DBT Bass Player auditions.......

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DiamondDave

Re: DBT Bass Player auditions.......

Post by DiamondDave »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
DiamondDave wrote:Jason Newsted ~ Haven't seen his name lately.

Apparently he played with Metallica at their 30th Anniversary show at the Fillmore in San Francisco last night.

That's really cool. I'll have to look around for that & see if Mustaine made an appearance.

Thanks!
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

Who's gonna do Shonna's harmony parts?... They need to audition backing singers as well!

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Michael Anthony - Great bassist, and some kick-ass background vocals to boot.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

If we're talking wild fanatasies, here's mine.

How about Jay Gonzalez on bass, and bring back Spooner on keys? We already know Jay can sing, and from what he's been posting on Facebook, he can write songs, too, what he has put on Facebook sounds fantastic!

Plus, I was at a show in Charlottesville, VA, a few years ago, where I saw him come out and play bass when they did a cover of Stutter. In fact, I happened to take a picture:

Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

CooleyGirl wrote:Plus, I was at a show in Charlottesville, VA, a few years ago, where I saw him come out and play bass when they did a cover of Stutter.

I heard that Mel Tillis does a great version of Stutter also. Sorry....couldn't resist. :oops:
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

CooleyGirl wrote:If we're talking wild fanatasies, here's mine.

How about Jay Gonzalez on bass, and bring back Spooner on keys? We already know Jay can sing, and from what he's been posting on Facebook, he can write songs, too, what he has put on Facebook sounds fantastic!

Plus, I was at a show in Charlottesville, VA, a few years ago, where I saw him come out and play bass when they did a cover of Stutter. In fact, I happened to take a picture:

Hmmmm...interesting.... ;)
In my blood, there's gasoline..

bold99

Post by bold99 »

PeterJ wrote:Michael Anthony - Great bassist, and some kick-ass background vocals to boot.

I just said this to a friend of mine....they could kill their "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" cover.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Carol Young from The Greencards. She can cover the harmonies and bass (plus she's cute as hell too).

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

beergut

Post by beergut »

CooleyGirl wrote:If we're talking wild fanatasies, here's mine.

NFW
Jay needs to stay right where he is.
Especially since adding the B3 to his arsenal.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

n.danger

Post by n.danger »

After 20+ years, change can always be good.

EDIT: Back away from the ledge, Mr. Tweedy.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Steve French wrote:
Henry Rollins is coming to New Zealand next year. I am trying to get shit together to go. Unfortunately it is a real expensive weekend, and I am very poor at present.

But you know, it's Hank! (Wonder if he will autograph my SOA S2 boxset???)

I don't know if he'll sign stuff, but he'll definitely hang around and talk to every single person that wants to talk to him. He's incredibly generous with his time, though I suspect it's because he doesn't want to be alone with himself.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

n.danger

Post by n.danger »

one belt loop wrote:
Steve French wrote:
Henry Rollins is coming to New Zealand next year. I am trying to get shit together to go. Unfortunately it is a real expensive weekend, and I am very poor at present.

But you know, it's Hank! (Wonder if he will autograph my SOA S2 boxset???)

I don't know if he'll sign stuff, but he'll definitely hang around and talk to every single person that wants to talk to him. He's incredibly generous with his time, though I suspect it's because he doesn't want to be alone with himself.

Dude is incredibly long-winded, but interesting as hell.

Henry Rollins after calling the Vice President a liar amidst a USO tour: "I'm a hot potato, and it's too late to drop me, because I'm in your lap."

