Hangout Music Festival

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: Hangout Music Festival

Post by Penny Lane »

gerg wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:great to meet you, too, dude...yes that set rocked.

Hangout was the best festival I've ever been to, hands down. I'm already planning hangout 2012..

great seeing all the 3DDers and meeting a few new ones!

How were the Foo Fighters? I'm only acquainted with the hits, but the return of Pat Smear has me kinda wanting to see them. Just not really into putting up with the crowds. They must put out a massive sound with three guitars.

somehow i acquired a VIP bracelet by Sat AM so I got to see the foo fighters in VIP...and they really were off the charts, i had never seen them before or ever bought one of their albums but i've always had great respect for DG and his songwriting. they tore it up, and that was the best headlining act (Sorry, but Paul Simon is a legend...but zzzzzzzz...he was supposed to play till 11, he played till 10:20, then did 2 encores but it was a little ridiculous in my opinion)...Gerg, I only knew the hits but somehow they have a ton of hits because i knew every song. i dont' deal with crowds either, if i wasnt' able to do VIP, i would have skipped it. I was on the side of the stage for Cee Lo and that whole debacle and FF were great to come out and play those covers (Darling Nicki-prince and a few others)...i really can't say enough about them...

MOTORHEAD was great!! i loved that show...
In my blood, there's gasoline..

gerg

Post by gerg »

Penny Lane wrote:
gerg wrote:

Hangout was the best festival I've ever been to, hands down. I'm already planning hangout 2012..

How were the Foo Fighters? I'm only acquainted with the hits, but the return of Pat Smear has me kinda wanting to see them. Just not really into putting up with the crowds. They must put out a massive sound with three guitars.

somehow i acquired a VIP bracelet by Sat AM so I got to see the foo fighters in VIP...and they really were off the charts, i had never seen them before or ever bought one of their albums but i've always had great respect for DG and his songwriting. they tore it up, and that was the best headlining act (Sorry, but Paul Simon is a legend...but zzzzzzzz...he was supposed to play till 11, he played till 10:20, then did 2 encores but it was a little ridiculous in my opinion)...Gerg, I only knew the hits but somehow they have a ton of hits because i knew every song. i dont' deal with crowds either, if i wasnt' able to do VIP, i would have skipped it. I was on the side of the stage for Cee Lo and that whole debacle and FF were great to come out and play those covers (Darling Nicki-prince and a few others)...i really can't say enough about them...

That's about what I expected to hear wrt Foo Fighters. I need to see them at some point. It's a shame I blew this fest off, as it was the perfect opportunity to see them.

I freaking LOVE Paul Simon. That would have been the tops for me, I'm sure, even if he did play short of his allotted time. I've seen some clips from this tour and find them mesmerizing. His band blows my mind with their detail and clarity.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Maluca3 wrote:What a great festival! After a "spring" of rain and 55 degrees, sun, sand and rock were just what the doctor ordered. Had such a great time, and thanks to bold99's intel got a kickass deal on a condo just two doors down from the fest. One of the best parts was being able to dash "home" for lunch and a dip in the ocean between sets.

PennyLane was a champ holding down the rail and BillinCT and I reaped the benefits of her skills. Great to meet the Dude, and see a few familiar faces from Athens etc. Loved the DBT set, even if it was short and hotter than two muskrats fucking in a wool sock in there. Also got to see my beloved Flaming Lips (they played "What Is The Light?/The Observer" !!!) and MMJ, Avett and Old Crowe. Could not even get close to GirlTalk, and ended up leaving. Since he's local to where I live, I'm spoiled and have seen him a bunch. Foo Fighters were a super pleasant surprise, not least because of their willingness to come out and play a short covers set when Cee Lo pulled a diva and showed up late. Foo FIghters covering Darling Nikki? Hot!

Also too, Hangout broke the cell towers. Eventually I just gave up and quit trying to call or text or anything. I've got some good DBT pics, I think, just gotta take the time to upload.

i've got no business on the rail so of course any time i can save a rail spot for you two!! (btw, OCMS before DBT were wonderful and so was J tyler and the northern lights--whoever they are)..

also, someone told me to turn off the 3G part and i had reception after that, before that it was awful...i missed meeting up with tons of people because there was no coverage...

also, loved that Michael Franti and Matisyahu were on my flight back yesterday :-) ha ha....funny.

and yes, the A/C and sweet condos were the best part...go back between sets and dip in the ocean/hot tub or pool...food was wonderful, didn't seem to be too many younger kids there, which was great...

