dbt track #92: demonic possession

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

dime in the gutter

dbt track #92: demonic possession

Post by dime in the gutter »

Demonic Possession
His courts in session
I sign my confession
Demonic Possession

It was raining on the day she told me
them things that fella sold me
Mama wasn't thee to scold me
No prison or cell could hold me
I still recall the date
I'z probably about eight
when I sealed my fate
You honor I rightly state
(repete chorus)

Suddenly I had a foot hold
I became such a butthole
I don't need nobody consoling me
No one but the devil controlling me

I can kick ass and talk backward
I hang out with a whole bunch of slackers
and I know I can get some help from him
I listen to a lot of Led Zeppelin
(repete chorus)

I got so much money I don't need smarts
My records are flying to the top of the charts
and I'm eating in all those fancy restaurants
and Hanging out with Sam Phillips
and I owe it all to him
Oh, the shape I'm in
The devil says the only thing that's buggin him
is Hell's filling up with Republicans

mwh

Re: dbt track #92: demonic possession

Post by mwh »

Love this song, but Sam Phillips? I'm pretty sure it's Jerry Lee Lewis.

dime in the gutter

mwh wrote:Love this song, but Sam Phillips? I'm pretty sure it's Jerry Lee Lewis.

you are correct, but the "official" lyrics on the dbt website have always been sam phillips. was hoping somebody had some info as to why it was changed to the jerry lee lewis.

one of my favorite lines in all of dbtdom.

and i'm eating in all those fancy restaurants.....hanging out with jerry lee lewis.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

I like that photo essay, dime.

Great song, and another reason why I disagree with DBT's official pronouncement that GB is their "weakest album. . . ."

I love how Patterson waits until the last line of the song to get at what he's trying to get at.

On the music front, I love the mix of mandolin, pedal steel, harmony and distorted guitar. The "my turn" solo is pure Patterson on guitar.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Sub

Post by Sub »

I think the weakest album comment has to do with the production which certainly is shitty at points, but the songs themselves kick ass as usual.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

The full quote from the website is:

This is our weakest album and we didn't really know how to do what we were trying to do yet. It does, however have The Living Bubba, which is still the best song I've ever written, Panties In your Purse, which was one of Cooley's earliest creations, and Late For Church, which was written by our original bass player Adam Howell and is one of the weirdest and sublime things we ever recorded.

I read the "weakest" part to be talking about the substance of the album.

I also don't mind the sound either. GB wouldn't be the same without the static crackle at the beginning of Why Henry Drinks or the end of Panties, and I wouldn't change a thing on PD. The most important thing in my book is hearing three guitars and a tight rythym section, and both albums hit those nails on the head.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Great song. Why do they not play it anymore?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

fistfightsandtears

Post by fistfightsandtears »

dime in the gutter wrote:
mwh wrote:Love this song, but Sam Phillips? I'm pretty sure it's Jerry Lee Lewis.

you are correct, but the "official" lyrics on the dbt website have always been sam phillips. was hoping somebody had some info as to why it was changed to the jerry lee lewis.

one of my favorite lines in all of dbtdom.

and i'm eating in all those fancy restaurants.....hanging out with jerry lee lewis.

I guess i havent read the officail website lyrics, good question!Good song and great album!!!!! Yes, why dont we hear that much. The Living Bubba(which i love) and the occasional PITP is pretty much all you get played off the album.

I partial to "I hang out with whole bunch of slackers, and i know i can get some help from them, i listen to a lot of LED ZEPPELIN!!!!
its kinda like an erection at church, you just can't beat it

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

uuuhhhhh, I've noticed they play a bunch of the others from time to time, namely Wife Beater, Buttholeville, 18 Wheels of Love, and very rarely - Sandwiches for the Road(awesome tune!). I remember a show we saw in Baltimore in '08 maybe? where the Avett Bros. opened and they busted out Wife Beater for us. niiiiiiiiice. :D

and i'm eating in all those fancy restaurants.....hanging out with jerry lee lewis. [/quote]
I guess i havent read the officail website lyrics, good question!Good song and great album!!!!! Yes, why dont we hear that much. The Living Bubba(which i love) and the occasional PITP is pretty much all you get played off the album.

I partial to "I hang out with whole bunch of slackers, and i know i can get some help from them, i listen to a lot of LED ZEPPELIN!!!![/quote]

TDB

Post by TDB »

Only heard this one once. One of my favs. Wish they would bust it out more often.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Passing along from Patterson:
3DD Gang:
Regarding the song Demonic Possession:

I wrote it while working a wait shift at a great little cajun restaurant in Watkinsville GA in August of 1996.
It was during the GOP convention and the TV in the kitchen was on with coverage of Pat Buchanan's speech.
Seems like he was invoking God into his speech as if his was the only message for those with faith and I remember thinking that he'd surely peg Jesus as a hippie commie or something and if there was a God, he or she would probably think Buchanan was an asshole.

I can't remember the specifics of what inspired what, but as things happen in songwriting I'm sure one thing inspired another and so on. It was written really quickly (as were most of my songs in those days) and earmarked for the Pizza Deliverance album (which was to come first and which was dedicated to Sam Phillips who grew up in my home town). Sam is often rightly considered The Father of Rock and Roll which used to be considered The Devil's Music. I'd write a line or two then refill someone's sweet tea. Whenever I'd walk back into the kitchen, I'd see a little of the speech and usually my boss, who was Cajun and quite the character, would spout off something obscene and hilarious. (Picture James Carville with a cigarette, some bourbon and a lot more hair).

