Song of the Week #36: Bob

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Song of the Week #36: Bob

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So I decided to take the Cooley song I like least and, instead of whine about it, talk about it with an emphasis on what I do like about it. After all, I have a lot of faith in Cooley the songwriter, and maybe I've never given this song a fair chance.

First, let me get my objection to the song out of the way. The line "He might kneel but he never bends over" taken literally is a bad form of judgement on someone, and using it figuratively isn't any better. One of the things that makes Cooley's songwriting so powerful is how non-judgmental he is, but mabye not so here. On the other hand, it's a distinction I've heard from people I liked and respected. And yet…even this part that I don't like is nicely phrased. Further, if it's taken literally rather than figuratively, it raises the question, "How does the narrator know that much about Bob's sex life?" Is he a little closer to Bob than we first might think? Could be.

Now, the rest of the song. There's good stuff here:

Bob goes to church every Sunday, Every Sunday that the fish ain't biting
Bob never has to have dinner with the preacher,
cause Bob never bothered getting married
He likes to drink a beer or two every now and again,
he always had more dogs than he ever had friends
Bob ain't light in the loafers, he might kneel but he never bends over

Bob takes care of his mama, she's the only one he lets call him Robert
She don't drive anymore so he takes her to the store
and keeps her yard looking just like she wants it
Every week at the beauty shop Bob's mama hears
of another woman made another man disappear
Robert ain't exactly scared of women, he's just got his own way of living

Bob's still got an antenna on a pole
two channels come in, two more come and go
He used to watch the news but he don't anymore,
ain't none of it new it's the same as before
He figures all any of it's any good for is keeping everybody bored
till there ain't nobody like Bob anymore

Bob takes care of his mama
she's a mess but he feels like he oughta
How big a mess today? Ask Bob he'll say,
"She's a big one and she's gonna be a lotta"
He likes to drink a beer or two every now and again,
he always had more dogs than he ever had friends
Bob ain't light in the loafers, he might kneel but he never bends over

I figure everybody knows a Bob. He reminds me of my godfather Earl. So, who is Bob?

Let's start with the first verse. Bob isn't religious in any conventional way. How come? Hard to say. He "never bothered" to get married. For most of us, deciding whether or not to get married is a big deal. With Bob, he just "never bothered". Does that make him gay? Maybe, maybe not. Some people just aren't all that sexual, and Bob could be one of them. He likes beer, and prefers dogs to people.

On to verse two. Bob is Robert to his mama, who he's taking care of--his daddy's dead or gone--and she worries about him being disappeared by a woman. It's probably his mama's thought that "Robert ain't exactly scared of women". I don't know how it is where you're from, but there's a long tradition of Ozarker men who were tongue-tied and shy around women. A fair number of them get married off anyway, mostly because their families help get them fixed up. In Bob's case, mama likes having him around the house, with his "own way of living". It's a good way, for her, and Robert doesn't seem to mind.

He doesn't live there, though. Verse three tells us he has his own place, with "an antenna on a pole". He's quit watching the news, which implies he does watch TV on those two-to-four channels that do come in. The news bores him, though, and more, it's an implicit threat to Bob's way of life. Dig a little deeper--"keeping everybody bored till there ain't nobody like Bob anymore". You could read that as Bob seeing news about gay men coming out of the closet, and the closet being his way of life. What does it mean that it keeps "everybody bored", though? You'd think that might be exciting. Or maybe Bob is smarter than we might think at first, and finds the modern world and the rush of events in it boring. Maybe he just likes his life like it is, and doesn't see anyone like him in the news.

He's smart enough in verse four to know his mama, "she's a mess". But he takes care of her anyway, saying, "She's a big one and she's gonna be a lotta". Lotta what? He don't say. Is he a little slow? Or is he just letting whoever asks fill in their own blanks on purpose? There's the one place in the song where I see Cooley in Bob--Cooley leaves us that sort of space in his songs to fit them to our own imagination. We come back around to the ending of the first verse--another Cooleyism in the songwriting style. We're back to beer and dogs and not that many friends, and "Bob ain't light in the loafers, he might kneel but he never bends over".

I still don't like that one figure of speech, but I like Bob--both the man and the song--a lot better than I did when I started thinking through it. I've known, or known of, a few Bobs. Old-fashioned, duty-bound, quiet and shy. Maybe a little too fond of their mamas. More than that, well, it's hard to know a Bob well enough to say.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Re: Song of the Week #36: Bob

Post by Smitty »

I love "Bob" - don't really have much to add to the conversation, though. Sometimes it's best to think less/
I don't really think Bob's gay, though, just misunderstood.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

I actually like this song alot. In regards to your main beef with the song regarding the line "He might kneel, but he never bends over." being judgmental, I think you are partially right, it is, but I think it is more about Cooley addressing the gossip and whispers about Bob by the folks in his community and their judgements and assumptions about his lifestyle. I don't see this as being a condemnation of Bob or of homosexuality, just making a point that Bob is not of that orientation and that is not the reason behind his being aloof.

