DBT Song of the Week: Sounds Better In The Song

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Bill in CT

DBT Song of the Week: Sounds Better In The Song

Post by Bill in CT »

The tension between the road and a loved one at home is at the core of this Cooley gem.

Dreams are given to you when you're young enough to dream them
before they can do you any harm.
They don't start to hurt, until you try to hold on to them after seeing how they really are.

The narrator allows as how he's not entirely certain she wouldn't be better off without him.

And now she's found herself, and I lost mine
and I'm just another guy who can't give her anything.

All too rarely played these days, it would be great to hear this one in Athens.

Discuss.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Re: DBT Song of the Week: Sounds Better In The Song

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Bill in CT wrote:The tension between the road and a loved one at home is at the core of this Cooley gem.

They don't start to hurt, until you try to hold on to them after seeing how they really are.

The narrator allows as how he's not entirely certain she wouldn't be better off without him.

All too rarely played these days, it would be great to hear this one in Athens.

Discuss.

This is one of my all-time favorites of Cooley. Very rarely heard.
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cooley's most heart-breaking song
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

So my girl and I had to drive about 800 miles this weekend and so we were listening to the Truckers a good bit for the trip to get ready for Athens. She has heard most of their stuff and knows most of it, but for some reason she had never heard this song. She is an English teacher and is really great at breaking down lyrics, which is what we often do when we are in the car together. Sounds Better in The Song comes on and then she wants to hear it again, it was right after we had listened to Loaded Gun in the Closet and if you listen to the two together there is a very common theme about a woman possibly becoming all she can be and not relying on a man or other person to meet their potential. I never drew that connection but if you listen to both of them and recognize they are on the same album there must be a reason this was so prominent on DD. Of course what the women do with this empowerment or lack there of is completely different, but the theme is there.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Brilliant. Perfect. Classic.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

This is up there with my all time favorite songs. I love how raw it sounds. The vocals pulled back like he is standing away from the mic. I was listening to this yesterday and wondering if it has been a song of the week. Excellent choice.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Lord, she gave me everything and never wanted anything I couldn't give.
Just what was inside of me.

Those lines kill me everytime. A completely selfless and unconditional love, only asking to be let under the hard exterior, but denied. I've read that around the time they finished SRO and made DD most of the relationships between band members and their SO's were falling apart, so this song to me really shines a light on what must have been going on for all of them at that time.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

colodogdoc wrote:Lord, she gave me everything and never wanted anything I couldn't give.

Those lines kill me everytime. A completely selfless and unconditional love, only asking to be let under the hard exterior, but denied. I've read that around the time they finished SRO and made DD most of the relationships between band members and their SO's were falling apart, so this song to me really shines a light on what must have been going on for all of them at that time.

x2
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Clams

Post by Clams »

Good choice, Bill. The comparison with Loaded Gun is interesting. Like, maybe if the girl in Sounds Better had stayed with the guy, she'd turn into the woman in Loaded Gun. Good stuff.

Here's the whole song...

When I saw her standing there, with her bright eyes and shining hair,
she was looking back at me.
Some are meant to sing, some are meant to talk and some aren't meant to say a thing.
But when she opened up her mouth and that sweet voice came out
I lost track of my own name.
Now she's found herself, and I lost mine

Well the drifter, He holds on to his youth just like it was money in the bank.
And "Lord knows, I can't change" sounds better in the song
than it does with hell to pay.
I might as well of slipped that ring on your finger from a window of a van
as it drove away.
Now she's found herself, and I lost mine

She used to dream them with me, every single crazy one,
until they started hurting her too, now she's got some of her own
and outgrowing me, might be the best thing for her she's ever done.

A light that shines as bright as hers can't be kept in the shadows for too long.
A heart that wants to live and a soul that wants to give
can't just sit at home alone.
Lord, she's give me everything and never wanted anything I couldn't give.
If you don't run you rust

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

The 'Song of the Week' threads are my favorite part of 3DD.

I love that this song is all room mic. And of course, one of Cooley's best, but yall have already said that more eloquently than I could.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

"'Lord knows I can't change' sounds better in the song than it does with hell to pay"

Such a great line about one of those lies rock and roll can't help telling young boys and coming to terms with the realization that rock and roll is faced with heartbreaking trade-offs.

Not sure if Cooley had that intention, but I've always felt that "Sounds Better in the Song" was kind of the compliment to that part of "Marry Me".

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Iowan wrote:"'Lord knows I can't change' sounds better in the song than it does with hell to pay"

Such a great line about one of those lies rock and roll can't help telling young boys and coming to terms with the realization that life is faced with heartbreaking trade-offs.

Not sure if Cooley had that intention, but I've always felt that "Sounds Better in the Song" was kind of the compliment to that part of "Marry Me".

Fixed.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

The Outgrowing me line is the one that kills me. To that point, the story sounds simply like a girl matured and thought she could do better, but it's heartbreaking to hear the narrator admit that she made the right decision. No one wants to admit that they aren't good enough for their SO, or that your lives are moving at different speeds

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Iowan wrote:"'Lord knows I can't change' sounds better in the song than it does with hell to pay"

Such a great line about one of those lies rock and roll can't help telling young boys and coming to terms with the realization that rock and roll is faced with heartbreaking trade-offs.

Just a quick comment/observation as i am about to go out the door, but I always thought bot SBITS and Marry Me had a SRO feel about them, what with the opening guitar lick of marry me and Skynrd allusion in SBITS.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Just a quick comment/observation as i am about to go out the door, but I always thought bot SBITS and Marry Me had a SRO feel about them, what with the opening guitar lick of marry me and Skynrd allusion in SBITS.

I always wondered if the opening riff to "Marry Me" was intentionally meant to reference the Eagles' "Already Gone" or is that what you're getting at here? Considering their disdain for the Eagles I got the impression that it wasn't intentional.

