DBT track # 112-- Mama Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

DBT track # 112-- Mama Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken

Post by Clams »

No time to write a post, but I wanted to get the thread started.

Mama Bake a Pie.

Discuss.
If you don't run you rust

psychobillycadillac

Re: DBT track # 112-- Mama Bake a Pie, Daddy Kill a Chicken

Post by psychobillycadillac »

I for one love this Tom T. Hall cover, not one of my more favorite tunes from his (Tom T's) catalog but I think that Patterson's voice serves it well.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Absolutely heart breaking song. I have som e experience where the subject matter of this song is concerned. Incredibly well written and spot on. Which why it is so sad.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Love it. Part of what makes TFP a great album to me. Wasn't (and still am not all that) familiar w/ TTH until I heard the DBT version and began to read Patterson and 3DD posts about him. I need to buy some of his stuff - any ideas for best album for a TTH beginner? Thanks.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

I agree with what Ramonz said. I wasn't familiar with Tom T. until this DBT version. Absolutely love this song. Up there with When the Well Runs Dry and Mrs. Claus Kimono as my faves off of The Fine Print. Does anyone else cover Tom T? I'm having a massive brain fart right now and swear I've heard other stuff of his covered.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I'm sure there's lots more covers out there but back in 1998 there was an album called Real: The Tom T. Hall Project that included contributions from Whiskeytown, Iris Dement, Richard Buckner, Calexico and others. Whiskeytown covered "I Hope It Rains At My Funeral" on that album.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'm sure there's lots more covers out there but back in 1998 there was an album called Real: The Tom T. Hall Project that included contributions from Whiskeytown, Iris Dement, Richard Buckner, Calexico and others. Whiskeytown covered "I Hope It Rains At My Funeral" on that album.

My intro into "alt. country".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I'm sure there's lots more covers out there but back in 1998 there was an album called Real: The Tom T. Hall Project that included contributions from Whiskeytown, Iris Dement, Richard Buckner, Calexico and others. Whiskeytown covered "I Hope It Rains At My Funeral" on that album.

My intro into "alt. country".

I still don't own it but pretty soon after getting into Whiskeytown I sought out a bunch of the rare stuff like b-sides, soundtracks and compilations and "I Hope It Rains At My Funeral" was one of the first things I found. If I remember right someone sent me a CD-R full of that kind of stuff.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

ramonz wrote:Love it. Part of what makes TFP a great album to me. Wasn't (and still am not all that) familiar w/ TTH until I heard the DBT version and began to read Patterson and 3DD posts about him. I need to buy some of his stuff - any ideas for best album for a TTH beginner? Thanks.

Allmusic recommends a compilation called The Definite Collection.
http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-defin ... 0000702454
Looks like a good place to start. I see it has Fox On The Run on it which I believe is a title Cooley has covered before.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

JAYFROMBAMA

Post by JAYFROMBAMA »

To the best of my recollection, it got played most often in 2004, as the War In Iraq was getting to be a real mess.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

JAYFROMBAMA wrote:To the best of my recollection, it got played most often in 2004, as the War In Iraq was getting to be a real mess.

Good memory! I checked one of these days & it has only been played 3 times since 2004, most recently in 2009.
We're still chasing that song, haven't ever heard it in 96 shows, but would really like to. Patterson's version is very sweet.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Love this song; number 1 on my please play it live wish list. That UR and CG have not seen it either somehow makes me feel better!
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

There's enough Tom T. songs that I'd like to see DBT cover to fill an album. I think Cooley would kill "Margie's at the Lincoln Park Inn" & I'd love to hear Patterson cover "She Gave Her Heart to Jethro" and "Homecoming"

or maybe Patterson & Cooley trading verses on "Day Drinkin" :lol:

E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Pretty sure we got this in Aspen, 2009, shortly after TFP came out.

When I was little growing up just south of Nashville a big Saturday night was my parents going out and my little brother and me getting to watch Hee Haw in front of the TV with a frozen dinner. Tom T. Hall was someone from that era whose music I never knew; I remember a really bad K-tel commercial for a greatest hits collection and making fun of his song about loving tomatoes on a vine.

Leave it to the Drive-By Truckers to open my eyes to an amazing talent. I had no idea he wrote songs like this. One of the first songs I fell in love with when TFP came out. The imagery of the bottle hidden under his blanket, and his girlfriend coming to see him while he knows he's lost her forever - so sad and so unfortunately poignant again today.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

We got it in 2006 in Macon right after they came off the Black Crowe tour. Really long show. I guess they were making up for
all those 45 min sets they had been doing. We also got Moonlight Mile that night. Jason sang it. That show was on Archives
a few years back. I don't know if it still is, but if it is, check it out. It was also Cooley's birthday and Patterson's birthday banter
was pretty interesting, right around Women Without Whiskey. :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

jr29

Post by jr29 »

I am not sure why, but I find Patterson's vocals on "Mama Bake a Pie" and " Everybody Needs Love" to be my favorite vocals he has done.
As far as Tom T..... I could go on forever. When I was a teenager I would drink with a buddy and "Ravishing Ruby" was a favorite for both of us. These days I can't get enough of "Homecoming" and "That's How I Got To Memphis".
He is like Kristofferson, Roger Miller, Dwight Yoakam and a few other country artists who have achieved some commercial success while still being totally original, creative and nonconforming.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Swamp wrote: It was also Cooley's birthday and Patterson's birthday banter
was pretty interesting, :D

So how many titties did you count?
Always go to the show

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Jonicont wrote:
Swamp wrote: It was also Cooley's birthday and Patterson's birthday banter
was pretty interesting, :D

So how many titties did you count?

Not enough! IMTO
Marina did film a good part of that show. It was a regular camera and only her 1st time filming.
All the footage is on a old computer that went down. I think she posted Women Without Whiskey
under the youtube name arca spiff. But as we were discussing this thread she reminded me of another
show I don't remember. The Dec 09 Jack Daniels show :oops: in Charleston

lucky for me she filmed the whole show except for Marry Me that I filmed :roll:
I met Athens Joe at that C-town show but didn't know it till he told me at the
2010 homecoming. :lol:
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!