dbt tracks week # 102 - The Tough Sell

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt tracks week # 102 - The Tough Sell

Post by Clams »

From the Volare with the eight-track stereo to the used car guy with the cheap cologne and Binaca, not to mention the blaxploitation funk, The Tough Sell reeks of the 70's in all the right ways.

The one line that I can't seem to wrap my head around is "I ain't never been lucky with love." Maybe someone can help with that.

One more thing: you can now stick a fork into Gangstabilly, the second record (along with The Dirty South) that we've covered from start to finish.

"She's a beaute, yes sir she is" said EZ DAN, fifty five, a bad age,
smelling of Brute from Fabrege' and sweat
EZ DAN don't bathe a lot these days (and why the hell should he anyway?)
"She's got a few miles on her, but then again, who don't?"
he said with a slight chuckle, the recent Binaca Blast still lingering on his breath,
"and besides, them's highway miles"

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other
it certainly wasn't the car of my dreams, but the price was right
and EZ DAN assured me the mid 70's were a particularly nice period
for Chrysler products in general
"and this one is a Volare'"
and besides, finally having an eight-track means I can play
all them tapes I ain't been able to listen to since high-school

so we stuffed EZ DAN's body in the trunk and hauled ass out of town
but somewhere just past the middle of nowhere the fuel pump blew
and the oil pump too, and the piston rods hurled straight through the engine block
dropping oil, gasoline, water, and anti-freeze onto the Alabama red clay below

Ain't that a bitch?
I ain't never been lucky with love
If you don't run you rust

bovine knievel

Re: dbt tracks week # 102 - The Tough Sell

Post by bovine knievel »

"and besides, them's highway miles"

love that line
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Probably my least favorite DBT song. But reading the lyrics here makes me want to give it another chance. I've never even paid close enough attention to the lyrics before to realize that "I've never been lucky with love" is somewhat of a non sequitur. Hmm...
ain't no static on the gospel radio

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

To me this one's classic Patterson: In terms of formal song structure, memorable melodies, hooks, etc, it doesn't have much to offer but PH makes it work because EVERY SINGLE DETAIL is note perfect and hilariously on target. Like all the classic 70's bits and pieces in the first verse u mention Clams, and then "EZ DAN assured me the mid 70's were a particularly nice period for Chrysler products in general," which is a dead on reflection of used car salesman-speak, especially if you know that Chrysler cars in the mid-70's were a disaster (at least i think they were).

I have to admit that every time my ear "catches" on "I ain't never been lucky with love" I still think "damn i missed that verse again," thinking that there must be a verse that makes the line make sense. But knowing that there actually isn't one, the best that i can do is that narrator is reflecting on his life in general as one does when something goes disastrously wrong: He has the same kind of luck w/ women as he has w/ cars.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Throughout the years, I have been finding that for certain DBT tunes I've been wanting More or Less. By this I mean, with all the addition and subtraction of bandmembers over the years, there are certain songs that I want to hear a certain way. A good example of this is Carl Perkins Cadillac - I like it with NO keys, more rock and roll and more Isbell!
As for The Tough Sell, here's a song (I haven't perused One of These Days.org recently) where I would love to hear Neff go nuts on, just like the album track. This is one of my faves off of Gangstabilly. Love Patterson's growl. BEEEEEEEEE-sides!....

bhogan73

Post by bhogan73 »

I can't believe how off I've been on the lyrics to this for probably a decade now. I always thought he said "EZ dan don't lay the wife these days, and why the hell should he....She's got a few miles on her...." Still, one of my favs and the only time I saw it live was at a solo show at the East Andrews lounge in Buckhead where the raw intensity showed

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

This is a song that somehow managed to stay under my radar for a really long time. I always loved the title but somehow never got around to hearing it.

I love it. Patterson being Patterson and the vagueness is part of what makes it great to me.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

it's the part of the story that you don't know that makes it such a great song. that and the beastie boys/sabotage style intro.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Always loved it. Great Patterson vocal. The tune just oozes nasty. Was so happy to catch it live a few years back in New Haven Ct. @ Toad's. Made my night/show at the time.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

And BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-SIDES. Them's highway miles!

