dbt tracks - # 69 - DEAD, DRUNK & NAKED

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt tracks - # 69 - DEAD, DRUNK & NAKED

Post by Clams »

To me, this song is a first cousin of "Company I Keep" because it's got that great sing-along chorus but, the more you think about it, you realize that the song isn't all fun and laughs - there's actually a lot of sadness hidden in there. Great song.

When I was a young boy I sniffed a lot of glue
Mom sent me to rehab, they told me what to do
We didn't have much money; the lord picked up the tab
They made me write him love songs, sitting in my room

Now I just drink whiskey and drive around my friends
Get a haircut, get a job, maybe born again
And if you're living badly, we'll tell you how to live
Dead, drunk, and naked...

If you're out there listening, I just want you to know
I been doing just fine, psychiatrists tell me so
My scars are patched up; my arms have almost healed
My demons almost tranquilized, my pains almost killed

Me and old Jack Daniel's, become the best of friends
We got all them Baptist's to die for our sins
I know the lord is coming
The South will rise again! (Dead, drunk, and naked)

Daddy used to tell me, everything comes down to what they say about you when you're not around
And I wish that he was here now, I'm sure he would be proud
No one talks about me; the voices are too loud.

So if you come to see me, I'm sure you'll be impressed
By how well I'm behaving and how well I'm dressed
If you come to see me, hope you're coming soon

Dead, drunk, and naked...
Last edited by Clams on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't run you rust

ScottyC

Re: dbt tracks - # 69 - DEAD, DRUNK & NAKED

Post by ScottyC »

Patterson told the story about this one at TDU show in Atlanta and made it sound like the guy he wrote it about was at the show.

To paraphrase, it was about a guy who was taken away by the state and was put into a church based rehab facility. He stated the guy didnt do much but could write amazing spiritual songs and that patterson wrote this song about him while working at a restaurant, and wrote it on break on a napkin. He said the restuarant was in Buckhead and went on to say how much he hated all of Buckhead.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

It took 69 weeks to get to this one?? One of my absolute favorites I love how Patterson varies his cadence for each verse. Just a damned good song, oh and it kicks major ass live too.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ScottyC wrote:Patterson told the story about this one at TDU show in Atlanta and made it sound like the guy he wrote it about was at the show.

To paraphrase, it was about a guy who was taken away by the state and was put into a church based rehab facility. He stated the guy didnt do much but could write amazing spiritual songs and that patterson wrote this song about him while working at a restaurant, and wrote it on break on a napkin. He said the restuarant was in Buckhead and went on to say how much he hated all of Buckhead.

Actually, I believe it was Patterson's old roommate from that period (Brandon Haynie) at the show.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

One of my all time favorite DBT tracks. Love everything about it. I don't have time to write much now, but I wanted to say that Patterson changing the original lyrics from the fourth verse:

Me and OJ Simpson become the best of friends.
We got St. Cobain to die for our sins.
I know the Lord is coming,
I read it in Spin!

to this:

Me and old Jack Daniel's become the best of friends.
We got all them Baptists to die for our sins.
The South will rise again!

made a huge difference to me.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

ariedl wrote:One of my all time favorite DBT tracks. Love everything about it. I don't have time to write much now, but I wanted to say that Patterson changing the original lyrics from the fourth verse:

Me and OJ Simpson become the best of friends.
We got St. Cobain to die for our sins.
I read it in Spin!

to this:

Me and old Jack Daniel's become the best of friends.
We got all them Baptists to die for our sins.
The South will rise again!

made a huge difference to me.

here's a recording with the original lyrics

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I like the reworked lyrics better. I've seem Clams write that there are a LOT of good songs left for song of the week but Damn....Dead Drunk & Naked was still out there? Wow. Great fuckin' song.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

when first got sro, i scanned the liner notes. this song title jumped out at me...i thought it was overly directly obvious to a point of being cheesy. i sometimes think i'm smart like that.

voices are too loud lyric stuck it in my eye.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ScottyC wrote:Patterson told the story about this one at TDU show in Atlanta and made it sound like the guy he wrote it about was at the show.

He also told it during their first acoustic show at Pine Hill Farm (during the story Rob Malone pretended to nod off, I guess he'd heard it once or twice before). I haven't listened to that show in a while but what stands out in my memory is the main character driving off from a gas station with the gas nozzle still lodged in his tank.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Some days, my favorite DBT song, because it was the first one I heard. I can't get enough of that opening riff. Just a fantastic, perfect song. Encapsulates everything I love about DBT, specifically, Patterson's songs.

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

It was one of my early favorites back when I first started listening to the band in early 06.
Keep calm and have a cigar

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Did not know about that changed verse - very interesting & I agree, an improvement. Also agree w/ those who've said that there's a lot of misdirection involved in this song, starting w/ the title - there's a lot more going on than what at first glance or listen might seem like a mindless party anthem.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

He also told it during their first acoustic show at Pine Hill Farm (during the story Rob Malone pretended to nod off, I guess he'd heard it once or twice before). I haven't listened to that show in a while but what stands out in my memory is the main character driving off from a gas station with the gas nozzle still lodged in his tank.

I did this once.... :? In college - Complete fuck'in accident - had a ton on my mind and was in a hurry. I really didn't know what to do...it wasn't pouring gasoline so i just took off. Probably shouldn't have done that but then again I think the oil companies have made their fair share and then some off me since so i don't feel too bad about it.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I did this once.... :? In college - Complete fuck'in accident - had a ton on my mind and was in a hurry. I really didn't know what to do...it wasn't pouring gasoline so i just took off. Probably shouldn't have done that but then again I think the oil companies have made their fair share and then some off me since so i don't feel too bad about it.