I think this ("Sounds Better In the Song") is another of Cooley's very finest moments and am curious if it is why he once referred to Decoration Day as his solo record.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Sounds Better in the Song. Probably going to go down as one of my all time favorite songs.

I love Cooley's voice and the recording. I have searched out a few live versions and found that 7/29/2004 is about the best I can find. The guitar is so eerie it gives me goose bumps. I would love to hear them break it out on the GGB tour.

Also on my iTunes it showed my play count of SBITS at 124! Yeah that is number one, only to be followed by Loaded Gun.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Amazing - the original is untouchable, but the worked up version they played live a couple times is great too.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Zip City wrote:The Outgrowing me line is the one that kills me. To that point, the story sounds simply like a girl matured and thought she could do better, but it's heartbreaking to hear the narrator admit that she made the right decision. No one wants to admit that they aren't good enough for their SO, or that your lives are moving at different speeds

This is spot on. One of my all time favorite Cooley songs and songs period. Was one of the first DBT tunes to hit me hard, lyrically.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Zip City wrote:The Outgrowing me line is the one that kills me. To that point, the story sounds simply like a girl matured and thought she could do better, but it's heartbreaking to hear the narrator admit that she made the right decision. No one wants to admit that they aren't good enough for their SO, or that your lives are moving at different speeds

This is spot on. One of my all time favorite Cooley songs and songs period. Was one of the first DBT tunes to hit me hard, lyrically.

The narrator sounds like he's the guy that the father in Outfit warned about (stuck in a lifetime of going nowhere). At least he's self aware

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The one-two punch of "Sounds Better.." & "Somethings Gotta Give" are devastating. Two of the most heartbreakingly personal (& vulnerable) songs I've ever heard.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

One aspects of Cooley's songwriting is that he comes up with some of the most honest lines I've ever heard. This song is full of them.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Clams

Post by Clams »

hendooman wrote:Sounds Better in the Song. Probably going to go down as one of my all time favorite songs.

I love Cooley's voice and the recording. I have searched out a few live versions and found that 7/29/2004 is about the best I can find. The guitar is so eerie it gives me goose bumps. I would love to hear them break it out on the GGB tour.

Also on my iTunes it showed my play count of SBITS at 124! Yeah that is number one, only to be followed by Loaded Gun.

Hendooman knows whereof he speaks...
http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2004- ... rix.flac16
If you don't run you rust

Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Clams wrote:
hendooman wrote:Sounds Better in the Song. Probably going to go down as one of my all time favorite songs.

My all time favorite Cooley song. Also, the sound quality of the aforementioned show is top notch for those that don't already have it.
Last edited by Joshua on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

RevMatt wrote:One aspects of Cooley's songwriting is that he comes up with some of the most honest lines I've ever heard. This song is full of them.

You know that is what really draws me to MC, you said that well. I hate to make comparisons but I think this is the exact same reason I am drawn to ones like Kris K, and in some aspects Jamey Johnson. There lyrics are real and so honest yeah sometimes they hurt.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Joshua wrote:
Clams wrote:

My all time favorite Cooley song. Also, the sound quality of the aforementioned show is top notch for those that don't already have it.

Thanks Clams, and Joshua you are right on, the recording is spot on. Not t get off topic but this concert has the only version of wrong for all these years sung by Jason. The way he sets up the song is priceless, please download if you have not already.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:The one-two punch of "Sounds Better.." & "Somethings Gotta Give" are devastating. Two of the most heartbreakingly personal (& vulnerable) songs I've ever heard.

"Something's Gotta Give" is one of Patterson's best. I gotta think that a "Somethings Gotta Give" situation is what he's addressing in the latter half of "World of Hurt".

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:

Thanks for the recs & link. This show kicks some serious ass, and i'm digging the hell out of it as we speak :)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

hendooman wrote:My all time favorite Cooley song. Also, the sound quality of the aforementioned show is top notch for those that don't already have it.

Thanks Clams, and Joshua you are right on, the recording is spot on. Not t get off topic but this concert has the only version of wrong for all these years sung by Jason. The way he sets up the song is priceless, please download if you have not already.[/quote]

Not to keep straying off topic, but while it's the only performance on the archive, there's a great acoustic version of it at the Summer Cousins (P Hood, Jason & Shonna) show from Richmond 5/25/04, which is found here: http://welfare-music.blogspot.com/searc ... %20Cousins

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Smitty wrote:Not to keep straying off topic, but while it's the only performance on the archive, there's a great acoustic version of it at the Summer Cousins (P Hood, Jason & Shonna) show from Richmond 5/25/04, which is found here: http://welfare-music.blogspot.com/searc ... %20Cousins

Nice Smitty, how did you find that? I just checked the OOTD set-list chart and it only shows the show I mentioned. I guess since this is not billed as DBT it wouldn't show up. How is the quality, can't download now but will later. Thanks.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

hendooman wrote:
Smitty wrote:Not to keep straying off topic, but while it's the only performance on the archive, there's a great acoustic version of it at the Summer Cousins (P Hood, Jason & Shonna) show from Richmond 5/25/04, which is found here: http://welfare-music.blogspot.com/searc ... %20Cousins

Nice Smitty, how did you find that? I just checked the OOTD set-list chart and it only shows the show I mentioned. I guess since this is not billed as DBT it wouldn't show up. How is the quality, can't download now but will later. Thanks.

Quality is very good - don't remember the original source, I've had that for a few years - oneofthesedays is far from complete, they do a great job but they have to rely on fans keeping up with setlists, so you can imagine how that goes.

BTW, if you go to airplanescreams.org, it'll direct you to oneofthesedays, but it has Jason Isbell solo & trio setlists as well, amongst others