DBT Song of the Week: Sounds Better In The Song

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

hendooman

Re: DBT Song of the Week: Sounds Better In The Song

Post by hendooman »

^^^Nice thanks for the tip Smitty. :D

Monty610

Post by Monty610 »

One of the "magic moments" of my very first show was Cooley playing this song and forgetting the lines. He looks right down at RevTodd, who had been singing every other line in every other song up to that point, and says, "does anybody know the next line in the song"? Todd gives him a "I dunno" gesture, and Cooley says, "You're fired". Pretty funny and one of the things about that first show that hooked me on the band.

This is Cooley's "World Of Hurt"...

ariedl

Post by ariedl »

Now I'm the one that doesn't want to get off topic, but Smitty, how the hell did you find airplanescreams.org? That was a test site I did a couple of years ago, and any info on it is way out of date. I didn't think that anyone knew the URL, and I literally haven't even looked at it in almost 2 years. If I remember correctly, I never got it to work quite right, so I better go take a look and see if I can clean it up!

Alec

Clams

Post by Clams »

ariedl wrote:Now I'm the one that doesn't want to get off topic, but Smitty, how the hell did you find airplanescreams.org? That was a test site I did a couple of years ago, and any info on it is way out of date. I didn't think that anyone knew the URL, and I literally haven't even looked at it in almost 2 years. If I remember correctly, I never got it to work quite right, so I better go take a look and see if I can clean it up!

Alec

Smitty's good like that.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
ariedl wrote:Now I'm the one that doesn't want to get off topic, but Smitty, how the hell did you find airplanescreams.org? That was a test site I did a couple of years ago, and any info on it is way out of date. I didn't think that anyone knew the URL, and I literally haven't even looked at it in almost 2 years. If I remember correctly, I never got it to work quite right, so I better go take a look and see if I can clean it up!

Alec

Smitty's good like that.

8-)
don't remember how I found it...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I always wondered if the opening riff to "Marry Me" was intentionally meant to reference the Eagles' "Already Gone" or is that what you're getting at here? Considering their disdain for the Eagles I got the impression that it wasn't intentional.

at some show i saw....not positive on the when and where.....tip's during jazzfest before katrina maybe. cooley commented on the eagles riff thing. said something to the effect of fuck the eagles and fuck those who think i stole it from the eagles.....or some shit like that.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

lajakesdad wrote:This is up there with my all time favorite songs. I love how raw it sounds. The vocals pulled back like he is standing away from the mic.

Bingo! The lyrics are tremendous, but to truly appreciate what makes it an amazing song is to listen it and soak in the echoes of Cooley's voice, the sound of the pick going against the grain of the strings, and the bottleneck mastery here.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Ok. I realize DBT was probably tired of comparisons to Skynyrd after SRO, but I just wondered could the lines "'And Lord knows I can't change' sounds better in a song" be referring to the Skynyrd line from the "song" Freebird which says, "Lord knows I can't change" (Free Bird)?????

I've heard both songs 100's of times and never considered this before, but maybe it was obvious.....

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Beaverdam wrote:Ok. I realize DBT was probably tired of comparisons to Skynyrd after SRO, but I just wondered could the lines "'And Lord knows I can't change' sounds better in a song" be referring to the Skynyrd line from the "song" Freebird which says, "Lord knows I can't change" (Free Bird)?????

I've heard both songs 100's of times and never considered this before, but maybe it was obvious.....
I think it's obvious. I caught it the first time I ever heard it
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Zip City wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:Ok. I realize DBT was probably tired of comparisons to Skynyrd after SRO, but I just wondered could the lines "'And Lord knows I can't change' sounds better in a song" be referring to the Skynyrd line from the "song" Freebird which says, "Lord knows I can't change" (Free Bird)?????

Maybe the link between the two songs is obvious, but I was shocked I didn't realize it till now and wondered if I was alone!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Beaverdam wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Maybe the link between the two songs is obvious, but I was shocked I didn't realize it till now and wondered if I was alone!
Which song did you think it sounded better in then?

