DBT Track # 80 - Nine Bullets

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sub

DBT Track # 80 - Nine Bullets

Post by Sub »

This week I decided to pick Nine Bullets a song which obviously holds a special place around here as it was our previous website name. Certainly a classic and a song I've always enjoyed.

Nine Bullets
My roommate's gun got nine bullets in it
Nine bullets in my roommate's gun
My roommate's gun got nine bullets in it
Gonna find a use for every last one

One for the love who chose to betray me, a real fine love who wouldn't be true
One for the man that she betrayed with, a nice enough fella, she'll betray him too
A nice enough fella, she'll betray him too

One for my boss man, riding my butt again, sorry sir, but you'd better clock out
One for the lady down at the laundrymat, who goes through my dryer pulling one sock out
She goes through my dryer pulling one sock out

One just to put me out of my misery
I better aim that sucker true
I'll leave a note that says I'm sorry but I went off the deep end when I fell for you
I went off the deep end when I fell for you

One each for my immediate family, they'll be so disappointed to see what I done
One left over, I'll save it for my roommate
After all it's my roommate's gun
After all it's my roommate's gun

My roommate's gun got nine bullets in it Nine bullets in my roommate's gun
Roommate's gun got nine bullets in it
Gonna find a use for every last one Gonna find a use for every last one
Gonna find a use for every last one

Lyrics by Patterson Hood
Music by Drive-by Truckers ©1997 Soul Dump Music
Originally written on stage in Opelika, AL. P. Hood and M. Cooley 3/13/92

beergut

Re: DBT Track # 80 - Nine Bullets

Post by beergut »

This song is what turned me on to DBT and I'm still chasing it after ten years. (sung by Patterson that is-I've seen Jason sing it)

I was way into the band Big Ass Truck years ago and they covered 9 Bullets on their record Who Let you in Here in 1998.
I figured the originators of such a great song had to be good as well. How could you go wrong with truck in your name?

The rest as they say well.........
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

Flea

Post by Flea »

My license plate

Last edited by Flea on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now it's dark.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

beergut wrote:I was way into the band Big Ass Truck years ago and they covered 9 Bullets on their record Who Let you in Here in 1998.

Crazy. I saw Big Ass Truck in '98 I'm pretty sure.

They put on a great show!

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Sub wrote:Originally written on stage in Opelika, AL. P. Hood and M. Cooley 3/13/92

:shock: This song is older than I am. :oops: :oops:

I know Jason's picked this one up, but how long has this one been out of DBT's rotation? It would be alsum if Patterson decided to pull 9B out again, the same way he resurrected Wife Beater on the last tour.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smarty Jones wrote:
Sub wrote:Originally written on stage in Opelika, AL. P. Hood and M. Cooley 3/13/92

:shock: This song is older than I am. :oops: :oops:

I know Jason's picked this one up, but how long has this one been out of DBT's rotation? It would be alsum if Patterson decided to pull 9B out again, the same way he resurrected Wife Beater on the last tour.

I heard it at one of the DC shows earlier this year, and I think again at either the Wellmont or Brooklyn Bowl.

Love the line about the lady pulling his sock out of the dryer. I remember reading somewhere along the way that Patterson had some reluctance to play the song around the time of the Columbine shootings. I guess he's gotten past that. Great song.
If you don't run you rust

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

9 Bullets is a great country song. I can't believe it has never been the song of the week before!

I love the idea of Patterson and Cooley writing songs together. It’s probably as rare as Lennon and McCartney actually writing songs together.

Flea – way to represent man. That’s cool.

Clams, love that second You tube video from the corner of some old some record store. Neff is killing it as usual and Shonna T is laying some sweet harmonies down. It sounds fantastic.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

Nine Bullets was the second DBT song I ever heard (after SMQ), and it played a huge role in getting me hooked on the band.

My favorite part is the fun little tail they play at the end of what's essentially a murder-suicide note. If there's a pantheon of black humor, that tail's in it. Upon hearing it, I knew this band was for me.