Hud

Post by Hud »

BostonREB wrote:
Zip City wrote:I was going to suggest Catherine Popper, but apparently she's in Grace Potter and the Nocturnals now :x

Actually, she announced her departure from GP&N last month. She's be a great addition if we can't have Shonna back.

maybe Shonna is going to play bass with Grace P&N, on the Kenny Chesney/Tim Mcgraw tour..... Is this how rumors get started?
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Hud

Post by Hud »

BostonREB wrote:
Zip City wrote:I was going to suggest Catherine Popper, but apparently she's in Grace Potter and the Nocturnals now :x

Actually, she announced her departure from GP&N last month. She's be a great addition if we can't have Shonna back.

maybe Shonna is going to play bass with Grace P&N, on the Kenny Chesney/Tim Mcgraw tour..... Is this how rumors get started?
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

As Neil Young seems disinclined to ever play with Crazy Horse again...how about Billy Talbot for DBT?
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I bet Twiggy Ramirez is available. I'm also pretty sure that Nick, who used to be in Queens Of The Stone Age isn't doing anything right now. He's good with a machete, that might come in handy out there on the hi-ways and bi-ways of this great land of ours.
Keep calm and have a cigar

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Hud wrote:
BostonREB wrote:

What exactly is the rumor being started? The apparent purpose of this thread was for people to toss out names of bass players that we thought could attempt (and I surely do mean only attempt) to fill in Shonna's slot. Fantasy booking if you will. And I am still chuckling over the notion of Bill Wyman stepping in. LOL.

Zip mentioned Cat Popper but for the fact she was in GP&N. I pointed out that she no longer is and that musically (I have no idea about personalities etc.) I think she'd be a good fit. I didn't say it was gonna happen or that it was even in the realm of possibility. I didn't speculate about a swap of bass players or anything else stupid. There's no mention of the GP&N bass situation, Shonna's future or anything else.

My personal feeling is that if at all possible, I'd like to see another badass rock chick on the bass. I think that is one of the things that has always made the band unique. Not to mention that I love a female voice on the harmonies.

And for the record, I'd like to note that Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney both blow chunks. ;)
Send lawyers, guns and money....

zoid

Post by zoid »

Kenny "The Machine" Oliverio from Dread Clampitt

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'd kind like to see where this Barbe thing goes. I could see that working out really well. Who knows what he would bring to the creative process if he was playing on all the songs?

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

I'd kind like to see where this Barbe thing goes. I could see that working out really well. Who knows what he would bring to the creative process if he was playing on all the songs?

That's my vote, too. Barbe's why I'm even more motivated to hit DC or Athens.
Three guitars or a life of crime

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Their history with finding great musicians is impeccable. (Who had heard of Jay or Shonna before they joined). They'll find a bass player that is in a band in Athens or Shoals that none of us have ever heard from, and he (or she) will blow us away with how great he (or she) is.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Their history with finding great musicians is impeccable. (Who had heard of Jay or Shonna before they joined). They'll find a bass player that is in a band in Athens or Shoals that none of us have ever heard from, and he (or she) will blow us away with how great he (or she) is.

Well said! I'm excited to see what comes next, and look forward to see and hear David Barbe in the meantime.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Their history with finding great musicians is impeccable. (Who had heard of Jay or Shonna before they joined). They'll find a bass player that is in a band in Athens or Shoals that none of us have ever heard from, and he (or she) will blow us away with how great he (or she) is.

I agree thats probably what will happen. I'd still like to see Tina Weymouth or Kim Gordon filling in though.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Sometimes I come up with good ideas: here's one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Yseult

Shes from North Carolina, she played on one of my favourite records of all time, she's old enough but not too old (looking at you Bill Wyman).

Done.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

26 Mile Drive

Post by 26 Mile Drive »

chick from Grace Potter.....

tweedrules

Post by tweedrules »

Mike Watt

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

tweedrules wrote:Mike Watt

Oh Yeah! I saw him two years ago with The Stooges.

Alternatively Bosco Mann. Or the chick they (Dap kings) sometimes substitute with.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Me!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

26 Mile Drive wrote:chick from Grace Potter.....

Look up several posts ;)
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dangerbird

Post by dangerbird »

[quoteWhat about Will Johnson playing bass? He's a incredible third songwriter as well.][/quote]

Will is way to talented to loose what what he has going on by joining DBT.