DBT Tracks # 116 - People Who Died

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

DBT Tracks # 116 - People Who Died

Post by Clams »

Pretty sure this is the last of the DBT cover songs. I admit that I don't know much about Jim Carroll, other than what I've read on here. If you just read the lyrics to this song, you'd say "damn, that's a sad song" but the DBT version is something other than sad - to me it sounds visceral, defiant and fierce, like a hard punch to the stomach and a slap to the face. The AAW version is perfect.
If you don't run you rust

sactochris

Re: DBT Tracks # 116 - People Who Died

Post by sactochris »

I've never had the nerve to tell Patterson that it's East 2-9, and not Easter night.
Last edited by sactochris on Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I missed this one the one show I've been to that they played it. Something happened at the Variety Playhouse show on March 13, 2010 that caused me to have to leave with about four songs to go. I hate I missed it.

I have got to get my hands on AAW.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Here is the artist of the week feature I wrote about Jim Carroll.

http://www.threedimesdown.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=659
Jim was the person who talked me into going to seminary. I would have never been "Rev" Matt if it hadn't been for Jim Carroll

Jim was one of the sweetest, nicest people I had the privilage of meeting. A very generous man.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

check out Jim Carroll's album Catholic Boy...one of my favorite all time albums. In the top 5 albums I'd pick if I knew I'd be stranded on a deserted island.

And yes indeed...it's East 2-9 not easter night.

When I first heard Fourth Night of My Drinking, I immediately detected Jimmy's influence...just the first few seconds of the song before the lyrics start. Anyone else get that?

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Clams wrote:Pretty sure this is the last of the DBT cover songs. I admit that I don't know much about Jim Carroll, other than what I've read on here. If you just read the lyrics to this song, you'd say "damn, that's a sad song" but the DBT version is something other than sad - to me it sounds visceral, defiant and fierce, like a hard punch to the stomach and a slap to the face. The AAW version is perfect.

Jim Carroll sang this with, pretty much, the same "punch to the stomach" tone as the DBT cover. Many of those people who died in the song, were real people from his book "Basketball Diaries". I'm not sure he intended to write a sad song. He pretty much accepts death as part growing up in the streets as a junkie.

Wait, haven't you heard the original?

zoid

Post by zoid »

This one dates way back to the Adam's House Cat days. It was always the closer then as well.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

What a testament to the Truckers that People Who Died is the 116th song they play that we are discussing!

Unbelievable.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Rocky wrote:What a testament to the Truckers that People Who Died is the 116th song they play that we are discussing!

Unbelievable.

Ain't that the truth? This is the ultimate show closer and, being a fan of the original, one of the things that cemented my DBT love.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

I also was a fan of this song way before I heard DBT do it and now
I love it even more .....and heck yeah it is an outstanding show closer for sure!!!
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

My sister had a Jim Carroll album and I was aware of The Basketball Diaries due to the movie but it wasn't until the DBTs cover came along that I really starting paying closer attention.