there are countless factors (some within your control, some outside of it) that contribute to whether or not the finished product is great. If there's one thing you can say with absolute certainty about this band, it's the effort is off the charts.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Curious if the mp3 release is the CD masters or the Vinyl masters

Lew Ashby

Post by Lew Ashby »

So good to hear from Patterson.

At this point, I tend to appreciate what these albums are, as opposed to what they aren't.

I love the album from start to finish. Not saying I am the most objective, but I still enjoy listening to it now.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Of the two albums, I prefer TBTD over GGB. Love Girls Who Smoke, one of my favorites to see live, hoping to get the Birthday Boy/GWS double shot in Chattanooga on Thursday. Really enjoying these writeups, you guys are doing a fantastic job. Also enjoy Patterson's comments, really cool that he takes the time to do that and just another reason why I spend more time on here than pretty much any other website. Kudos to everyone involved, enjoying all the differing opinions.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Can one of the mods ask Mr. Hood if there are any marks that differentiate between the defective vinyl and the reissued vinyl?
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley