dbt songs #114 - Everybody Needs Love & Where's Eddie

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt songs #114 - Everybody Needs Love & Where's Eddie

Post by Clams »

Continuing with the covers... it's Eddie Hinton Week!

Possibly DBT's finest moment ever...

Go Go Boots Episode: Everybody Needs Love
http://vimeo.com/17681998

Go Go Boots Episode: Where's Eddie
http://vimeo.com/17546959
(In my humble opinion, Where's Eddie is/was Shonna's finest moment as a lead vocalist in DBT).

^^^^^^^^^^^ btw - lots of good Eddie Hinton info in those GGB Episode vids.^^^^^^^^^^

I was going to post a link to Eddie Hinton's artist of the week thread, but it doesn't appear anyone's done one. That's hard to believe.
If you don't run you rust

Kevidently

Re: dbt songs #114 - Everybody Needs Love & Where's Eddie

Post by Kevidently »

When I was first getting into DBT (8 months ago, wow), I read a lot of reviews and picked and chose a sampling of songs across their canon. One review site highlighted "Where's Eddie," so I downloaded it, and was a little surprised at the fact that there was a woman's voice coming out of my speakers. My surprise turned to delight immediately. This song immediately went onto my "Essential Drive-By Truckers" mix - I still think it's one of their best. There are a few other Shonna songs that I've fallen in love with ("You Got Another" and "Dancin' Ricky") but this is the gold standard.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I bought the 45 of these two songs when it first came out but with no turntable I obviously had no way to listen to it. That is, until someone here was kind enough to send me mp3's of the tracks. Even then I didn't listen to them right away. Imagine my surprise when one day "Everybody Needs Love" came up in iTunes when it was in shuffle mode and I had no idea who it was. I know for a lot of people that Patterson's voice can be a big turn-off factor when it comes to the DBT's but I wonder what their take would be if "Everybody Needs Love" was the first thing they heard? I know the same has recently been said of "Come Back Little Star" but since I haven't spent as much time with that song, I'm sticking with my opinion that this is Patterson's best vocal performance by far. Unfortunately, I've yet to pick up anything by Eddie Hinton but I definitely plan on doing so at some point. My "Most Wanted" list of CD's is just too damn long as it is.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Can't say enough good things about ENL. The wife and I used it as our first dance at our wedding earlier this summer (the band we hired absolutely KILLED IT). Probably a top 5 DBT song for me. I can listen to it at anytime and it just makes me happy. Never get tired of it.

On the other hand I've never really gotten the love for Where's Eddie. Shonna sounds nice on it, but the song itself (or maybe just the arrangement) is kind of weird. Super quiet verses, overblown choruses, nothing in between to blend them together. The result (for me) is that it just sounds melodramatic and kinda silly.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Bantam

Post by Bantam »

"Everybody Needs Love" is one of my favorite songs off of Go-Go Boots. My brother liked it so much, I like almost as much now. I love Letterman's story about renting the van and driving to Kansas City. Classic.
Just tryin' to get by, being quiet & shy, in a world full of pushin' & shove

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

First time I saw DBT was before GGB came out, so it was the first time heard these songs. I liked Where's Eddie and I thought Everybody Needs Love was brilliant - suited them down to the ground and they put everything into it. Not often songs have that much impact when the first time you hear them is in a live show.

Patterson's intro gave full credit to Eddie Hinton, so I looked him up on the 'net when I got home. I love finding out about music and and musicians I didn't know before and the obvious respect shown for him is I another thing I really appreciate about DBT.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Drop D wrote:Patterson's intro gave full credit to Eddie Hinton, so I looked him up on the 'net when I got home. I love finding out about music and and musicians I didn't know before and the obvious respect shown for him is I another thing I really appreciate about DBT.

In the unlikely event that you weren't already aware of it, they first gave Hinton props on Gangstabilly's "Sandwiches For the Road".