track of the week #118 - Margo and Harold

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

track of the week #118 - Margo and Harold

Post by Clams »

Creepy stuff.

I get the feeling that the protagonist in this song is also the protagonist in other Patterson songs. But I'm not sure which ones.

I don't want to go to dinner with Margo and Harold.
I don't like the way he looks at you, and the way she looks at me,
way they look at each other, like we're just part of some private joke.

I don't want to go dinner with Margo and Harold,
no matter how good the food.
I don't want to make small talk, innuendo,
or go for a ride in Harold's Corvette.

I'm scared of the basement of Harold's Pawn Shop,
I've heard tales of what goes down there.
Mid-life crises, high on Dilauded, Valium, and crystal meth.
Harold and Margo, feeling no pain
Fifty and crazy, big hair and cocaine.

If they call on the phone, tell them I'm not home.
That night with Margo was a long time ago.
It makes me nervous how much Harold knows,
and the way that he looks at you.

I don't want to see why Harold's now skinny.
I don't want to see Margo's bikini.
So if they call, tell them You ain't seen me or that I'm in too much pain.
Harold and Margo, taking aim, horny and loaded, big-hair and cocaine.
If you don't run you rust

Tyler
Site Admin

Re: track of the week #118 - Margo and Harold

Post by Tyler »

One of my favorite Patterson songs, great creepy vibe to it.

It's also apparently pretty much all true, and "Harold" really does own a pawnshop.

Here's a solo version with the backstory:

http://archive.org/download/phood2009-1 ... 08_vbr.mp3

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tyler wrote:One of my favorite Patterson songs, great creepy vibe to it.

It's also apparently pretty much all true, and "Harold" really does own a pawnshop.

Everybody likes to be immortalized in a song!

Good stuff Tyler. Thanks for posting that.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

one of the great songs ever put to tape. love how patterson says innuendo.

the "need service" bell is pure genius.

so many details to love about this song.

horny and loaded...big hair and cocaine.

Clams

Post by Clams »

As always, volunteers for song of the week are welcome and appreciated.

Still another 20+ songs to go, including some good, deep cuts and a few that are top shelf material. Also needed are fans of Rob Malone and Shonna Tucker.

PM me if interested. :)

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Was not one of my faves early on in my DBT fandon, but now I can't get enough of it. Funny how that happens. The shuffling live version we hear these days is just. so. damn. good.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

One of my fav DBT songs - loved when I caught this at the Atlanta TDU show, and Patterson went crazy on the "cocaine" part.

listen
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I love this song, too. I'd love to meet the real Margo and Harold
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Tyler wrote:One of my favorite Patterson songs, great creepy vibe to it.

Always loved that recording. All three nights from the Caledonia residency are my favorite solo performances. "This is for you out there motherfucker!" :lol:

Yall ever notice in one of the scenes on TSTAHE the camera is panning out of the car as they are riding through Muscle Shoals and they pass Sonny's Pawn Shop. Always wondered if the inclusion of that was a veiled reference to this song.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ramonz wrote:Was not one of my faves early on in my DBT fandon, but now I can't get enough of it. Funny how that happens. The shuffling live version we hear these days is just. so. damn. good.

My experience upon first hearing it was quite the opposite. At that time (late 90's) I was obviously still quite new to the Truckers and was still trying to wrap my head around how bluntly they shined a light on the underbelly of society (somebody else's words, not mine though I forget exactly where I read them) through songs like "Margot and Harold" and "Bulldozers and Dirt". I didn't fully get "Bulldozers and Dirt" the first few times I heard it and had to have it explained to me by someone that was much more familiar with the band than I was at that point. To this day, "Margo and Harold" remains one of my very favorite (if not my very favorite) character sketches from Patterson. I was so glad it was in the set when they played the Cradle back in April especially since that may turn out to be my last Truckers show for a long while.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
ramonz wrote:Was not one of my faves early on in my DBT fandon, but now I can't get enough of it. Funny how that happens. The shuffling live version we hear these days is just. so. damn. good.

My experience upon first hearing it was quite the opposite. At that time (late 90's) I was obviously still quite new to the Truckers and was still trying to wrap my head around how bluntly they shined a light on the underbelly of society (somebody else's words, not mine though I forget exactly where I read them) through songs like "Margot and Harold" and "Bulldozers and Dirt". I didn't fully get "Bulldozers and Dirt" the first few times I heard it and had to have it explained to me by someone that was much more familiar with the band than I was at that point. To this day, "Margo and Harold" remains one of my very favorite (if not my very favorite) character sketches from Patterson. I was so glad it was in the set when they played the Cradle back in April especially since that may turn out to be my last Truckers show for a long while.

Was at that show with you KG, sorry we didn't connect. I think it's because my initial attraction to DBT was from the rawk angle, and the first two albums didn't make it into heavy rotation until a couple years into my obsession. But now, oh Lawdy.

Clams

Post by Clams »

ramonz wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Was at that show with you KG, sorry we didn't connect. I think it's because my initial attraction to DBT was from the rawk angle, and the first two albums didn't make it into heavy rotation until a couple years into my obsession. But now, oh Lawdy.

Yeah I'm same as you, Ramonz. I got sucked in by BTCD, SRO, Dirty South and Decoration Day, but lately I can't get enough of PD and GB. I wish we could get updated versions of them though. I love the newer versions of Gravity's Gone and Uncle Frank. I'd like to hear the rest of those records with that heavier sound.