Back when we played The Star Bar and opened shows for Truckadelic, we always got laughs and cheers with the line about Led Zeppelin and sometimes in Athens I would substitute "Her" for "Him" and end the line with "listen to a whole lot of Jucifer."

I know that live it quickly was changed to Jerry Lee Lewis because of his conflicted views on God and Satan.

Once I probably sang Jerry Lewis, which kind of works in a fucked up way also.

I don't remember how it ended up on Gangstabilly instead but I've always regretted it's inclusion on any album, as I've always felt it was one of my very lesser songs and the most half baked of anything I've allowed out the door and onto an album. I don't think the track is very well-played on the album either and is by far my least favorite recording in our catalog. Many hate The President's Penis is Missing more, but to me it still holds up for what it intended to do and as a snapshot of a time that unfortunately now comes off as good old days (Green Grinch anyone?). Plus it has the word "Ole'" in the chorus. You gotta love that. If I was doing it now, neither song would make the album.

Summer of 1996. An exciting time for me as the world was flush with the possibilities this brand new band seemed to offer. I was living in abject poverty but I was writing at a fevered pitch. I probably wrote 100 songs that year including Bulldozers and Dirt and The Living Bubba (written about a week apart in March of that year). This year those songs (and DBT) will be eligible for a drivers license but I don't think I'll be letting Demonic Possession drive anywhere anytime soon.

Oh and Bob Dole would be considered way too liberal for this year's GOP.

CHEERS!
Patterson

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Love PH's imagery. Picture James Carville with a cigarette, some bourbon and a lot more hair.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Patterson Hood wrote: If I was doing it now, neither song would make the album.

I agree
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dime in the gutter

Zip City wrote:

I agree

it is obvious that neither of you know what the fuck you are talking about.

talking backwards, foothold and fdr for the win.

TDB

Post by TDB »

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Hood on this one. Considering the "Righteous" attitude's of Rick Santorum and the like this year, I think it fits perfectly with what is going on in American politics. Patterson, if your listening, PLEASE bring this one back. It's better than you think.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Zip City wrote:

I agree

it is obvious that neither of you know what the fuck you are talking about.

butthole

dime in the gutter

Zip City wrote:
dime in the gutter wrote:it is obvious that neither of you know what the fuck you are talking about.

butthole

was that on purpose?

:twisted:

back to the song.....love the slingshot guitar lick at about :41 and cooley's low end harmony throughout.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Keep it civil boys. Keep it civil.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

dime in the gutter

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Keep it civil boys. Keep it civil.

it's all good. i thought zip was referring back to the song with the butthole comment. if he was, bonus points for him. if not, then the irony is even better.

.mih evol i swonk piz

TDB

Post by TDB »

man, oh, man. It's amazing to me how this site has changed in the last few years.
I guess it's for the better, but sometimes I actually miss the profanity laced knockdown's I used to have with Cortez ;)

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

it's all good. i thought zip was referring back to the song with the butthole comment.

.mih evol i swonk piz

wwwwwwaaaaaaaa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

TDB wrote:

man, oh, man. It's amazing to me how this site has changed in the last few years.
I guess it's for the better, but sometimes I actually miss the profanity laced knockdown's I used to have with Cortez ;)

I'm not stopping you Rev, have at Cortez if you'd like. I'll even throw a "motherfucker" or two into the fray. Hell we can have a cussing contest. I just think a dust up over Demonic Possession is a bit silly.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Isn't silliness the whole point of posting on a fan page?
..............mutherfucker :D

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Um...can we get back to Pat Buchanan and Sam Phillips?
besides..you're all drama queens...except for Cortez...he's aiiiightttt
In my blood, there's gasoline..

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

mark lynn wrote:
I don't remember how it ended up on Gangstabilly instead but I've always regretted it's inclusion on any album, as I've always felt it was one of my very lesser songs and the most half baked of anything I've allowed out the door and onto an album. I don't think the track is very well-played on the album either and is by far my least favorite recording in our catalog. Many hate The President's Penis is Missing more, but to me it still holds up for what it intended to do and as a snapshot of a time that unfortunately now comes off as good old days (Green Grinch anyone?). Plus it has the word "Ole'" in the chorus. You gotta love that. If I was doing it now, neither song would make the album.

Patterson

It's nice to know that Mr. Hood knows and understands (and can edit) his music better than his fans. That's a very good thing.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

TDB wrote:

It was incredibly one-sided on a couple of levels. You resorted to the profanity & name calling. I simply gutted your ridiculous statements and occasionally posted an unflattering picture of you that you yourself posted to the 'net. Ahhhhhhhh... the good ol' days. :D
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Penny Lane wrote:you're all drama queens...except for Cortez...he's aiiiightttt

8-)
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

cortez the killer wrote:
TDB wrote:

It was incredibly one-sided on a couple of levels. You resorted to the profanity & name calling. I simply gutted your ridiculous statements and occasionally posted an unflattering picture of you that you yourself posted to the 'net. Ahhhhhhhh... the good ol' days. :D

I had forgotten about the pictures. Those were always entertaining.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

No matter what Patterson thinks of the song I still love it. I also consider Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance to be my two favorite Drive-By Truckers albums. When I first heard them I would listen to them non-stop for weeks on end. There's been other albums they've released since then that I like a whole lot but none that have had that same kind of effect on me.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I love how Patterson comes in here from time to time and adds his comments to the song of the week thread.

When I contributed Carl Perkins' Caddy his was the first or second reply and it still makes me smile thinking about it. :mrgreen:
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life