DBT Tracks 96-97: Aftermath USA/You and Your Crystal Meth

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: DBT Tracks 96-97: Aftermath USA/You and Your Crystal Met

Post by Jonicont »

Sub wrote:It's gonna be great when the day comes and we get a book.

How many volumes?
Always go to the show

bluehens1979

Post by bluehens1979 »

I have to wonder what it feels like to have someone in your band tell you they don't like your song(s). I doubt I'd handle that well. Especially by someone 10-15 years my junior.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Pretty cool getting the story from Patterson. That's also the most detail I've ever heard from him about the Blessing sessions.

I LOVE Aftermath. I hope they haven't changed it too much because I love the version on the record.

I honestly don't care much for YAYCM. To me that spot on that record could have been better utilized. But it works as far as what he was trying to do. It's creepy as hell both in the way that he sings it and all those weird and spooky noises. I think it would work great if used in the sound track fra a movie or TV show. It's perfect for that rather than a spot on a record.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

bluehens1979 wrote:I have to wonder what it feels like to have someone in your band tell you they don't like your song(s). I doubt I'd handle that well. Especially by someone 10-15 years my junior.

Happens all the time in bands. You learn to deal with it. Most people can accurately assess which of their songs are better than others. The problem comes when somebody else in the band either does not like a good song by another songwriter or doesn't consider it appropriate for the band or a given project. The roots of the Grant Hart/Bob Mould split happened when Grant Hart came into the studio with "2541". Mould didn't want to record it because he thought it sounded too similar to a Dream Syndicate song. Hart put it on a solo ep. The song is one of Grant's best if not THE best song he wrote. After that incident Husker Du's days were numbered.

Today I can't even tell you which Dream Syndicate song sounds like 2541. But Hart's 2541 gets lots of plays on my turntable, cd player and ipod. The song is a classic. Anybody who ever moved out of their parent's house to their first apartment with their best friend only to see the friendship deteriorate under the strain of sharing a home can relate to this song. One of my top ten songs of the 80's.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Just had to bump this, as I was blaring Aftermath USA this chilly evening. Man, I love this song. Patterson's 2 comments in this thread are also still fantastic.

Dean

Post by Dean »

thanks for bumping it, I had missed it.

Hope Patterson gets word of how appreciated his comments are. TYTY

Clams

Post by Clams »

A very timely bumping since I just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix.
If you don't run you rust