DBT Albums: Week 12 The Big To Do

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

linkous

Re: DBT Albums: Week 12 The Big To Do

Post by linkous »

Some thoughts at the time, with other folks comments after the article.

http://ninebullets.net/archives/the-dri ... -big-to-do
Last edited by linkous on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

linkous wrote:Some thoughts at the time

http://ninebullets.net/archives/the-dri ... -big-to-do

"I don’t think we’ll ever get another album like The Dirty South or its predecessors from the band and that’s okay. They’re not those people (or that band) anymore, and as people change and grow, so does their music."
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Passing it on from the man:

Y'all,
In regards to questions about TBTD vinyl issues.
I caught the mistake before the album was released so we pulled them before they went out (at least in USA). We paid out of our pockets to remanufacture them correctly. ATO was great and helped us a lot and I think even shouldered some of the cost in the end. I don't believe any got out there in USA. In Europe, we don't have nearly the amount of control as the albums are licensed to another label(s) depending on the country so I'm not sure what the status is. I know we did all we possibly could to insure that the ones going out were as good as could be, but some things are out of our hands.

As for the mastering issues, yes it IS too crispy and harsh. Much better on vinyl than CD but still not where I'd want it to be. The vocal on Get Downtown could indeed serve as an example, as Cooley sang that song on an old microphone for a certain sound and in the mixes it sounded great, but the mastering magnified the effect and that's where it stands.

Greg Calbi, from Sterling mastered GGB, BTCD, TDS and Heat Lightning. He is amazing and I told him the other day when he mastered the new reissue of Alabama Ass Whuppin' that he'd better not retire any time soon because we need him forever. He assured me that he would be there a long time. (He mastered all the great Dylan and Eno reissues and thousands of other great sounding records). We have already booked him to do the next DBT album.

Again, I hate it when things fall short of our (and your) expectations. We take every aspect of what we do very seriously and place great importance on making it right to the best of our abilities. Hope this answers the questions.

Long Live Rock!
Patterson

A Mighty Rumbling from the iPad

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Indeed, Long Live Rock!

And a sincere thank you to Patterson and Co for paying rock and roll the proper respect it deserves.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

gutshot

Post by gutshot »

I think the reason "Eyes Like Glue" stuck with me so easily was because when the album came out, my son was just entering that age...the age where they start paying attention and repeating what daddy says and does, whether it's good or bad. It was just perfect timing and I really latched onto that song.

"After The Scene Dies" has been my favorite track on the album from Day 1, but The Flying Wallendas was a close second. I'm surprised to see so many people label it as a skip-song. Maybe it's the slow-burner Pink Floyd fan in me...I don't know. I do know they burned the shit out of it the night the lights went out in Little Rock.
The sun, it rises one more time, and I'm still standing here.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Listening to the album for the first time in awhile

Re: The Wig He Made Her Wear

I'm wondering if Patterson ever considered making this a spoken word peace a la 3 Great Alabama Icons? Musically I dig it, though its not tightly structured, and melodically, its kinda flat. The lyrics are pretty journalistic, like someone in the back of the courtroom reporting the scene. Patterson doesn't pick sides.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

"Remastered Alabama Ass Whoopin'" - good news! See you July 4th Mr. Hood! Happy Birthday USA, indeed. Maybe time to revisit Aftermath USA. Just sayin'. No, I will not shout it out at the show (or any other suggestions, that would be crass).

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Is it strange to say that I'd like Santa Fe better if it was on Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:I've never cared for Drag The Lake Charlie. Some cool guitar work on it but it just falls flat as a song and then there are those hand claps.

I can't say that I've ever been all that bothered by the hand claps.

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Zip City wrote:Is it strange to say that I'd like Santa Fe better if it was on Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance?

I don't think so, there are a few songs on TBTD that would fit in thematically on HLRITD. If it was on Heat Lightning Neff probably wouldn't be on it though, which would be a crying shame.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I've never cared for Drag The Lake Charlie. Some cool guitar work on it but it just falls flat as a song and then there are those hand claps.