I think Bob is just the type of person who is perfectly content living his own life and feels like any one else in his life would be a threat to that lifestyle. He feels obligated to his momma so he goes out of his way for her, doing the physical labor around her house to her specifications and puts up with being called Robert. But she's damn well gonna be the only one to interfere with his life. I don't think he's particularly happy about it - "she's a big'un and she's gonna be alotta".....mess, trouble, pain in the ass..... but he's gonna put up with it 'cause he "ought'a".

Basically IMHO I think this song is about Bob's freedom and the fact that he's not going to trade any of it for companionship. He's not gonna "bother" getting married, go to the church social, or get a satellite dish cause he does not wish to "dissolve" into married life, be subject to the preachers condemnation of his occasional beer drinking (or skipping church to fish) and he doesn't give a flying fuck what the Kardashians are doing this week, what Bill-O said, who's protesting what, or who's jumping on Oprah's couch. I think Bob feels like all of these things just serve as distractions/concessions to living his way of life and so he completely withdraws from it.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Clams

Post by Clams »

I don't think he's gay. He's just one of those loner types. I love the song. Fits in perfectly on BTCD.
If you don't run you rust

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Basically IMHO I think this song is about Bob's freedom and the fact that he's not going to trade any of it for companionship. He's not gonna "bother" getting married, go to the church social, or get a satellite dish cause he does not wish to "dissolve" into married life, be subject to the preachers condemnation of his occasional beer drinking (or skipping church to fish) and he doesn't give a flying fuck what the Kardashians are doing this week, what Bill-O said, who's protesting what, or who's jumping on Oprah's couch. I think Bob feels like all of these things just serve as distractions/concessions to living his way of life and so he completely withdraws from it.

i agree wholeheartedly with this..
i don't think Cooley went THERE it, i just think there are a lot of people like Bob out there; he's a loner..
do they ever play this live?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Penny Lane wrote:
GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Basically IMHO I think this song is about Bob's freedom and the fact that he's not going to trade any of it for companionship. He's not gonna "bother" getting married, go to the church social, or get a satellite dish cause he does not wish to "dissolve" into married life, be subject to the preachers condemnation of his occasional beer drinking (or skipping church to fish) and he doesn't give a flying fuck what the Kardashians are doing this week, what Bill-O said, who's protesting what, or who's jumping on Oprah's couch. I think Bob feels like all of these things just serve as distractions/concessions to living his way of life and so he completely withdraws from it.

i don't think Cooley went THERE it, i just think there are a lot of people like Bob out there; he's a loner..

They played it some during the Dirt Underneath tour and Cooley did at the 9:30 Club when Patterson was sick. Scott Baxendale did a great version this year with Cooley in the audience at Nuci's Space. He said it was one of his favorite songs.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

The line "He might kneel but he never bends over" taken literally is a bad form of judgement on someone, and using it figuratively isn't any better. One of the things that makes Cooley's songwriting so powerful is how non-judgmental he is, but mabye not so here.

I think the line is figurative. Bob's willing to kowtow to some of society's expectations (he takes care of his mama and makes it to church sometimes), but we won't go all the way. He's still his own man.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

BigTom wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

They played it some during the Dirt Underneath tour and Cooley did at the 9:30 Club when Patterson was sick. Scott Baxendale did a great version this year with Cooley in the audience at Nuci's Space. He said it was one of his favorite songs.

i was there for that, i just remembered after i typed that...remember thinking how surreal that was
In my blood, there's gasoline..

GuitarManUpstairs

Iowan wrote:
The line "He might kneel but he never bends over" taken literally is a bad form of judgement on someone, and using it figuratively isn't any better. One of the things that makes Cooley's songwriting so powerful is how non-judgmental he is, but mabye not so here.

I think the line is figurative. Bob's willing to kowtow to some of society's expectations (he takes care of his mama and makes it to church sometimes), but we won't go all the way. He's still his own man.

Yep. He's not gonna be society's bitch. ;)

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:He's quit watching the news, which implies he does watch TV on those two-to-four channels that do come in. The news bores him, though, and more, it's an implicit threat to Bob's way of life. Dig a little deeper--"keeping everybody bored till there ain't nobody like Bob anymore". You could read that as Bob seeing news about gay men coming out of the closet, and the closet being his way of life. What does it mean that it keeps "everybody bored", though? You'd think that might be exciting. Or maybe Bob is smarter than we might think at first, and finds the modern world and the rush of events in it boring. Maybe he just likes his life like it is, and doesn't see anyone like him in the news.

I always took the news keeping everybody bored as one of those the news tells people what to think, and limiting what is really going on in the world out there. Bob is one of those guys that feels what he feels, maybe gets his news from the short wave radio or something like that, where there are more "free thinking" people, kind of like Cotter. ;)
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

My take on Bob is this: the people who gossip about him -- the song's narrator -- may be a little concerned about whether or not he is gay. But there is no real proof one way or the other. He is a man's man anyway -- hunting, fishing, the occasional beer at the bar. In previous generations he would be pegged as what they used to call "a confirmed bachelor". Today people wonder if he might be gay. That is more of a commentary on us than Bob.

