dbt track week #111 - Every Mother's Son

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt track week #111 - Every Mother's Son

Post by Clams »

Staying with the "covers" theme... here's one that I bet a lot of y'all don't even know about. Cooley covering Skynyrd. Problem is, I know so little about this DBT cover (other than great vocals and great guitars) that I was forced to enlist our resident historian, Smitty, for the backstory. Here's what he had to say:

it came out on Under the Influence - A Jam Band Tribute to Skynyrd in September '04, a month after TDS came outut it was recorded earlier before Shonna was a full fledged member so that's Earl Hicks on bass so basically the Decoration Day lineup - Patterson originally wanted to record "Was I Right or Wrong?" but I can't remember why they went with EMS. they've never played it live except for one (I know of) soundcheck.

For those who don't have this track, here's a download link... http://www.sendspace.com/file/jtertj
(I'll be really bummed if David Lowery sends me an open letter on the internet because i posted this download)
(mods - if the download isn't kosher, let me know and I'll remove the link)

The Skynyrd version was on Gimme Back My Bullets. Here's a Youtube of them doing it:

unofficial lyrics:
Well I've been ridin' a winning horse for a long, long time
Sometimes I wonder is this the end of the line
No one should take advantage of who they are
No man has got it made
If he thinks he does, he's wrong

Every mother's son better hear what I say
Every mother's son will rise and fall someday

I've seen it happen so many times, so many times before
Some man got so much money he doesn't worry no more
Or he's got such a pretty woman that'll treat him fine
Well my friend has been a fool
It happens everytime

I'm not tryin' to preach to no one, to no one at all
I've seen so many of my good friends just rise to fall
'Cause they got so much money or a woman so fine
Well my friends have all been fools, it happens every time

What I say

What I say
Oh, every mother's son will rise and fall someday
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Re: dbt track week #111 - Every Mother's Son

Post by beantownbubba »

I don't know nuthin' about this song but speaking of badass, i do know that smitty is one badass motherfucker.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

This is my favorite DBT cover.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Can't remember where I read it now but I also remember something about Patterson wanting to go with "Was I Right Or Wrong?" Either way, I like that they went with "Every Mother's Son". An often overlooked song from an often overlooked album.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

EMS is one of my favorite Skynyrd tunes - I would love to hear Hood & Cooley share verses on "You Got That Right" - I think they would KILL it, especially now with Jay on keys. This track is def the highlight of the album, IMO - the only thing worse than Blues Traveler doing "Freebird" is the Disco Biscuits playing "Gimme Three Steps" **shudder** I did enjoy Gov't Mule, Yonder Mtn & John Hiatt w/moe though.

I def think they should debut this one live.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:An often overlooked song from an often overlooked album.

GBMB, to me, has a sluggish feel to it, as if the band is running on fumes. By all accounts, I think they were. I don't think I've ever seen quite the metamorphosis in a band than when Steve Gaines joined for Street Survivors. We all know the story, but what a magical burst of energy he injected into the band.

I agree, KG, I think EMS is one of the better tunes on GBMB, and I love it as a cover.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

this is so bad ass, i can't wait to hear it...thanks Clams and Smitty!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I've never heard this
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

It's been on iTunes, and is certainly worth the..... $0.99!

Kudzu Guillotine

ramonz wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:An often overlooked song from an often overlooked album.

GBMB, to me, has a sluggish feel to it, as if the band is running on fumes. By all accounts, I think they were. I don't think I've ever seen quite the metamorphosis in a band than when Steve Gaines joined for Street Survivors. We all know the story, but what a magical burst of energy he injected into the band.

I agree, KG, I think EMS is one of the better tunes on GBMB, and I love it as a cover.

I don't get the feeling that it's "sluggish", just that it sounds kind of lean compared to some of their other albums, probably because of the lack of a third guitarist. Still, in addition to "Every Mother's Son", I think it has some great moments such as the title track, "Trust", "Roll Gypsy Roll" and "All I Can Do Is Write About It" which is one of their finest moments on record (at least to my ears). Not that it will change anyone's opinion of the album but I highly recommend the deluxe edition of Gimme Back My Bullets that came out in 2006 that includes a bonus disc mostly comprised of live tracks as well as a DVD of their appearance on the Old Grey Whistle Test in '76. It's been a long while since I last watched it but I believe that's the same performance that the clip of "Every Mother's Son" which was posted previously is taken fron. Also, the liner notes are great, especially the story behind "Double Trouble". Ronnie Van Zant joked that he needed to change the lyrics to "Double Trouble" in a call he made from jail ("Eleven times I been busted, eleven times I been to jail") because he'd been busted one more time.

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Thanks Smitty! That is bad ass. Always knew about this track but never heard it--really should have been on The Fine Print.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Cool. Have they done other LS covers?

I had a dream once that they did Gimme Three Steps and it was unbelieveable. Patterson was on vocals in my dream but I wonder if Cooley might not do it better.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Cole Younger wrote:I had a dream once that they did Gimme Three Steps and it was unbelieveable. Patterson was on vocals in my dream but I wonder if Cooley might not do it better.

http://archive.org/details/dbt2000-07-28webcast.shnf
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Bill in CT wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I had a dream once that they did Gimme Three Steps and it was unbelieveable. Patterson was on vocals in my dream but I wonder if Cooley might not do it better.

http://archive.org/details/dbt2000-07-28webcast.shnf

Awsome. Thanks.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kudzu Guillotine

"Gimme Three Steps" used to be a staple of their shows during "Steve McQueen" and can also be found on Alabama Ass Whuppin'. Seems they would trade it out sometimes with "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love".

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I've been a DBT fan for years and was completly amazed when a buddy played me the "Every Mother's Son" cover, and I'd never heard it. I also love Lynyrd-Skynyrd and never remembered hearing their version. I love Cooley's vocals on the track. Overall though the tribute albulm is mixed...some really good tracks and some not so good.