Fucking love it

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Always hated it, too much like hillbilly preacher rap, but the lyrics are pretty cool.
Not forever, just for now.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It reminds me of "Stuart" by Dead Milkmen
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

'Scratch wrote:Always hated it, too much like hillbilly preacher rap, but the lyrics are pretty cool.

Is this a genre that I've never heard of?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Duke Silver wrote:Probably my least favorite DBT song

x2

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

jimmyjack wrote:

x2

President's Penis is way worse.

Tough Sell is okay in the context of the record, but it's not something I'd pick out to listen to on its own.
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Zip City wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:

x2

President's Penis is way worse.

Tough Sell is okay in the context of the record, but it's not something I'd pick out to listen to on its own.

Let me revise to least favorite non-gimmick, non-Shonna (SORRY) song. I consider President's Penis to be more of an extended joke than a song.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Always loved it and still do. I love the detail line "I shifted my weight from one foot to another" because that's exactly what you do when pondering a tough decision. I also love the details about the engine blowing, as well as the gems that have been discussed: BK with them highway miles, BTB with the 70s and Chrysler products, etc.

I picture EZ Dan looking like the sleazy used car salesman in Road House. He don't bathe a lot these days, and why the hell should he? That's probably why Patterson stuffed his ass in the trunk.

I would love to get an insight into the last line.
Three guitars or a life of crime

rockreid

Post by rockreid »

Never really been into this song. Sounds a whole lot like "Days of Graduation" which oddly enough I really like.

redstains

Post by redstains »

always loved this one, and i'll tell you why.

i like to think of this as a low budget 70s crime movie in song form - a little three minute song version of one of those movies that would show on saturday afternoons, with no commercials but vinyl siding infomercials starring jerry clower.

most of those movies were not that great - macon county line comes to mind - but they were perfect for a rainy afternoon.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I always thought if this was ever turned into a movie that Burt Reynolds should star in it. I love the attention to detail, especially the line below. When it comes to Patterson's character sketches it doesn't get much better than "The Tough Sell". It's also a huge reason why Gangstabilly has always been my favorite DBTs records and remains so to this day.

Somewhere just past the middle of nowhere the fuel pump blew
and the oil pump too, and the piston rods hurled straight through the engine block
dropping oil, gasoline, water, and anti-freeze onto the Alabama red clay below...

redstains

Post by redstains »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I always thought if this was ever turned into a movie that Burt Reynolds should star in it. I love the attention to detail, especially the line below. When it comes to Patterson's character sketches it doesn't get much better than "The Tough Sell". It's also a huge reason why Gangstabilly has always been my favorite DBTs records and remains so to this day.

Somewhere just past the middle of nowhere the fuel pump blew
dropping oil, gasoline, water, and anti-freeze onto the Alabama red clay below...

burt would definitely be great. for some reason i've always had jesse vint in mind - i guess for the same reason macon county line comes to mind.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

who is playing lead wah wah manifesto here?

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Clams wrote:The one line that I can't seem to wrap my head around is "I ain't never been lucky with love." Maybe someone can help with that.[/i]

pure speculation but maybe the whole song is based on a lovers on a crime spree idea, like a micky & mallory influenced song?
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

The first time I heard The Tough Sell was on the legendary Zephyr Club recording (6.24.00 look it up on archive.org). Just like so many other great DBT songs, this one had me at hello. Don't understand the disdain for this song because to me, it encapsulates all that I love about the Drive-By Truckers. Hard driving, gritty, witty and mysterious as hell. I love how it went from listening to "all them tapes I ain't been able to listen to since high-school" to stuffing EZ Dan's body in the trunk with no explanation given, or needed for that matter. I'm still chasing this song, probably the last one on my "must see" list that I haven't had the honor to experience live. I really hope that day comes sooner than later.