Now there are three lines which can be taken two ways and I think it is intentional on Cooley's part. The first is the controversial "Bob ain't light in the loafers, he might kneel but he never bends over." I used to have a foreman who used the expression, "I might kneel but I don't bend over." What he meant was he might suck up to the bosses -- kiss their asses, etc... -- but he would never allow himself or his crew to be taken advantage of. If they want us to do extra work they pay overtime. The line can also be taken sexually, that if Bob is in fact gay he is a top.

The next line that can be taken two ways is "Robert ain't exactly scared of women. He's just got his own way of living." On one hand, it is his mother saying he is not afraid of women but he is not going to give up his freedom -- hunt, fish, whenever he wants -- for a wife. He enjoys being able to come and go as he pleases. The other way it can be taken is that "his own way of living" is being gay.

The final line is the bridge. "Bob's still got an antenna on a pole. Two channels come in, two more come and go." It refers to his refusal to buy cable or a sattelite dish. It can also refer to his sexuality. The pole can be phallic. The signals come in but they aren't always strong. And it isn't a priority for Bob anyway.

Cooley has the last laugh. He has penned the most controversial song in the DBT canon. But it is only controversial because the listeners care more about whether or not Bob is getting any than Bob does. The laugh is on us.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

John A Arkansawyer

RevMatt wrote:My take on Bob is this: the people who gossip about him -- the song's narrator -- may be a little concerned about whether or not he is gay. But there is no real proof one way or the other. He is a man's man anyway -- hunting, fishing, the occasional beer at the bar. In previous generations he would be pegged as what they used to call "a confirmed bachelor". Today people wonder if he might be gay. That is more of a commentary on us than Bob.

I'd say it's more a commentary on our times and how far we've come that we're willing to say it out loud now.

But I'm curious--aside from RevMatt, everyone seems pretty sure that Bob isn't gay. I'm with RevMatt--the song's ambiguous and doesn't say one way or another. But when I said Bob reminded me of my godfather Earl, I was palming a card, because I knew and you didn't that Earl was (according to my mom) gay. I could also have said that he reminded me of my Uncle Grant, who wasn't gay and did eventually, late in life (like me) get married, or my grandma's neighbor son, about whom I'm just not sure.

I will say this: Back when people hadn't figured out that artistic, unathletic boys with high-pitched voices weren't necessarily gay, Earl took me aside and gave me some advice. I don't know what was in his mind--maybe just smoothing things over with my father, with whom things were very rough at the time--but he told me I needed to out-hunt and out-fish my father. (As if that were possible!) A man's man is a good way to say it.

So I'm curious: Why do those of you who are pretty sure Bob is straight or simply asexual say that? I'm not saying you're wrong, mind you, just that I don't think the song proves it either way. Maybe even Cooley doesn't know for sure. Art is mysterious.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

GuitarManUpstairs

Why do those of you who are pretty sure Bob is straight or simply asexual say that?

Well for me its pretty straight-forward. "Bob ain't light in the loafers..." Light in the loafers is a, perhaps less than PC but common, phrase that in my experience is used in reference to someone who is homosexual (or rumored to be.). I suppose it could be argued that this line is being used to make the point that Bob does not have a feminine personality, but thats fairly obvious with all the fishing, dogs, beer drinking and yard mowing going on (Stereotypical straight male interests.). So to me it seems redundant for it to be used in this context and I think it is here where the narrator is attempting to spell it out for us.

Not to mention the line where, I imagine it to be actually his mother speaking to the group at the beauty shop (cause this is the only line where he is referred to as Robert.), "Robert ain't exactly scared of women, he's just got his own way of living." If she's saying that being gay is HIS OWN WAY then i think its overreaching 'cause there are millions of gay folks out there...being homosexual does not make him terribly unique....being asexual and choosing his way of life over any sort of companionship is much less common. I would agree that the song is ambiguous in stating Bob's interest in either sex one way or the other. But given the context of the lyrics, I say probably asexual, but it really doesn't make a shit b/c i don't think his orientation is the point of the song.

Honestly in getting caught up in the gay/straight debate I feel like us, the listeners, take on the role of the gossiping community....which is a complete mind fuck if that is in fact what Cooley intended.
Last edited by GuitarManUpstairs on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

GuitarManUpstairs

Just realized I echoed a good bit of what The Good Rev has already touched on...but anyway...

And yes, I think if Cooley is reading this thread he is laughing at us.....

julianrch

Post by julianrch »

In the rural south if you arent married and dont have a girl then a lot of people will wonder. Bob is just fine with his lot and isnt gay he just doesnt want to work too hard for a woman and women are a lot of work.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

"Bob ain't life in the loafers"

Bob isn't gay
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:"Bob ain't life in the loafers"

Bob isn't gay

Let this Arkansawyer put on his Clinton hat for a moment and say, "It depends on what the meaning of gay is."

The whole line is "Bob ain't light in the loafers, he might kneel but he never bends over." I've known people, who I loved and respected, for whom the all-American blow job was one thing and teh buttseks was another when they were making distinctions.

(No, not about themselves. About others.)

However, I'll admit to never having heard "might kneel but never bend over" or variations on that. Those who have and have explained it in terms of relation to authority have a strong argument that it's a figure of speech not to be taken literally.