DBT Track #99-100 Easy On Yourself/Daylight

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Iowan

DBT Track #99-100 Easy On Yourself/Daylight

Post by Iowan »

Clams approached me about taking on the Track of the Week, and as I perused the available tracks, Daylight stood out to me. I've always enjoyed the track, as well as ABAAC as a whole, much more than the average hardcore DBT fan. I decided to take on Easy on Yourself too, because I'm probably the only one on this site who doesn't hate it. Because I don't care as much for it, I'll do it first, get it out of the way, and save the good stuff for last.

I can't blame you but it's a shame
you can't cover your ass sometimes.
It's that kind of town and you're so far down you can't get up.
I can't tell you what to sell and how to tow the line
and when to just give up.

Calling out to everyone who tried to run. You tried to run.

Don't be so easy on yourself
'cause this one might be all that you have left.
Rearrange the voices in your head and remember what they said.
Don't be so easy on yourself.

You got it down, you been around
and you won't change your life
for redneck cops and traffic stops and residue
but I can't tell you all the hell they'll put you through inside
and what they'll do to you.

Ten years down the road you'll find you're left behind. You're left behind.

Calling out to everyone who tried to run. You tried to run.

When you look at the verse, the song seems like its clearly directed at a fuck up friend who can't seem to get out of the rut of self-inflicted trouble in small town America. As a native of a small town, who lives and works in a small town and sees a lot of people who continue to fuck up, and never really seem to care or try to change (vs the well-intentioned fuck up who simply lacks the judgment to avoid trouble), I can sympathize with Jason's frustrations. However, as a whole song, it just isn't an incredibly compelling story. The chorus is solid. It's catchy, churning, and driving, and it's general message of self-responsibility and core-cutting honesty is great. However, the verses are "blah" from both a lyrical and musical standpoint. What keeps this song from being a drag to me is the squalling instrumental performance that the band puts on. To me, you can hear the frustrations coming out. The last 30 seconds, feature some frayed, angry guitar blasts that in hindsight seem like indications of all not being well.

She's got me tied in a knot. That's what I thought she'd do.
Don't ask me what's on my mind. I'm fine. I'll push on through.
Not much to see on this angry street, so I'll sleep the day away.
Look past my barnacled mind and in time I'll roll the stone away.

While we still have the daylight, I might look these lessons in the eye.
While we still have the daylight, I might become some brand-new kinda guy.

Brass knuckles and birds on a wire retire but no one gets free.
I'd pay to tear these chains away, this steel sympathy.
Cut bait and cold black forty weight, no one can sing for me.
They fall down with grease in their eyes and cry. How could this come to be?

While we still have the daylight, I might look these lessons in the eye.
While we still have the daylight, I might become some brand-new kinda guy

Ever wondered what it sounds like when someone writes a divorce song, while they're still making music with the person they're divorcing? Here you go.

This song, while absolutely despised by some, is a perfect analogy for the state of the band at this point in time, and a testament to the beauty that can come from our greater struggles.

Perhaps one of the most common criticisms of this song is the way Jason tries to soar, vocally, on the chorus, but his voice falls short and misses its mark. To me, this is the type of "imperfection" that is truly perfect. Jason was in a turbulent place as both a musician, and a human being. His marriage, and his band, were coming apart at the scene. He was struggling with the prodigy tag, and trying to manage the inevitable hubris that comes with being a successful young musician. Talented, young, and ambitious, yet having his entire life unravel before his eyes. Just like he tries to push his voice to a new place, only to watch it sputter in ragged fashion. Beautiful.

Lyrically, the song isn't Jason's best, but it does a great job of displaying the awkward, pained state of mind one can imagine he must have been in. While vague, they clearly express the confusion of a troubled young man who is watching his marriage/band/life fall apart. He's frustrated with and blameful of his partner (She's got me tied in a knot. That's what I thought she'd do), but he's aware of his own failures, and seemingly wants to use the inevitable twilight of this stage in his life to figure out a better path through this journey (While we still have the daylight, I might become some brand-new kinda guy) while he comes to grips with the reality of his current lot (I'd pay to tear these chains away, this steel sympathy).

