DBT TRACK #70 - My Sweet Annette

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Gang Green

DBT TRACK #70 - My Sweet Annette

Post by Gang Green »

One of the many things I love about Patterson Hood is his story telling ability and "My Sweet Annette" is just another example. Another thing I love is that he writes about screw-ups or people srewing-up. In the case of MSA, we have people screwing-up though they have every intention not to. And, people have even been screwing-up since 1933. Many, many years ago, someone once said to me "you can never save a man from himself," which seems to be true for many of Patterson's song subjects.

MSA is one of his songs I've wanted to hear in concert but never did (I know he started playing it again this tour on occasion). I've never seen anyone talk or write about this song. I've read a lot of Patterson Hood interviews and I must have missed the interviews where he discusses this song. I would love to know what this song is based on.

(Me and my Annette, we was as fond as we could be
We was set to marry in October 33
I set my sights on courtin' her, as fine as she could be
I never even noticed her best friend Marilee
Took a job at the saw mill and I bought my girl a ring
Had a pre-wedding party, close friends and family
Everything was fine, eatin' homemade ice cream
I swear I never noticed maid of honor, Marilee
My Sweet Annette was left standing at the alter.

Marilee was taken ill, it was several miles from home
Back then it wasn't fittin' for a girl to leave alone
Sweet Annette, she asked me to walk her to the door
As innocent as children back before the war

Lord have mercy for what we done, Lord have mercy when to people get alone
Neither one of us had done anything like that you see
By the next sunset, I had eloped with Marilee,

GuitarManUpstairs

Re: DBT TRACK #70 - My Sweet Annette

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

This is a goodie! Caught it earlier this year in Asheville. I believe I heard Patterson based the story off one of his great uncle's experience. (Not George A.)

I'm not so sure this song is so much about screwing up as it is about following your heart. If i remember the back-story accurately Marilee and Patterson's uncle ran off and stayed married for many years, so its not as if this was just a fling. I think the underlying message in the story is that sometimes its necessary to just go with your heart and unfortunately sometimes that means unintentional consequences for other parties involved. I don't think the narrator here ever envisioned or intended on hurting "his sweet Annette." After all he pursued her, there was absolutely nothing flawed about her. They were not fighting everything was FINE....but apparently there was just something missing that he found in Marilee. I think the narrator feels guilty and sorrow for the circumstances but couldn't see himself not making that decision. So he begs forgiveness with the understanding that he felt it was ultimately teh right decision.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I've it 3 or 4 times (about half the shows I've made it too lol) and it's def one of my favorites, especially after catching it on the TDU tour. I know Patterson said while it doesn't exactly mirror the events of his 2nd(?) marriage, a lot of the feelings from that situation are what inspired the song.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

One of the things I love most about DBT is that the same band that can cut a Lookout Mountain can turn around and do My Sweet Annette. And do them both from the heart. I was reading a story about the formation of the OSS/CIA and one quote hit me like a ton of bricks - "we want phd's who can win a barfight." That's the Truckers right there.
Three guitars or a life of crime

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I have nothing to contribute, other than to say if I wrote a song this good, I'd retire.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:This is a goodie! Caught it earlier this year in Asheville. I believe I heard Patterson based the story off one of his great uncle's experience. (Not George A.)

I'm not so sure this song is so much about screwing up as it is about following your heart. If i remember the back-story accurately Marilee and Patterson's uncle ran off and stayed married for many years, so its not as if this was just a fling. I think the underlying message in the story is that sometimes its necessary to just go with your heart and unfortunately sometimes that means unintentional consequences for other parties involved. I don't think the narrator here ever envisioned or intended on hurting "his sweet Annette." After all he pursued her, there was absolutely nothing flawed about her. They were not fighting everything was FINE....but apparently there was just something missing that he found in Marilee. I think the narrator feels guilty and sorrow for the circumstances but couldn't see himself not making that decision. So he begs forgiveness with the understanding that he felt it was ultimately teh right decision.

Great points Guitar Man, and, perhaps, screwing-up is a bit strong. But, I just can't get past the havoc which must of been created when Sweet Annette was left standing at the alter, and imagine how her, her parents and all of her extended family must have felt. Think of the embarrassment his family, whoever it is, must have felt. We're talking 1933 in Northern Alabama or somewhere in the South, I presume. He knows he's screwing-up but he can't stop himself, he's following his heart. Maybe Deceration Day could be the sequel, just kidding. What a great period piece movie this story would make.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote:I have nothing to contribute, other than to say if I wrote a song this good, I'd retire.

This.

To think this track made it to week 70... :shock:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Gang Green wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:This is a goodie! Caught it earlier this year in Asheville. I believe I heard Patterson based the story off one of his great uncle's experience. (Not George A.)

Great points Guitar Man, and, perhaps, screwing-up is a bit strong. But, I just can't get past the havoc which must of been created when Sweet Annette was left standing at the alter, and imagine how her, her parents and all of her extended family must have felt. Think of the embarrassment his family, whoever it is, must have felt. We're talking 1933 in Northern Alabama or somewhere in the South, I presume. He knows he's screwing-up but he can't stop himself, he's following his heart. Maybe Deceration Day could be the sequel, just kidding. What a great period piece movie this story would make.

