DBT track of the week #115 - Like a Rolling Stone

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

DBT track of the week #115 - Like a Rolling Stone

Post by Clams »

Continuing with the covers...

Like a Rolling Stone. They covered it, they took turns with the vocals, Shonna giggled.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Re: DBT track of the week #115 - Like a Rolling Stone

Post by Smitty »

Shonna's singing debut. They done as good a job as anyone could do at covering "Like a Rolling Stone" - Cooley's verse is my fav.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Hmmm, apparently this track isn't very popular. I don't really care for it myself. I don't hate it; it just seems kind of unnecessary.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I liked it a whole lot when I first heard it. I still do but not nearly as much as I used to. I'm not sure of the exact story right off the top of my head but it seems like when they were first asked to contribute to the album that they said yes, just so long as the song in question wasn't "Like A Rolling Stone". Not because they didn't like it but because it's such a signature song of Dylan's. If memory serves it was the last song left for them to choose from so they didn't really have any option. It's far from a definitive cover but I think they did it justice. It may have also led the way to Shonna singing and contributing to future records though I don't know that for sure.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I like it a lot. Maybe it's because it's a great song, and you can't go wrong. But I like hearing my favorite band doing one of my favorite Dylan songs. Seems like they're having fun while doing it. I love how EZB pounds the snare in between the vocal lines of the verses and after each chorus.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I remember the first time unheard it after buying The Fine Print. I had a weird visceral reaction to hear Jason sing; since I discovered DBT post-Jason, I'd tended to think of Jason's songs as separate things from the rest of the DBT catalog.

I believe this is the only recording where all four of them sing

It also makes me wish the band had a few more songs where Hood and Cooley trade vocals.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:I remember the first time unheard it after buying The Fine Print. I had a weird visceral reaction to hear Jason sing; since I discovered DBT post-Jason, I'd tended to think of Jason's songs as separate things from the rest of the DBT catalog.

Now that you mention it, I remember feeling something similar. It was weird (and cool) to hear him in that context again.

It's an OK cover. I don't skip it, but I don't go out of my way to hear it. The giggle kinda bugs me.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:
Zip City wrote:I remember the first time unheard it after buying The Fine Print. I had a weird visceral reaction to hear Jason sing; since I discovered DBT post-Jason, I'd tended to think of Jason's songs as separate things from the rest of the DBT catalog.

It's an OK cover. I don't skip it, but I don't go out of my way to hear it. The giggle kinda bugs me.

My thoughts exactly. Its as good of a cover of an "uncoverable" song as you can get.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:My thoughts exactly. Its as good of a cover of an "uncoverable" song as you can get.

Uncoverable? How come? I would say it's become a "standard" in the rock catalogue.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Hud

Post by Hud »

Iowan wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Its as good of a cover of an "uncoverable" song as you can get.

X2.....and have to admit, I do skip it....it's just been covered to many times
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RolanK wrote:
Iowan wrote:My thoughts exactly. Its as good of a cover of an "uncoverable" song as you can get.

Uncoverable? How come? I would say it's become a "standard" in the rock catalogue.

Uncoverable in the sense that there can never be a version that really stands next to the original. You can cover it, but you aren't going to be able to do to it what DBT did to "Play It All Night Long".

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:
RolanK wrote:

Uncoverable in the sense that there can never be a version that really stands next to the original. You can cover it, but you aren't going to be able to do to it what DBT did to "Play It All Night Long".

I respect your point of view. But I beg to differ :D In my book, both Zevon and Dylan are great songwriters. They are excellent performers as well in each their own way, but I think it is first and foremost as songwriters they excel. Most of the the songs they have written are so strong that they sound good with almost any artist.

In the case of Like a Rolling stone. The original sure is a great one and it's the song that got me hooked on Bloomfield. Having said that I don't think it's Dylan's strongest recording.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

RolanK wrote:
Iowan wrote:
RolanK wrote:

I respect your point of view. But I beg to differ :D In my book, both Zevon and Dylan are great songwriters. They are excellent performers as well in each their own way, but I think it is first and foremost as songwriters they excel. Most of the the songs they have written are so strong that they sound good with almost any artist.

In the case of Like a Rolling stone. The original sure is a great one and it's the song that got me hooked on Bloomfield. Having said that I don't think it's Dylan's strongest recording.

Zevon is a great songwriter, but DBT's version of "Play It All Night Long" gives the song a different life. Among Zevon's catalog, I don't know if I'd put it in his top tier of songs, but DBT's version gives me that "holy fuckballs" sensation.

I don't think another artist can do that with "Like A Rolling Stone".

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

One of the songs that cemented my love of the band. I love how they all take turns on verses, and how they all come back on the last chorus. One of my favorite songs of all time given a terrific rendition by a bad I was just getting into. I have an "Essential Drive-By Truckers" mix on my iPhone, and this is the final song, as it sort of sums up all four of their styles and voices how the band existed for a snapshot in time.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Iowan wrote:Zevon is a great songwriter, but DBT's version of "Play It All Night Long" gives the song a different life. Among Zevon's catalog, I don't know if I'd put it in his top tier of songs, but DBT's version gives me that "holy fuckballs" sensation.

I don't think another artist can do that with "Like A Rolling Stone".

I guess matching Dylan's performance or not is a matter of taste. But I think the song is such a strong song in itself that it lends itself to being covered perfectly. Isn't that what Dylan is doing all the time when he is performing; covering his own songs? ;)
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

From a guy who has never really been all that wild about Dylan, I like this song. The song itsself is probably just ok to me, but I love how all four of them sing on this one.

I think they all did a good job with their verse. I would like to know what made Shonna laugh but I would almost be willing to bet that Cooley had something to do with it.

I like Cooley's verse the best, then probably Jason's.

It would be cool if another song popped up at some point with Jason on vocals. I realize that almost certainly will not happen but in a perfect world...
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.