I done that once too - it actually tore the "gun" part off the hose, but it wasn't pouring out gasoline either, so in a panic I took off.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Don't know what you should have done, but it wasn't the "oil companies" as in big oil that got stuck w/ the bill. It was the local gas station.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

dime in the gutter wrote:when first got sro, i scanned the liner notes. this song title jumped out at me...i thought it was overly directly obvious to a point of being cheesy. i sometimes think i'm smart like that.

voices are too loud lyric stuck it in my eye.

Which brings me to what is one of my favorite DBTs lines ever, "Daddy used to tell me, everything comes down to what they say about you when you're not around".

Sterling Big Mouth

Post by Sterling Big Mouth »

You can find the acoustic set where he explains it on Southern Shelter.

I just wanted to add a few notes about a song that's on my short list of short lists for favorite DBT songs:

It has one the best rock riffs I've ever heard, one that I wouldn't mind having on perpetual loop in my head.

I'm pretty sure Patterson stretched out DD&N to tell a great welcoming story on NYE at Terminal 5, and I remember being so happy that they not only played it, but used it to tell everyone how much they had been looking forward to that show. They also rocked the hell out of that version.

I love how Patterson drops the chorus after the "South will rise again" line. Sometimes the best emphasis is nothing at all, and letting the song speak for itself after that verse just works so well (Jason also does this to a degree on Never Gonna Change after "they said he was moving on a federal level but they couldn't really make it stick, take it from me").

I love Cooley's high harmony in the chorus.

Great and spooky lyrics. I always feel like this kid is getting better at coping with his issues, until I hear the "the voices are too loud." Then the title makes sense.
Three guitars or a life of crime

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

the "The South Will Rise Again" line takes on a different meaning at a sweaty Rock show, shouting along with the audience/

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I swear to god, this is the second day in a row I've heard the intro to "DD&N" through the static on my car radio. It's only the intro so I bet it's background music for some radio ad; any Birmingham people caught it?
BTW, it motivated me to listen to "DD&N" for the first time in who-knows-how-long, and reminded me what a goddamn killer song that is. Maybe it was the Rock Gods sending a message.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Smitty wrote:I swear to god, this is the second day in a row I've heard the intro to "DD&N" through the static on my car radio. It's only the intro so I bet it's background music for some radio ad; any Birmingham people caught it?
BTW, it motivated me to listen to "DD&N" for the first time in who-knows-how-long, and reminded me what a goddamn killer song that is. Maybe it was the Rock Gods sending a message.

Perhaps. if so I got the same message from listening to Chicago sports radio earlier today. One of the shows used it as bumper music going into commercial and coming back from commercial they used Ronnie and Neil. no shit.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Always loved this song, especially the line, "My demons almost tranquilized, my pain's almost killed." It's one of those songs that sounds better to me every time I hear it. FYI, it is not about Brandon Haynie, it's based on another Brandon we knew back a long time ago. I don't believe he's with us anymore.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

willsfc

Post by willsfc »

Patterson tells a story about the song in this vid from Birmingham earlier this month

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Caught the ad tonight - "DD&N" is background music for an ad for this:
The Bedzzz Express FREE home and garden show is August 23rd through 25th at the Pelham Civic Complex brought to you by authentic restoration and WBPT. Join us and multiple exhibitors as they display the best in home improvement! Plus, you can win a $5000 home makeover! Admission and parking is absolutely FREE! The Bedzzz Express FREE home and garden show at the Pelham Civic Complex is August 23rd through the 25th.

strange choice, but whatever.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

This was my "first favorite DBT song" after I had initially purchased SRO, my first DBT album. That summer(2008) we got cabins in Blue Ridge, Georgia with my wife's family; we took along a good friend (whom some of you may have met at Richmond and C-ville shows, Beef--he's a big guy, a professional wrestler).

The cabins were in the middle of nowhere,and we listened to SRO at every opportunity. Anyway, many times during the cabin week, I'd look at Beef and ask, "Buddy, are we going to get dead, drunk, and naked tonight?" To which he'd reply, "Beaverdam, we'll probably get drunk, and we might get naked, but please lets not die, yet!"

I too love the guitar riff, but I must agree that the story is really sad when one takes time to consider it.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

This was my "first favorite DBT song" after I had initially purchased SRO, my first DBT album. That summer(2008) we got cabins in Blue Ridge, Georgia with my wife's family; we took along a good friend (whom some of you may have met at Richmond and C-ville shows, Beef--he's a big guy, a professional wrestler).

The cabins were in the middle of nowhere,and we listened to SRO at every opportunity. Anyway, many times during the cabin week, I'd look at Beef and ask, "Buddy, are we going to get dead, drunk, and naked tonight?" To which he'd reply, "Beaverdam, we'll probably get drunk, and we might get naked, but please lets not die, yet!"

I too love the guitar riff, but I must agree that the story is really sad when one takes time to consider it.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I just read a news story about a woman who was arrested while driving naked and drunk (in Michigan, I believe), and the headline made me think of this song!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Beaverdam wrote:I just read a news story about a woman who was arrested while driving naked and drunk (in Michigan, I believe), and the headline made me think of this song!
Must be this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... naked.html

shit, that needs it's own song!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:I just read a news story about a woman who was arrested while driving naked and drunk (in Michigan, I believe), and the headline made me think of this song!
Must be this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... naked.html

shit, that needs it's own song!
A mash up of DD&N and The Deeper In ("7 years in Michigan") should do it.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Great song, one of my long time favorites. You can't listen to it and not smile and stomp your feet. :D