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

my only beef was that it was too short, and for his catalog a lot of things were left untouched...otherwise, he was fabulous...

Justin Townes Earl was another highlight--tiny TINY stage, only about 30 of us there right before Paul Simon---i sat back in a cabana chair next to the stage and watched...next year i'm tempted to plant myself at that stage...right next to Hang out Restaurant (great food) and there's an outdoor bar with no line.

okay, i could go on all day, if you never go to another festival, go to this one (only i hear it's going to double in size next year so...)

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

Penny, you are being too modest. I can't believe that you are not bragging about walking on the stage of the Boom Boom Room, right before DBT came out. Wow!! I was expecting that Belly Dance!!

Penny Lane wrote:
gerg wrote:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

ha ha..then Craig promptly put me in my place "will you get off the stage and stop being a pain in the ass!" LOL

no idea what kind of power that bracelet brought...

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

After much delay with my connection in Memphis I have made it back. Those who did not attend should strongly considering hitting up next year if things work out. It was great to be able to hit the ocean every morning for swim and a couple beers before heading out to see the music.

Although I enjoyed the DBT set a lot I felt that they kind of got screwed. Their demand as well as that of Old Crowe Medicine Show and Girl Talk far exceeded the mostly closed in tent in which they played. For much of Old Crowe I stood towards the back and and it was many times difficult to hear the vocals. So I feel that when DBT came on they had to compensate for this situation. I was three rows back Cooleyside and the guitars were turned up so loud that it muffled everything else. It sounded as though they played everything pretty well though.
The crowd at DBT was a festival crowd, so you sort of know what you're going to get. But about ten jerk offs pushed their way to the front ( in front of my wife) while I was fetching water and beer and then left after 4 songs. I saw some of the same behavior at the 40 Watt shows this year. What happened to the southern hospitality?

Saw a lot of fantastic live bands this past weekend. Flaming Lips, Warren Haynes, Grace Potter, My Morning Jacket, Paul Simon, Panic, Black Keys, DBT, OCMS.....none were even close to the Foo Fighters. They absolutely brought it!!
Last edited by Cubfan06 on Tue May 24, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

You guys have really whetted my appetite for next years Hangout (hope it's not the same weekend, though). Great bands and scenery, air conditioned tents, condos on the beach - it all sounds really special.

It was great to be able to hit the ocean every morning for swim and a couple beers before heading out to see the music.

I don't watch the news much, but has the Gulf of Mexico been upgraded to an ocean?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Slipkid42 wrote:You guys have really whetted my appetite for next years Hangout (hope it's not the same weekend, though). Great bands and scenery, air conditioned tents, condos on the beach - it all sounds really special.

It was great to be able to hit the ocean every morning for swim and a couple beers before heading out to see the music.

I don't watch the news much, but has the Gulf of Mexico been upgraded to an ocean?

You know what I mean.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Sorry Cubby, my inner cortez just popped out.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

no troubles. It was a funny slip on my part. pun intended.

The Edge
Location: Back in Akron OH. after 5 yrs. in the "Dirty South"

Post by The Edge »

Wow, is about all I can say.

DBT, was the icing on top for what I think, will be one of my greatest memories ever. It's still sinking in, and a repeat visit to The Hangout is already being talked about at my place.

The palm trees and hammocks by the sky bar were a great spot to hear some good sounds early.

Some high-lites for me were;
Grace Potter did a good cover of "Happy" by the Stones. The Foo's doing "Schools Out" and "American Girl".
The Black Keys, 3rd time to see em, and the best they've been.
Of course, like it was already mentioned, The Foo Fighters were like a well oiled machine, plowing through a great set.
I must admit, I was blown away when My Morning Jacket played "Mahgeetah", I never recovered for the rest of Friday night!

The ringing in my ears until sometime Monday afternoon is enough to explain the beating DBT put on me on Sunday. Patterson took no time to tell us any tales, so the band packed 15 songs in a short time span. Better than the short set in Memphis In May last year, and way more powerful.