Don't mind the claps. It's a big messy rock song with some really good, and often funny, lyrics. Plus it's a beast live.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Daddy_played_poker

Post by Daddy_played_poker »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Don't mind the claps. It's a big messy rock song with some really good, and often funny, lyrics. Plus it's a beast live.

I'm a guitar lover so this one is a favorite. Patterson's intro riff, Neff's searing high part lead smothered with Cooley's swampy drop D (or is it drop C in DBT tuning?) slide. A good Patterson story with some humor that rocks live. The claps are funny.
"to love is to feel pain there ain't no way around it."

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

The hand claps weren't the deal breaker i just find them silly. I enjoy the Truckers' humor normally but that one just doesn't do anything for me.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:The hand claps weren't the deal breaker i just find them silly. I enjoy the Truckers' humor normally but that one just doesn't do anything for me.

I don't think I really even noticed the hand claps until someone mentioned them here.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:The hand claps weren't the deal breaker i just find them silly. I enjoy the Truckers' humor normally but that one just doesn't do anything for me.

I don't think I really even noticed the hand claps until someone mentioned them here.

They don't ruin my day I just don't like them.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Zip City wrote:Is it strange to say that I'd like Santa Fe better if it was on Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance?

beantownbubba wrote:
I think "After the Scene Dies" and "Fourth Night of My Drinking" are 2 of Patterson's better songs. "Sante Fe" is another good one but would be perfect on Heat Lightning.

What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

beantownbubba wrote:

beantownbubba wrote:
I think "After the Scene Dies" and "Fourth Night of My Drinking" are 2 of Patterson's better songs. "Sante Fe" is another good one but would be perfect on Heat Lightning.

Heat Lightning was the next set of songs Patterson wrote after TBTD/GGB sessions. Maybe "Santa Fe" was the catalyst that pointed him in that direction?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

My very first DBT song was "Birthday Boy." Someone put it on a mix tape for me and I listened to it for months before ever choosing to see if they had other stuff.

I really like this album. Unlike a lot of you, I don't dig "The Wig He Made Her Wear" a whole lot - I like the story, but not the song, I guess - but I love almost everything else. The bookends work for me quite a lot. You think "Eyes Like Glue" is going to be a sweet song, but it's darker than you know. In fact, a lot of the songs are like that. "Daddy Learned to Fly" is a sweet title but with a heartbreaking story. "You Got Another" is beautiful music with a sad story at the center. Even "Drag the Lake Charlie" seems silly and fun until you get to that "we never found that teenage girl" part.

I wasn't into "Girls who Smoke" at first. Then I saw it live. Holy shit, did that song turn around for me. Now it's one of my favorite studio tracks of theirs. Same deal with "Santa Fe." Just sad and sweet and perfect.

One of the reasons I like "Told You So" is because I think it fits with some of the other songs, sonically - "Get Downtown" and "Birthday Boy," specifically - which opens DBT up to pop music more than ever before. Whether that's good or bad is debatable, but knowing that they can do all types of music is exciting.

RoyHandcuff

Post by RoyHandcuff »

A great read. Thanks! My favorite DBT album. In my mind one of the greatest rock albums ever! Great songwriting and perfectly executed. Sounds a little "hot"/compressed but who gives a shit when you have masterpieces like "Daddy Learned", "First Night", "Birtday Boy", "Get Downtown", "After The Scene Dies", "Santa Fe", "Girls Who Smoke"...The list goes on. My life wouldn't be the same without it. Pure genius.
"Three guitars or a life of crime"

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Kevidently wrote:I really like this album.

Me, too.

Kevidently wrote:I wasn't into "Girls who Smoke" at first. Then I saw it live. Holy shit, did that song turn around for me.

Seeing it live did make the difference for me, too, with that and with "Get Downtown".

I've had this and Go-Go Boots on the main work machine lately. I never much cared for the one-CD idea myself, but when I heard Patterson musing on that possibility, I decided to take my shot at cutting them down to one. I'm not sure it's doable, but it seems like it should be. They're of a piece.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be