/just giving you shit
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Beaverdam wrote:
Zip City wrote:

I don't know if you're alone but it seems obvious to me and I'd say the song kind of hangs on getting the reference*. You (a guy) may think you're the man doing your own thing and being the free bird, but in real life "lord knows I can't change" isn't gonna cut it when the mrs/gf is pissed and ready to walk out the door. Not only isn't it going to save the day it's gonna make you sound like a chump, cause it sounds way better in the song when Ronnie is singing it and those geetars are wailing than it does late at nite in the kitchen when you've fucked up again and perhaps for the last time (w/ this woman, anyway).

*A listener can certainly get the gist of the song w/out getting the reference but I would think the song loses a fair bit of power w/out the reference. OTOH, a song w/ lines like "Now she's found herself and I lost mine and I'm just another guy who can't give her anything" has plenty going for it.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

beantownbubba wrote:You (a guy) may think you're the man doing your own thing and being the free bird, but in real life "lord knows I can't change" isn't gonna cut it when the mrs/gf is pissed and ready to walk out the door. Not only isn't it going to save the day it's gonna make you sound like a chump, cause it sounds way better in the song when Ronnie is singing it and those geetars are wailing than it does late at nite in the kitchen when you've fucked up again and perhaps for the last time (w/ this woman, anyway).
It's no accident that line showed up as my sig line when it did, or that it was replaced with the one that's there now when it was, either. The first one came to me too late to do me any good; we're still seeing if I got the second one in time.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:You (a guy) may think you're the man doing your own thing and being the free bird, but in real life "lord knows I can't change" isn't gonna cut it when the mrs/gf is pissed and ready to walk out the door. Not only isn't it going to save the day it's gonna make you sound like a chump, cause it sounds way better in the song when Ronnie is singing it and those geetars are wailing than it does late at nite in the kitchen when you've fucked up again and perhaps for the last time (w/ this woman, anyway).
It's no accident that line showed up as my sig line when it did, or that it was replaced with the one that's there now when it was, either. The first one came to me too late to do me any good; we're still seeing if I got the second one in time.
Can you all just stop laying down the wisdom a couple of days too late. It's no good for my sanity

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

[/quote]

Which song did you think it sounded better in then?

/just giving you shit[/quote]

I'm changing my 3DD moniker from Beaverdam to Captain Obvious!

I realize my realization is far from earth-shattering....I was shocked I never realized! Even without the Free Bird line the song is still a message about trying but failing to change. A great song either way! Maybe he wants to change and can't or maybe he doesn't really want to change. Cooley (like so much of his songs) fills this one with ambiguities which may be interpreted by the listener.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I don't know if this song is autobiographical but I've always taken it like it was. Something somebody said to me about it and some other things in a pm one time. That around that time of SRO/ DD when things weren't going so great...

I don't want to dig much Into Cooley's personal life but I think when you look at the song that way it's even more powerful.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

One of my favorite Cooley songs.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:I don't know if this song is autobiographical but I've always taken it like it was. Something somebody said to me about it and some other things in a pm one time. That around that time of SRO/ DD when things weren't going so great...

I don't want to dig much Into Cooley's personal life but I think when you look at the song that way it's even more powerful.
Didn't both Patterson and Cooley get divorced between those two albums?

Between this one and "Something's Gotta Give", DD had some pretty divorce-heavy themes.

disgruntledgoat

Iowan wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:I don't know if this song is autobiographical but I've always taken it like it was. Something somebody said to me about it and some other things in a pm one time. That around that time of SRO/ DD when things weren't going so great...

Between this one and "Something's Gotta Give", DD had some pretty divorce-heavy themes.
And "Your Daddy Hates Me" and "Heathens"...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:Didn't both Patterson and Cooley get divorced between those two albums?
I believe Cooley has been with his wife for the length of the Truckers. At least as far back as Gangstabilly, she was mentioned in the liner notes ("Nurse Doubleshot", if I'm not mistaken).

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:

Cooley was the only one in the band to not get divorced between those records, but it got pretty close iirc.

Yeah, DD has a divorce suite (heathens thru your daddy hates me).
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

disgruntledgoat

Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:

Cooley was the only one in the band to not get divorced between those records, but it got pretty close iirc.

Yeah, DD has a divorce suite (heathens thru your daddy hates me).
I'm not sure if my listening to DD as much as I am right now is a good thing or a bad thing!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Ever tell yall how much I love this song
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Ever tell yall how much I love this song
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

twice
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Just noticed that :lol: musta been in the zone yesterday