If not for the Truckers, I may have not went.
Thank you, DBT

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

The Edge wrote:
DBT, was the icing on top for what I think, will be one of my greatest memories ever.

Grace Potter did a good cover of "Happy" by the Stones.

I must admit, I was blown away when My Morning Jacket played "Mahgeetah", I never recovered for the rest of Friday night!

i echo these statements!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

did anyone catch The Avett Brothers?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

Avett Brothers.... two words for that set....KICKED ASS! Loved it!!! My first time seeing them!!

Patterson did have a few words to say about the rapture!!! Hope someone was taping it! It was awesome!!

The crowd was amazing at every set we saw, on the street, in the parking lots, at the package stores, everywhere....great vibe!!!! There were tons of little kids at this festival and they were all so happy! Never heard any of them cry or whine! It was a happy time for everyone! The Foo Fighters were freaking out of their minds!!! It was worth the price to see so many bands in such a cool venue! I never thought I would think being on the beach surrounded by 34,999 other people would be so much fun!!

Hoping to go next year too!!
I wasn't born in the south but I got here as soon as I could!!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

jdwolf wrote:Avett Brothers.... two words for that set....KICKED ASS! Loved it!!! My first time seeing them!!

Patterson did have a few words to say about the rapture!!! Hope someone was taping it! It was awesome!!

The crowd was amazing at every set we saw, on the street, in the parking lots, at the package stores, everywhere....great vibe!!!! There were tons of little kids at this festival and they were all so happy! Never heard any of them cry or whine! It was a happy time for everyone! The Foo Fighters were freaking out of their minds!!! It was worth the price to see so many bands in such a cool venue! I never thought I would think being on the beach surrounded by 34,999 other people would be so much fun!!

As the former king, I must surrender my "most exclamation points in a single post" crown!!! :lol: Sounds like an awesome time and I'm real sorry I missed it.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

gerg wrote:

I haven't read this whole thread so i'm not sure if this has been mentioned but the Foo's did a 2nd set of covers because Cee Lo was late so they got asked to fill in during the day. This was one of the highlights for me. They played Tom Petty, Queen and a bunch of others...then they started playing Darling Nikki by Prince and halfway through Cee Lo showed up and joined them on this. Dave Grohl is the coolest dude ever. He was like "This was my day..I swam in the ocean, took a nap, drank 4 coronas, did 4 shots..then got asked to do an extra set, so we said F#$k yeah!!"

Their Headline set killed....def the band of the fest for me....along with Old Crow and Girl Talk.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Dumbest decision in 2011 was deciding against going to this. Fucking retarded. Pics went up on sites all damn wkend and I couldn't look anymore. Sounds like y'all had a blast! Great hearing about the acts and stories. No chance I miss this in 2012.

bold99

Post by bold99 »

Erdlivz wrote:Dumbest decision in 2011 was deciding against going to this. Fucking retarded. Pics went up on sites all damn wkend and I couldn't look anymore. Sounds like y'all had a blast! Great hearing about the acts and stories. No chance I miss this in 2012.

you sound like just about everyone of my friends who were on the fence and didn't go. It seriously is the best festival I have ever been to...and there is no way I am not going next year regardless of the lineup.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

bold99 wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:Dumbest decision in 2011 was deciding against going to this. Fucking retarded. Pics went up on sites all damn wkend and I couldn't look anymore. Sounds like y'all had a blast! Great hearing about the acts and stories. No chance I miss this in 2012.

you sound like just about everyone of my friends who were on the fence and didn't go. It seriously is the best festival I have ever been to...and there is no way I am not going next year regardless of the lineup.

Yep. I couldn't look at pics online or hear about it afterwards. I'm still avoiding reading too much about it and so forth. A few folks I work with went and started sending me texts/pics of DBT, MMJ, FF and just really anything incorporating the beach-beer-sitting in hammocks-yada-effin-yada. I really don't even feel like asking anyone how it was. :lol:

It sounds like it was set up great too because there were a ton of complaints about long lines and other bullshit that now sounds completely false.

2012 for sure.........if we're still here that is.

