DBT Track next up... The Fourth Night of My Drinking

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

littlemamma

DBT Track next up... The Fourth Night of My Drinking

Post by littlemamma »

All 5 of my favorite musicians come in screaming at me like the 5th shot of jack...Bam second one
4:45 of straight up rock and shame and truth and lipstick streaks
ever been headed for a fall?
It'll be through with me before I'm through with it.
Heard this for the first time in Gruene last year, it was beautiful

Discuss.
NSFW

bovine knievel

Re: DBT Track next up... The Fourth Night of My Drinking

Post by bovine knievel »

Guess it will be through with me before I'm through with it
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I remember not being that thrilled with this song (dodges flying bottles) at first. Probably put it ahead of only Drag the Lake Charlie, Flying Wallendas, and Eyes Like Glue in my song by song ranking of TBTD.

However, after hearing GGB for the first time, I wanted to go back and listen to TBTD with GGB in mind. I heard 4th Night differently than I had. It was grittier, it was catchier, it just had a bigger impact. I always like the lyrics, but it took awhile for the music to catch up.

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

I'm not crazy about the droning intro, but then Patterson's voice kicks in and it's an instrument on its own adding more texture to the song. Hours later the lyrics keep running through my head. He's got a crazy lyrical sense/meter that is uniquely his.
Not forever, just for now.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The "stick in my hand" line cracks me up everytime.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

one of the best on TBTD in my opinion
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

the third nite of my drinkin'.....i was yellin' at your house.

way vivid image with just a few words. redneck efficiency.

verse after verse.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

The biggest change DBT made between BTCD and TBTD is that they are using the musical arrangements to tell the story as much as the singing and lyrics. In interviews the band members have said that this came from doing an instrumental album with Booker T.

"The Fourth Night of My Drinking" features a matter of fact delivery from Patterson. He telling the story from the point of view of a man coming off a four day bender. He just tells what he can remember. He passes no judgement or makes any apologies. You can almost picture Sgt. Joe Friday imploring him to tell "just the facts". The horror of the ordeal is expressed in the arrangements. Jay's keyboards and Neff's slide playing work like a movie soundtrack. When they hit those chords in between the verses you get a sense of foreboding, that things are about to get even worse. This musical foreshadowing is what helps the song stand up to repeated listenings.

One of the myths about alcoholism is that the alcoholic has to first "hit bottom" before he or she can quit. This is a fallacy because there really is no bottom. It only gets worse as the disease progresses. However, what often prods the alcoholic to get help is a "moment of clarity". This is when the person sees his or her situation for what it really is. At the end of the song the narrator says, "Guess it will be through with me before I'm through with it." Though this isn't exactly a pledge to go to a detox, it does hint that the man understands that his drinking is beyond his control and that the binge itself has a life of its own.

Great song.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

RevMatt wrote:
One of the myths about alcoholism is that the alcoholic has to first "hit bottom" before he or she can quit. This is a fallacy because there really is no bottom. It only gets worse as the disease progresses. However, what often prods the alcoholic to get help is a "moment of clarity". This is when the person sees his or her situation for what it really is. At the end of the song the narrator says, "Guess it will be through with me before I'm through with it." Though this isn't exactly a pledge to go to a detox, it does hint that the man understands that his drinking is beyond his control and that the binge itself has a life of its own.

I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Maluca3 wrote:
RevMatt wrote:

I'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one...

The only bottom is six feet under. And I think Cooley's got something to say about that, too.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

ditg...one day I am going to give a hug with redneck efficiency. If that means good and tight, then alsum.
NSFW

Clams

Post by Clams »

Love this song. Definitely top 3 on TBTD and sometimes it's # 1. At the Philly show the other night, Patterson turned and held up four fingers as a signal to the band that this song was next. It kills live, especially as the opener (at the Recher in Towson last year). Our first track of the week from The Big To-Do and a fine choice, LM.

There was a taste in my mouth, I wasn't liking it
Last edited by Clams on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you don't run you rust

hpz4

Post by hpz4 »

"They didn't take me in, but they let it sink in that I was headed for a fall...Headed for a fall"

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

As a recovering addict, sadly, I have lived every word of this song. It resonated with me immediately.

I always dreaded hearing the inevitable question, "Do you remember what you did last night?"

Answer: No, but I'm sure you are dying to tell me.

Ugh.

Thank God I have awakened every morning for the past 20+ years now with a vivid memory of the night before - except for where I left my car keys and when the water bill is due... :lol:
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

I keep swearing to myself that I'm going to needlepoint some of those lyrics for my office wall.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Maluca3 wrote:I keep swearing to myself that I'm going to needlepoint some of those lyrics for my office wall.

rock and roll

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

i love that sad little slide riff that creeps in at the beginning of the third verse. takes the song to another level.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Duke Silver wrote:i love that sad little slide riff that creeps in at the beginning of the third verse. takes the song to another level.

Yes, and I am pretty sure that the third and fourth verse begin with minor chords. Or at least the chord changes on those verses sound more melancholic than the first two verses. This also drives home how things are deteriorating.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I actually started this story here then removed it and reposted on page 101 of the wtf thread. My thought process was to devide the story into 3 parts with the second
part being in the tales from the swamp thread. Not wanting to throw anybody under the bus I decided not to post it. Long story short I asked a friend to be our designated
driver. The wife said he couldn't do it. I said he could. He got drunk as shit. It was a two night affair and I was to be the DD on the second night. I bailed and said FUCK IT!
So I stayed home and got drunk. The next morning when I got up I notice that I had hit the fantasy 5 for $500. I was still pretty pissed about the weekends events and
I will say between events that occured at homecoming 2014 and the weekend in question pretty much cured me of ever wanting to attend another homecoming.
So with $500 in my pocket I decided I would celebrate my winnings all by myself and I went to my favorite bar. I had been drinking the previous 3 nights and it was
now night 4. After I got a few drinks in me I started to fill pretty good. One of the girls that worked there approached me and wanted to know how she could help me.
Feeling cocky I said sure. "find me a Drive-by Truckers song on that there jukebox and I'll give you $20" She took off over to the jukebox and after a few minutes she
started screaming "I won I won" I thought to myself it wasn't a bet. Then the fourth night of my drinking started playing. A teardrop came to my eye. I finished my
drink and went home to face the music. My life hasn't been the same since :|
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Swamp, that story is fitting enough to introduce the song in concert!

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

As much as I hate texting our designated driver ran a red light right in front of a cop who was busy texting.
Then he missed the drive-way to our hotel and got on I-75 by mistake with no exits for 10 miles. It was at
that point I decided to make some changes in my life.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

So often it's our reaction to that taste in our mouth we don't like that determines who's through with who first.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Dean

Post by Dean »

"My checks and balances up shit creek"