Oh i agree 100% - its tragic in that sense. Annette is a true victim of circumstance. But as much as i sympathize with her and what feelings of resentment must have come out, i can't completely blame him for making the decision he made either. I mean if he had a conscience, the gravity of his decision really sort of underscores how strongly he must have felt about it. I can only hope that 'standing at the alter' was not literally the case and he didn't just leave without a word or phone in and say "Oh I really care about ya hun, but I'm not show'in up tomorrow and BTW I'm runn'in off to marry your best friend instead..." Were not really told the details about how the news was broken and how it was handled exactly but hopefully it was done with as much tact as could be mustered given the situation.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

this man helps make the song, IMO

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:I have nothing to contribute, other than to say if I wrote a song this good, I'd retire.

This.

To think this track made it to week 70... :shock:

and that someone picked "Your Woman is a Living Thing" ahead of it :lol:
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

I'm surprised this doesn't get more love. Actually, surprised it wasn't on "greatest hits" (what are we officially calling it?) When I started making everyone I knew a DBT mix CD when I was fisrt bowled over by them, Annette was one of the primary tunes people gravitated towards. They maybe didn't immediately get some of the "rawk" aspects of SRO, but they caught the soulful bluegrassiness of MSA the moment they heard it. One of my favorites, not only because I love everything about it (can anyone say "more fiddle?"), but because it was the entre/hook that caught many of the peeps that I've turned on to DBT.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

It's also one of my very favorite tracks. I know one reason I loved it so much at the time is that it sounded like it could have fit on either Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance just based on the "country-ness" of it alone and was a sign that they hadn't abandoned that sound altogether.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's also one of my very favorite tracks. I know one reason I loved it so much at the time is that it sounded like it could have fit on either Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance just based on the "country-ness" of it alone and was a sign that they hadn't abandoned that sound altogether.

Kudzu, don't get me wrong, I always agree with your posts. But, this song is perfect for Decoration Day.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Gang Green wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:It's also one of my very favorite tracks. I know one reason I loved it so much at the time is that it sounded like it could have fit on either Gangstabilly or Pizza Deliverance just based on the "country-ness" of it alone and was a sign that they hadn't abandoned that sound altogether.

Kudzu, don't get me wrong, I always agree with your posts. But, this song is perfect for Decoration Day.

I don't think he was saying it wasn't, just that it harked back to the more country-style of PD & GB. "The Deeper In" wouldve fit too

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
Gang Green wrote:

I don't think he was saying it wasn't, just that it harked back to the more country-style of PD & GB. "The Deeper In" wouldve fit too

Exactly.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Smitty wrote:
Gang Green wrote:

Guys, maybe I was a little harsh, sorry about that. I was just saying I love where the song fits in DD between Marry Me and Outfit. I've been listening to DD alot lately and I've grown accustomed to it's track order.

misterbrow

Post by misterbrow »

Where is the Annette POV song written by Cooley? or Jason? on Jay?

Thinking Cooley sang the female part on Birthday Boy...

You could do TVA, Uncle Frank, Annette, Isbell Annette song

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

misterbrow wrote:Where is the Annette POV song written by Cooley? or Jason? on Jay?

If you're so inclined, "You Got Another" works.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Smitty wrote:
misterbrow wrote:Where is the Annette POV song written by Cooley? or Jason? on Jay?

If you're so inclined, "You Got Another" works.
She's a woman. That's cheating.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I bought a new Dell PC around '04 or '05, and this song (along with a They Might Be Giants tune) was preloaded on WMP.

I think this is their finest "Americana/alt country" song and somewhat unique in their catalog; some days its in my top three Hood songs.

Something along the lines of this sound is what I would prefer their next record to be, or at least a revisiting of their countrier or folkier side. Of course I'll be happy regardless...

misterbrow

Post by misterbrow »

I think Cooley could do better but...

Cooley singing "You Got Another" before Annette would be interesting. If you ever got Isbell singing it, it would be jaw dropping, like Pat sitting in with him and playing Annette.

DId they ever do those two songs together?

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Smitty wrote:I bought a new Dell PC around '04 or '05, and this song (along with a They Might Be Giants tune) was preloaded on WMP.

I think this is their finest "Americana/alt country" song and somewhat unique in their catalog; some days its in my top three Hood songs.

Something along the lines of this sound is what I would prefer their next record to be, or at least a revisiting of their countrier or folkier side. Of course I'll be happy regardless...
It's funny you mentioned this, because I to bought a new Dell PC around 2004 or 05 and this song was loaded on to mine as well. And, the version on the PC had a bit of banter between, I'm not sure who, at the end of the song. And, I didn't really know about DBT back then, but this recording somehow stuck with me as I went from desk top to desk top to PC to IPod to Iphone.

Regarding Patterson Hood, I often categorize him as a "stream of conciseness" type of song writer and Cooley as the songsmith. But, "My Sweet Annette", is such an unbelievably, perfectly crafted song by Patterson Hood. I mean he works this incredible story, into a neat tidy package. I can't say enough about this song, the reason I started this thread, several years ago.