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

I did get a little carried away there didn't I? But it was that good! We hadn't gone to a festival since the vibes in 2002 which for a lot of reasons was just one of those perfect music weekend in your life that you thought you could never top but this one blew it out of the park! I hope the lineup is as good next year!!!

beantownbubba wrote:
jdwolf wrote:Avett Brothers.... two words for that set....KICKED ASS! Loved it!!! My first time seeing them!!

As the former king, I must surrender my "most exclamation points in a single post" crown!!! :lol: Sounds like an awesome time and I'm real sorry I missed it.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Apologies in advance; this is a little wordy.

Got back home last night at 10:30, barely alive today at work. Calculated every drug dosage at least 4 times to make sure my scrambled brain didn't kill anything. Still recovering from what was, as has already been pointed out by several people, an incredible festival.

Lots of high points for me personally. First time to see the Flaming Lips - amazing. Seriously, the guy gets into an inflatable plastic ball and rolls around on top of the crowd??? Had seen pictures but actually witnessing it was something to behold. Wayne actually even says "fuck" and its derivatives more than Patterson, if that's possible. Loved the Avetts. Seeing the Foo Fighters mop up for Cee-Lo Green was a glad-to-be-alive moment if there ever was one. Dave Grohl rocks, truly a class act and a major rock star. Grace Potter smokes - the cover of the Stone's "Happy" was unbelievable. Trombone Shorty and Galactic brought it as always. Seeing my kid on stage with Micheal Franti - no words. Leaving my husband for Xavier Rudd next week. ;)

I'm not ready to say that Hangout is the best festival ever, but for an event in its second year it was incredibly impressive. The lines to get drinks were usually pretty short, the bathrooms were amazingly clean (although they were concentrated in one area), there was an amazing chill-out area on the beach with freakin' hammocks and palm trees and misters for Christ's sake! And the crowd, which was by-and-large under 30 (have never seen so many chicks partying in bikinis), was so peaceful and cool, and RESPECTFUL and APPRECIATIVE of all of the musical acts. Only complaints I have are that the lines to get in were ridiculous on Friday afternoon and Saturday - I could have easily walked in without a bracelet but thank god my tiny purse got thoroughly searched! and the lack of free water inside was dangerous - two people passed cold out and hit their heads on the pavement right before my eyes on Sunday, one guy about 15 minutes prior to DBT in the tent that was as Maluca3 put it hotter than two rodents fucking in a wool sock (a poignantly accurate statement).

Walked up to the festival on Sunday and who is standing in front of the first rock star bus we come upon but Brad Morgan, having a smoke break. Our crowd approaches with a Hey, Brad, can't wait for y'all's set this afternoon, and he immediately holds his arm out for a hug. What a sweetheart, had a great chat and got a picture of my boy with him. He told us the whole band (except Cooley, who came down with his family) had come down on the bus from Athens that morning and had pretty much been up all morning (Gulf Shores is easily 8 hours from Athens in a tour bus).

After seeing Franti at the very small stage inside the Hangout Restaurant we didn't get to the Boom Boom Room until about 2:45, and even at that point we couldn't get within 30 feet of the stage. One thing that's different about the Hangout from other festivals I have been to is that people don't camp out at one stage all day and put down blankets and chairs and monopolize an area, which means that the people who are there are usually pretty interested in seeing the band that's playing next (unlike seeing DBT at the Mile High Music Festival last summer, where the front of the stage was populated by Dave Matthews fans playing cards for the better part of the day until their man came on).

It was the fourth time I have seen DBT at a festival, and I guess I didn't have any great expectations, as we all know festival sets can sometimes be disappointing for many reasons, but honestly, I think I had something close to a religious experience on Sunday. The tent was absolutely packed with people to the point that they spilled way out into the surrounding walkways. Our friends were outside and they said you couldn't even hardly walk by the tent, the crowd was so big. There was something about seeing ALL THOSE PEOPLE, screaming and fist-pumping and singing along to every word - it was life-affirming, like, yes, these people FUCKING GET IT. The first time I saw this band I was in a bar with about 49 other people, and I knew they were good, but it felt like no one else knew it. On Sunday, from the moment Patterson greeted the crowd with, "Good, afternoon, welcome to Day Two of the Rapture!", everyone in the vicinity knew that this band was fucking great. Cooley - what a rock star. The guy was on fire, and then after the show he prances across the stage with his adorable kid in his arms! It was so incredibly loud but they were on and they were as good as I have ever seen them. So much fun. Every time I see them I think, I can't possibly love this band anymore than I do, but then, I do.