Despite the obvious flaws, the raw emotion of this song has always been moving to me. The more I have learned about the situation that bred it, the more I have come to enjoy it. Raw, ragged, exposed, overly ambitious, imperfect. All of these adjectives can be applied to this song in a pejorative fashion. When you view them through the other side of the lens, the beauty may become evident. Jason puts himself out here, completely, as much as he can, and I am fully of the belief that the result is beautiful, underappreciated art .

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: DBT Track #99-100 Easy On Yourself/Daylight

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I don't care for either of these songs, although I have heard a couple of acoustic versions of Daylight that work to some degree. I'll leave it to others why these didn't work, I just know they didn't. Hurt my appreciation of ABAAC for a long time, then I realized some of my very favorite tracks were on it.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Whoa, I'd never seen that acoustic arrangement of Easy On Yourself before. Despite Cooley looking either bored, pissed, or both throughout, that was pretty cool. It's actually a pretty good song when it's given some room to breathe.

I have a special place in my heart for Daylight. It was the first DBT song I ever heard, and for about the first six months of my fandom it was the only song of theirs I had on my iPod. Looking back, I'm not sure how I ended up getting from there to here, since the song isn't particularly good (or as bad as some here claim) or representative of their sound as a whole, but I guess I had to start somewhere. Good writeup, Iowan.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Duke Silver wrote:Whoa, I'd never seen that acoustic arrangement of Easy On Yourself before. Despite Cooley looking either bored, pissed, or both throughout, that was pretty cool. It's actually a pretty good song when it's given some room to breathe.

I have a special place in my heart for Daylight. It was the first DBT song I ever heard, and for about the first six months of my fandom it was the only song of theirs I had on my iPod. Looking back, I'm not sure how I ended up getting from there to here, since the song isn't particularly good (or as bad as some here claim) or representative of their sound as a whole, but I guess I had to start somewhere. Good writeup, Iowan.

Thanks. I understand how you feel on the subject. Aftermath was the tune that really sucked me in, and while that may be more representative of their sound, the way it was put together, and the whole package of the tune is pretty far from normal. ABAAC as a whole, is w/out a doubt a departure from their other albums. This is part of why I love it.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Don't really like either song. They don't even sound like DBT (one of them sounds like Ryan Adams)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I don't care for either of these songs, although I have heard a couple of acoustic versions of Daylight that work to some degree. I'll leave it to others why these didn't work, I just know they didn't. Hurt my appreciation of ABAAC for a long time, then I realized some of my very favorite tracks were on it.

I more or less agree with what TC says. When I was getting into DBT (within a year following ABAAC release) I was listeining to album after album while a friend of mine told me to steer clear of ABAAC, for now. When I finally got around to getting it, I saw why. (Gravity's Gone was the ONLY track off the album I liked for a long while.) The album as a whole was just to much of a departure for me. The lack of Cooley tunes didn't help either. Along with "Goodbye", I thought the Isbell tracks were way to cheesy and out of place. (I had thought "Easy on Yourself" was a Tommy Tutone or Loverboy cover at one point.)
Over the years, I got a chance to give the album some time to grow on me and I also understand the circumstances around which it was recorded. I also got some appreciation for "Easy on Yourself" eventually. This album along with the Isbell tunes from it will never be among my favorites and that's ok. Very in depth critique Iowan! You dissected this frog thoroughly.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Must be something in the water here, but I am with Iowan, I love Daylight. Why? I don't really know. I can understand why people don't like it, but the hate for it, especially on this board suprises me a bit.

I don't mind Easy on yourself, probably just because I like the message in it, not so much the overall feel of the song.

May post more after I give these two a proper listen this afternoon.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Much thanks to Iowan for volunteering to do Daylight. I asked him to pair it up with Easy On Yourself and he was good enough to do it - even though he didn't really want to. I don't have much to say about either one of these songs - I consider them to be the weakest links on ABAAC and among the weakest in Jason's catalogue (up there with Devil Is My Running Mate). I've been known to actually cringe while listening.
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Hey, I like The Devil is My Running Mate!

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

I have only seen Jason solo 3 times but the fact that I have never heard him do either song during shows where he plays about 60% DBT songs suggests that maybe he thinks these are sub-par as well.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

schofunk

Post by schofunk »

Both songs get a bad rap. Both are as solid as anything else he's done imo. I actually prefer that acoustic version of Easy On Yourself to the studio version.