I have to say in all honesty, though, it's one of the few songs (Company I Keep is the other) that I actually prefer the "studio" version to any live version I've heard (either in person or through archive.org). With both I like the louder and fuller sound you get off of Pizza Deliverance.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

First song I ever heard by the DBTs thanks to it being on the second Revival compilation (Kudzu n' Hollerin' Contest) on Yep Roc back in the late 90s.

It was also mentioned by author David Klein during his appearance on Rick Cornell's Dirty Laundry radio program a few weeks ago when David was on to discuss his upcoming book, If 6 Was 9 and Other Assorted Number Songs. For anyone that attended the Simple Words: The Power of Narrative Songs panel (of which Patterson was a part) during Hopscotch this year, David is the one that moderated the discussion.

Sub

Post by Sub »

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

You know what I love about this song? The line about the lady down at the laundry mat. Cause what makes it interesting is considering the psychology of it. Its just the perfect little subtle illustration of lashing out against some perceived wrong that is in all likelihood his own fault...cause who the fuck would do that to somebody on a regular basis? ;) Even if you are a victim of injustice the way in which you handle it and recover, learn and move on is a testament to one's character. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying blame the victim or saying well, they should'a known better in each individual circumstance but rather if you're unable to objectively consider what role you play in the circumstance and always consider yourself the unequivocal victim, I think you're destined to always be one. Sort'a related to Patterson's point about Buttholeville being a state of mind, not just the state of Alabama. :D
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

dklein

Post by dklein »

Hey Kudzu,
Thanks for mentioning my book, If 6 Was 9 And Other Assorted Number Songs and for attending the Hopscotch panel (and for getting my name and book title right).
Patterson Hood definitely brought his A-game to that panel that afternoon, and I was very appreciative, having never moderated one before. Afterward we got to talk a bit. He Had the show in City Plaza in a few hours but was in no hurry. He signed my son’s vinyl copy of Southern Rock Opera, showed me pictures of his kids on his iPhone, and told a few of us in detail how he had come to injure his hand. It was some great post-panel chit-chat.
Anyway, I wanted to let you know that the book is now available in softcover, if you can't wait for the eBook, which is coming in early '12.
It's here: http://bit.ly/tXfxNo
Best,
David

Kudzu Guillotine

dklein wrote:Hey Kudzu,
Thanks for mentioning my book, If 6 Was 9 And Other Assorted Number Songs and for attending the Hopscotch panel (and for getting my name and book title right).
Patterson Hood definitely brought his A-game to that panel that afternoon, and I was very appreciative, having never moderated one before. Afterward we got to talk a bit. He Had the show in City Plaza in a few hours but was in no hurry. He signed my son’s vinyl copy of Southern Rock Opera, showed me pictures of his kids on his iPhone, and told a few of us in detail how he had come to injure his hand. It was some great post-panel chit-chat.
Anyway, I wanted to let you know that the book is now available in softcover, if you can't wait for the eBook, which is coming in early '12.
It's here: http://bit.ly/tXfxNo
Best,
David

David, thanks for dropping by to give us all the lowdown. Can't wait to read the book.

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Nine Bullets is one of my all time favorites. :D

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I'll remember their version from the Dirt Underneath tour. It was one big sing along.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

One of my all-time favorites too.

When I really got heavily into the band, I was living with a bunch of guys (more guys than bedrooms) in a shit hole party house in our college town. An overqualified lawn mower/landscaper that would work 13 hours a day, come home and get drunk/stoned and just repeat it in the morning. As you can imagine, there were some occasional tensions bewteen a bunch of guys who were between 19-22, living in squalor, and partying constantly. I always chuckled at the line about "one left over, I'll save it for my roomate" because there were certainly times when we all wanted to kill each other. 9 Bullets, and really a lot of the tunes on PD were pretty applicable to our living situation at the time (Company I Keep comes to mind as well).

The best part though, was that we all loved DBT, so when we had parties, there was often a Trucker-heavy sound track. :D

Kudzu Guillotine

Recently I went rummaging through a bunch of old newspaper clippings and other shit I've amassed over the years in search of old press releases I have stashed away for Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance. I didn't find those but I did find this, which comes from a brochure for the Revival Vol. 2: Kudzu n' Hollerin' Contest compilation on Yep Roc Records I mentioned previously in this thread. Ground zero for me when it comes to the Truckers.