As a bonus, my kid, safely ensconced in high-end ear plugs and perched on my husband's shoulders for the majority of the show, became a complete and total fan at his first rock show. On Monday my husband left the beach early to head to California for a meeting and my son and I spent the day kayaking and swimming and discussing every song from the show, who wrote it, and what it was about. We covered Jason's departure, the long road to the top, the fact that Patterson once worked in a pizza restaurant (my son is INCREDULOUS at this), and the fact that Cooley will never have to worry about being a ghost to most. This morning his first words to me where, Mom, can we play "Birthday Boy"?

On Monday the headline on the front page of the Mobile Press-Register read, "I FEEL FINE". The article read as follows:

"Drive-By Truckers frontman Patterson Hood acknowledged the averted apocalypse as the band played under the covered Boom Boom Room stage. "Been around the world," he sang, "and it brought me right down to Gulf Shores the day after judgment day." Closing with "Let There Be Rock," a massive wall of guitars and drums, from the album Southern Rock Opera, Hood added a few new lyrics. "I'm on the [fucking] beach," Hood screamed "and the world came to an end a day ago, and I feel fine."

Hell yes, Pat. Me too.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

jdwolf

Post by jdwolf »

Did you not see the water fountains? That was the first thing we scoped out when we got in there Friday, well second, after getting a beer! Filled up my bottle multiple times and splashed my whole body under them too! They were life savers for sure! It was day three before we realized there was at least a second fountain! Although they were right along side of the food concession stands, at times there were so many people that you couldn't see that they were there.

The boom boom room was hot! I had to walk out & stand outside of it for OCMS for fear of passing out! But at the rail for DBT it was actually comfortable! The only downside was waiting in there once OCMS left and missing a set of another band at another stage but it was worth it in the end!

Sounds like your Monday fantastic!!!

Hud

Post by Hud »

I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

colodogdoc wrote:Walked up to the festival on Sunday and who is standing in front of the first rock star bus we come upon but Brad Morgan, having a smoke break. Our crowd approaches with a Hey, Brad, can't wait for y'all's set this afternoon, and he immediately holds his arm out for a hug. What a sweetheart, had a great chat and got a picture of my boy with him. He told us the whole band (except Cooley, who came down with his family) had come down on the bus from Athens that morning and had pretty much been up all morning (Gulf Shores is easily 8 hours from Athens in a tour bus).

Stroker Ace = Family Man. 8-)

colodogdoc wrote:On Sunday, from the moment Patterson greeted the crowd with, "Good, afternoon, welcome to Day Two of the Rapture!", everyone in the vicinity knew that this band was fucking great. Cooley - what a rock star. The guy was on fire, and then after the show he prances across the stage with his adorable kid in his arms! It was so incredibly loud but they were on and they were as good as I have ever seen them. So much fun.

I was hoping someone got this on film, so I was excited to finally find it on YouTube. At the end of the video (LTBR), you can see Cooley run across the stage with his beautiful little daughter, Delilah, in his arms. So adorable!

From the videos I've seen so far, the band was HOT. What a smoking setlist. It sounds like y'all had an alsum time!
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

So did anybody check out Motorhead? Did they play on the same stage as DBT? That would have been a sight.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Diggin that backdrop.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

blackwll wrote:So did anybody check out Motorhead? Did they play on the same stage as DBT? That would have been a sight.

no it was a smaller, non tent stage ..i was there and i think billinCT was there but i didn't see him. my first (and only) motorhead show. it was really awesome...(and i think they played Sat and DBT played sun)

zoid

Post by zoid »

Slipkid42 wrote:You guys have really whetted my appetite for next years Hangout (hope it's not the same weekend, though). Great bands and scenery, air conditioned tents, condos on the beach - it all sounds really special.

According to Wikipedia the Gulf of Mexico IS part of the Atlantic Ocean so yes he can call it the ocean. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Mexico

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thanks colodogdoc for your post.

It made me smile this morning working in an office thinking about seeing DBT at the beach.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life