Daylight works. The big vocal is appropriate and Jason hits it just right in the studio release. Live, idk. I haven't heard enough versions to say. Lyrically...where's the weakness? To me, it's a standout track on the album. The majority of those tracks to do stand-out. I admit, it is an odd album, made up some great tunes that maybe don't gel.

EoY, when you strip away the electric guitars and cowbell and listen to it acoustic, there's definate substance there.

They do seem to point to the need for Jason to do his own thing. He was forging his own sound. An awesome sound :D

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I enjoy 'em both! Great job, Iowan.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Maybe because I was knee deep in my love affair/obsession with the Drive-By Truckers at the time that ABAAC was released, I love both Easy on Yourself and Daylight. I remember thinking at the time that Daylight sounded a little like Sheryl Crow, but is that a deal killer? Not in my opinion. I also saw 5 shows on the ABAAC tour, so I got to see all of the songs performed live. That may affect my opinion, but I honestly don't understand the animosity towards these songs from some on this board. Easy on Yourself is a quality rocker and Daylight may not be Outfit, but it certainly doesn't suck. Thank you Iowan for a very well written breakdown of these under rated Jason songs.
Last edited by UTHeathen on Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

schofunk wrote:Both songs get a bad rap. Both are as solid as anything else he's done imo. I actually prefer that acoustic version of Easy On Yourself to the studio version.

Daylight works. The big vocal is appropriate and Jason hits it just right in the studio release. Live, idk. I haven't heard enough versions to say. Lyrically...where's the weakness? To me, it's a standout track on the album. The majority of those tracks to do stand-out. I admit, it is an odd album, made up some great tunes that maybe don't gel.

EoY, when you strip away the electric guitars and cowbell and listen to it acoustic, there's definate substance there.

They do seem to point to the need for Jason to do his own thing. He was forging his own sound. An awesome sound :D

Don't know if I would go so far as to say they are as good as anything else in his catalogue but I agree with your overall sentiment. I would agree they are a somewhat stark departure from other DBT material but I don't get why they are so ridiculed either. They never (or rarely) get skipped at my house.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I've never really cared all that much for Easy On Yourself but I think Daylight is a great song, and is one of Jason's strongest performances as a vocalist.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I always took Easy on Yourself as a meth song.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:I always took Easy on Yourself as a meth song.

Specifically, you may be right. It could be meth, or weed.

I think the scope is a little wider/more universal.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Nice job, Iowan!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

sactochris wrote:I've never really cared all that much for Easy On Yourself but I think Daylight is a great song, and is one of Jason's strongest performances as a vocalist.

I could be wrong but in my ears there's something strange going on in the chorus when he goes sings the word daylight. Sounds as if his vocals are doubled or the reveb is turned way up to fatten his voice, or heavy compression or whatever.

Not my favourite songs any of them, but then again I'm no Isbell fan. The guitar emerging in the left channel on Daylight from around 2:50 onwards is pretty interesting though. Sounds like Cooley.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

sactochris wrote:I've never really cared all that much for Easy On Yourself but I think Daylight is a great song, and is one of Jason's strongest performances as a vocalist.

I agree- although on the last thread about Daylight everyone here told me he was off key. I think it's great.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Zip City wrote:Hey, I like The Devil is My Running Mate!

Naaaah. Usually when that comes on, I just hit the backwards arrow button and listen to track #10 again ;) :)
I only wonder why "When the Well Runs Dry" wasn't on ABAAC!? C'mon now!

RMD

Post by RMD »

I think both tunes are ok. Don't really fit on the album to me. Easy On Yourself was pretty good in a live setting when I saw it, especially Patterson's backing vocals.. But honestly when I first heard ABAAC the day it came out I thought to myself, wow, Jason's out of the band soon. Just a strange feeling I had. The rest as they say,,,,,,,,,,.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Penny Lane wrote:

I agree- although on the last thread about Daylight everyone here told me he was off key. I think it's great.

That high note is out of his range and he doesn't quite get there

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

Zip City wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

It still sounds great!
Keep calm and have a cigar

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

Indeed. Why I like it.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Those are well-thought-out, solid write-ups on two songs I'm not particularly crazy about. I also love reading comments that clearly illustrate the poster has not taken the time to actually read what's been previously posted in the thread.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

westncdude

Post by westncdude »

As the resident devil's advocate of this forum I have been waiting for this. I would like to think that, even though I disagree with a lot of the things people say here, that I am still a member of the family. So here goes....

I like both these songs, however, Daylight is pretty rough. I am a Huge Isbell Fan and I think that the Trucker's are weaker without him. Neff is great but he doesn't have that over the top 70's guitar thing that Jason has. I love Neff though.

I love the way that Easy on Your Self has that fast/slow dynamic. I think what makes the song is the slow verses and the faster chorus. I also think that Jason was saving some of his better songs for his solo albums that he probably knew he would make.

Daylight is just a pop song and I feel that Jason, like I do, has a weakness for that sort of 60's pop.

I think that most of the people on this forum don't like these songs because they are simply different. The songs are personal and emotional and some people have an issue with that. It seems like the DBTs can only do songs that tell stories about rednecks and car racing and getting drunk and other stereotypical alt country subjects. Don't get me wrong, I love all those things but there is more to my life than that.

For example, Aftermath. I hate this song. I like the groove ok but the lyrics seem phoned in and look as if Patterson made them up as he went along. Cookie cutter stuff.

By the way, if there is a song that is almost universally hated I would be willing to do it for song of the week if needed.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

westncdude wrote:I think that most of the people on this forum don't like these songs because they are simply different. The songs are personal and emotional and some people have an issue with that. It seems like the DBTs can only do songs that tell stories about rednecks and car racing and getting drunk and other stereotypical alt country subjects. Don't get me wrong, I love all those things but there is more to my life than that.

That seems to be a pretty simplistic and flawed theory. I connect with and really enjoy some personal and emotional songs. Then there are personal and emotional songs I do not care for. I like certain songs about rednecks and car racing and getting drunk and other stereotypical alt country subjects. Then there are songs about rednecks and car racing and getting drunk and other stereotypical alt country subjects that I can't stand. Sometimes venturing outside the proverbial box is a good thing. Sometimes it fails.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

cortez the killer wrote:
westncdude wrote:I think that most of the people on this forum don't like these songs because they are simply different. The songs are personal and emotional and some people have an issue with that. It seems like the DBTs can only do songs that tell stories about rednecks and car racing and getting drunk and other stereotypical alt country subjects. Don't get me wrong, I love all those things but there is more to my life than that.

That seems to be a pretty simplistic and flawed theory..

Two Daughters
World of Hurt
Mercy Buckets

To name a few
Always go to the show

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

westncdude wrote:As the resident devil's advocate of this forum I have been waiting for this. I would like to think that, even though I disagree with a lot of the things people say here, that I am still a member of the family. So here goes....

I like both these songs, however, Daylight is pretty rough. I am a Huge Isbell Fan and I think that the Trucker's are weaker without him. Neff is great but he doesn't have that over the top 70's guitar thing that Jason has. I love Neff though.

I love the way that Easy on Your Self has that fast/slow dynamic. I think what makes the song is the slow verses and the faster chorus. I also think that Jason was saving some of his better songs for his solo albums that he probably knew he would make.

Daylight is just a pop song and I feel that Jason, like I do, has a weakness for that sort of 60's pop.

I think that most of the people on this forum don't like these songs because they are simply different. The songs are personal and emotional and some people have an issue with that. It seems like the DBTs can only do songs that tell stories about rednecks and car racing and getting drunk and other stereotypical alt country subjects. Don't get me wrong, I love all those things but there is more to my life than that.

For example, Aftermath. I hate this song. I like the groove ok but the lyrics seem phoned in and look as if Patterson made them up as he went along. Cookie cutter stuff.

By the way, if there is a song that is almost universally hated I would be willing to do it for song of the week if needed.

you lost me at...
resident devil's advocate of this forum wrote:I am a Huge Isbell Fan and I think that the Trucker's are weaker without him.

I'd take a Neff and a Jay over an Isbell any day (from a band perspective). I do think DBT lost one hell of a songwriter but gained so much more with the addition of Jay.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley